PDA

View Full Version : The choices of memory are mid-boggling please help me out?



Dutch60
04-23-2004, 10:37 AM
For my new system that I want to buy when the AMD FX-55 comes out (I hope this year and that it is enough to run BoB) and the decision of choosing between the new GeForce 6800 and the ATi X800-XT both in PCI express versions becomes clear, I am now starting to look for the right memory and although I have a good job in the ICT industry and I thought I know a little about hardware (because I have always build my own systems) the memory choices have really become mind-boggling to me.
I have narrowed my choice down to three vendors namely Corsair, OCZ and Kingston maybe there are better vendors but selecting the right memory from one vendor is already complex so comparing the memory of three vendors is more than enough for now.
So if there is somebody out there that really knows and can help me with this problem please do not hesitate to do so and do it in the English language please so everybody can join in.
I do not mean to brag but money is not a problem so please advise me in the best memory that money can buy.
My preference for now is Corsair Twinx and the minimum amount of memory I want is 2GB and if possible in CAS 2 mode.
Two more question I have is that all the AMD FX motherboards I have seen can hold up to three memory modules is the a board that can hold four and if I put three modules of 1GB on a board for a total of 3GB will it still be able to run in Dual-Channel mode?

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever

Dutch60
04-23-2004, 10:37 AM
For my new system that I want to buy when the AMD FX-55 comes out (I hope this year and that it is enough to run BoB) and the decision of choosing between the new GeForce 6800 and the ATi X800-XT both in PCI express versions becomes clear, I am now starting to look for the right memory and although I have a good job in the ICT industry and I thought I know a little about hardware (because I have always build my own systems) the memory choices have really become mind-boggling to me.
I have narrowed my choice down to three vendors namely Corsair, OCZ and Kingston maybe there are better vendors but selecting the right memory from one vendor is already complex so comparing the memory of three vendors is more than enough for now.
So if there is somebody out there that really knows and can help me with this problem please do not hesitate to do so and do it in the English language please so everybody can join in.
I do not mean to brag but money is not a problem so please advise me in the best memory that money can buy.
My preference for now is Corsair Twinx and the minimum amount of memory I want is 2GB and if possible in CAS 2 mode.
Two more question I have is that all the AMD FX motherboards I have seen can hold up to three memory modules is the a board that can hold four and if I put three modules of 1GB on a board for a total of 3GB will it still be able to run in Dual-Channel mode?

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever

Dutch60
04-23-2004, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dutch60:
For my new system that I want to buy when the AMD FX-55 comes out (I hope this year and that it is enough to run BoB) and the decision of choosing between the new GeForce 6800 and the ATi X800-XT both in PCI express versions becomes clear, I am now starting to look for the right memory and although I have a good job in the ICT industry and I thought I know a little about hardware (because I have always build my own systems) the memory choices have really become mind-boggling to me.
I have narrowed my choice down to three vendors namely Corsair, OCZ and Kingston maybe there are better vendors but selecting the right memory from one vendor is already complex so comparing the memory of three vendors is more than enough for now.
So if there is somebody out there that really knows and can help me with this problem please do not hesitate to do so and do it in the English language please so everybody can join in.
I do not mean to brag but money is not a problem so please advise me in the best memory that money can buy.
My preference for now is Corsair Twinx and the minimum amount of memory I want is 2GB and if possible in CAS 2 mode.
Two more question I have is that all the AMD FX motherboards I have seen can hold up to three memory modules is there a board that can hold four and if I put three modules of 1GB on a board for a total of 3GB will it still be able to run in Dual-Channel mode?

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever

crazyivan1970
04-23-2004, 10:40 AM
This is what i would get: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85019-17

Specs speak for themselfs http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

Dutch60
04-23-2004, 10:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
This is what i would get: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85019-17

Specs speak for themselfs http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That makes only 1GB possible on a motherboard with 3 module place holders that is 1.5 GB and really only 1GB and if possible I want 2GB minimum so than I would buy 2 sets of these but on most boards I can only fit 3 modules?
Is there a board that can hold 4 memory modules?

