PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering and lock-ups using certain mission maps

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:42 AM
I have been working with the FMB and noticed when playing missions with the Gulf of Finland maps that the game stutters and almost always freezes up. The freeze-up usally occurrs near the end of the mission. I've noticed this not only on missions I've created but others I have downloaded. Usually I'll get a memory address error message and then some hew address.

Any idea what can cause this? I usually get a low virtual memory notica as well. I tried increasing my virtual memory to 500M but it still happens. I am running a 2gig P4 processor with 512Meg of RAM and an nVIDIA GeoForce4 420 Go graphics card. I have no problems with any other missions or maps.

Please try to make explanations simple since i am not that computer literate and if you go technospeak I'll fade....

TIA

Johann

Horrido!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p1f0f308bee355fa7a1aba50e8d6381fb/fb4387a4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:42 AM
I have been working with the FMB and noticed when playing missions with the Gulf of Finland maps that the game stutters and almost always freezes up. The freeze-up usally occurrs near the end of the mission. I've noticed this not only on missions I've created but others I have downloaded. Usually I'll get a memory address error message and then some hew address.

Any idea what can cause this? I usually get a low virtual memory notica as well. I tried increasing my virtual memory to 500M but it still happens. I am running a 2gig P4 processor with 512Meg of RAM and an nVIDIA GeoForce4 420 Go graphics card. I have no problems with any other missions or maps.

Please try to make explanations simple since i am not that computer literate and if you go technospeak I'll fade....

TIA

Johann

Horrido!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p1f0f308bee355fa7a1aba50e8d6381fb/fb4387a4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:54 AM
Please post your DxDiag in tech support
Click here for DxDiag_Instructions (http://www.mudmovers.com/tech/system.htm)

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 09:24 AM
I posted a similar problem here a few weeks ago, and I too have 512Mb DDR RAM. The general concensus was that I need more RAM to effectively run the Finland map. It is a huge map and takes up bucket-loads of memory. Hence the other maps work fine on all the same settings.

Perhaps the Finland map would work better on lower res settings?

P.E.

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Plastic_Elvis wrote:
- I posted a similar problem here a few weeks ago, and
- I too have 512Mb DDR RAM. The general concensus was
- that I need more RAM to effectively run the Finland
- map. It is a huge map and takes up bucket-loads of
- memory. Hence the other maps work fine on all the
- same settings.
-
- Perhaps the Finland map would work better on lower
- res settings?
-
- P.E.

Increase your page file on your HD.

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 10:51 AM
the bigger maps are full of destructible objects

the FB maps are highly detailed & full of 3D objects

these things are all un-compressed when you spawn , this is what takes processing power & is part of the reason why you get spawn lag

with a map full of objects ~~> the program ( FB ) updates the condition of every single destructible object multiple times every second

more objects require more processing power to maintain smooth running

also

the maps details ( what it is ) & the placement of all objects & all info about it is stored in your RAM as your playing with your HD being also serched for info as your flying & firing inside the game

so the more RAM the better
the faster your RAM the better
the faster your HD the better ( the searcing for info from the HD is also a cause for pauses )

FB is a RAM & CPU performance HOG

i max out my 512 Mb of RAM every gaming session

for online the ONLINE maps are best

the GoF map requires a good system for it to run smooth ( especially if you have laden your coop on that map with a lot of stuff going on

for Online play to be smooth as possible you need ....
1) small map used
2) low ppl No ( depends on host computer power & connection speed )
3) low or no AAA ( causes heavy processing power )
4) low amount of objects

everyone has a different running game because everyone has a different computer

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks Badsight.

I kind of figured that it was some sort of memory problem. I just wasn't sure if it was the RAM or the virtual memory.

Would it help if I upgraded to 1024meg of RAM? I know the mem cards are availalble. Besides it might help since I plan on getting LOMAC and I figure that will be even more of a memory hog.

Thanks again for the reply.

Johann

Horrido!

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Save the mission, exit FMB, then play. Don't click "play now".

<font face="Courier New">

_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.

</font>

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 02:16 PM
KarayaEine wrote:
- Thanks Badsight.
-
- I kind of figured that it was some sort of memory
- problem. I just wasn't sure if it was the RAM or the
- virtual memory.
-
- Would it help if I upgraded to 1024meg of RAM? I
- know the mem cards are availalble. Besides it might
- help since I plan on getting LOMAC and I figure that
- will be even more of a memory hog.
-
- Thanks again for the reply.
-
- Johann

Yes and yes again ! If you are going to host a huge map like that with objects and lots of players you will need to have 1024mb of memory and NO PAGE FILE !!!!

even if you have SCSI or S-ATA 10.000 rpg harddisks in a raid configuration they are uber-slow compared to your memory.

I have an old Map "battle of Kerch 43" (my first online map)that takes something like 500-600 mb constantly in RAM when i host it .... it has more then 1000 additional objects. When using the page file (swap file) it is totally unplayable......even if Windows has enough RAM free it still writes stuff in that stupid file.

the finland map is HUGE !!! i have never hosted that map but i think it will be the same story as with my crimea map

page file is a NONO !

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:22 PM
I tried that as well and the same thing happens /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Johann

Horrido!

XyZspineZyX
10-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Thor,

pardon my ignorance but what exactly is 'page file'? And how do I change/modify/disable?

TIA

Johann

Horrido!