PDA

View Full Version : Those Who Shall Return - The Next Story Arc, Existing Lore Analysis/Theory (spoilers)

Sorrosyss
03-03-2016, 01:31 AM
[Warning: The following contains major spoilers from throughout the AC franchise.]

http://i.imgur.com/d32hbLv.png

For awhile now, the AC franchise has been using the themes of death and rebirth through its narrative. Through the Animus or Helix, every long dead character is brought back to life to share with us the story once told. With the advent of another 'reboot' of the series from 2017 and beyond, let us take a look at what may be coming, by that which has come before.

Let us start with two of the major revelations from the Modern Day of AC Syndicate. I feel these are both very important, as Ubisoft deliberately placed them as the final reveals - highlighting their significance as to what is to come.

Database: Reconstructed Data 010

Gramática: Isabelle! What brings you here?
Ardant: I came to gloat, actually. Look at this data.
Gramática: A Sage!
Ardant: It gets better. Check his patrilineal line.
Gramática: Let's see... patrilineal line... Nineteenth century American midwest. Eighteenth century American Revolution. Sixteenth century Ottoman Empire. Fifteenth century Italian Renaissance! Oh my god! You don't mean...?
Ardant: Yeah... The best part? His mother just walked him into one of your new clinics in New York City.
Gramática: I'd really like to strip him for parts like we did with Subject 17.
Ardant: Oh no you don't. You had your chance with the Shroud. This asset is mine, and I won't be a party to the needless mutilation of a ten-year-old boy. It's inhumane.
Gramática: So what do you plan to do with him?
Ardant: Given his unique lineage, I think we should put him in an Animus for the next fifty years. Think of the data we could extract!
Gramática: That's terribly old-fashioned. In any case, we should send Sigma Team to recover him.
Ardant: No. I'm going to keep an eye on him for now. We'll collect him when the time is right.

There is no ambiguity here. Desmond Miles has a ten year old son, and he is a Sage.

The second major event is from the Jack The Ripper DLC.

Database: Assassin Intel 6

To: WW-Assassins
Subject: Going Dark

Your messages have been received and after much deliberation William Miles has decided to enact the Rooftop Garden Protocol. As of this moment, all unnecessary communications on this network will cease.

Above all, your primary target remains Dr. Gramatica and his lab. If you find either, DO NOT ENGAGE. Report to me immediately and we will assemble a strike team.

Outside of this, you are free to choose your own targets, so long as you follow the Creed. I will be in touch when necessary.

To any Initiates reading this, thank you for your great service. For your own safety, we will not be contacting you for the foreseeable future. But the fight isn't over, and there's a good chance you'll hear from me again.

Until then, stay safe.

Bishop

It is quite evident from this text that the time of the Initiates is over. "Your messages have been received" - a nod to fan feedback on the distaste for the floating tablet? If we are to take this at face value, then this can only mean that the Modern Day will return in a playable fashion, and by all accounts a 3rd person protagonist for future games.

The question is whom? We'll come to that, but first...

Juno's Return

http://i.imgur.com/RQ14O1l.png

Its been much heralded. For four years now in fact! But she has waited in the Grey for long enough. Her speech throughout Syndicate's World War 1 section tells of how her return is imminent, and her face later closes out the game proclaiming that we shall be saved. Fans have called for her to actually do something tangible, and the time for her return would be quite timely if it was realised in the upcoming games.

If we look at the themes again, we see the idea of rebirth all over the character. In AC3 she appears to Connor as a blazing Phoenix - the legendary bird that is reborn from its own ashes. The parallel to Juno is overstated, even down to the aptly named Phoenix Project - which aims to map the Isu genome, and more than likely heavily influenced by the machinations of the Instruments of the First Will.

Some might even argue that the Ubisoft development team have planned for this for awhile, as one of Unity's Intel files states:

Database: 05: Phoenix Project Report
Phase three has now been in full operation since 2004, guided by the explicit mandate to sequence an entire precursor genome by the year 2018.

As Bishop stated in Jack The Ripper:

Database: Assassin Intel 1
Dr. Alvaro Gramatica is now our most valuable target. He is in possession of the Shroud of Eden and we know he intends to use it to recreate a precursor for purposes unknown.

