PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Input lag - The issues from the beta persist

JhnFeynman
03-08-2016, 03:53 PM
As the community noticed during the betas, the PS4 build of The Division suffered from quite severe input lag.
As it turns out, the final version is much the same, and if there has been any improvement it has been marginal.

Please address this issue in the coming patches.

Exhibit A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lajA7FB5s6c)
Exhibit B (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYHub24Rz4)
Exhibit C (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeEdq8LbZE)
Exhibit D (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI6IkZVqI5g)

Disclaimers:
No, this is not related to TV settings. We're talking about the game-induced lag, not the display lag. Division has more lag than other games running the same setup.
No, the fact that you haven't personally noticed it doesn't mean it's not happening. Watch the videos. Some people are more sensitive to this than you are.
Yes, the test case running on different screens is not as valid as the others, but it's just another drop in the bucket.
Also, this post is about input lag, not network lag. Don't confuse the two or suggest we fix this by doing network troubleshooting.

Thanks for reading.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-09-2016, 06:08 AM
Come on, Ubis.

This is really an issue. For many people. Me included.

And worse, since I know about it, it will drive me crazy while playing. Like an itch I can't scratch.

It was in the closed Beta, the open Beta, now in the full version... I am a bit disappointed.

Well. Here's to a quick patch...

mattias800
03-09-2016, 12:48 PM
I bought the game yesterday (didn't play the beta) and, while I wouldn't call the game unplayable, the input latency is driving me crazy.

Killzone 2 had the exact same problem years back, with an input latency of 280 ms. I couldn't play the game until they patched it a long time after the games release.
The input latency was still at around 100 ms, but that is playable.

I think The Division is about 200 ms (I haven't measured it), and even just browsing the menus is a horrible experience. This really needs to be fixed.

This is a game issue, not a setup issue, all other games work fine. SW:BF is flawless, then I boot up The Division and cringe.

RecklessOnion_
03-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Yes, it's still awful. Its really disappointing.

csascha
03-10-2016, 04:33 PM
same here, my test video is the Exhibit D.
It's still in the game and it really annoys me.

Please insert this into "Known Errors"

P4NCH0theD0G
03-10-2016, 09:07 PM
There`s been a bit of an "argument" going on online regarding this issue, so now that the game is out, and I had the chance to ask around, it SEEMS that NOT everyone is experiencing this issue. No, really. It seems to be only a small number of people (comparably small) that are affected. It also seems that those that were affected in the Beta are still affected.

I know, I know. I've read all the "arguments" like "people don't notice" or "people don't care" (and the less polite versions of those), but I have asked several of my friends, people that are very, very, VERY fastidious about stuff like that, competitive gamers (and streamers) that switch between the Division and CoD or Battfront/field on a daily/hourly basis, and NONE, not a single person out of the 15 or so people I asked had any issue even close to what I and others were/are experiencing.
And I asked all the variations, from sluggish controls to "did your aim seem to be off" to "when you switched from Division to Black Ops 3, did you notice a difference". And I was the only one that had anything like input delay out of all these people.

You don't have to believe me, no. But I believe them. And since I was among the people that reported this since the Closed Beta, well... what reason would I have to lie?

But this might be the reason, why Ubisoft is still... well, let's be diplomatic and call it "tentative" about acknowledging the error. Much worse, though, if they cannot reproduce it, if they never even saw it, it does not bode well for a quick fix.

And the only thing I can think of, would be for someone to actually show them and let them experience it for themselves (so if any Malmö residents with the input lag would be willing to bring their PS4s over to Massive...)

Apart from that, the only thing we can do is wait. Or, you know. Not play the game (which is something I am considering, my game still in its amazon packaging).

slothstronaut101
03-10-2016, 10:52 PM
There`s been a bit of an "argument" going on online regarding this issue, so now that the game is out, and I had the chance to ask around, it SEEMS that NOT everyone is experiencing this issue. No, really. It seems to be only a small number of people (comparably small) that are affected. It also seems that those that were affected in the Beta are still affected.

