PDA

View Full Version : Just how accurate are IL2's Campaigns?

DynamicBass
03-24-2004, 08:42 AM
I wonder if anyone out there can help me with this one...

Playing the German campaign recently and showing the game off to a friend who studies German WW2 Ace's, he commented on the accuracy of the game in some aspects.

These include: as you fly different missions every day were these for real? Did Oleg and his team study the war diaries of the different LW units and are the missions excact as happened by that unit on that particlar day i.e. was the weather for that day the same as is presented to you for your mission?

Is the target correct as happened on that day? and are your squad mates correct according to who served in that squadron at that time? If so, then when they get killed are they replaced with an individual who realy did join the squadron later?

I doubt that all the above could be true, however who knows, maybe this game is that accurate! I mean we have all been suprised and perhaps even astounded by at least some of the aspects of accuracy to this fantastic game!

Anyone who could shed some light on this please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dynamicbass

DynamicBass
03-24-2004, 08:42 AM
I wonder if anyone out there can help me with this one...

Playing the German campaign recently and showing the game off to a friend who studies German WW2 Ace's, he commented on the accuracy of the game in some aspects.

These include: as you fly different missions every day were these for real? Did Oleg and his team study the war diaries of the different LW units and are the missions excact as happened by that unit on that particlar day i.e. was the weather for that day the same as is presented to you for your mission?

Is the target correct as happened on that day? and are your squad mates correct according to who served in that squadron at that time? If so, then when they get killed are they replaced with an individual who realy did join the squadron later?

I doubt that all the above could be true, however who knows, maybe this game is that accurate! I mean we have all been suprised and perhaps even astounded by at least some of the aspects of accuracy to this fantastic game!

Anyone who could shed some light on this please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dynamicbass

Cessna182
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
From page 57 of the original game's manual:

"We do not claim to have given absolutely accurate coverage of the history of a pilot career or any subdivision in all the battles of the war. However, we have done our best to keep our scenarios in line with the events that occurred in real life."

Pretty much covers it, no...?

Capt._Tenneal
03-24-2004, 09:43 AM
I know your squadmates are fictitious and the names are randomly generated. The pilot photos are also of present day people. Once in a while you will encounter real life aces (when I was playing as a Russian fighter pilot I ran across Werner Molders on a mission, for example), but I don't know if they actually program the aces' personal tactics and idiosyncrasies when flying.

DynamicBass
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I guessed as much regards the pilots, however the quote from pg 57 in the original manual is an intersting one.

It intimates that pilots aside the rest of my questions could be answered in the positive.

(I should have read the manual myself before posting)

Thanks anyway!