PDA

View Full Version : DPS or actual Weapon Damage??

Pepper N Eggs
03-14-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm a fairly knowledgeable player of the division, but i still like to get outside opinions, with that said i have Vector 45 ACP as my main dps gun atm, it currently has 142,239 DPS with 10.4K DMG, i'm not certain if i should drop the mag size and rate of fire in turn dropping the DPS, to increase my actual DMG of the weapon to 11.6K. my firearms is also at 3135....

Im open to all questions, suggestions and comments..

BanBoi
03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
With an SMG, you want lots of crit chance and crit damage. The Vector has a super small mag so definitely keep mag size in there. Rate of fire isn't useful in a Vector because of mag size. Optimal range is another good stat as well. Make sure you are close to your target because of the massive range drop offs the Vector suffers from. A good alternate weapon is the MP5 ST if you can find one with a good roll.

DownBeachDynasty
03-14-2016, 05:37 PM
How would dropping the mag size and ROF increase the weapons actual damage?

agarc045
03-14-2016, 06:48 PM
they dont but give you more chance to land a hit without having to stop to reload , im using a vector with a blue mag i found 4% crit chance and 54% mag size increase so it leave me roughly with a 30 round mag which is pretty good i think

DownBeachDynasty
03-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Right but he mentioned removing those items in order to go from 10.4K to 11.6K

Roy_McDunno
03-14-2016, 08:45 PM
not dropping the mag-size, but dropping the RoF could mean better controlability.
However the SMG I currentl use has absolutely 0 recoil, so the controlability is over 9000 and this is how you feel when shooting it xD
https://picload.org/image/iwwwcai/200.gif

AWW Pitbull
03-15-2016, 12:18 AM
I'm a fairly knowledgeable player of the division, but i still like to get outside opinions, with that said i have Vector 45 ACP as my main dps gun atm, it currently has 142,239 DPS with 10.4K DMG, i'm not certain if i should drop the mag size and rate of fire in turn dropping the DPS, to increase my actual DMG of the weapon to 11.6K. my firearms is also at 3135....

First of all what mods do you have that increase actual weapon damage??? But lets say you do have some then they would be best as increasing the base damage of an SMG would be optimal as it multiplies with crit, its the same principle of stacking firearms. However to my knowledge there is no way of increasing the base damage of a weapon aside from raising your firearms and certain armor attributes.

ZzzombieBunny
03-15-2016, 02:54 AM
First of all what mods do you have that increase actual weapon damage??? But lets say you do have some then they would be best as increasing the base damage of an SMG would be optimal as it multiplies with crit, its the same principle of stacking firearms. However to my knowledge there is no way of increasing the base damage of a weapon aside from raising your firearms and certain armor attributes.

Magazine mods can roll up to around 15% weapon damage. Its probably the single biggest dps boost you can get out of all the mods.

agarc045
03-15-2016, 03:02 PM
well i have a mag alos i use on my scar L its 44% mag increase and 7% weapon dam

GreasyGinzo
03-15-2016, 03:17 PM
go for mag size, chc and chd. I use a vector with 105k listed dps but have 47% chc basically every shot is crit I see orange damage numbers pouring off my targets

Warrenm2008
03-15-2016, 03:28 PM
from what i see the dps over all is how much damage u can deal using everything u have in ur gear however gun damage is what you are hitting for with that gun minus debuffs like armor rating level ect

itbagmidgets13
03-15-2016, 03:58 PM
from what i see the dps over all is how much damage u can deal using everything u have in ur gear however gun damage is what you are hitting for with that gun minus debuffs like armor rating level ect

Problem is that DPS is skewed by the fact that it also calculates the insane possibility that you hit with every bullet for one whole minute, getting perfect reloads, and immediate target acquisition.

Weapon damage is much better at realizing your current damage.