I know, I know. I've read all the "arguments" like "people don't notice" or "people don't care" (and the less polite versions of those), but I have asked several of my friends, people that are very, very, VERY fastidious about stuff like that, competitive gamers (and streamers) that switch between the Division and CoD or Battfront/field on a daily/hourly basis, and NONE, not a single person out of the 15 or so people I asked had any issue even close to what I and others were/are experiencing.
And I asked all the variations, from sluggish controls to "did your aim seem to be off" to "when you switched from Division to Black Ops 3, did you notice a difference". And I was the only one that had anything like input delay out of all these people.

You don't have to believe me, no. But I believe them. And since I was among the people that reported this since the Closed Beta, well... what reason would I have to lie?

But this might be the reason, why Ubisoft is still... well, let's be diplomatic and call it "tentative" about acknowledging the error. Much worse, though, if they cannot reproduce it, if they never even saw it, it does not bode well for a quick fix.

And the only thing I can think of, would be for someone to actually show them and let them experience it for themselves (so if any Malmö residents with the input lag would be willing to bring their PS4s over to Massive...)

Apart from that, the only thing we can do is wait. Or, you know. Not play the game (which is something I am considering, my game still in its amazon packaging).

Since the PS4 is a closed platform, I am in the camp that it is a global issue, but there are a number of factors in play that may be resulting in less overall complaints, such as:

1. Response Time on Display
Some people may be habituated to slower than normal response in console games due to their display limitations.
2. Perception
Some people simply don't notice.
3. Controller sensitivity
Higher sensitivities help mask this issue.

In my mind this should be the number 1 priority on the PS4 platform version, as it absolutely is game breaking in my opinion in a game that encourages head shots to moving enemies. I have never played a PS4 game with such terrible input lag.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-11-2016, 07:59 AM
After playing for a while now (I decided to open it and just try), here are a few of my results:

1. To me, the input lag seems noticeably LESS than in the Betas. I cannot say, why this seems to be the case, but it is.
It's still there, but not as strong or noticeable.
I set my Camera and Aim Sensitivity to 50%, but that did not seem to make any noticeable difference regarding the delay between input and on-screen reaction.
I did disable HDCP in my PS4 settings before playing, but did not yet have a chance to test if that was a factor. I also set the controller light bar to "dim".

2. Curiously enough, it controls BETTER for me, when I use the Vita via Remote Play as the controller for the TV.
On the Vita screen it feels as it does on the TV with the controller, but using the Vita as a Controller feels more responsive.
This might be due to the smaller sticks and their radius (basically higher sensitivity), or it might mean that the problem is something of a dead zone issue, as having a bigger deadzone on the controller sticks than some people (me included) are used to.

3. Playing around with the visuals and audio settings (chromatic aberration, Edge Enhancement, Controller Speaker Audio) did NOT have any effect whatsoever.

4. Input lag seems to be a lot more severe, though, on the MAP SCREEN. Especially navigating with the left stick has a noticeable delay between action and on-screen reaction. This might be a design choice, though.

All in all I can play it. I'm not happy with the input lag, and I will probably have a hard time re-adjusting to more responsive games, but at least it's playable for me.
(All of this is subjective and therefore not denying or refuting anyone else's experiences).

mattias800
03-11-2016, 08:30 PM
I did a rough measurement. It's probably not correct, but at least it is indicative.

270 ms delay between input and reaction on screen.

In-game menu tested.

When I play games on Geforce Now (streaming service), I get half than that.

It is ridiculous to be honest, and the worst input lag I've seen this generation.

EDIT:
Less than half. Not half. And I'm rounding very generously.
The difference is actually quite a lot bigger, but given that the measurements are very rough, I don't want to give exact numbers.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Well, second day playing, and... weirdly enough, it seemed to be worse. Today. I don't know.