As we've seen from Syndicate and ACC Russia, Álvaro Gramática (whom is heading up Phoenix Project) is now in possession of a Shroud of Eden, and one of the Precursor Boxes. He is likely close to completing a synthetic body, created in Isu DNA, much like the one that Juno spoke of trying to create in AC3. Whilst a new body may be created for Juno, how then to move her from the Grey and to bring life to her new body? For that we need another Piece of Eden.

The Ankh of Isis

http://i.imgur.com/xAMoSJ6.png

With the rumours of Egypt being the next location, this particular Piece of Eden suddenly jumps to the forefront of interest. What is even more fascinating is that its lore has now been completely retconned by Ubisoft, as it's history and backstory were laid out in the Les Deux Royaumes comics - and they are no longer considered canon.

http://i.imgur.com/73JMU0r.png

As such, the only canonical appearance it now makes in the franchise is in AC Rogue. I find it curious that Ubisoft chose to dedicate voice acting resources to such a minor object, if it truly will not have some future payoff. Have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TYmkwgCJA

In short, it evidently can raise the dead. Not temporarily anymore. Just... raise the dead outright.

Database: Reconstructed Data 011

(Repeat after me, children: There is no Piece of Eden that can bring someone back from the dead. STOP ASKING. -A. Gramática)

Admittedly Alvaro stated the above, but he's an intelligent man. Thats a pretty confident statement given how little we know of the true capabilities of the Isu. Some might argue he is even just covering his own back, by keeping others away from his own research. With this in mind, I think it is more of a nod to the Ankh for the fans honestly.

The attraction to this item for Juno is immeasurable. As we now know, she pushed her agent Violet Da Costa into locating the Shroud of Eden. It is but a simple step for Violet to be instructed to locate the Ankh, and find out how to use it. If it was located in Ancient Egypt, it seems a sensible point to send someone back to in time. The question is when?

"The Protagonist Looks Like Altair"

http://i.imgur.com/uYC7KGH.png

One of the cited rumours is that the next historical protagonist looks like Altair. This actually makes a lot of sense.

If Abstergo genuinely has got their hands on Desmond's son, then by sheer genetics he would have a strong resemblance to Desmond. By token, through his father's bloodline he would have access through an Animus to all of the same data. As with AC Rogue, it may well be that we end up playing as a character whilst under the watchful eye of Da Costa and Otso Berg.

Admittedly the fact he is a child could provide some gameplay challenges, but then we did play as the child versions of Connor, Arno and Aveline - so thats not to say it cannot be done. Another possibility is that the Modern Day could be jumped forward a few years to when he is a young adult. After all, we were playing in the year 2012 throughout the games released from 2007 - 2011.

There is another twist to all of this though. The fact that he is a living Sage means that within his body is the capability to unlock Aita's personality and his memories. With the Phoenix Project's stated target of travelling back to the First Civilization time period, it would be a brilliant way of exploring Juno's back story by allowing us to see her interactions with Aita.

I do not believe it stops there though.

Egypt as a framing device

http://i.imgur.com/ZBaK2Lf.png

From the looks of things it seems that Ashraf Ismail (the director of Black Flag) is most likely heading up the development of the Egypt game. Instantly, you imagine an open world where the water of AC4 is replaced by sand, and we travel between the scattered towns by horse or by boat down the Nile. (Someone say upgradeable ship?)

With plenty of open area to explore, it is interesting that the protagonist will supposedly have a Pet Eagle. The theory goes that without many high climbing points, the bird could instead be used to create viewpoints in mid air. This is not such a crazy idea, as Far Cry Primal has a very similar mechanic. We've also seen the recently announced VR Eagle Flight game, and the promotional video of an Eagle flying across London. It certainly seems they have had an interest in flight mechanics for awhile.

http://i.imgur.com/YUrRYnm.png

Its also interesting to note that The Division's Snowdrop engine has been made available (http://www.finder.com.au/gaming/the-divisions-dark-zone-experience-could-turn-up-in-assassins-creed) to all other Ubisoft studios. If the rumours that AC will use a new engine are true, this may be the one. At one point The Division allowed for players to control a drone, and fly above their teammates - this could easily be repurposed for a bird. The Snowdrop engine has also shown some very impressive weather effects, such as a deep fog and heavy snowfall with very low visibility - ideal for both the rumoured mirages and sandstorms that would be found across Egypt's desert.

http://i.imgur.com/cXnvHc0.png

I have seen many suggestions as to the time frame of the Egyptian game. Rulers such as Ramses III, Cleopatra, Imhotep, Akhenaten - all are great periods that could really explore the supposed themes of a slave that has been rumoured. One of the Ubisoft surveys mentioned the Egyptian Empire, and with a working title of Empire, many are expecting the period between the 16th and 11th century to likely be a focal point.

