PDA

View Full Version : A bit disappointed

BumpySkate0
02-27-2016, 04:24 PM
Am I the only one that was hoping for a more realistic game?

I was hoping on no firefights emptying several clips on an enemy's body and still see him running if nothing happened.

Why does the opponent stil stands when I shoot him in the leg. Or turns around and shoots back when i shoot him in the back of his head from close range.
How many times do you haven to hit an enemy before he go's down?

Please don't tell me you have to do your maths to calculate your dps etc etc with this game before you can take a shot? I will do my math before a take a long distance shot. Not for close range firefights.

For me this would be a perfect game if only it would be a bit more realistic.

Graphics and playability are perfect. Scenario brilliant.

Hope to see a hardcore version soon.

EdgarHighman
02-27-2016, 07:15 PM
Aim for the head. Aim for the weak spots. All enemies can drop mighty fast. Use armor destruction gear/perks. I soloed the NW flamers in DZ02 the subway flamers in DZ01 and just about everything else. Learn where to shoot.

sandpants
02-27-2016, 08:10 PM
You are not the only one.

Mo0_0oM
02-28-2016, 04:36 AM
Oh well, back to COD for you homey.

Mo0_0oM
02-28-2016, 04:37 AM
Aim for the head. Aim for the weak spots. All enemies can drop mighty fast. Use armor destruction gear/perks. I soloed the NW flamers in DZ02 the subway flamers in DZ01 and just about everything else. Learn where to shoot.

I don't think Prima can make a strat guide easy enough for some folks.

ginja85
02-29-2016, 11:56 AM
This is not, has never been and never will be an ultra realistic shooter, this is not the game you are looking for.

This is an RPG, like WoW or EVE or FF. Everything you've suggested is complete nonsense and your disappointment is nothing but your own fault, even since the very first announce video it was clear it would be this way.

There will be no hardcore version, whatever the **** that is.

DieHarder55
03-01-2016, 03:06 AM

snip

Nope, definitely not. Love having to build, mod and craft stuff to get through higher level areas/missions. Don't have the proper build in a higher area, all you described is what happen because it is an RPG. This is something different than COD or Call of Duty or Rainbow 6, etc. Doubt you will see a hardcore version because it is not like the aforemetioned games. Glad it is not.

savill81
03-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Nope, definitely not. Love having to build, mod and craft stuff to get through higher level areas/missions. Don't have the proper build in a higher area, all you described is what happen because it is an RPG. This is something different than COD or Call of Duty or Rainbow 6, etc. Doubt you will see a hardcore version because it is not like the aforemetioned games. Glad it is not.

Please forgive me, I am very sorry, but your post made me laugh my head off!!! COD is Call Of Duty!!! That's funny.
And also sorry to slightly derail this thread, back on topic.
I am going to have to assume that the OP has never played an RPG before, I have, I've played loads and I am glad that somebody has finally made one with a realistic setting (That's the word there that the OP needs to understand), this is not a realistic game, but an RPG within a realistic SETTING.

LoH Ducks
03-03-2016, 05:48 PM
I personally think this style is a breath of fresh air. A shooter rpg I can play with friends. I don't feel that Destiny was really an rpg, was missing too many things to be called that. This one has the stats and everything I wanted. There are enough "realistic" shooters out there. And there will be more later this year/early next year.

Duachim
03-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Its an RPG, Loot Shooter. Its not suppose to be Realistic in the sense of Combat. If you can get past it then this is a very enjoyable game. Reminds me of Mass Effect combat. If you cant, well theres still COD.

rikakiah
03-03-2016, 09:42 PM
I can see the desire for more realism, especially given the realistic setting. I personally preferred the CoDs that had faster times to kill just for that factor. However, I've accepted the RPG nature of this game. Personally, I LOVE modern/near future military equipment/tech. There are a LOT of "realistic" military shooter with more "appropriate" times to kill. I really enjoy most of these. There are a lot of RPGs that I really enjoy as well, but they are all more fantasy based (which makes the spongier times to kill more believable). However, there aren't any other games that combine an RPG style looter with a modern military setting. I think I'm really going to like this game. I'm a fan of marksman-style weapons, so their higher bullet damage and more reliable headshots will make targets at least feel less bullet-spongey.

MAJ0R_K0NG
03-03-2016, 11:56 PM

I was hoping on no firefights emptying several clips on an enemy's body and still see him running if nothing happened.

