PDA

View Full Version : (For budget builds) How to make Syndicate look like the PS4 version on PC

ADI00S
02-16-2016, 09:58 AM
I wish that ubisoft would just reveal the the graphical settings used in PS4 in comparison to the settings on PC, so people with budget builds would know exactly what settings their PC would be able to run the game on in order to recreate a similar experience. Unfortunately they haven't done this for Assassins Creed Syndicate, so here is my attempt at figuring it out.

The settings that can recreate the PS4 experience for PC gamers are as follows:

Environment: Very High
Textures: Medium (the actual PS4 setting is somewhere between medium and high, but it looks closer to medium)
Shadows: High
Ambient Occlusion: SSAO
Anti-Aliasing: FXAA + MSAAx2 (I am unsure of this because it could also be FXAA, however that will remain unclear untill the PS4 settings are officially shared)

Resolution: 1600x900 (If you want to duplicate the experience from the ps4 but FXAA + MSAAx2 is too glitch for u, then just switch resolution to 1920x1080 and turn the AA down to FXAA. It downgrades the quality of edges a bit but still looks about the same as the ps4 version)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

V-Sync: off (turning this on will make ur PC drop frames if it goes below 27fps and there is a really nasty glitch that some people have which will keep dropping ur frames every 5 seconds if you keep this on)

Lastly, cap ur frame rate to 30fps from your graphical drivers. For N-Vidia cards, it should be in the N-Vidia control panel next to the 3D-options. For AMD cards, the new drivers changed the location for tweaking game settings and now you will find it under the gaming tab at the top left, where you just click on the icon of ur game and the setting should be there.

If you have any mid range graphics card that can come close to the power of a AMD radeon 7850 (which is what the PS4 runs), then the game should run pretty stable at 30fps for u once you have copied these settings.

Seaclean
02-16-2016, 07:19 PM
Are you sure that textures and shadows are not more like medium than high? Not sure the PS4 would be able to run shadows at high and medium textures are still quite decent looking.

ADI00S
02-17-2016, 05:45 AM
Are you sure that textures and shadows are not more like medium than high? Not sure the PS4 would be able to run shadows at high and medium textures are still quite decent looking.

I am sure about shadows because the PS4's 8gb v-ram handles that but textures seemed a bit between medium and high. I guess they just optimized the areas that made the consoles drop below 27 frames. However, if ur gpu is still having trouble the best option to decrease would be textures to medium cuz they have the largest impact on a budget graphics card's v-ram.

Anykeyer
02-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Whats the point? Just play with whatever settings your system can handle

Jessigirl2013
02-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Whats the point? Just play with whatever settings your system can handle

Yeah, that's what Geforce experience and AMD gaming evolved are for.:cool:

Good idea OP for letting people know what settings the pS4 runs at though, I was curious.

The shadows on high is correct, a lot of comparisons between the PC and PS4 match the settings the PS4 has to compare frame rate.:rolleyes:

ADI00S
02-17-2016, 02:21 PM
@AnyKeyer. Knowing what the consoles can do in comparison to ur PC can give u a better judgement on where your experience with the game stands, which is why i posted this.

@Jessigirl2013. Thx for confirming the shadows, now only if you can help with the second dought that I have about the AA. I think the game uses FXAA + MSAAx2 cuz the game looks more clear on youtube ps4 videos than it does on my PC when I play with FXAA. However, when I put the game on FXAA + MSAAx2 it looks better than the youtube version but then I see my frames dropping below 24fps when im on a carrage. A second opinion would help if possible xD

TaylorBlakeH
02-17-2016, 06:10 PM
@AnyKeyer. Knowing what the consoles can do in comparison to ur PC can give u a better judgement on where your experience with the game stands, which is why i posted this.

@Jessigirl2013. Thx for confirming the shadows, now only if you can help with the second dought that I have about the AA. I think the game uses FXAA + MSAAx2 cuz the game looks more clear on youtube ps4 videos than it does on my PC when I play with FXAA. However, when I put the game on FXAA + MSAAx2 it looks better than the youtube version but then I see my frames dropping below 24fps when im on a carrage. A second opinion would help if possible xD

Most console games ALWAYS use post-processing anti-aliasing. I highly doubt the PS4 is using MSAA in any capacity. It looks to me like heavy FXAA with some SMAA most likely. Heavy on the blur to hide the jagged edges.