However, I offer another theory. What if we play as a human slave amidst the Human-Isu war? Thats right, 75,000 years ago.

Madness you say? Well, another of the rumours suggests that the writers wanted to get away from historical accuracy by placing the game "before the time of the Assassin and Templar orders". This would certainly fit that time frame, as both orders pretty much followed on from immediately after the Toba Catastrophe. It would mark a severe shift in the franchise to a more historic fantasy feel, and this too would tie up with the rumoured Witcher 3 feel. Darby McDevitt (likely the writer of the next game) had a very interesting thing to say about the First Civilization in an interview in February 2015:

"In the past two years I have been working with all the other writers to really get a great document together about the First Civilization. So, as a little teaser, we've really created like five, six, seven hundred years of First Civ history that we hope to start teasing out, you know, for the next ten or twenty years or however long we're around. Because as I see it - and I don't know how many people agree with me - there's always two ways to go with the First Civ. You could always make them mysterious and never quite know what they were. But I think that at a certain point in the game we said "Ok we know enough about them that they are a thing, they are real, so why not go the other direction and actually treat them as real history?".

So me and a number of writers have been [creating this], just as a side project, to really make sure that all future projects have this cool timeline to go from. We've created this huge, massive First Civ history with all the big moments and a ton of small moments that you never even thought of, so that every future writer can go like "Where's that timeline?" and "Ok, I wanna reference Juno again, or Minerva. Where was she at this date and what was she doing? In what stage of her progress was she? How far along was the Human - First Civ war going? When were humans created? How long between when humans were created and the war?"

Considering that Darby wrote the intel for Unity, we should not also forget about this image:

http://i.imgur.com/8gndA5N.jpg

This was apparently from Algeria 80,000 years ago, but it seems to give a pretty big hint at what is to come in my mind. In this time frame, prior to the Toba Catastrophe, Egypt could have been covered in great gleaming towers and Pyramids - that ultimately were destroyed. Not only would it give us the vast cities that we enjoy to climb over, it would cheekily suggest that the more modern Egypt crafted its architecture based off of those who came before. In the image we can also see camels, so its likely that in the Isu time we would have still had horses too.

If they were to use this time period, not only would it give the First Civilization and Modern Day a connected relevance once more, but it could also help us retain some of the features from the more recent games. For example, what if there is an Isu gadget that functions in the same way as a rope launcher? We know the Isu were capable of creating rockets, and indeed travelled across the world. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see vehicles similar to cars, and perhaps a way to reintroduce the carriages of Syndicate.

http://i.imgur.com/FCj36q1.png

Continuing the theme of death and rebirth, within Egypt in this time frame we could explore two very famous gods - Osiris and Isis. With the link to the Ankh, their appearance as members of the Isu would make perfect sense, especially if we get to see a resurrected Osiris from usage of the Ankh. The cancelled Ubisoft game of the same name likely has some assets that could be repurposed, but there are obviously a fair few developers with an interest in the character coming to life.

What of Greece and Rome?

http://i.imgur.com/V7B1DYY.png

Another of the rumours is that there will be a trilogy incorporating Greece and Rome. Alot of people have quite rightly pointed to the Ptolemaic dynasty, as you would have the link to the Greek Royal family, Cleopatra to Mark Antony, and thus Rome with Caesar. This is possible, but this area is already covered by existing lore, with Cleopatra felled by the Assassin Amunet, and Caesar by Marcus Junius Brutus. Admittedly, it would be fun to play as those two as Dual Protagonists, but I digress.

If we stay with the concept of the First Civilization time period, then Rome already makes sense. After all, we saw the vault below the Vatican, so we know they were in the area at some point.

As for Greece, while there is a few mentions of Pieces of Eden in relation to the area in the more recent past, I believe there are signs pointing to this as the location after Egypt already. The upcoming novel Last Descendants, is all about searching for the Trident of Eden. I believe this to be the equivalent of the Trident of Poseidon, or Neptune in the case of the AC universe. The weapon was quite notably mentioned in and around Athens, and seems a pretty apt place to explore its history within the Isu time period. Don't forget also, that we saw Neptune's statue back in AC Brotherhood.

http://i.imgur.com/GVEN6jD.png

Within AC Syndicate, Consus made reference to his master Hephaestus. He is a figure that is prominent in both Greek and Roman folklore, known for his crafting of weapons - specifically in the case of the Swords of Eden. What other weapons may be hidden amongst the two locations? Its highly likely that the reborn Juno would be after such items to remake her world, perhaps including the hidden twelve that she is apparently seeking.

