PDA

View Full Version : How much DPS do you really need for PvE?

zybn
03-10-2016, 03:50 PM
I am running around with 190.5k dps and only 36k health in the Dark Zone and I am not completely sure if I should get rid of some of my DPS for a bit more surviveability. So what would you guys suggest?

sandpants
03-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Firearms is mostly only good for high alpha damage weapons like shotguns and sniper rifles to bump the per hit damage up so that you can surgically eliminate some 1-2 bad guys from a safer position/situation.
SMGs benefit from it too, but only if you are accurate enough to capitalise on both headshots and crits. The gap is easily closed by shotguns and tbh, SMGs are the higher risk option of the two simply because even the sustained DPS is higher, the actual TTK might be faster with a shotgun.

So IMO, if you run primarily with ARs and LMGs it's a good idea to have a more even spread or cater towards Stamina.

You can also try to stack damage reduction as it increases your effective health. Skills like Smart Cover (#nevernotsmartover) and Support Station will add some health regen, damage resistance and damage boost.

zybn
03-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response. What Shotgun would you suggest for a firearms focused build?

Diedel443
03-10-2016, 08:47 PM
I am running around with 190.5k dps and only 36k health in the Dark Zone and I am not completely sure if I should get rid of some of my DPS for a bit more surviveability. So what would you guys suggest?

Is that DZ gear ? Those stats are insane i i would probably grind for month in PvE to get there.

HoboOfSerenity
03-11-2016, 02:32 AM
Since DPS stuff is completely misleading, I'd say go by per shot damage instead. 190.5k dps sounds like you've got a lot of artificial dps from stuff like higher rate of fire or somesuch, which CAN give you more actual damage, but usually leads to even more bullets missing their targets. High DPS is contingent on all bullets actually landing on target. For instance my assault rifle shows almost 30k dps more than my bolt action rifle, but clip for clip, the bolt rifle surpasses the assault rifle by far because I tend to hit 6/7 shots on target with half being headshots at long range, compared to maybe 30-35/50 bullets on the assault rifle at medium range.

I'd say if you have 10k damage per shot on automatic weapons with high clips of 50+, and 60k damage per shot on bolt rifles (or 40k on DMR's), 60-70k damage per shot on shotguns with low clip cap and at LEAST 8k por shot on your pistol (You should be able to craft a yellow pistol by the time you're 30 anyway, and it's a great fallback tool with good damage per shot and high clip cap)

Going beyond that can help, sure, but you'll most likely take a significant hit on survivability. IF you're running around with only 36k health and low armor to boot (less than 30% reduction), most players are going to be able to one or two shot you, same going for the level 32 shotgunners/snipers. If you're running around with HP below 50k, you're GOING to need both heal talents that boost damage resistance AND overheals when you medkit, as well as have at least 1 healing ability (I'd recommend both the heal sig and the healpack with auto revive on it, since you're GOING to get downed very fast. This gives you a safetynet)

Since your DPS is as high as it is, I'd recommend moving one or two items from firearms to stamina instead unless you really favor your glass cannon approach. Just be aware it's most likely going to make you quite useless in some of the challenging dailies, since so many enemies will be able to one or two shot you. Unless you got a team to support you, spreading out your stats between both firearms and stamina to land at 60k+ hp and 40% damage reduction at the least is going to give you a much bigger safetynet for when enemies or players get up close on you, which is going to happen more often than you'd think, ESPECIALLY if you're solo in level 32 DZ areas.

If you're set on going with that glass cannon build though, I'd say always run around with the scan, because your crits are going to be beastly, and try to get the 2 medic talents I mentioned + the auto revive medpack. (Your team will thank you for that last one because it basically makes you invulnerable for a few secs when you get downed since it revives you UNLESS someone destroys the pack first.)

Personally I prefer running with the auto revive medpack, heal signature (Has turned around SOO many PvP situations as well as saved wipes during challenging dailies, where half your team is downed, and suddenly now you're all overhealed and up!) I also tend to mix between running the damage boosting scan or the smoke ball, since it's great for crowd control against pve groups. Disabling several enemies for 5-6 seconds each tends to be far more useful than doing 100-200k damage with a damaging ability anyway, and it's great for getting out of shaky situations.

Try to do the challenging dailies, since it contains the hardest enemies you're going to encounter for now.
It should point out areas where you need to work, and allow for you to improve both your build AND your playstyle. Try and discover on your own what best suits your own playstyle instead of asking people "what's best" What I wrote above is just my own opinion from my own experiences with my own playstyle. Maybe some of my pointers will work for you, maybe none will. In the end, it's all about what best suits YOUR OWN playstyle. I'm not sure any 1 build is going to be "the best" because of how many different scenarios you can encounter, but you can get what suits YOU best.

good luck out there!

Meister.G
03-11-2016, 08:00 AM
75k Hitpoints
55% damage mitigation from armor
15% elite dmg reduction

Is minimum to be useful and what you should strive for. High damage is useless because you do 0 dmg when you're dead. I would also one hit you with my SMG that has 90% crit chance and hits NPCS for 44k headshot crits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HO3N1UB6ao

Diedel443
03-11-2016, 08:34 AM
75k Hitpoints
15% elite dmg reduction

Is minimum to be useful and what you should strive for. High damage is useless because you do 0 dmg when you're dead. I would also one hit you with my SMG that has 90% crit chance and hits NPCS for 44k headshot crits.