Why does the opponent stil stands when I shoot him in the leg. Or turns around and shoots back when i shoot him in the back of his head from close range.

Please don't tell me you have to do your maths to calculate your dps etc etc with this game before you can take a shot? I will do my math before a take a long distance shot. Not for close range firefights.

Same here.

I knew this was going to be gamey when I first saw the E3 videos where the agents were deploying skills like healing grenade, turret etc. I would have preferred a grittier gameplay and something with fewer gadgets, but oh well.

While I don't like the bullet-sponge damage model I think many people don't realize that it places increased importance on teamwork, target prioritization, and maneuver. A smart team will capitalize on this.

TSlop
03-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Same here.

I knew this was going to be gamey when I first saw the E3 videos where the agents were deploying skills like healing grenade, turret etc. I would have preferred a grittier gameplay and something with fewer gadgets, but oh well.

While I don't like the bullet-sponge damage model I think many people don't realize that it places increased importance on teamwork, target prioritization, and maneuver. A smart team will capitalize on this.

I understand that's what you (and the OP) wanted, but this is an RPG. They aren't going to be realistic in combat when there are DPS numbers to crunch. The game simply went a route that is not favorable to you. If you play it like an RPG is played, you'll enjoy it (if you like RPGs). If you play it like a shooter, it won't be fun for you. I also know how you feel. Halo isn't an RPG, but I grew up playing that for my first person shooters. Once I jumped over to CoD and could mow people down so quickly, I hated the "slow" killing in Halo.

Again, the game just went a different direction than you imagined it. Maybe Ghost Recon Wildlands can be the game you are looking for. I'm really excited myself to see how that game develops.

Streven7
03-06-2016, 03:08 AM

I for one am totally excited for a realistic shooter based rpg. This game is such a breath of fresh air.

Lionheart1308
03-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I was also disappointed with this. Emptying a whole clip on someone's head should do a lot more damage... but then i learned i'm in the wrong game for that. What is most confusing is the style of the game being so realistic, yet the firefights so not. Still bought the game, but really hoping shooting at critical points of enemy bodies do a whole more damage.

Kraiden-
03-07-2016, 03:35 PM
OP doesn't know how a RPG works and thinks he's playing a FPS where gear and stats isn't in the game.

B_616e6f6e
03-07-2016, 05:39 PM
What if there was a Harcore mode difficulty setting that would give damage buffs to every character but decreased loot? This wouldn't work in DZ obviously... Well, maybe on dedicated servers, if there will be any. I'm not gonna buy this game if it won't have something similar to this.

I don't get why anyone would be against such a setting...

I don't get why some of those dorito smelling yucky RPG-nerds think that every non-RPG FPS is Call of Duty/Battlefield. Haven't you guys played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Misery? That was an RPG FPS with some brutal gameplay while still being fun and engaging. Geez you give me cancer and make me wanna drink bleach:(

TheOnlyDroid
03-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Its an RPG, Loot Shooter. Its not suppose to be Realistic in the sense of Combat. If you can get past it then this is a very enjoyable game. Reminds me of Mass Effect combat. If you cant, well theres still COD.

My man! Exactly what I was saying on teamspeak to my group.... Don't like it, don't buy it... COD, BF shooter ects.

B_616e6f6e
03-07-2016, 06:42 PM
My man! Exactly what I was saying on teamspeak to my group.... Don't like it, don't buy it... COD, BF shooter ects.

Umm... why do you wanna turn off different players instead of suggesting to the devs to add a different setting or mode to cater to those players? It's not like it's taking anything away from you.

eyanvenom
03-07-2016, 08:02 PM
I can see the desire for more realism, especially given the realistic setting. I personally preferred the CoDs that had faster times to kill just for that factor. However, I've accepted the RPG nature of this game. Personally, I LOVE modern/near future military equipment/tech. There are a LOT of "realistic" military shooter with more "appropriate" times to kill. I really enjoy most of these. There are a lot of RPGs that I really enjoy as well, but they are all more fantasy based (which makes the spongier times to kill more believable). However, there aren't any other games that combine an RPG style looter with a modern military setting. I think I'm really going to like this game. I'm a fan of marksman-style weapons, so their higher bullet damage and more reliable headshots will make targets at least feel less bullet-spongey.

Very well put.