But what of the Assassins?

http://i.imgur.com/ah5Veqk.png

Lets go back to the themes once more. The Assassins know that Abstergo are nearing completion on the new precursor body. They also know about Desmond's son, and in my view would likely attempt to contact him through the Animus/Helix. How would the Templars handle the truth once they realise they have been played by Juno? Will a truce be declared between the two factions in order to save humanity from the reborn Isu?

The storytelling potential here is huge. If the child does end up becoming the new main protagonist, he would have three conflicting stories within him;

- The Templars/Abstergo essentially torturing him into trying to find the Ankh.
- His feelings and devotion towards Juno.
- The Assassins (likely Bishop) trying to contact him and aid in his escape.

Which path will he take? Imagine if he ends up being the one that ultimately kills Juno. Killed by her beloved... what a twist. Its a perfect opportunity to reboot the story, as narratively speaking you would have Abstergo explaining to the boy exactly what is happening - which is kind of a parallel for any new comers joining the series. As we all went through the motions with Desmond, we gradually understood his situation in the first game, and explaining the same concepts such as the Animus, genetic memory, sages and the like in a way that a ten year old could understand would likely be ideal for a franchise newcomer.

Whilst it is highly possible that we would exclusively play as him, we cannot discount other possibilities. For example, we could also end up playing as an Assassin trying to locate the boy. But whom?

- The most obvious candidates are Galina Voronina and Charlotte de la Cruz. The current Titan Comics series are confirmed (http://i.imgur.com/iwJ2Dja.png) as full canon, and are being set up to lead us directly into the new games. These two characters are clearly the leads of the story so far. Galina we know a fair bit about, and her backstory and skill set would make her an excellent choice. There is even a suggestion that she was playable in the cut escape sequence that was planned for Syndicate. Charlotte on the other hand is a novice Assassin, who is very much learning the ropes. She may be more appropriate as a playable character, as an aid to introduce new players to the mechanics of the franchise. She also has some kind of special power that involves precognition, but we do not know the full details as yet. Personally I'd love to see either of them as playable, especially if we are exclusively playing as the male character within the historical portion. Lets keep inclusivity alive and well, and the female fans engaged with their own heroine to play as.

- Gavin Banks could be a candidate. But he seems to be more in a command role, than being out in the field.

- William Miles is another candidate. He has been in relative isolation since his son's death. If he suddenly discovered his grandson is being held by Abstergo, that would certainly be a call to arms. If he also realised that there was an object that could bring his son back from the dead that could certainly turn out interesting. There is a reason that the intel of Unity made a point of stating that Desmond was still alive within the Grey.

- Speaking of Desmond. Whilst his body may have been cremated, Abstergo retained some of his organs. If they are suddenly in the business of making synthetic bodies, could an Assassin infiltration help to gain a body for the deceased hero? Its a massive longshot, would feel extremely forced, but many fans have boycotted the franchise since his death. I cannot help but feel that if he was to return to the games, that the nostalgia would pull back in many people who once loved the series.

- Shaun and Rebecca have always been support team members. I honestly can't see that changing, as their skills are very much more technical than physical.

- Callum Lynch. The main character of the upcoming movie. He may be mentioned or have a cameo, but it has already been stated that the movie and game storylines are to be kept seperated for creativity purposes.

- Owen. He is a teenage high school hero of the upcoming Last Descendants novel. He could be a possibility.

- Someone new. Ubisoft may simply craft a new character from scratch. We cannot discount this.

Finally there is Bishop. This character is a real mystery, and would be an interesting choice to play as. She apparently has a real name (duh) that has not yet been revealed, but was significant enough to be left till later for some cryptic reason.

http://i.imgur.com/vOS4Wn1.png

Do you not also find it interesting that the great Shaun Hastings cannot find any information on her? From Syndicate:

Database: Bishop

So that's how I met Bishop. I know WHAT she does, she is kind of a central controller and dispatcher for Assassins around the world. She makes sure that when a Templar pops their head up, an Assassin is waiting to cut it off. Or if there's a new set of genetic memories to synchronize, she finds us a helpful soul like you to help synchronize them.

