PDA

View Full Version : B,C,D...what's the difference?

JG7_Rall
02-06-2004, 07:32 PM
S!

I realize that the P51 B and C both lack fuselage fuel tanks and only have 4 .50's thus giving them greater maneuverability and less firepower, but what are the other differences between the B, C, and D? Also, the D with the N-9 sight...is it any different besides that fact?

Thanks in advance!

Rall (Hutch 51 on ubi)

JG7_Rall
02-06-2004, 07:32 PM
S!

I realize that the P51 B and C both lack fuselage fuel tanks and only have 4 .50's thus giving them greater maneuverability and less firepower, but what are the other differences between the B, C, and D? Also, the D with the N-9 sight...is it any different besides that fact?

Thanks in advance!

Rall (Hutch 51 on ubi)

Chuck_Older
02-06-2004, 07:38 PM
"Operational Suitabilty of the P-51D"

according to a report from Eglin feild on 8/5/44, the P-51D was basically similar to a P-51B-5, with main differences revolving around
1) Engine
2) armament
3) bomb racks (hardpoints)
4) canopy

the sergeant will for, his sergeant's pay, obey the captain 'till his dying day~ Clash

aerick2
02-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Somebody in another thread said that although the "B" had four instead of six .50's, they were a different gun that had a much higher rate of fire. So it wasn't neccessarily less firepower.

horseback
02-06-2004, 09:03 PM
The only difference between the B and C models in RL was that one was built in LA and the other (C, I think) was built in Fort Worth.

The fuselage tanks were installed in most B and C models, but they had an engine rated for higher altitudes, and that, coupled with the higher profile, is what gave the razorback Mustangs their edge over the bubbletop D and K models.

In the expansion pack, from what I've seen, the C will have the blown Malcolm hood, which will give you fewer canopy struts for other aircraft to hide behind, and possibly a fin fillet like the later D model for enhanced stability. I don't know that one will have the fuselage tank and not the other, but that is a possibility.

Cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

VW-IceFire
02-06-2004, 10:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aerick2:
Somebody in another thread said that although the "B" had four instead of six .50's, they were a different gun that had a much higher rate of fire. So it wasn't neccessarily less firepower.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought that was disproven...

There were quite a few problems with higher G loads and the guns jamming due to the design. Apparently they fixed that in the D...mind you we wont have that problem here anyways...but that was a crucial operational difference.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!