PDA

View Full Version : A couple of cents I collected over the last weeks

JtD
04-26-2004, 01:00 PM
This post is quite long, taking some time to read, but I think it's worth it. My post contains mainly suggestions for further improvements of FB. Most of the points have been brought up in different topics all over the boards, some are just my idea.

User Interface:

I think it is absolutely neccessary to rework the menues.

- I don't really care about the look, but I think it's not the optimum to have small knobs with words next to them instead of using big buttons with text on them.

- I don't apprecheate editing config's. Instead, I'd like to costumize my career from inside IL-2. It's shouldn't be to hard to integrate a costumize career screen in career mode, allowing to change target distance, opposition etc. while playing.

- Also, the "lever up" and "lever down" switches should be replaced with more easily understandable on-off illustrations.

- In the menue there it's still very often "German" and "Soviet" while by now it would be more correct to name it "Axis" and "Allies".

- The amount of planes is overwhelming and certainly to much for a flight sim newbie. You might want to sort them by country in all Mission Editors thus limiting the choice of planes.

- A very short evaluation of each plane in the planes lists could help. This could be a 10 points or five star system, either giving each plane one point total or using sub categories like speed, firepower, turning. Having these number pop up whenever the cursor hits the planes name would make choices far more easy for anyone new to WW2 planes. I think this would make a total rework of the menues neccessary, but you might do this in future simulations.

Campaigns:

- It should be possible to give orders to the flight after the flight leader got shot down and the remains of the flights are following the player. It's very annoying to fly ground attacks with the rest of the flight staying in formation or even ramming the player while trying to. It's also annoying of having the entire flight chase one fighter while 10 bombers limp away and there is nothing one can do to change that.

- Once I bailed over the baltic sea in April and still I returned to duty next day. Should have drwoned instead. Apart from the fact your pilot sometimes escapes from enemy forces, you could implement more random factors:
a) terrain: water isn't good if you have to swim 20 km
b) civil resitance: Just because you bail on your side of the front, it doesn't mean there is noone who want's to kill you, i.e. partizans.
c) Generally it would be cool to see it takes more than a day to eturn to your unit if you bail at a very distant point.

- In campaigns if you destroy a couple of ground objects in one mission, they'll be away for a certain amount of time and will be back all at once. It would be much more realistic to see them come back one after the other. i.e. after taking out the entire AAA of one airfield it would be more realistic to see one or two mounts on the next day, beeing reinforced as the time goes on insted of seeing none for a couple of missions and than have all twelve or so back into place within one day.

- At the Leningrad 42 map landing planes will collide with a static Li-2 placed at Manushkino airfield.

- Currently the ranks shown in the briefing are incorrect. The do correspond to the ones in the roster, but use the wrong army. I think it is always Russian or German instead of using the abbr. for the Slovak, Polish, Romanien ranks in the corresponding campaigns.

- Sometimes the destroyed ground objects are not counted correctly in the debriefing and the career logbook shows an empty mission. The wrongly counted ground objects will totally disappear from all statistics. i.e. before you start a mission you destroyd 52 ground objects, and in the mission you destroy two tanks and eight train cars. The debriefing says you destroyed two guns and eight vehicles and, after applying the reuslt your pilot record still reads 52 ground objects.

- In campaing mode there should be the possiblity to activly change home airfield. "request transfer" or something. If often found myself and my unit far away from the action making short and easy missions very boring, because of the long time needed to reach the action.

- There has been a frequent request for a "dead is dead" modus for careers, I'd like to warm it up. My personal favorite would be this mode combined with a sort of highscore. If you hit apply after a mission in which you got killed or captured your campaign is finished but the results are saved in a highscore list.

Gameplay:

- I'd very much apprechiate if you'd include some more variants of certain types. This should be very little work but would add even more diversity. i.e., there were many armarment variants for the LaGG-3 S4 which could be included as loadouts or the BF 109 F-2 was also built with a 20mm nose cannon. Same thing.