Which is all well and good. But I still don't know WHO she is and quite frankly I'm loathe to admit it drives me bat**** crazy. I joined the Assassins by uncovering the greatest conspiracy theory known to man, and yet I can't find anything on this woman.

Everyone's got a theory. Gavin thinks she's former CIA. My friend Harlan thinks she's a defector from Erudito, another hacker collective that no one's heard from in a while. Rebecca tells me that she actually knows the truth, but promised not to tell me.

Someone who does not want to be found, would have to be very good at it. Lets say you had done it for many thousands of years. That's right, what if Bishop is Eve?

http://i.imgur.com/WX21iNa.png

AC Brotherhood - Subject 16

"In Eden. Find Eve. The Key."

Its a headspin moment, but it is an interesting coincidence that she has evidently swept into the Brotherhood, and seemingly is running everything like a natural. Admittedly the eye colour does not match (contact lenses!), and the face is not an exact match - but then several of the character models in Syndicate looked a little off. If it is Eve though, she is continuing the fight from the original Human-Isu war, and will lead the Assassins against the reborn Juno. Perhaps she is unable to use an Animus as a hybrid, but she might direct Desmond's son as to how and where to find her in the ancient past, if she was in Egypt at the time, or of course where to find Eden. It would make a really beautiful symmetry to the circular themes of death and rebirth, and bring the ancient conflict back to life in full fashion.

AC Liberation Ending

"Eve will lead us through the war of generations."

How did she survive though? Well, she is a hybrid. Perhaps she is immortal. Perhaps she was able to be passed through the DNA of humans by a similar process as what happened to Aita - ala the Sages? If you look back at Dead Kings, do you not find it interesting that Bishop was able to place Arno in a time and location that he was able to locate a Piece of Eden seemingly at random? Makes you wonder all the more at the Lady Eve reference that is directly mentioned. Was she present in those events? Its a fascinating theory either way, especially if the koh-i-noor can be located (last seen in India) - as it was to be wielded by a female once humanity is "united".

Conclusion

With a movie, novels, and comics coming - the story of the Assassin's Creed franchise is ever growing. For the games apparent reboot, let us hope that many of the themes of the past games will finally have some payoff, with the signature elements of both the First Civilization and the Modern Day returning to the forefront of the storytelling. There has been enough death applied to the story elements in this series, it is time for a rebirth - of those who shall return.

http://i.imgur.com/TNkjsdn.png

[Credit to all respective image owners - most of which came from the excellent AC Wiki (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_Wiki)]

SixKeys
03-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Well written post. All the possibilities are almost enough to get me excited for what's to come, but I'm just not optimistic about modern day ever becoming as significant as it used to be. All of this speculation feels like the good old days, and yet we ended up with disappointments when it became obvious the devs were just making stuff up as they went along. I'd like to think there was a grand plan for Desmond's son, Eve, Juno and all that, but we've been strung along without answers for so long. The next game seriously needs to address this stuff if they want to make the lore feel like it matters anymore.

pacmanate
03-03-2016, 03:07 AM
Oh good, I missed the fact that 2018 is when Juno will take form. I think its pretty obvious that the precursor that Abstergo is making will be a vessel for her. So thats 6 years in real time of her being released from 2012 before she does anything.

Yes, I'm speculating, but the people in Abstergo making that Precursor are those crazy people who think that TWCB should rule them or something so I believe 2018 is when she will come to the real world... which i guess means 2019 or 2020 is when she will start doing stuff.

ERICATHERINE
03-03-2016, 05:16 AM
Great work on that thread.

I think its pretty obvious that the precursor that Abstergo is making will be a vessel for her.

Actually it can also be an all new Aita. After all for as far as I know all the precursor dna Abstergo got came from sages and as far know sages are "reincarnated" Aita. So I think Abstergo could very well recreate Aita by doing that. Also I doubt that Juno will snatch the body of her loved one if that could mean she will have to wait for another precursor body to be made for them to be united again. I know she could unite with him while he would be a sage, but I doubt she would feel it as the same thing. First a sage have 2 consiousness and the sage one isn't alway the dominant one. It sometimes just impose himself after the sage have lived long enough like in Germain's case. Secondly, that sometimes make them look like crazy like the one we kill as Lydia Frye. Finnaly, Bartolomeo Roberts (if it realy was him, I'm not sure at 100% if it was this sage or John Standish) looked like he hated his humain blood, so after sometime maybe Juno would think she prefered him as an Isu than now as a sage. ^-^

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
03-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks Sorrosyss, good post :)

cawatrooper9
03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Great post!