And again the question: Is that DZ gear, because i have never seen a high-end drop in PvE at all and it looks like you can craft only one side arm and get lucky at the dealer.

zybn
03-11-2016, 01:01 PM
Since DPS stuff is completely misleading, I'd say go by per shot damage instead. 190.5k dps sounds like you've got a lot of artificial dps from stuff like higher rate of fire or somesuch, which CAN give you more actual damage, but usually leads to even more bullets missing their targets. High DPS is contingent on all bullets actually landing on target. For instance my assault rifle shows almost 30k dps more than my bolt action rifle, but clip for clip, the bolt rifle surpasses the assault rifle by far because I tend to hit 6/7 shots on target with half being headshots at long range, compared to maybe 30-35/50 bullets on the assault rifle at medium range.

I'd say if you have 10k damage per shot on automatic weapons with high clips of 50+, and 60k damage per shot on bolt rifles (or 40k on DMR's), 60-70k damage per shot on shotguns with low clip cap and at LEAST 8k por shot on your pistol (You should be able to craft a yellow pistol by the time you're 30 anyway, and it's a great fallback tool with good damage per shot and high clip cap)

Going beyond that can help, sure, but you'll most likely take a significant hit on survivability. IF you're running around with only 36k health and low armor to boot (less than 30% reduction), most players are going to be able to one or two shot you, same going for the level 32 shotgunners/snipers. If you're running around with HP below 50k, you're GOING to need both heal talents that boost damage resistance AND overheals when you medkit, as well as have at least 1 healing ability (I'd recommend both the heal sig and the healpack with auto revive on it, since you're GOING to get downed very fast. This gives you a safetynet)

Since your DPS is as high as it is, I'd recommend moving one or two items from firearms to stamina instead unless you really favor your glass cannon approach. Just be aware it's most likely going to make you quite useless in some of the challenging dailies, since so many enemies will be able to one or two shot you. Unless you got a team to support you, spreading out your stats between both firearms and stamina to land at 60k+ hp and 40% damage reduction at the least is going to give you a much bigger safetynet for when enemies or players get up close on you, which is going to happen more often than you'd think, ESPECIALLY if you're solo in level 32 DZ areas.

If you're set on going with that glass cannon build though, I'd say always run around with the scan, because your crits are going to be beastly, and try to get the 2 medic talents I mentioned + the auto revive medpack. (Your team will thank you for that last one because it basically makes you invulnerable for a few secs when you get downed since it revives you UNLESS someone destroys the pack first.)

Personally I prefer running with the auto revive medpack, heal signature (Has turned around SOO many PvP situations as well as saved wipes during challenging dailies, where half your team is downed, and suddenly now you're all overhealed and up!) I also tend to mix between running the damage boosting scan or the smoke ball, since it's great for crowd control against pve groups. Disabling several enemies for 5-6 seconds each tends to be far more useful than doing 100-200k damage with a damaging ability anyway, and it's great for getting out of shaky situations.

Try to do the challenging dailies, since it contains the hardest enemies you're going to encounter for now.
It should point out areas where you need to work, and allow for you to improve both your build AND your playstyle. Try and discover on your own what best suits your own playstyle instead of asking people "what's best" What I wrote above is just my own opinion from my own experiences with my own playstyle. Maybe some of my pointers will work for you, maybe none will. In the end, it's all about what best suits YOUR OWN playstyle. I'm not sure any 1 build is going to be "the best" because of how many different scenarios you can encounter, but you can get what suits YOU best.

good luck out there!

Thanks for the great post. I agree with many points you have touched on especially with the talents, which I will be using from now on. I might not have a lot of hp(35k) but a lot of armor so I dont actually die instantly. I would like to know how armor scales in this game so I know how much % of the damage is blocked. I am also gonna continue going for glasscanon style, I just reached 250k dps and am killing almost anything instantly(including players with the expection of them using the Survivor Link ability to block the damage). The only problem with this playstyle is that I need to play with a group of 3 people at least to reach maximum effectivity. The DPS I have IS influenced by a lot of attackspeed(1050RPM) but also has around 10k bullet damage but with the stability mods I was able to put in I can actually hit almost every bullet, the only times I am actually using a sniper rifle is when I dont have any ammo left on my assault rifle or if it is a long range fight.

Also another question for everyone, what sniper rifle is actually doing the most damage? I am using a High-End first wave m1a at the moment.

zybn
03-11-2016, 01:04 PM
And again the question: Is that DZ gear, because i have never seen a high-end drop in PvE at all and it looks like you can craft only one side arm and get lucky at the dealer.

I got most of my gear from crafting and doing dailies!

Drekor
03-11-2016, 01:09 PM
75k Hitpoints
15% elite dmg reduction

That's far beyond "minimum"... that would be closer to "ideal".