PDA

View Full Version : CPU at 80 - 100 %

BudGie667
03-22-2016, 07:35 PM
Hey guys,

So i was just wandering if anyone else is having these issues, when i start up the game, my cpu maxes out and stays there at 100%, and when playing the game its sitting between 80 - 100 %.
This means i cant stream without it stuttering and freezing in the stream example here www.twitch.tv/budgie1979uk/v/54667954

my system specs here

cpu core i7 4790 k no oc @ 4.2 ghz
ram 32 gb ddr3
gfx GTX 970 4 GB
Hd samsung evo ssd 250gb
hd's 5 tb optical drives
OS windows 10

am running the game on a 27" @ 1920 x 1080 mostly on high or ultra settings with fps between 30 min and 90 max

just curious if anyone else is having this happen with the cpu, as it seems to be causing issues in performance to me, poorly optimised ? was hoping something would be in the patch notes to remedy this issue :/

Xintar08
03-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Tried disabling HT in Bios? Also disable VOIP in Audio settings.

These are known issues causing framedrops, freezes, lag and high CPU.

ifreex
03-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Same problem. Always 100% (even at low settings). impossible to play
Problems started when I changed GTX 950 to GTX 970/
i5 4670k (4.1 GHz)

BudGie667
03-22-2016, 07:53 PM
no i hadnt tried disabling HT in the bios, ive never needed to for other games, i can always try it, see if it helps, but i was thinking it was just the game being poorly optimised.
Is this a known issue then, as i didnt really find much in the way of posts about it, just about the performance in the beta's ?

And as for the voip, i use teamspeak anyway, but do have the in game voip active for talking to randoms .. will try deactivating it now and see if it makes any difference though :-)
thanks for the reply and info :-)

Xintar08
03-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Some games have the HT problem and some dont. It might even differ from OS/System for the same game. I have no good explanation for it but worth a try since it is a reocurring thing for these type of problems in several games. Seems more Win10 users than Win7 users are having this issue.

Hope it solves it for you :)

eXIDtv
03-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Same here, no setting changes effects your CPU either, however if you set the affinity of the CPU to 1/2 or 3 you will see that your GPU ALSO drops in performance and uses less GPU power, but then again if you do this you lose almost 20 FPS - i don't get why the CPU and GPU would be linked this way.

Aiden_Warren
03-22-2016, 09:07 PM
did you check if it needs repasting?

Drycustard
03-23-2016, 05:04 AM
I really couldn't believe that my CPU was running at 100% with this game seeing that I'm running an i5 3.3 GHz. The symptoms of this issue for me are as follows:

1. Choppier frames
2. When "loading" new area the textures on cars/roads begin to suffer
3. Going from a sprint ---> jog ---> walk
4. If I continue to press onward when these prior symptoms are occurring I eventually fall through the map.

There is no reason I should be experiencing these issues. Please optimize this game or post a workaround, until then its completely unenjoyable!

ndgsodo
03-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the team guys

I5 6600k
16gb ram
Xfx r9 390

Cpu ranges from 85 to 97 percent usage on thedivision.exe while out in the world QA says they cant replicate it lsst i heard..

Xintar08
03-23-2016, 10:24 AM
My CPU is mostly at 20-75%. Havent checked during stressful NPC combat. Running the game at 1440P and a mix of Ultra/VHigh/High with shadows medium/low and POST FX AA off. No FPS cap or limiter.

mc_conor
03-23-2016, 10:39 AM
2500k@4.5 almost 100% at all times.

Drycustard
03-25-2016, 10:37 PM
I really couldn't believe that my CPU was running at 100% with this game seeing that I'm running an i5 3.3 GHz. The symptoms of this issue for me are as follows:

1. Choppier frames
2. When "loading" new area the textures on cars/roads begin to suffer
3. Going from a sprint ---> jog ---> walk
4. If I continue to press onward when these prior symptoms are occurring I eventually fall through the map.