- Externals should also be affected be blackouts, redout, wounds an the like. If you feel this would spoil the game, you can add this as one more point in the realism setup. "External blackouts/redouts - on/off"

- The same goes for pitlock. Even with pitlock turned off you can still ID planes with F6 easyly. The should also be possible to adjust in realism setting.

- The muzzle flashes should really be reworked. If it's not possible to change in FB, please do it different in PF or BoB. It's not realistic and really spoils the game in certain planes. I personally consider "cockpit off" more realistic than these muzzle flashes by now. Sad thing.

- The damage model for ground objects is strange as well. For the future you might make more than a one stage DM, as a strafed plane will show linear damge, not binary. What you might change in FB is the DM for train cars, I can blow them up with a couple of hits from small caliber MG. This is totally wrong, a train car's carriage is way more massive than any single engined plane. Also, it does not need to remain in flyable condition after beeing hit.

- There should be more than 16x time compression. It's would be cool to see it work similar to 1942, Pacific Air War. Engage autopilot, engage time compression, have both switched off automatically when you reach target area or there are enemies nearby. (like 10km radius or so). This should make flights over 100+km shorter while not taking away to much suspense.

- I recently found out, that the wheel brakes cannot steer my IL-2 on the ground if my rudder controls had been taken out. I don't think this is realistic.

- One more request I'd like to support is the rewind feature for tracks. I'd also like to be able to cut scences. This could be done by allowing to record some bits of replays (like making an ntrk of a trk file).

- The UBS round still retains to much energy in comparism with any other round.

- Some planes still fire none-snychronized guns trough the prop while other still fire synchronized gun from wing mounts. For more detail about guns, look up my 1.22 gun tests: http://mitglied.lycos.de/jaytdee/fbg/weapons.html
This has been posted here a couple of times, but I don't think anyone at 1C took note.

JtD
04-26-2004, 01:00 PM
This post is quite long, taking some time to read, but I think it's worth it. My post contains mainly suggestions for further improvements of FB. Most of the points have been brought up in different topics all over the boards, some are just my idea.

User Interface:

I think it is absolutely neccessary to rework the menues.

- I don't really care about the look, but I think it's not the optimum to have small knobs with words next to them instead of using big buttons with text on them.

- I don't apprecheate editing config's. Instead, I'd like to costumize my career from inside IL-2. It's shouldn't be to hard to integrate a costumize career screen in career mode, allowing to change target distance, opposition etc. while playing.

- Also, the "lever up" and "lever down" switches should be replaced with more easily understandable on-off illustrations.

- In the menue there it's still very often "German" and "Soviet" while by now it would be more correct to name it "Axis" and "Allies".

- The amount of planes is overwhelming and certainly to much for a flight sim newbie. You might want to sort them by country in all Mission Editors thus limiting the choice of planes.

- A very short evaluation of each plane in the planes lists could help. This could be a 10 points or five star system, either giving each plane one point total or using sub categories like speed, firepower, turning. Having these number pop up whenever the cursor hits the planes name would make choices far more easy for anyone new to WW2 planes. I think this would make a total rework of the menues neccessary, but you might do this in future simulations.

Campaigns:

- It should be possible to give orders to the flight after the flight leader got shot down and the remains of the flights are following the player. It's very annoying to fly ground attacks with the rest of the flight staying in formation or even ramming the player while trying to. It's also annoying of having the entire flight chase one fighter while 10 bombers limp away and there is nothing one can do to change that.

- Once I bailed over the baltic sea in April and still I returned to duty next day. Should have drwoned instead. Apart from the fact your pilot sometimes escapes from enemy forces, you could implement more random factors:
a) terrain: water isn't good if you have to swim 20 km
b) civil resitance: Just because you bail on your side of the front, it doesn't mean there is noone who want's to kill you, i.e. partizans.
c) Generally it would be cool to see it takes more than a day to eturn to your unit if you bail at a very distant point.