Here are my thoughts:

MD to Now

First of all, a lot of people criticize Syndicate's MD storyline, but I think it's actually the most we've moved forward in a long time. In fact, if MD ends up being more robust, this slow burn of a story actually makes sense. Let's look at it-

AC:BF-Our first real look (not counting AC:L) of the series after Desmond. Rather than jumping right back in with the Templars, we're caught in a sort of tug of war between the Templars, the Assassins, and Juno's influence, with our character not really understanding the ramifications of each.

ACU- Not a lot happens here, but we get to see some of the inner workings of the Assassins after Desmond.

AC:RO- Not a lot happens here, but we get to see some of the inner workings of the Templars after Vidic.

ACS- The first big clash that we get to see of the Templars and Assassins post Desmond. This sets up a lot of storylines in the game- Galina, Shaun and Rebecca working more in the field, the Shroud cliffhanger, Grammatica's experimentation, Sigma Team being active, Violette working for Juno...

Syndicate doesn't really deliver on many of these, but I don't think it was ever meant to- rather, it's meant to form the basis for the future of the series. Personally, I don't think MD has had so much tension, intrigue, and cool stuff going on since the end of ACR.

Next Historical Protagonist (and Rifts)
You mention that the protagonist might be during the Human-Isu war. It would be cool to see that for a bit, but I don't think most fans at this point want a game entirely set in that era- the series is kind of built on historical-fiction, and that might be just too far of a deviation.

I could, however, see a rift section of the game, perhaps showing human slaves revolting while building the pyramids, or something.

Regarding the main setting- If it is indeed Egypt, I think any Ancient era would be the most obvious, and lately obvious settings seem to be Ubisoft's forte (Victorian London, Revolution-era Paris, Caribbean Piracy...). However, if the theories that ACS's carriages were just reskinned cars that would be used in the next game, it might be interesting to see a WWII era Egypt as well. Colonialism has often been a theme in these games, but I think this game could take an interesting perspective in that the colonialists would be rallying against an ever greater evil- something that ACIII touched on a bit, but I think was too afraid to really commit to. Plus, this setting could introduce Italian fascists earlier in the game, and really pack a punch once the Nazis arrive.

I know WWII games are a dime a dozen, but the North Africa campaign is often overlooked- so I could see AC tackling this. But, to be honest, I'd rather have a game set in a more ancient era. :p

dxsxhxcx
03-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Bishop being "Eve" is an interesting theory, even more interesting if somehow the original Eve managed to do with her consciousness what Juno did with Aita's (creating female Sages with Eve's personality instead) to balance the scales in the future, if that's the case, I hope the next games explore her (Bishop and Eve) character a lot more because making this revelation out of nowhere will feel weird, I have a feeling that she's just a relative of someone who has already passed away (Daniel Cross for example) or a random person with a lot of knowledge about the "truth", maybe even a spy for the Instruments of the First Will, but let's wait and see what happens.

Great post!

Here are my thoughts:

MD to Now

First of all, a lot of people criticize Syndicate's MD storyline, but I think it's actually the most we've moved forward in a long time. In fact, if MD ends up being more robust, this slow burn of a story actually makes sense. Let's look at it-

AC:BF-Our first real look (not counting AC:L) of the series after Desmond. Rather than jumping right back in with the Templars, we're caught in a sort of tug of war between the Templars, the Assassins, and Juno's influence, with our character not really understanding the ramifications of each.

ACU- Not a lot happens here, but we get to see some of the inner workings of the Assassins after Desmond.

AC:RO- Not a lot happens here, but we get to see some of the inner workings of the Templars after Vidic.

ACS- The first big clash that we get to see of the Templars and Assassins post Desmond. This sets up a lot of storylines in the game- Galina, Shaun and Rebecca working more in the field, the Shroud cliffhanger, Grammatica's experimentation, Sigma Team being active, Violette working for Juno...

Syndicate doesn't really deliver on many of these, but I don't think it was ever meant to- rather, it's meant to form the basis for the future of the series. Personally, I don't think MD has had so much tension, intrigue, and cool stuff going on since the end of ACR.