But every time I play I seem to have to readjust to new aiming. It's really not fun.

RecklessOnion_
03-13-2016, 07:43 PM
For me personally this is my biggest issue with this game.
It's definitely hard coming from all these 60fps super responsive games to this but even the 1 big other 30fps shooter, Destiny, has way more responsive controls then this.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-14-2016, 08:08 AM
22 hours in. Thing I dislike the most? Every single time having to readjust to the input lag for aiming.

... that, and seemingly always, ALWAYS playing in the Dark Zone by myself... (the mobs are really kinda overwhelming all alone...)

Kraunaattori
03-14-2016, 11:25 AM
This really needs addressing! They said it was forwarded in beta, but i've yet to see any indication of them actually working towards fixing it or making it any kind of priority.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-14-2016, 07:30 PM
I would really hope this at least makes its way (maybe one day, who knows) into the "known issues" list. The PC input lag is in there. We console players have rights, too, you know. AND input lag :D

RecklessOnion_
03-14-2016, 07:56 PM
22 hours in. Thing I dislike the most? Every single time having to readjust to the input lag for aiming.

... that, and seemingly always, ALWAYS playing in the Dark Zone by myself... (the mobs are really kinda overwhelming all alone...)

there is matchmaking for DZ

JhnFeynman
03-15-2016, 02:19 PM
I did a rough measurement. It's probably not correct, but at least it is indicative.

270 ms delay between input and reaction on screen.

In-game menu tested.

When I play games on Geforce Now (streaming service), I get half than that.

It is ridiculous to be honest, and the worst input lag I've seen this generation.

EDIT:
Less than half. Not half. And I'm rounding very generously.
The difference is actually quite a lot bigger, but given that the measurements are very rough, I don't want to give exact numbers.

Thanks for the data.
The fact that the input lag is twice as bad locally than other games are when streaming is pretty damning.

Haspyo
03-15-2016, 03:08 PM
The input lag, for me, is not persistent. Not to say I haven't experienced it, I certainly have. Just that it happens sporadically and without warning, then goes away just as sporadically.

x_cLOUDDEAD_x
03-15-2016, 09:18 PM
I did not notice in the open beta but noticed it immediately as soon as I started playing the retail version. I definitely know what input lag is and I definitely have it. Sensitivity adjustments help mask it, but it really needs to be addressed properly and fixed. I hope to see this added to the Known Issues page soon.

Have we gotten any response from Ubisoft? I saw one reference to a post here where someone from Ubi said they were aware of PS4 input lag being reported, but that was it. I haven't seen anything encouraging on Reddit.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-15-2016, 10:30 PM
It's still there, it's still annoying. That's all I can say. Love the game so far, love playing with others, love the gameplay, the missions... but it's all marred sadly by the input lag. No matter how good the game is, you feel disconnected, and that`s... just sad.

MarcECA
03-15-2016, 10:47 PM
The input lag can definitely be felt on PS4.
Can somebody from Ubisoft reply to this and tell us when they're going to patch this problem?

Thank you,
a gamer from Quebec.

x_cLOUDDEAD_x
03-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Seriously, Ubisoft, please give us a reply to at least let us know if you are aware of the issue. Not that you are aware it has been reported, but if you have confirmed for yourselves that it exists. Clearly there are lots of bugs to work on right now having just released the game, and the game is still playable with the input lag, so nobody expects this to be an immediate top priority. We are just asking for you to acknowledge it so we know a fix will be your goal. Please give us something to go on here...

The Division is a great game but we will never feel its full potential without this being addressed. Please help us here.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-16-2016, 10:12 PM
It would be nice to hear something official, yes. I do like the game a lot, but... it's getting annoying to play it like this. Really.