- In campaigns if you destroy a couple of ground objects in one mission, they'll be away for a certain amount of time and will be back all at once. It would be much more realistic to see them come back one after the other. i.e. after taking out the entire AAA of one airfield it would be more realistic to see one or two mounts on the next day, beeing reinforced as the time goes on insted of seeing none for a couple of missions and than have all twelve or so back into place within one day.

- At the Leningrad 42 map landing planes will collide with a static Li-2 placed at Manushkino airfield.

- Currently the ranks shown in the briefing are incorrect. The do correspond to the ones in the roster, but use the wrong army. I think it is always Russian or German instead of using the abbr. for the Slovak, Polish, Romanien ranks in the corresponding campaigns.

- Sometimes the destroyed ground objects are not counted correctly in the debriefing and the career logbook shows an empty mission. The wrongly counted ground objects will totally disappear from all statistics. i.e. before you start a mission you destroyd 52 ground objects, and in the mission you destroy two tanks and eight train cars. The debriefing says you destroyed two guns and eight vehicles and, after applying the reuslt your pilot record still reads 52 ground objects.

- In campaing mode there should be the possiblity to activly change home airfield. "request transfer" or something. If often found myself and my unit far away from the action making short and easy missions very boring, because of the long time needed to reach the action.

- There has been a frequent request for a "dead is dead" modus for careers, I'd like to warm it up. My personal favorite would be this mode combined with a sort of highscore. If you hit apply after a mission in which you got killed or captured your campaign is finished but the results are saved in a highscore list.

Gameplay:

- I'd very much apprechiate if you'd include some more variants of certain types. This should be very little work but would add even more diversity. i.e., there were many armarment variants for the LaGG-3 S4 which could be included as loadouts or the BF 109 F-2 was also built with a 20mm nose cannon. Same thing.

- Externals should also be affected be blackouts, redout, wounds an the like. If you feel this would spoil the game, you can add this as one more point in the realism setup. "External blackouts/redouts - on/off"

- The same goes for pitlock. Even with pitlock turned off you can still ID planes with F6 easyly. The should also be possible to adjust in realism setting.

- The muzzle flashes should really be reworked. If it's not possible to change in FB, please do it different in PF or BoB. It's not realistic and really spoils the game in certain planes. I personally consider "cockpit off" more realistic than these muzzle flashes by now. Sad thing.

- The damage model for ground objects is strange as well. For the future you might make more than a one stage DM, as a strafed plane will show linear damge, not binary. What you might change in FB is the DM for train cars, I can blow them up with a couple of hits from small caliber MG. This is totally wrong, a train car's carriage is way more massive than any single engined plane. Also, it does not need to remain in flyable condition after beeing hit.

- There should be more than 16x time compression. It's would be cool to see it work similar to 1942, Pacific Air War. Engage autopilot, engage time compression, have both switched off automatically when you reach target area or there are enemies nearby. (like 10km radius or so). This should make flights over 100+km shorter while not taking away to much suspense.

- I recently found out, that the wheel brakes cannot steer my IL-2 on the ground if my rudder controls had been taken out. I don't think this is realistic.

- One more request I'd like to support is the rewind feature for tracks. I'd also like to be able to cut scences. This could be done by allowing to record some bits of replays (like making an ntrk of a trk file).

- The UBS round still retains to much energy in comparism with any other round.

- Some planes still fire none-snychronized guns trough the prop while other still fire synchronized gun from wing mounts. For more detail about guns, look up my 1.22 gun tests: http://mitglied.lycos.de/jaytdee/fbg/weapons.html
This has been posted here a couple of times, but I don't think anyone at 1C took note.

Luftcaca
04-26-2004, 01:52 PM
you bring up some very good points there, especially regarding the campaign.

bump

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/luftcaca.jpg

Formerly ''known'' as Gunther Aeroburst

VW-IceFire
04-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Which aircraft are firing unsynced guns through a prop? I don't see anything obvious...except I think the Yak-1 you have listed as firing unsycned ShKAS.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

JtD
04-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I-153
I-153P
I-16
Yak-1
MiG-3
MiG-3ud
MiG-3 AM38

XyZspineZyX
04-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Refuel and rearm option ?

hint, hint

Zen--
04-26-2004, 10:21 PM
very nicely put!