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever

LeChuck59
04-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I do not mean to slight the fine folks of this board, but I would advise that you also post on a tech site if you haven't already. I myself frequent the boards over at HardOCP.

http://www.hardforum.com/

I trust the people there and they are unquestionably knowledgable (they helped me put together a parts list for a new computer) and the general opinion there is that OCZ is not worth the risk. While they make and advertise high quality RAM, what you actually get may or may not be what you order. They are notorious for hand picking the RAM that is sent to reviewers, and mislabelling that which is sold on the market. Furthermore, they seem to close up shop every five years or so, long enough to void the lifetime warranty on their products and then they reopen. So while they are under new management and claim to be trying to make ammends, why risk it when you could go with Corsair, Kingston, or Mushkin and not have to worry about it at all?

And are you sure you want to go with Athlon FX, Socket 940? It won't be around much longer and as far as value goes (I know you said money is no object, but every appreciates value right?) it's not worth it. AMD will be replacing the Socket 940 boards this summer/fall with Socket 939 which will not only be faster than FX, it'll have greater support and afford you more upgrade options in the future. There's also PCI Express to consider.

I'm very much a computer noob. Everything I've learned, I've learned from the HardOCP guys. I highly recommend that you go there for advice. Even if you don't have any immediate questions, just post your proposed system and see what they think. I promise you they'll give you helpful advice.

Dutch60
04-23-2004, 11:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LeChuck59:
I do not mean to slight the fine folks of this board, but I would advise that you also post on a tech site if you haven't already. I myself frequent the boards over at HardOCP.

http://www.hardforum.com/

I trust the people there and they are unquestionably knowledgable (they helped me put together a parts list for a new computer) and the general opinion there is that OCZ is not worth the risk. While they make and advertise high quality RAM, what you actually get may or may not be what you order. They are notorious for hand picking the RAM that is sent to reviewers, and mislabelling that which is sold on the market. Furthermore, they seem to close up shop every five years or so, long enough to void the lifetime warranty on their products and then they reopen. So while they are under new management and claim to be trying to make ammends, why risk it when you could go with Corsair, Kingston, or Mushkin and not have to worry about it at all?

And are you sure you want to go with Athlon FX, Socket 940? It won't be around much longer and as far as value goes (I know you said money is no object, but every appreciates value right?) it's not worth it. AMD will be replacing the Socket 940 boards this summer/fall with Socket 939 which will not only be faster than FX, it'll have greater support and afford you more upgrade options in the future. There's also PCI Express to consider.

I'm very much a computer noob. Everything I've learned, I've learned from the HardOCP guys. I highly recommend that you go there for advice. Even if you don't have any immediate questions, just post your proposed system and see what they think. I promise you they'll give you helpful advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to be clear on this I did say that I will wait for the FX-55 so that will be Socket 939 and I also will wait for the PCI express version of the GeForce 6800 or the ATi X800-XT.

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Waiting suXorz...

I want mine now...NOW...NOWWW!!!

Also, I have one word...Corsair http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif



http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

crazyivan1970
04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
1GB is more then enough for next couple of years IMO. 2gb is overkill IMO.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

Dutch60
04-23-2004, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thunderbolt56:
Waiting suXorz...

I want mine now...NOW...NOWWW!!!



http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Totally agree with you, but I can only do a full new system upgrade every three years, it's my wife you see she just won't let me do it every year. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-mad.gif
LOL
Currently AMD 1900+ GeForce 3 Ti500 and 1GB PC2100
So I think my next system will be a blast? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever

Dutch60
04-23-2004, 11:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
1GB is more then enough for next couple of years IMO. 2gb is overkill IMO.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What about the large Maps and the very high amount of detail we will have in BoB, do you really think 1GB of memory is really enough?
What I did notice about the memory modules is that 2x512MB pair is faster then a 2x1GB pair is that right and if so why is this?

http://home.planet.nl/~elzer033/images/dutch-p51.jpg
Fight Sims Forever