There is no reason I should be experiencing these issues. Please optimize this game or post a workaround, until then its completely unenjoyable!

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my issue. I took off my cpu fan and made sure it was connecting with the chip. Played for 30 minutes to test it out and didn't fall through the map nor did I experience any of the previous issues. Loading times picked up as well. I would recommend to anyone else that either you cpu isn't beefy enough to handle this game OR there's an underlying issue with your setup. You may need to reapply thermal paste. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to the rest of you!

*Edit* If anyone was wondering I'm running an i5 4950 3.3GHz

Rombibombii
03-26-2016, 06:03 AM
Welcome to the club: Link to another similar thread: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1418883-90-CPU-Usage-since-22-March-patch!

Rizilliant
03-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Im not having probems with usage that ive noticed, but my GPU temp begins to get hot after long periods of play.. And i have a large fan on my card, and larger fan allowing airflow into the Tower, and a water cooled system.. It starts to get almost to 180 degrees

Xintar08
03-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Drycustard:
Great find, I guess a lot of people with similar issues also might have overheating GPU and CPUs etc. The best way to check this is to log temperatures. (log over time, not just look at them on the desktop).

free2playjunkie
03-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Drycustard:
Great find, I guess a lot of people with similar issues also might have overheating GPU and CPUs etc. The best way to check this is to log temperatures.

Nope. This problem is far too widespread for the issue to be simple over heating. Thousands of people would need new thermal paste and also whatever they are using to monitor temp would have to be wrong. Since the legion of people having the problem report that their temps are fine.

Xintar08
03-26-2016, 04:27 PM
I did not say everybody has computers full of dust, bad cooling, overclocked hardware, bad fans, skewed coolers or old paste that needs replacing but some might have. And if they reporte that the temp is fine, why the "nope"? Isnt that what Im saying? Check the temp and if its fine its fine, then its ofc. something else. High temp is just a result of something else. An indicator, not a cause.

Rombibombii
03-26-2016, 06:25 PM
I did not say everybody has computers full of dust, bad cooling, overclocked hardware, bad fans, skewed coolers or old paste that needs replacing but some might have. And if they reporte that the temp is fine, why they nope? Isnt that what Im saying? Check the temp.

Not to forget that if you have heating issues and it really does get too high many CPU's/Mobo's will force a shutdown. Though throttling will happen at first. But people who don't think about these things probably haven't got their hardware overclocked in general and/or haven't build their own PC. Ofcourse this is a generalisation.

Niimou
03-26-2016, 07:07 PM
I have the same exact problem, the game uses 80-100% of my cpu and it really makes doing anything else while playing just impossible.

I really doubt this would be an overheating issue, I've been keeping eye on my cpu temps while playing and they have been maxing at 57-59C, so it shouldn't even thermal throttle.
Also my parts are freshly installed, only 2 months old in a completely new case with optimized airflow (Fractal Design Define R5).

I'm running:
i5-4690K, no OC, cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2
16Gb DDR3
Asus Strix GTX 970 (factory OC)
Windows 10 Professional 64bit

scousekirel
03-26-2016, 09:46 PM
can tell yea now it not a heat issue, i water cool my cpu and it never goes about 40c with a huge overclock that is stable as hell,

BudGie667
03-26-2016, 09:59 PM
ok im the original poster,

And it had taken me a few days to deactivate the HT option in my bios, simply because i forgot each tiem i started my pc, and couldnt be bothered to restart and sort it out.
But today i remembered and have disabled HT in my bios.
The results are worse than with this option on, cpu is constantly maxed out at 100% dosnt drop slightly, and thats just standing outside the post office...

In reply to the comments about overheating and thermal paste... seriously, you dont think that most gamers with the kind of rig most of us have, who know how to build and overclock, wouldnt be aware of something as simple as over heating.