-Zen-

clint-ruin
04-26-2004, 11:19 PM
All good ideas.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/gwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

MatuDa
04-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Yep, those would be helpful. Only one I didn't like was the star-system to describe what plane does what and how well..

And I'd like to see advanced blackouts too. In the game that is http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

JtD
04-28-2004, 08:44 AM
What is it you don't like about the star system?
I think it's absolutely neccessary to help newbies, otherwise they pick the wrong plane, get shot down a couple of times and throw the game away since it's to hard.

Do you have a better idea?

Nub_322Sqn
04-28-2004, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vagueout:
Refuel and rearm option ?

hint, hint<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know that this is not done in 10-15 minutes do you?

It's more like 1 hour or even more before your plane is re-fueled and re-armed.

I am sure nobody here want's to wait that long and rather hit the quit and refly button instead.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rcma/banners/Nubarusbanner.jpg

SeaFireLIV
04-28-2004, 10:02 AM
There are a lot of good ideas and points there. Some already mentioned by others (including myself), but good.

I like the Campaign suggestions too, but don`t believe the faster speed thing is possible. The PC has a lot to cope with FB, when it`s all speeded up, that`s an even greater workload. Sometimes, I find on 16x if I have a lot of aircraft and ground stuff (like flak), the PC will actually freeze. When I reduce speed to normal, then it rums again. I can only imagine the stress this would cause any CPU if trying to run on X32.

I don`t find the menu a big problem. At the start it was strange, but I feel this was more of a `Russian` thing than anything else...

Your comments on UBS rounds I have no opinion on. I`m no armament expert and they do the job for me.

But most of your points are good imho.

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/Dark.jpg

Luftcaca
04-28-2004, 10:47 AM
"I like the Campaign suggestions too, but don`t believe the faster speed thing is possible. The PC has a lot to cope with FB, when it`s all speeded up, that`s an even greater workload. Sometimes, I find on 16x if I have a lot of aircraft and ground stuff (like flak), the PC will actually freeze. When I reduce speed to normal, then it rums again. I can only imagine the stress this would cause any CPU if trying to run on X32."

yes thats very true
thats too bad tho cuz some missions in my Finnish campaign (especially in 44) were taking forever b4 I reached the final waypoint.
you know its going to take long when the default loadout on your Gustav is a droptank...

http://www.ifrance.com/boussourir/luftcaca.jpg

Formerly ''known'' as Gunther Aeroburst

JtD
04-28-2004, 11:18 AM
IIRC: In 1942 Pacific Air War you could accelerate to 16x when in game, but when you choose the full screen map you could go to 32. This saves all 3D calculations.

I think that you'd have to do a similar thing in FB, like reducing graphics and flight models etc. for high acceleration. Since everything goes back to normal as soon as the player get's involved, it should be fine.

E_Temperament
04-28-2004, 12:48 PM
I would like to see refueling and rearming implimented as well. And of course I would like to see it take as long as it would in RL, if it takes an hour so be it. I like to refly the same plane I was flying originally so that I can continue flying from the airport I landed at last. I like flying for a few hours straight then having to land and refuel/rearm then continue with my joyflight. But I suppose this is just not worth the effort to impliment as very few of us actually want this feature.

ImpStarDuece
04-29-2004, 05:09 AM
bump!!!

Almost without exception these are well thought out points on issues that can enhance the experiance of playing FB.

Well said JtD!

"There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"

p1ngu666
04-29-2004, 06:55 AM
gonna read a book while they rearm? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
good points http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
also on qmb the scroll bars, if u move off left or right, to say select a 109 and u abit off it snaps back to top http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/52.gif
thats a pain

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg
&lt;123_GWood_JG123&gt; NO SPAM!