By the way, almost all new titles new, including this one, use triple buffering in combination with V-Sync so that whole thing about "dropping frames in HALF when you go under the target frame rate of 60 or 30" does not apply. Even if a game doesn't support it, just disable V-Sync in game and use V-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel where you can also enable triple buffering. I don't recommend disabling V-Sync. Tearing is a HORRIBLY noticeable artifact when your frame rate exceeds your refresh rate (of course if you're only targeting 30 FPS and hardly exceeding it, you're nowhere near that 60 Hz mark of your monitor) and on top of that, the fluctuation you will see i frame rate will cause terrible stuttering illusions and a headache for sure. I don't recommend disabling V-Sync for any reason unless you have a G-Sync card and monitor. Capping your frame rate will still cause stuttering as your monitor's refresh rate is displaying duplicate frames until it can receive another one from your GPU.

ADI00S
02-18-2016, 12:20 AM
Most console games ALWAYS use post-processing anti-aliasing. I highly doubt the PS4 is using MSAA in any capacity. It looks to me like heavy FXAA with some SMAA most likely. Heavy on the blur to hide the jagged edges.

By the way, almost all new titles new, including this one, use triple buffering in combination with V-Sync so that whole thing about "dropping frames in HALF when you go under the target frame rate of 60 or 30" does not apply. Even if a game doesn't support it, just disable V-Sync in game and use V-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel where you can also enable triple buffering. I don't recommend disabling V-Sync. Tearing is a HORRIBLY noticeable artifact when your frame rate exceeds your refresh rate (of course if you're only targeting 30 FPS and hardly exceeding it, you're nowhere near that 60 Hz mark of your monitor) and on top of that, the fluctuation you will see i frame rate will cause terrible stuttering illusions and a headache for sure. I don't recommend disabling V-Sync for any reason unless you have a G-Sync card and monitor. Capping your frame rate will still cause stuttering as your monitor's refresh rate is displaying duplicate frames until it can receive another one from your GPU.

Actually I did a head to head comparison from my friend's PS4 playing side by side to my PC with FXAA. There were two things that I did wrong. First, the console use textures that are close to the medium setting on PC. I came to this conclusion because some areas in the PS4 looked terrible when compared to the high settings on PC. Second, it really is FXAA + MSAAx2 because even though my game had more light and sharper textures, the real difference was clear when I came to a fence. The jaggies on the PS4 were much farther off on the fence than they were on my PC, and when I changed the PC settings it seemed about the same. If you still got doubts try it urself, or stick to w/e makes u happy, its up to u.

By the way this game does have double buffer V-Sync because every 5 second the game spikes in frames when it is turned on. Turning V-Sync on in N-Vidia control panel was a good idea, except the game still gets screen tearing even after you do that, meaning it doesnt recognize the setting. However, that could only be on the AMD side cuz I have not tried a N-Vidia card yet.

Lastly, I dont get your logic when you say decreasing the max amount of frames being displayed will duplicate frames?? I think you have it backwards cuz reducing frames actually reduces the load on the gpu to keep updating or drawing a new image. To put it in simpler terms, the game will not stutter because your gpu will be capped at a steady frame rate which prevents it from jumping up and down between 30 and 60 frames. Why else would the devs cap their frames on consoles?

TaylorBlakeH
02-18-2016, 07:11 AM
Actually I did a head to head comparison from my friend's PS4 playing side by side to my PC with FXAA. There were two things that I did wrong. First, the console use textures that are close to the medium setting on PC. I came to this conclusion because some areas in the PS4 looked terrible when compared to the high settings on PC. Second, it really is FXAA + MSAAx2 because even though my game had more light and sharper textures, the real difference was clear when I came to a fence. The jaggies on the PS4 were much farther off on the fence than they were on my PC, and when I changed the PC settings it seemed about the same. If you still got doubts try it urself, or stick to w/e makes u happy, its up to u.

By the way this game does have double buffer V-Sync because every 5 second the game spikes in frames when it is turned on. Turning V-Sync on in N-Vidia control panel was a good idea, except the game still gets screen tearing even after you do that, meaning it doesnt recognize the setting. However, that could only be on the AMD side cuz I have not tried a N-Vidia card yet.

Lastly, I dont get your logic when you say decreasing the max amount of frames being displayed will duplicate frames?? I think you have it backwards cuz reducing frames actually reduces the load on the gpu to keep updating or drawing a new image. To put it in simpler terms, the game will not stutter because your gpu will be capped at a steady frame rate which prevents it from jumping up and down between 30 and 60 frames. Why else would the devs cap their frames on consoles?