GearyOmega
03-07-2016, 09:11 PM
This is a tactical RPG shooter. This is not a Call of Duty game, where people go down in several hits. People just have to recognize that, and it will be a lot easier going forward. I'm actually extremely glad this is set up this way. Because say if all enemies went down in just several hits, what difference would level, gear and skill progressions make? The answer is zero. These elements only matter when enemies get more and more difficult to take down.

The RPG element is what is going to give the game some long time playability in end game. Of course good and continual end game content for improved gear will help this as well.

B_616e6f6e
03-08-2016, 06:23 PM
This is a tactical RPG shooter. This is not a Call of Duty game, where people go down in several hits. People just have to recognize that, and it will be a lot easier going forward. I'm actually extremely glad this is set up this way. Because say if all enemies went down in just several hits, what difference would level, gear and skill progressions make? The answer is zero. These elements only matter when enemies get more and more difficult to take down.

The RPG element is what is going to give the game some long time playability in end game. Of course good and continual end game content for improved gear will help this as well.

It seems most (or the loudest) Division fans dismiss any sort of desire for more of a FPS-style of gameplay as an attempt to make this game into a Call of Duty. To me that seems somewhat ignorant.

What the devs could do is add a story mode for those that dislike the bullet-spongy gameplay of this game. What that would do is add damage multipliers to all characters outside DZ and decrease loot significantly. That would mean that even the basic weapons could take down most enemies in fewer shots (EDIT. Enemies would also be able to kill the player similarly) while still maintaining the balance between "non-story mode" players and "story mode players". This really doesn't seem like a demanding task to include into the game. (Though the devs seem to have their hands full with the release. Maybe in a future patch?)

BTW the reason why I would want something like this is the same reason why I quit playing Borderlands. I hate bullet sponges but at the same time I really love the setting of The Division, so I'm not gonna abandon this game without petitioning the devs first. That's really hard when you're in the vocal (and probably the least revenue giving) minority. I'm trying anyway.

EDIT. Nvrmind, I found out how incredibly bad the AI is. There's no point in having more immersive damage output when it would just be a turkey shoot. You can keep your dank RPG bullet soaking WOW-Destiny hybrid-clone.

sandpants
03-08-2016, 06:50 PM

This game is far from tactical and the bullet sponge is partly responsible. Longer TTK doesn't create a challenge, it just extends the time that you have to fall asleep out of boredom and make a mistake.

If you think that there is absolutely no way to make high quality gear relevant without resorting to the bullet sponge, that's just your lack of ability to design a valid system.
Higher quality gear already offer progressively more talents
they could have also made it so that
ammo,
accuracy,
reload speed,
etc,

would improve with quality rather than flat damage. If the game actually tried to be strategic then all of these would matter. But as it stands, the design is just lazy and is driven by the same simpleton mindset that you refuse to improve on, and why The Division falls short of all impressions it made during its E3 showcases, particularly the 2013 one.

This is coming from someone who stuck around and defended this game from sporadic critics since 2013.

GearyOmega
03-09-2016, 03:09 PM
This game is far from tactical and the bullet sponge is partly responsible. Longer TTK doesn't create a challenge, it just extends the time that you have to fall asleep out of boredom and make a mistake.

If you think that there is absolutely no way to make high quality gear relevant without resorting to the bullet sponge, that's just your lack of ability to design a valid system.
Higher quality gear already offer progressively more talents
they could have also made it so that
ammo,
accuracy,
reload speed,
etc,

would improve with quality rather than flat damage. If the game actually tried to be strategic then all of these would matter. But as it stands, the design is just lazy and is driven by the same simpleton mindset that you refuse to improve on, and why The Division falls short of all impressions it made during its E3 showcases, particularly the 2013 one.

This is coming from someone who stuck around and defended this game from sporadic critics since 2013.

So with this logic, instead of killing in 3-5 hits - all our level progression allows us to kill them in 2-3 hits? lol, no. This game is not a first person shooter, but actually officially labeled as a 3rd person shooter, think of Gears of War. UbiSoft is not going to change the game into a Call of Duty clone with a cover system, this is not going to happen. There's a reason Star Wars Battlefront failed, because it tried to be Call of Duty with Star Wars skin. So either be happy and play this tactical 3rd person RPG - or leave, and thank you for your $60 bucks. Sorry for giving the brutal truth.