Cadeusus
03-16-2016, 11:48 PM
I have really bad lag. It takes at least 2 seconds for my shots to register a hit. The game has become unplayable on my PS4. I'm taking it back and getting something else. I'm going to lose money because Ubisoft can not do their jobs. If many players are reporting this here they should be trying to fix it. But nope they do nothing while their game just sucks with lag. I will not be buying Ubisoft in the future from what I've seen here.

thetwodoor
03-17-2016, 07:29 AM
Yes I am experiencing a bunch of lag input and latency issues. Shots take half a second to register which is not acceptable at this point in gaming.

MikeLoyal2Death
03-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Hi guys, this thread was brought to my attention on a reddit post I made almost a week ago. (https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/49v1s7/problems_with_severe_intermittent_input_delay_my/)

In that thread I went over a few of the things i'm experiencing and some of the things I've done to mitigate it. I'd like to warn that my topic talks about an issue that far fewer people experience, ON TOP OF the input delay that i've seen many topics on. I'll TL;DR some of it for you.

It isn't the network alone. I've had friends play on my network with their PS4s and their experience didn't change when I experienced the lag.
My temporary fix was to turn off/on my PS4 when things got out of hand. This didn't always work.
I rebuilt my PS4 database to no avail.
I deleted The Division application in its entirety two separate times. This showed an improvement in the global lag, but didn't halt the intermittent severe delays.
I stopped using Rest Mode, and power off my PS4 between gameplay sessions. This slightly improves performance in my experience.
Tried using two different controllers (Official Sony controllers). Both wireless. Both experienced issues.
Finally saw marked improvement when I decided to keep my controllers wired to my PS4. I combined this with shutdowns of the PS4 and have not experienced "Severe delay" in roughly 2.5 days (~12-14 Hours of gameplay).

I'm pretty sure this is a memory issue with the PS4, combined with how the game handles wireless inputs.

Now, there is still some delay in my game play, but it's been consistent and much less than the first week of playing the game.

Maybe this will work for some of you!

sergeantawesome
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
As the community noticed during the betas, the PS4 build of The Division suffered from quite severe input lag.
As it turns out, the final version is much the same, and if there has been any improvement it has been marginal.

Please address this issue in the coming patches.

Exhibit A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lajA7FB5s6c)
Exhibit B (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYHub24Rz4)
Exhibit C (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeEdq8LbZE)
Exhibit D (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI6IkZVqI5g)

Disclaimers:
No, this is not related to TV settings. We're talking about the game-induced lag, not the display lag. Division has more lag than other games running the same setup.
No, the fact that you haven't personally noticed it doesn't mean it's not happening. Watch the videos. Some people are more sensitive to this than you are.
Yes, the test case running on different screens is not as valid as the others, but it's just another drop in the bucket.
Also, this post is about input lag, not network lag. Don't confuse the two or suggest we fix this by doing network troubleshooting.

Thanks for reading.

I honestly don't mind the input lag until I cannot use my healing skill when mashing the button, or take cover, or dodge, or even sometimes move at all.

slothstronaut101
03-18-2016, 01:37 AM
After playing some more I can safely say it gets worse over time too. Really disappointed Ubi hasn't at least acknowledged this yet. Considering shelving it until a fix.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-19-2016, 06:00 AM
It's weird and a bit sad that this is seemingly ignored. Real pity. Love the game, but I don't think I will be able to stand it much longer in this sorry state.

RecklessOnion_
03-20-2016, 12:30 AM
It's weird and a bit sad that this is seemingly ignored. Real pity. Love the game, but I don't think I will be able to stand it much longer in this sorry state.

It's probably not an easy fix and it will never be improved upon sadly

P4NCH0theD0G
03-20-2016, 01:10 AM
That`d be a real pity. They could at least acknowledge the issue, though... :(

JhnFeynman
03-21-2016, 02:25 PM
That`d be a real pity. They could at least acknowledge the issue, though... :(

Well, let's assume for a moment that this issue is deeply integrated in the structure of the game. This can easily happen if you have a deep deferred rendering pipeline, which I can easily image The Division having, judging by it's plethora of lighting effects and post processes. If this is indeed the case, fixing it is not easy as it'd require pretty much completely restructuring the rendering pipeline, and probably at the cost of visuals.