GlossyClub1723
03-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Right but he mentioned removing those items in order to go from 10.4K to 11.6K

i believe, that when you change your gears "critical hit damage" that changes a weapons base damage. i "accidentally" changed my vectors base damage from 8.6K to 9.1K but changing a yellow mask with a higher critical hit damage attribute on it.

OJ191
03-16-2016, 01:58 AM

DPS listing ingame is skewed, stuff like accuracy and stability increases the value even though it doesn't strictly increase DPS, only makes it easier to hit enemies with that dps.

Flat damage will provide the biggest boost
rate of fire, mag size, and reload speed will all provide a boost in dps but not as high as flat damage

If you trade-off stats then the calculations are a bit more complicated. For example: If you double rate of fire but halve damage, you may think that you have kept the same dps. But actually you lose DPS. Yes your dps in any given second while SHOOTING is the same, but you have more periods of downtime reloading so your overall average dps is lower.

Example: 1000 dps, your mag only lasts for 1 second, your reload time is 1 second. This means you do 1000 dps over every 2 seconds, so 1000/2 = 500 sustained dps. If you halve damage but double rate of fire, it becomes 500/1.5 (mag lasts for 0.5, 1.0 reload) = 333 sustained dps!

DO bear in mind that results will vary if the stat trade-off isn't a direct 1%-1%. For example if you only cut the damage to 75%, rather than 50%, you would get equal sustained dps of 500, and higher in-the-moment dps of 1500.

Then you get into crit chance and damage. You may think flat damage will always be better, but it's best to calculate because it's actually pretty simple. Lets say your weapon does 1000 damage per bullet, firing 10 per second. That's 10000 dps. If you increase that to 1050 damage per bullet, it's 10500 dps. Or you could add 5% crit chance. 5% crit chance doesn't seem like that much, but over the long run it will do exactly that - 5% of the time you will deal 100% bonus damage, which can be equivocated to a 5% damage boost, and 10000 dps * 1.05 is... 10500 exactly the same as that 500 damage boosts.

The reason why you need to check it, is that of course the crit% chance may be worth more or less than the flat damage, rather than being equivalent as in my example.

Crit damage makes it a little more complicated, but not by much. So default crit damage is +100% damage. We multiply that by the crit chance as a decimal (in the case of the example, 5% crit chance = 0.05), to get the average damage boost as a % (100*0.05 = 5%). All crit damage means is that the first number won't be 100%. Say you have +25% crit damage. That means it's actually 125*0.05 = a 6.25% avg damage boost.

Since the in-game DPS representation is skewed by stats which don't truly affect damage/dps, the best way is to calculate it yourself.

A relatively simple way to work this out is below:

terminology:
average damage from crits = avgCritD
Crit chance = Crit (represented as a decimal, 100% = 1.0; 50% = 0.5; 0% = 0.0
Crit damage = CritD (represented as a % ie if you have +50% crit damage, critD = 150)
Damage = dmg
rounds per minute = rpm
rounds per second = rps
magazine size = mag
magazine lifetime = mlt (the time to fire off one magazine in seconds)
reload time = rld
headshot multiplier (if applicable) = hs
* = multiply
/ = divide

avgCritD = CritD * Crit
rps = rpm / 60
mlt = mag/rps

dps = (dmg*hs*avgCritD*mag) / (mlt+rld)

This is assuming that, as I believe to be correct, flat bonuses such as +X weapon damage on gear are added to the listed bullet damage. If not you will have to add those manually :/

Oh and don't forget about weapon specific stuff, like apparently SMGs have a better crit chance than other weapons and I have no idea if this is even listed let alone if it is added to your character crit stats.

HungoverAndroid
03-16-2016, 10:15 PM
I don't know about all these formulas but I do appreciate the thought that goes into it however as someone stated its calculated that all the chance critical and what not hit 100% of the time. I usually go with raw damage power versus all the DPS calculations for example I think the FAL not sure, had super low rate of fire but higher DMG which was totally useless to me if I can't down an enemy quickly.