PDA

View Full Version : #1 THING that is NEEDED going forward

SWalker82
03-29-2016, 08:24 PM
We can all disagree on the eras/locations and/or what figures should be in the next game, but the #1 thing that needs to be in the next game is a LONG story with good missions.

Notice in Assassins Creed 2 I believe we had 14 Sequences. Within those sequences we had many missions and not simply hey go follow somebody. That came up once or twice but I remember for one of the sequences you had to assassinate 4 or 5 different people within the sequence.

Fast forward to the present games. You usually only get 1 assassination mission after 3 or 4 minor memories that set up the main assassination. If they are keeping with the 1 assassination per sequence (which is not the end of the world) we deserve a 14 sequence game again where each sequence has 6-7 memories.

With the 1 year delay (who knows maybe even longer) we should get at least a longer story which should help improve the game. 14 sequences sounds reasonable.

Thoughts?

SixKeys
03-30-2016, 01:21 AM
Longer story doesn't automatically equal better game. It's how the story is told that matters. You can have an amazing 6-hour story and a boring, incoherent 20-hour mess.

Fury074ubi
03-30-2016, 01:38 AM
Longer story doesn't automatically equal better game. It's how the story is told that matters. You can have an amazing 6-hour story and a boring, incoherent 20-hour mess.

I agree, but still want a longer game. Assassin's Creed II is a pretty good bench mark for game length. I also want a bigger game in size of maps and such, and the PS4 can provide us with both.

BananaBlighter
03-30-2016, 07:44 AM

True but a 20hr masterpiece is IMO better than a 6hr one instead. There's always something that can be improved, but of course the developers do have limited resources. So a longer story is more likely to be lower quality if it's worked on by the same people for the same amount of time.

If Ubi had more time and money to spend on these games then a lot of things could be better.

Farlander1991
03-30-2016, 09:39 AM
AC2 has one of the shorter campaigns in the series, the total average of all mission playthroughs combined (just the missions, nothing else in between) is 5 hours without DLC and 6 with DLC. What makes it feel long is the time span and the fact that there's actually no fast travel system in the game that works inside a particular city (only between cities) so you do quite a bit of walking between mission to mission.

Which, I might add, even though AC2 has about 70 (without DLC)/90 (with DLC) memories, most of them are 2-3 minutes in length. Heck, the first five memories of the game are about the length of the first Havana mission in AC4.

Besides, length isn't everything. AC2 would've been much better if Venice was either cut out entirely or fully restructured to be of shorter length or totally different narrative. As soon as you get there the plot progression grinds to a halt, with arbitrary missions and plot devices made to just somehow make us stay in Venice longer (especially evident in Carnevale sequence which, while an interesting idea, makes no sense plot-wise the way it's implemented in the game and Arsenal sequence which has some of the worst missions in the entire game).

Number of sequences and missions doesn't matter. What matters is how the story is told.

dxsxhxcx
03-30-2016, 01:53 PM
What matters is how the story is told.

Something at which (even with the flaws it may have) AC2 is very good at, (IMO) its narrative pace is the best of all games, I attribute that to the multiple cities and change of scenery and I hope the next game bring them back and ditch these huge single maps for good.

LoyalACFan
04-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Size doesn't matter o____---

Alright, I had to, I'm 15 at heart. But generally yes, I agree, the past few games have been distressingly short; @SixKeys you're right in theory that longer stories aren't necessarily better, but for a game like AC that leans really heavily on big assassination setpieces and infiltrations (which take a lot of time for the proper build-up and delivery) to fulfill the core fantasy of being an Assassin, a six-hour story feels cheap.

Plus, I think we've all been noticing a trend in the series where we're getting more and more B-grade side missions and less main story content, and that's BS. I would have traded 75% of the friggin Paris stories for a beefier story mode with more assassinations. Unity actually had great assassination missions, it's just that they provided little to no build-up to each target, save for maybe La Touche and Germain, and there were precious few of them compared to the dozens of cookie-cutter Paris Stories (which obviously require a lot less effort and inspiration to make, but also don't really add anything memorable to the game. They just as well could have brought back the ACB Animus stealth rooms and it would've been basically the same thing).