Now, they could confirm that this is indeed a problem, making those of us who are sensitive to input lag happy. They could.
But what would that accomplish for them? We're clearly a small minority, and assuming the fix is as unlikely as we suspect it is, all their acknowledgement would accomplish is to make more people aware there is a problem in the first place. Once told about it, these people would start noticing it, and as the saying goes, "once seen, it cannot be unseen". So these people, currently living in happy ignorance, would then likely feel less enthusiastic about the game, and hence hurt Massive's goodwill.

So, if a fix is unlikely to happen, acknowledging the problem is obviously not in their best interest. I don't like it, but it makes sense.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, but that is assuming everyone has it. Which I still don't believe. Not only have friends of mine, very particular gamers, looked for it and not experienced any input lag (neither in the beta or the retail version), when you look at IGN`s footage from them playing it on release night, they never mention it, either. Plus all the other youtubers etc, only a small minority mentions it - which is really hard for me to understand since it's blatantly obvious.

I`m sorry, I don't subscribe to the "You're just not sensitive to it" theory. I think there's something that only affects a few people. And thus making it hard to fix.

UbiBooma
03-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone, this is something the team is working on. In the meantime please see our connectivity troubleshooting (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ/47/3502/connectivity-troubleshooting/kA030000000tiYmCAI)thread on the support (http://support.ubi.com)website. Thanks for engaging us on this.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Hi everyone, this is something the team is working on. In the meantime please see our connectivity troubleshooting (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ/47/3502/connectivity-troubleshooting/kA030000000tiYmCAI)thread on the support (http://support.ubi.com)website. Thanks for engaging us on this.

Thank you, but this is NOT a networking issue. It's an issue with the controller and console / reaction on the TV, not network-related. As such, the steps on the connectivity troubleshooting page don't really apply in any way. (It's also not TV related, as the video testing Destiny vs Division on the same TV setup show quite clearly) :)

I do hope the team knows that.

VauhtiVeikko
03-22-2016, 08:11 AM
I'v noticed the lag too. But for me it's not the same every day. It seems that sometimes it's much worse than the others. So it might be that in my case it has something to do with network lag? Although the menus are always a pain in the but. It just refuses to register R2+L1 buttons. I have to press them multiple times

P4NCH0theD0G
03-23-2016, 04:44 AM
Well, I have run out of ideas.

I tested everything I can think of to make it less, up to disabling the Wi-Fi on my router and using a third-party usb-only controller to eliminate any Wi-Fi interference.

For about 5 minutes I even considered that it might be a convoluted networking issue, as in regard to the Division servers and cloud-updates/patches, as in: Before stuff happens in our game world, any serverside changes - ike cloud-hotfixes and stuff that are not on our console and have to be loaded every time - have to be applied, so if the servers are far away from us geographically, that could possible create the input lag. But those things would (I hope) be downloaded into the console's cache and do their thing there.

I also thought, could the nationality of my PSN ID matter? My profile is UK, but I now live in Germany. Could I be forced to connect to UK based Division servers and could that somehow affect the input lag on my console? But the game is not streaming from those servers, so how could that matter?

I just don't know what else I could do. The lag remains, and it's still significant. And annoying.

So I stopped playing, for now. Pity, as I do love the game, but... well, yeah. But.

Salt & Sanctuary is pretty cool :)

x_cLOUDDEAD_x
03-27-2016, 03:54 AM

Are you inferring that the input lag is related to some sort of network issue? Please clarify your post a little more. Your suggestion that we look at a connectivity troubleshooting thread would seem to indicate that you think this a networking issue, but as far as we can tell what we are experiencing would not be network related. We really appreciate you posting to give us an update, but without clarification your post is more concerning than assuring.