Next Historical Protagonist (and Rifts)
You mention that the protagonist might be during the Human-Isu war. It would be cool to see that for a bit, but I don't think most fans at this point want a game entirely set in that era- the series is kind of built on historical-fiction, and that might be just too far of a deviation.

I could, however, see a rift section of the game, perhaps showing human slaves revolting while building the pyramids, or something.

Regarding the main setting- If it is indeed Egypt, I think any Ancient era would be the most obvious, and lately obvious settings seem to be Ubisoft's forte (Victorian London, Revolution-era Paris, Caribbean Piracy...). However, if the theories that ACS's carriages were just reskinned cars that would be used in the next game, it might be interesting to see a WWII era Egypt as well. Colonialism has often been a theme in these games, but I think this game could take an interesting perspective in that the colonialists would be rallying against an ever greater evil- something that ACIII touched on a bit, but I think was too afraid to really commit to. Plus, this setting could introduce Italian fascists earlier in the game, and really pack a punch once the Nazis arrive.

I know WWII games are a dime a dozen, but the North Africa campaign is often overlooked- so I could see AC tackling this. But, to be honest, I'd rather have a game set in a more ancient era. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png

IMO all the relevant information from AC4 until now could've been put in a single game, maybe two, via database and cutscenes if they really wanted to advance the story forward.

Mr.Black24
03-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Nice post! So much material they can play with. I'm getting myself excited actually.

One thing that stuck out for me is when in the last Assassin Intel, is when Desmond's son was reveled, I am surprised that this wasn't more attention grabbing for the Assassins. I was expecting DLC of Jack The Ripper to address this as some form of audio or even a cutscene. I want to see William and Shaun's reaction to this new development so bad.

cawatrooper9
03-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Bishop being "Eve" is an interesting theory, even more interesting if somehow the original Eve managed to do with her consciousness what Juno did with Aita's (creating female Sages with Eve's personality instead) to balance the scales in the future, if that's the case, I hope the next games explore her (Bishop and Eve) character a lot more because making this revelation out of nowhere will feel weird, I have a feeling that she's just a relative of someone who has already passed away (Daniel Cross for example) or a random person with a lot of knowledge about the "truth", maybe even a spy for the Instruments of the First Will, but let's wait and see what happens.

IMO all the relevant information from AC4 until now could've been put in a single game, maybe two, via database and cutscenes if they really wanted to advance the story forward.

I absolutely agree, and I have no doubts that they've been spinning their wheels for a while.

But in the end, I think we may some day look back on these few years as a sort of transitionary time for the series. It was indeed a slow burn, and could have gone much faster- but it is what it is. The past few games have shown the MD conflict from a variety of perspectives, which is cool I guess. But it absolutely is time for it to be more grounded.

Perk89
03-04-2016, 01:06 AM
How cool would it be if we found out that all the Assassins we've played as aren't just a random collection of guys but a handpicked team of covert warriors each picked out by Bishop herself all throughout history with an ultra secret ultimate goal of taking out Juno the minute her toes slid out the floppy drive? Maybe we'll get one last mission with each of them setting up their part, of, perhaps through some Animus or artifact trickery, we get to see them all unite to take her down together or some such.

Perk89
03-04-2016, 01:07 AM
Or maybe Abstergo grows another Ezio Auditore body and we play as him in the present. Could happen you know.

RinoTheBouncer
03-04-2016, 01:08 AM
Another impressive work. Great job ;)

cawatrooper9
03-04-2016, 03:36 PM
How cool would it be if we found out that all the Assassins we've played as aren't just a random collection of guys but a handpicked team of covert warriors each picked out by Bishop herself all throughout history with an ultra secret ultimate goal of taking out Juno the minute her toes slid out the floppy drive? Maybe we'll get one last mission with each of them setting up their part, of, perhaps through some Animus or artifact trickery, we get to see them all unite to take her down together or some such.

I'm sorry, but I would kind of hate that.

RVSage
03-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Awesome write up way to go :D All possibilities explored. Lot of potential for the next game

Jessigirl2013
03-05-2016, 11:35 AM
It is too much to hope for a third person protagonist.:rolleyes:

Shame its the same guy that did BF, I hope it feels more like an AC game than BF did.

Rebecca better not die.:mad:
I hope that S and R both return for MD.:cool:

Jessigirl2013
03-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Haha, did you post this on the forums before?

