PDA

View Full Version : Plea for updated sound effects

bpk1970
05-15-2004, 12:52 AM
It's clear that PF is truly a new game, and not just a simple expansion pack. And those preview pics are just stunning - the new water effects and clouds are insane. I've been to a number of places in the South Pacific, and the coral reef and beachside on the Midway map really cover it well.

However, I hope that Luthier and the rest of the team dedicate some time to reworking the sound effects in PF. We all know that the Il2 engine uses advanced, digital multi-sampling to create realistic doppler effects. But many of us would just love to hear a convincing 0.50 caliber or the deep growl of a Pratt & Whitney engine. Please consider asking the sound engineers to produce some new sounds.

Also, ambient sound effects would be nice - such as the sound of waves and wind or the low drone of gigantic diesel engines on the flat-top. Anyone who's ever been on a ship or a tropical island knows that these are omnipresent sounds and really do add to the immersion (although most of us will be up in the sky).

But most of all, please consider reworking some of the sound effects (especially the Browning MG!!).

Thanks.

P.S. I know this sounds like knit-picking, but maybe select some really moving, well-composed patriotic music that lends to the mood and gaming experience. Such music really is an integral part of a game that helps separate the good from the truly classic games. CFS2 was not all that, but the music was very good.

bpk1970
05-15-2004, 12:52 AM
It's clear that PF is truly a new game, and not just a simple expansion pack. And those preview pics are just stunning - the new water effects and clouds are insane. I've been to a number of places in the South Pacific, and the coral reef and beachside on the Midway map really cover it well.

However, I hope that Luthier and the rest of the team dedicate some time to reworking the sound effects in PF. We all know that the Il2 engine uses advanced, digital multi-sampling to create realistic doppler effects. But many of us would just love to hear a convincing 0.50 caliber or the deep growl of a Pratt & Whitney engine. Please consider asking the sound engineers to produce some new sounds.

Also, ambient sound effects would be nice - such as the sound of waves and wind or the low drone of gigantic diesel engines on the flat-top. Anyone who's ever been on a ship or a tropical island knows that these are omnipresent sounds and really do add to the immersion (although most of us will be up in the sky).

But most of all, please consider reworking some of the sound effects (especially the Browning MG!!).

Thanks.

P.S. I know this sounds like knit-picking, but maybe select some really moving, well-composed patriotic music that lends to the mood and gaming experience. Such music really is an integral part of a game that helps separate the good from the truly classic games. CFS2 was not all that, but the music was very good.

necrobaron
05-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Great post. I wholeheartedly agree. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

"Not all who wander are lost."

michaelbjork
05-15-2004, 03:17 AM
Agreed!! Hope they will use a known talented composer for the music! For example, Michael Giacchino, Christopher Lennertz or the best of them all: Hans Zimmer! That should create the right mood for this game! PS. The composer for CFS2 was good to! DS.

yerpalal
05-15-2004, 05:53 AM
And since this thread touches on a particular sticking point for me let me add that the P-38 sound is nothing, I repeat, nothing at all like the sound of the real arcraft. There is at least one flying, at least there was when I lived in Texas - the C A F in west Texas has one and I have heard the sound of that aircraft and it is something never to be forgotten.

Please, please, please fix this.

(OK, off my soapbox)

Capt._Tenneal
05-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Good request, let me add my 2 cents. On the ambient sounds, I hope they somehow include sounds of flight deck activity. You know crowd noise, flight crew yelling instructions in the background, PA systems blaring out messages, etc. On the Japanese carriers maybe even a bugler, if they ever used a bugler for carrier operations. Those would add to the immersion, IMO.

heywooood
05-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Capn -

On ambient sounds.. hopefully there will be lots of third party input here..

Extreme one and Poymando did some fine work using the 'radio chatter' feature of FB in their work - but it would be great to hear all of the sounds you refer to as background noise whilst one is parked on the carrier deck.

yerpalal
05-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Absolutely agree. Don't forget the bos'un pipe either.

And on the U.S. ships a "now hear this, now hear this . . .etc' would be top notch.

heywooood
05-15-2004, 01:45 PM
"will the person or persons responsible for stealing the Captains strawberries please return them to the officers' mess"

..sorry...'Ensign Pulver' you know..sorry.

Box-weasel
05-15-2004, 01:58 PM
The .50 cal MGs remind me of the sound balloons in All-American Men of War comics:
"Budda, budda, budda!"
http://gvtc.com/~thh/86.jpg
http://gvtc.com/~thh/96.jpg
Also, these may be the inspiration for FB's gunflashes. Unfortunately, immersive, accurate sounds remain missing in action.

heywooood
05-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Well - I've got good sound on my rig so the guns sound GREAT. thanks to Mssrs Altec and Lansing..