No, I don't have it backwards. When I say "duplicate frames" perhaps I should have said "duplicate draws". Your monitor (assuming ti's 60 Hz) is going to draw an image 60 times every second NO MATTER WHAT your GPU's frame rate is. If your GPU is capped to push out only 30 frames per second, then basically every other draw or refresh of your monitor is drawing a duplicate of the last frame it received because when a monitor doesn't receive a new frame/image from the GPU in time for its next draw, then it just displays/draws the last frame that it received again until it gets a new frame. That means that if your card is doing 30 FPS, but your monitor is doing 60 Hz (let's just say 60 DPS, "draws" per second), then there isn't an even number of frames to show for each draw of your monitor so you will see duplicate draws displayed in between which is what gives the appearance of stuttering. This is why G-Sync technology is so amazing; it adaptively changes your monitors refresh rate to match your GPU's frame rate output; this means that the monitor ONLY draws a new image once it receives a new frame from the GPU, meaning no duplicate frames are displayed, therefore no perceived stuttering (unless you start dropping to 25 FPS or lower, which will just look bad), and of course, no tearing either since the monitor raises its refresh rate to match higher frame rates.

I still stick with my idea that consoles are using FXAA + SMAA.... They can't afford MSAA on consoles. I will find you soem screenshots of mine using ReShade to inject SMAA in this game oin the PC so you can see how well SMAA removes aliasing compared to MSAA, which does it pretty much identically well, but with almost zero performance cost.

ADI00S
02-18-2016, 11:37 AM
No, I don't have it backwards. When I say "duplicate frames" perhaps I should have said "duplicate draws". Your monitor (assuming ti's 60 Hz) is going to draw an image 60 times every second NO MATTER WHAT your GPU's frame rate is. If your GPU is capped to push out only 30 frames per second, then basically every other draw or refresh of your monitor is drawing a duplicate of the last frame it received because when a monitor doesn't receive a new frame/image from the GPU in time for its next draw, then it just displays/draws the last frame that it received again until it gets a new frame. That means that if your card is doing 30 FPS, but your monitor is doing 60 Hz (let's just say 60 DPS, "draws" per second), then there isn't an even number of frames to show for each draw of your monitor so you will see duplicate draws displayed in between which is what gives the appearance of stuttering. This is why G-Sync technology is so amazing; it adaptively changes your monitors refresh rate to match your GPU's frame rate output; this means that the monitor ONLY draws a new image once it receives a new frame from the GPU, meaning no duplicate frames are displayed, therefore no perceived stuttering (unless you start dropping to 25 FPS or lower, which will just look bad), and of course, no tearing either since the monitor raises its refresh rate to match higher frame rates.

I still stick with my idea that consoles are using FXAA + SMAA.... They can't afford MSAA on consoles. I will find you soem screenshots of mine using ReShade to inject SMAA in this game oin the PC so you can see how well SMAA removes aliasing compared to MSAA, which does it pretty much identically well, but with almost zero performance cost.

I still think you have it backwards. You see when setting the game to run at a max of 60fps, the frames jump from 30-60 relatively and that is what causes more stuttering than caping it at 30. All the stuff you say about monitor may be correct but it doesnt help to have the game running at 60fps on a budget build. There would still be less stuttering on a normal monitor if the game is caped at a steady frame rate because your GPU wouldn't have to do the extra work in processing new frames meaning the interval between each frame would be more even.

Lastly even if it is FXAA + SMAA you still need to change the setting to have FXAA + MSAA to duplicate the experience.

TaylorBlakeH
02-18-2016, 03:03 PM
I still think you have it backwards. You see when setting the game to run at a max of 60fps, the frames jump from 30-60 relatively and that is what causes more stuttering than caping it at 30. All the stuff you say about monitor may be correct but it doesnt help to have the game running at 60fps on a budget build. There would still be less stuttering on a normal monitor if the game is caped at a steady frame rate because your GPU wouldn't have to do the extra work in processing new frames meaning the interval between each frame would be more even.

Lastly even if it is FXAA + SMAA you still need to change the setting to have FXAA + MSAA to duplicate the experience.

Have you tried injecting SMAA in the PC version of Syndicate so you can compare how close SMAA and MSAA are?

And also, you still aren't understanding what I'm explaining. I'm not saying that it's better to have 60 vs 30 FPS on a budget pc.... I'm saying that you can eliminate the effect of "Stuttering" at EITHER 30 or 60 FPS if your monitor's refresh rate does not exceed either of those frame rates. People mostly think, including yourself it seems, that "stuttering" is only caused by low frame rate, or frame rates under 60. But at 30 FPS and above, the only real perceived stuttering effect comes from playing at a frame rate below your refresh rate of your monitor which causes the appearance of the same image drawn multiple times.

But I understand your point about fluctuation; that it looks better to keep it capped at 30 where you will never dip below so you don't see jumps. I'm not going to argue this anymore because I think we're discussing two different things.