CS.R3PTAR
03-09-2016, 03:25 PM
I'm getting a little tired of seeing post like these. I understand that some people had thought the game was going to be an open world tactical shooter, but the truth is... a game of such nature would die off very quickly. This has been shown to be true in games like DayZ. If you can kill someone in one head shot regardless of the gun equipped because it's "realistic" you basically just killed all reason to level up and get better gear. A level 10 player should not be able to go toe to toe with a lvl 18 player assuming they are both competent. Hell even a fresh lvl 30 shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with a lvl 30 who has all yellow gear.

The design for the game encourages progression and grind. I am already level 18 and can see the game play out like any other RPG game out there. Do all missions and get to level 30 then start to work on better gear. The game at least offers a wide diversity of methods to get better gear down the road unlike other games of the same nature. Sure this game will become a little dry in a few months when players have maxed out their gear slots, but then it turns into another shooter for them. It is funny however seeing people constantly complain that because the NPC's are human that they should be easy to kill, you know because aliens and monsters in other games are so realistic lol.

Another point to make is the DZ. If the game was realistic, then you would have players just sit back and snipe people from a fair distance constantly. that is the problem with a realistic open world shooter, ganking would be harder to combat.

sandpants
03-09-2016, 03:34 PM
So with this logic, instead of killing in 3-5 hits - all our level progression allows us to kill them in 2-3 hits? lol, no. This game is not a first person shooter, but actually officially labeled as a 3rd person shooter, think of Gears of War. UbiSoft is not going to change the game into a Call of Duty clone with a cover system, this is not going to happen. There's a reason Star Wars Battlefront failed, because it tried to be Call of Duty with Star Wars skin. So either be happy and play this tactical 3rd person RPG - or leave, and thank you for your $60 bucks. Sorry for giving the brutal truth.

That's no brutal truth, it's just ignorance layered on top of the usual common opinion. It's like claiming this game is a RPG is the only voice of reason possible EVER.
I don't understand what 1st/3rd person has to do with anything.
Borderlands is 1st person and it has bullet sponge.
Deus Ex: HR is 3rd person and it doesn't.

You clearly lack the basic ability to branch out of whatever your consumerism mentality has been conditioned to receive on a regular basis, and just cite CoD like it's some de facto exemplar. In regards to this discussion, it's just a popular franchise, nothing more.

This is hardly a tactical game. There are some elements that require a particular skill setup and rotation, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is miles from being tactical. If syncing up with the whack-a-mole popping in and out AI and taking potshots at them is considered tactical, I guess it's no wonder that Mario Bros is apparently becoming too difficult for the general masses of this generation of gamers...

I'm getting a little tired of seeing post like these. I understand that some people had thought the game was going to be an open world tactical shooter, but the truth is... a game of such nature would die off very quickly. This has been shown to be true in games like DayZ. If you can kill someone in one head shot regardless of the gun equipped because it's "realistic" you basically just killed all reason to level up and get better gear. A level 10 player should not be able to go toe to toe with a lvl 18 player assuming they are both competent. Hell even a fresh lvl 30 shouldn't be able to go toe to toe with a lvl 30 who has all yellow gear.

The design for the game encourages progression and grind. I am already level 18 and can see the game play out like any other RPG game out there. Do all missions and get to level 30 then start to work on better gear. The game at least offers a wide diversity of methods to get better gear down the road unlike other games of the same nature. Sure this game will become a little dry in a few months when players have maxed out their gear slots, but then it turns into another shooter for them. It is funny however seeing people constantly complain that because the NPC's are human that they should be easy to kill, you know because aliens and monsters in other games are so realistic lol.

Another point to make is the DZ. If the game was realistic, then you would have players just sit back and snipe people from a fair distance constantly. that is the problem with a realistic open world shooter, ganking would be harder to combat.
Likewise, it is tiresome to see a plethora of people gobbling up the entire "we need bullet sponge to justify the need for better gear". There are so many other ways to emphasise the need for better gear, and so many other ways to make it impossible to one shot high level enemies with a lvl1 gun, that this argument is akin to saying that the Moon MUST be made out of cheese because it has holes and craters and circles in it. It's quite frankly ******ed.

And with that I lost hope for good games.

B_616e6f6e
03-09-2016, 04:03 PM
That's no brutal truth, it's just ignorance layered on top of the usual common opinion. It's like claiming this game is a RPG is the only voice of reason possible EVER.
I don't understand what 1st/3rd person has to do with anything.
Borderlands is 1st person and it has bullet sponge.
Deus Ex: HR is 3rd person and it doesn't.