Well ill say what I did then.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.:cool:

Sorrosyss
03-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far!

Actually it can also be an all new Aita. After all for as far as I know all the precursor dna Abstergo got came from sages and as far know sages are "reincarnated" Aita. So I think Abstergo could very well recreate Aita by doing that. Also I doubt that Juno will snatch the body of her loved one if that could mean she will have to wait for another precursor body to be made for them to be united again. I know she could unite with him while he would be a sage, but I doubt she would feel it as the same thing. First a sage have 2 consiousness and the sage one isn't alway the dominant one. It sometimes just impose himself after the sage have lived long enough like in Germain's case. Secondly, that sometimes make them look like crazy like the one we kill as Lydia Frye. Finnaly, Bartolomeo Roberts (if it realy was him, I'm not sure at 100% if it was this sage or John Standish) looked like he hated his humain blood, so after sometime maybe Juno would think she prefered him as an Isu than now as a sage. ^-^

I agree that Aita being brought back is highly likely, but I can't help but think Juno will be the first to be reborn. There has been four years of foreshadowing for it, and it would be odd to just discount that in my view. I think it would be kind of interesting if once she is reborn she will go after Desmond's son to 'extract' Aita. This could be fun for the Assassins trying to keep him away from her.

Thanks Sorrosyss, good post :)

Wow, its an honour to have a Ubi rep replying. Thanks for reading!

There was a suggestion awhile back that all of the Assassins would somehow team up within the Grey to fight her. However, I think the significance of the Grey has diminished to the point that it kind of feels it was a narrative stalling device.

It is too much to hope for a third person protagonist.:rolleyes:

It would have been if the annual cycle continued, agreed. Now with the extra year, there is an expectation. ;)

Jessigirl2013
03-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Or maybe Abstergo grows another Ezio Auditore body and we play as him in the present. Could happen you know.
Ugh.. that's too far...

I agree that Aita being brought back is highly likely, but I can't help but think Juno will be the first to be reborn. There has been four years of foreshadowing for it, and it would be odd to just discount that in my view. I think it would be kind of interesting if once she is reborn she will go after Desmond's son to 'extract' Aita. This could be fun for the Assassins trying to keep him away from her.

Wow, its an honour to have a Ubi rep replying. Thanks for reading!

There was a suggestion awhile back that all of the Assassins would somehow team up within the Grey to fight her. However, I think the significance of the Grey has diminished to the point that it kind of feels it was a narrative stalling device.

It would have been if the annual cycle continued, agreed. Now with the extra year, there is an expectation. ;)

I assume as Abstergo has the shroud and the whole MD ending in Syndicate, Juno will get her body first no question about it.:rolleyes:

Lets hope they deliver on the MD that we have been yearning for since ACIII.:cool:

Perk89
03-05-2016, 04:14 PM

My only contingency would be that I would want the designated Assassins to be aware of the part they were playing in this. Which is where Bishop recruiting them across time comes in and why I may prefer to simply see them all undertake a secret journey to some place to set up their part by delivering an artifact or knowledge to a certain place in the past to be discovered would be preferable to me than simply AI ghosts of themselves fighting within the machine against her.

If they had a way of having those actual characters be involved and aware of their fight in the present then I'd be cool with that, via technology or some such, then I'm definitely down that with that. But the idea of their video game ghosts being the one that fights her kinda stinks.

Perk89
03-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Ugh.. that's too far...

It was just a joke, but given everything we've learned so far, it absolutely has to be possible. I don't, for the record, think Ubisoft will do it, but if you think about it-it could be done technically speaking.

The apple interacts with the human mind and stores a personal record of their consciousness in it's personal databank. Then, it could rewrite said consciousness onto another host body at any point in the future by interacting with the new body's mind and imprinting it upon that...and now tat bodies are being grown...well... you can make the obvious connection with DNA and etc etc.

Again, like I said, no way Ubisoft does it-but given everything we know...you kinda have to think it's possible.

ERICATHERINE
03-05-2016, 05:25 PM

You're welcome. ^-^

I agree it would be great, but on the other hand, if Aita is reborn first, he could become the "grand master" of the instrument of the first will and make everything he and them can to reborn Juno. Who knows, after Gramatica, he could become the number one target for the Assassins and since that target would be Aita instead of a sage, the boss battle against him could be great and show us how hard could be the one against Juno. ^-^