PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed - Patch 3 - Skills Removed / XP Cap / Lost Skill Points

Leon Kowalski
04-13-2016, 04:59 AM
My strategy has been to play the side missions that award skill points, to be as skilled as possible before going after Ull. Before Patch 3, I had a few left to unlock.

After installing the patch today, I load up my last save and see that there are indeed some skills gone (ones I had unlocked), as per the patch notes, and I now have two skills not unlocked and no skill points available.

So I set out to do the last Wenja rescue mission visible on my map, and when I walk through a new location, I get a popup tutorial saying I've reached the XP cap and can earn no more. My map currently shows NO missions (main or side) that say they will award skill points.

I have not gone after Ull yet, and have only a few beast hunt side missions and a few villager missions; maybe there is still a chance to get the last 7 or 8 skill points I need to unlock those last two skills, but I'm disillusioned that it's no longer possible.

I might not mind giving up those hard-earned "overpowered" skills that the patch took away if I had been refunded the skill points I put into them. Really unhappy with this.

Mathias338
04-13-2016, 07:38 PM
My strategy has been to play the side missions that award skill points, to be as skilled as possible before going after Ull. Before Patch 3, I had a few left to unlock.

After installing the patch today, I load up my last save and see that there are indeed some skills gone (ones I had unlocked), as per the patch notes, and I now have two skills not unlocked and no skill points available.

So I set out to do the last Wenja rescue mission visible on my map, and when I walk through a new location, I get a popup tutorial saying I've reached the XP cap and can earn no more. My map currently shows NO missions (main or side) that say they will award skill points.

I have not gone after Ull yet, and have only a few beast hunt side missions and a few villager missions; maybe there is still a chance to get the last 7 or 8 skill points I need to unlock those last two skills, but I'm disillusioned that it's no longer possible.

I might not mind giving up those hard-earned "overpowered" skills that the patch took away if I had been refunded the skill points I put into them. Really unhappy with this.

Hi Leon,

just to double-check:
- you installed the Patch 3 on which platform?
- you just clicked on 'Continue' or loaded a separate save file?
- the XP bar is not the only way to get skill points. You can also get some by completing side-missions, villager missions, discovering locations, caves, collectibles, etc.
So a locked XP bar doesn't mean you can't earn any new skill points. Have you done every other activity available in the open-world?

And just to be sure: you lost your skill points after installing the patch 3 and not starting a new game in Survivor Mode, correct?

Thanks,
Mat

Leon Kowalski
04-15-2016, 03:08 AM
Hi Mat,

- installed on PC (automatically downloaded by Steam)
- clicked Continue as usual; no new game, no new survivor mode game
- I had been grinding through side missions and have few left; those that are available do not offer skill points. There are only a few undiscovered place markers left. I've done all the outposts and have only the Udam bonfire left. I have done all the totems but do have a decent number of bracelets, hands, masks on the map.

So there are things left to do, and I understand there's a possibility that doing a mission might unlock another mission that I don't see now. It's just that it doesn't seem like there might be enough since I no longer can earn points while earning XP. I don't really want to go back to an older save.

When I say I lost skill points, I'm referring to the points I saved up and spent on skills prior to Patch 3, skills that the patch removed. The notes list 12 skills that were removed, and I believe I had most of those unlocked prior to the patch. At a minimum that would have been 12 skill points, but could have been 20 or 30 even. I need 7 more (I think) to unlock the two skills I haven't unlocked. If the game had taken away the skills, but refunded me the 12 or 30 skill points I spent, I would have immediately unlocked those last two skills, got my silly achievement, and kept playing.

Thanks for replying.

ScourgeofPeace
04-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi Mat,

- installed on PC (automatically downloaded by Steam)
- clicked Continue as usual; no new game, no new survivor mode game
- I had been grinding through side missions and have few left; those that are available do not offer skill points. There are only a few undiscovered place markers left. I've done all the outposts and have only the Udam bonfire left. I have done all the totems but do have a decent number of bracelets, hands, masks on the map.

So there are things left to do, and I understand there's a possibility that doing a mission might unlock another mission that I don't see now. It's just that it doesn't seem like there might be enough since I no longer can earn points while earning XP. I don't really want to go back to an older save.

When I say I lost skill points, I'm referring to the points I saved up and spent on skills prior to Patch 3, skills that the patch removed. The notes list 12 skills that were removed, and I believe I had most of those unlocked prior to the patch. At a minimum that would have been 12 skill points, but could have been 20 or 30 even. I need 7 more (I think) to unlock the two skills I haven't unlocked. If the game had taken away the skills, but refunded me the 12 or 30 skill points I spent, I would have immediately unlocked those last two skills, got my silly achievement, and kept playing.

Thanks for replying.

Hey Leon,

Regarding your mention above about skills being removed, that is ONLY when starting a game in the new Survivor Mode. If you are playing your normal walkthrough, the skills are the same.