You clearly lack the basic ability to branch out of whatever your consumerism mentality has been conditioned to receive on a regular basis, and just cite CoD like it's some de facto exemplar. In regards to this discussion, it's just a popular franchise, nothing more.

This is hardly a tactical game. There are some elements that require a particular skill setup and rotation, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is miles from being tactical. If syncing up with the whack-a-mole popping in and out AI and taking potshots at them is considered tactical, I guess it's no wonder that Mario Bros is apparently becoming too difficult for the general masses of this generation of gamers...

Likewise, it is tiresome to see a plethora of people gobbling up the entire "we need bullet sponge to justify the need for better gear". There are so many other ways to emphasise the need for better gear, and so many other ways to make it impossible to one shot high level enemies with a lvl1 gun, that this argument is akin to saying that the Moon MUST be made out of cheese because it has holes and craters and circles in it. It's quite frankly ******ed.

And with that I lost hope for good games.

You are on point. The Division is lost.
Ghost Recon Wildlands is the last chance I'm giving to Ubisoft.

sandpants
03-09-2016, 05:02 PM
You are on point. The Division is lost.
Ghost Recon Wildlands is the last chance I'm giving to Ubisoft.

I wouldn't give it that much credit either.
GRW doesn't offer what TD has had the opportunity to do. A scenario where you have a seemingly insurmountable task of saving a city from complete collapse with limited resources, relying on whatever you scavenge. The mere thought of it makes you feel desperation.

B_616e6f6e
03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't give it that much credit either.
GRW doesn't offer what TD has had the opportunity to do. A scenario where you have a seemingly insurmountable task of saving a city from complete collapse with limited resources, relying on whatever you scavenge. The mere thought of it makes you feel desperation.

Yep. It's a waste of an awesome setting. I mean, a pandemic apocalypse and sleeper agents under the same title... If the gameplay was fun I'd be all over it.

Check out Escape from Tarkov if you haven't yet. I gather it might be what you were looking for in The Division (excluding NYC, the pandemic and the sleeper agents - sadly.)

sandpants
03-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Yep. It's a waste of an awesome setting. I mean, a pandemic apocalypse and sleeper agents under the same title... If the gameplay was fun I'd be all over it.

Check out Escape from Tarkov if you haven't yet. I gather it might be what you were looking for in The Division (excluding NYC, the pandemic and the sleeper agents - sadly.)

I've seen it and it's just too elaborate with too many details on micromanagement, and no SHD agents with interesting gadgets set in a Tom Clancy Universe.

tanis38
03-10-2016, 07:23 PM

You must have missed the parts when the developers constantly said this was an RPG shooter.

sandpants
03-10-2016, 09:23 PM
You must have missed the parts when the developers constantly said this was an RPG shooter.

RPG =/= bullet sponge.

killer kouki
03-14-2016, 07:31 PM
I totally hear where you are coming from. Shooting aliens that are bullet sponges is one thing, but guys in hoodies breaks the mental paradigm we have of reality.

That said, realism doesn't always translate to fun gameplay. In the example you mentioned, imagine if the enemy shot you in the leg and you buckled at the knees. Camera jerks around. You might even see the sky for a second. After you recuperate, the thug shoots you in the head. Dead. Now rinse and repeat. What you have is a game filled with extreme caution and a slow pace because people will be afraid to engage in battles until they are 100% certain they can walk away alive.

It took me awhile to get used to this aspect of the game, but when I think about it further, I think it was a good design decision by the game designers.

One thing I truly love about this game that I can't get with Destiny (a game that I also really like) is the intense firefights that have tons of explosions involved. Not sure what level you are, but as you closer to the end game, things get super hectic and fun.

But I understand that it's an aspect of the game that many cant get past.

DownBeachDynasty
03-14-2016, 07:53 PM
It's a gear and loot based game. Realism would kill the point of this game.

Burningbear42o
03-15-2016, 05:06 AM
Actually I'm thrilled with the game, mostly for the reasons that you are disappointed with. Of course, I was expecting a shoot&loot RPG, not another CoD or ARMA.

Leon026
03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Call of Duty and "Realism" should not be uttered in the same sentence. Especially if the realistic reference in question, is Call of Duty.

You want realism? Both ArmA and the military are looking for fresh recruits (and more recently Squad). I can personally attest from my own experience, that sitting around for 4 hours waiting for something to happen in the middle of a forest (both in-game and irl) is not fun at all.

And Hardcore mode already DOES exist. It's called Challenge mode. It's pretty hardcore alright.