This is not an overheating issue, its not even graphics related, its purly cpu processing related, and not being optimised, could be a windows 10 issue, but i think people on windows 8 or others are also having this cpu issue, so its not even windows version specific.

http://i.imgur.com/hJBnXId.jpg

I literally was just running the division, this isnt even when im trying to stream, so for my pc to be running like this, with just this game running is ridiculous, clearly there is a problem, and i really would like solutions and suggestions anyone might have that dosnt border on the stupidity of no knowledge ..like suggesting its a heating issue ..

Xintar08
03-26-2016, 11:27 PM
can tell yea now it not a heat issue, i water cool my cpu and it never goes about 40c with a huge overclock that is stable as hell,
a good and stable OC Is not all about temp, that was mentioned as one of a ton of potential issues indicating a problem, not causing. If you overclock and the CPU isnt getting enough power its gonna cause problems, instability, crashes etc, in certain stressed situations. The same goes for GPU, RAM etc. There are tons of potential problems related to overclocking and a clock that behaves fine in one game and one gameengine doesnt have to do so in another one.

This is not an overheating issue, its not even graphics related, its purly cpu processing related, and not being optimised, could be a windows 10 issue, but i think people on windows 8 or others are also having this cpu issue, so its not even windows version specific Not being optimized for what? Wouldnt an old I7 have issues if that was the case?

And where do I suggest your specific issue is a heating issue? I reply to one person confirming too having a heating issues and ofc. if one has it other can. Who is saying you do not have a problem with your CPU running at 100%?

And as I have stated many times in this forum, it seems that the majority of users having problems are running Windows 10.

EDIT:
Even coming to a support forum blaming a game for causing trouble when you are running an overclocked system is just stupidity. Reset your Bios to default and see how it works first. The same for the GPU.

scousekirel
03-26-2016, 11:40 PM
you are kidding me you think it a bad overclock, even removing an overclock from a 5960x i7 with 8 cores still same issue oh and running on a 1000w corsair gold rated psu yea there anit enough power to that, its the game not the hardware, dont defend the devs when loads posting the same issue

Xintar08
03-26-2016, 11:48 PM
I am not thinking or suggesting any specific cause to your problem, Im just talking about potential issues. Gold rated PSU you say? 1000W you say, well that doesnt mean much if the 12v rails doesnt have the dedicated ampere it need from that wattage. Even then It doesnt count much if your 12v rails have all the ampere it need for the overclock if you are not giving the CPU/BUS etc. enough voltage to tackle the situations for this specific gameengine combined with the clock.The same for your RAM if your voltage is wrong for this game, the timings are to tight etc. And btw. I am not saying its this or that, just talking about potential issues.

Mostly if your OC can handle hard stresstesting for a while its ok, but some gameengines do not go well with OC at all. Its the result of all the variables coming together that makes the result. And as mentioned, most people with issues seems to be running Windows 10. (that might also be random)

I replied to 1 person saying he knew all about OC and because his temp is 40% it was a good OC, well that doesnt guarantee anything. And people who support you are not mindreaders Tell them the details of your OC, tell them you tried resetting the Bios running everything stock etc.

BudGie667
03-27-2016, 11:07 AM
ok,

I think i may have found the issue, or the issue in my case, it may not be the same for others but take a look and see.
I have the benefit of running two screens so can look and watch whats going on while im playing the game.
So, i switched to the processes tab, to see what was hogging the cpu so much, and in fact its not just the game, it just seems that way at frst.
After taking a closer look at the processes, i noticed this process running, so clicked on the open file location, and was surprised to find out what it is.
Take a look at this image

http://i.imgur.com/Gb9NY5L.jpg

now it seems to be connecter to rockstar games, and im guessing connected to my gta v instal, but when i stop/end this process the performance improves bigtime.