Kraunaattori
03-27-2016, 06:04 PM
This input lag has absolutely nothing to do with networking.

Nothing changes (networking or hardware wise) when i swap to Destiny, where input lag is non-existent. When i swap back to Division, the input lag is there.

slothstronaut101
03-28-2016, 01:23 AM
The fact that this still hasn't made it into the "known issues" sticky is disheartening. Maybe this will eventually be fixed but I'm not holding my breath.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-29-2016, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking about selling mine, now. I haven't touched it in a week, or so. Sounds extreme, but stuff like that is driving me crazy. That constant feeling of "this is not how it should feel".
I really enjoyed playing, especially with a few buddies, but... well, but. I just can't do it the way it is, now.

Kinda sad. Was really looking forward to spending a lot of time on this :(

x_cLOUDDEAD_x
03-29-2016, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking about selling mine, now. I haven't touched it in a week, or so. Sounds extreme, but stuff like that is driving me crazy. That constant feeling of "this is not how it should feel".
I really enjoyed playing, especially with a few buddies, but... well, but. I just can't do it the way it is, now.

Kinda sad. Was really looking forward to spending a lot of time on this :(

I've kind of trailed off too and I don't plan on even trying PvP in the Dark Zone until it's fixed. I imagine there are a lot of others experiencing this on PS4 who don't bother posting on forums about it. Some know it's there and just deal with it, some probably stopped playing the game or never bought the game based on input lag being present in the betas, and then I'm sure there are lots of PS4 folks who just don't enjoy the game as much as they could and have no idea why. I really hope this gets fixed...

Anyone from Ubisoft out there who can give us an update and verify that you are working on a fix for actual input lag and not a networking issue of some kind? The people who are posting in this thread regularly have a firm grasp on the difference between the two and enough video and testimonial evidence has been provided to show that there is a real input lag issue on PS4. Please let us know that we aren't alone out here and that you guys are on the same page with us.

P4NCH0theD0G
03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
Also, as someone suggested, the support ticket I submitted because of this on March 10th is still waiting for an answer. Didn't even get a canned response, yet. :(

Really enjoying Salt&Sanctuary, though, which will hold me over until Dark Souls 3 arrives.

Pity, but I'll have to bid the Division goodbye. The issue has been known, reported and documented for... two months, now? Longer? And still nothing. Not encouraging, at all.

fanpsx
03-31-2016, 12:14 AM
Ubi developers - please fix input lag on ps4. Everything turn to sh$t after last patch...

P4NCH0theD0G
03-31-2016, 12:47 AM
Ubi developers - please fix input lag on ps4. Everything turn to sh$t after last patch...

You're talking about Network Lag. Completely different issue. This is about the delay between doing something on your controller and the action being performed on the screen, not about performing an action on screen and the re-action lagging behind due to network problems.

P4NCH0theD0G
04-02-2016, 08:54 PM
I'll keep checking in here every once in a while, see if something changes. Should they ever fix this, someone please post here and let me know :)

Otherwise, good luck and good games.

P4NCH0theD0G
04-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Everyone, try rebuilding your database on your PS4

Steps:
Shut down console.
Manually start console into Safe Mode by holding down the start "button" until the PS4 beeps for a second time (takes about 7 seconds).
Connect DS4 via USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Select "Rebuild Database"
Press Ok

I finally heard back from Ubi support and this is what they suggested, and wouldn't you know it, suddenly the controls don't feel as wrong anymore.
I still believe there's some input lag, but after playing a lot of Black Ops 3 (not noticeable input lag) and switching to the Division for 20 minutes I had almost no issue aiming. Before it felt like two totally different worlds now it seems okay-ish.

So give it a try, it's basically defragging your HDD, putting all the files that belong together in close vicinity. I think.

Cheers and good luck

PS Of course now I haven't played for weeks and am hopelessly behind everyone else and I fear I won't have the time for the Division anyway, so... yeah.