Before

after

http://i.imgur.com/Dg2t49o.jpg

so as you can see, there is an obvious improvement.
Now i dont know if this is the case for everyone else having these issues, if its specific to windows 10 or not, but its fixed the issue for me, maybe it can help others too :-)

Vulme
03-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Here is my usage, stood in Base of Operations.

http://imgur.com/blNYrbX
http://i.imgur.com/blNYrbX.png

82.6% CPU

I have an i5 6600K - Stock Clock
EVGA GTX 780SC - Stock Clock
8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM

I am running the game on medium, locked frames to 60. I also sometimes get the annoying input bug where pressing a direction does nothing then my char will constantly move in the direction no matter what I press, even if I stop touching the keyboard. Very annoying when trying to doge or change cover. Worked fine before last patch.

Xintar08
03-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Bud:
Great find :D Try and get it into the "known issues and workarounds" thread.

Niimou
03-27-2016, 03:08 PM
ok,

I think i may have found the issue, or the issue in my case, it may not be the same for others but take a look and see.
I have the benefit of running two screens so can look and watch whats going on while im playing the game.
So, i switched to the processes tab, to see what was hogging the cpu so much, and in fact its not just the game, it just seems that way at frst.
After taking a closer look at the processes, i noticed this process running, so clicked on the open file location, and was surprised to find out what it is.
Take a look at this image

http://i.imgur.com/Gb9NY5L.jpg

now it seems to be connecter to rockstar games, and im guessing connected to my gta v instal, but when i stop/end this process the performance improves bigtime.

Before

after

http://i.imgur.com/Dg2t49o.jpg

so as you can see, there is an obvious improvement.
Now i dont know if this is the case for everyone else having these issues, if its specific to windows 10 or not, but its fixed the issue for me, maybe it can help others too :-)

I checked this myself because I have GTA V installed too, unfortunately this isnt the issue in my case.

http://i.imgur.com/4qo9mR3.jpg

As you can see, Division eats over 90% of the CPU when the screenshot was taken, no other process goes even over 5% of usage.

http://i.imgur.com/mMhvsnm.jpg

This was taken after couple minutes of just running inside the BoO.

Also I wanted to add hwmonitor data in the screenshots aswell, where you see that overheating is not the issue neither.

I dont know what to say, good job devs for making really optimized game where it really uses everything your parts can offer, or is this something not planned and is a problem and should be fixed?

Anyway it really is annoying, doing dailies solo is kinda boring and not being able to watch anything or do anything while playing kinda makes me not want to grind for the perfect gear :/.

Rombibombii
03-28-2016, 12:18 AM
I went searching for it myself since I have GTA V aswell but I did not have this process being active while playing. However I did have some findings.

So I managed to cutt of the 'edge' to stuttering by disabling the UPlay In-Game overlay, somehow I am not surprised since Origin of EA causes similar issues in certain games.
I also noticed that Fullscreen (windowed borderless) is significantly using more CPU power than just Fullscreen.

VSync trick still applies in some way. Once I disable the VSync and let the FPS go all the way to 100+ I will hit 100% CPU load without a second break. Once I turn VSync to Auto or On I get back to 80% usage. Anyway, the disabling overlay only saved like 1% CPU power it did cut the edge just enough for now.

Still needs heavy fixing this..

BudGie667
03-30-2016, 10:18 PM
after more research, i have now found out that this file in fact is a trojan, some kind of bit coin stealing or somethign like that, i did think it was a bit strange that rockstar games, or a file associated with GTAV would be running and taking up the cpu.

Results for checking this file here

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/0ad423a79172f08c2c7fec03d72ea57adc7c3f5c3b07c404d4 2b28a4155d28b2/analysis/

so, i dont think its connected to GTAV, but something to look out for in the future, check your processes, and see if anything is using the cpu like it was with mine, then check the files like i did with the site i used to see if its a legit file :-)

again, i hope my findings help others :-)

Rombibombii
04-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Somehow I'd wish this would be an issue for me now :( But it ain't. Still having The Division taking a huge dump on my CPU

HunterK10
04-03-2016, 02:57 PM
I'd like to also chime in and say that my CPU is pretty much 90-100 percent at all times while playing. It doesnt overheat, but it does run much much hotter than any game I've ever played.

i5 4690K @ 4.3GHz
SLI GTX 970
16GB RAM