PDA

View Full Version : Surviving the Dark Zone

StillMindz
02-03-2016, 03:38 AM
I just want to reiterate a previous comment I made. I noticed many people are complaining about the nature of the Dark Zone. People don't like being robbed, murdered, etc. However, this feature adds to the world of The Division. The game takes place during the collapse of society, in which people are desperate. It's fitting that the Dark Zone is the way it is.

Don't ask Ubisoft Massive to protect you. Instead, use your head.

1.) You do NOT have to call in the extraction helicopter from the middle of an intersection, or the center of the rooftop of the parking garage, or in the middle of a courtyard. There is flexibility in where the extraction rope lands. I always call the helicopter from a covered position, so that the rope lands behind cover. This way I don't have to expose myself to hook my loot onto the rope. For some reason, people like to have the extraction rope deployed dead center in the open. Beats me.

2.) After some time, you will know which roads are frequented by players. Don't use them. There are plenty of alleyways/shortcuts through buildings. Use them. Not only do they offer speedy travel, but they allow you to break line of sight.

3.) Befriend trustworthy people. There are plenty of communities being formed that are anti-rogue. Make friends on there, and you can have a fair degree of certainty that they will not kick you from the party and shoot you in the back.

4.) Bait players. Once you shoot a flare, its like attracting sharks with blood. Exploit it. Shoot a flare in one extraction zone and run to another and extract from there instead. Lure people away from where you want to be. Use deception.

5.) Keep your head on a swivel. Don't get tunnel vision on one player, to only get shot in the back by someone you didn't know was behind you. Even when I'm in a firefight, I periodically scan my surroundings.

6.) DO NOT approach agents to see if they are friendly, ESPECIALLY if you are alone. Don't alert people to the fact that you are alone. Just like in real life, if you appear weak people will take advantage of you. Opportunity breeds crime.

7.) There are multiple entrances into the DZ. Use them. If players camp one location, move to another.

8.) Don't trust emotes. I don't care how many jumping jacks they do.

Bacon Burgers
02-03-2016, 03:50 AM
As a lone wolf I mostly scouted at night and in inclement weather. Picking my battles and making sure at least one gun had a silencer for quick and quiet engagements. During the day I liked to use the cover to cover system and made sure no one was getting too close. Solo extractions were mostly successful for me. A lot of the times I'd have another solo player show up for easy pickings or no one at all. I used the map to avoid hot spots and always put distance between them and me. People gave me benefit of the doubt mostly when I was spotted. Their mistake. I liked to hide with the concealed pulse scanner from a distance and wait for them to make the first move. I love the cover to cover system in this game. I could wait at a distance, pulse, and make up ground very quick and precisely due to the travel line and being able to interact with many objects in one move. If it was one person with their back to me I always tried to steal loot. Grenade at about 3 seconds until the rope deployed and finished quick with a silencer. Pull the loot or put it on the rope and run the opposite way of their death location and the two nearest checkpoints. Run the rouge timer down, go back to safe house/checkpoint, restock and regain my nerves. I would switch to twitch or do something for a minute or two and give the victim enough time to look around and move on. I played coy with larger groups and tried to earn trust by tossing assists and a few friendly gestures then cutting off the opposite direction. Most large groups who were non hostile all made clean extractions. Sitting back and scanning the situation is my advise to all group or solo. Some people make it obvious of their intentions out in the open with no loot at the extraction point. If I didn't like how the odds stacked or player behavior I left and set a way point for the opposite corner of the map. If you're not having much luck in a certain DZ take what you can get and head back to BoO to catch your breath, check the vendors, then kind of jog back. Don't let your pride make some troll rich. Take in the sights admire the game for a second and clear your mind of the misfortune you may have ran into. Search the green zone for flash bangs, tear gas, incendiary and explosive ammo. Canned foods, sodas, waters, and energy bars. Also stock up on clothes, change your outfits. When you enter and leave the DZ change something so repeat attackers/victims won't be able to make you from a distance. Make the DZ fun for you, not for others! Use your surroundings and plan your next step before you make it when pillaging/extracting. If all else fails don't be afraid to run to save your hide and hit the checkpoints frequently for new gear/grenades/med packs and change of clothes!

StillMindz
02-03-2016, 04:00 AM
As a lone wolf I mostly scouted at night and in inclement weather. Picking my battles and making sure at least one gun had a silencer for quick and quiet engagements. During the day I liked to use the cover to cover system and made sure no one was getting too close. Solo extractions were mostly successful for me. A lot of the times I'd have another solo player show up for easy pickings or no one at all. I used the map to avoid hot spots and always put distance between them and me. People gave me benefit of the doubt mostly when I was spotted. Their mistake. I liked to hide with the concealed pulse scanner from a distance and wait for them to make the first move. I love the cover to cover system in this game. I could wait at a distance, pulse, and make up ground very quick and precisely due to the travel line and being able to interact with many objects in one move. If it was one person with their back to me I always tried to steal loot. Grenade at about 3 seconds until the rope deployed and finished quick with a silencer. Pull the loot or put it on the rope and run the opposite way of their death location and the two nearest checkpoints. Run the rouge timer down, go back to safe house/checkpoint, restock and regain my nerves. I would switch to twitch or do something for a minute or two and give the victim enough time to look around and move on. I played coy with larger groups and tried to earn trust by tossing assists and a few friendly gestures then cutting off the opposite direction. Most large groups who were non hostile all made clean extractions. Sitting back and scanning the situation is my advise to all group or solo. Some people make it obvious of their intentions out in the open with no loot at the extraction point. If I didn't like how the odds stacked or player behavior I left and set a way point for the opposite corner of the map. If you're not having much luck in a certain DZ take what you can get and head back to BoO to catch your breath, check the vendors, then kind of jog back. Don't let your pride make some troll rich. Take in the sights admire the game for a second and clear your mind of the misfortune you may have ran into. Search the green zone for flash bangs, tear gas, incendiary and explosive ammo. Canned foods, sodas, waters, and energy bars. Also stock up on clothes, change your outfits. When you enter and leave the DZ change something so repeat attackers/victims won't be able to make you from a distance. Make the DZ fun for you, not for others! Use your surroundings and plan your next step before you make it when pillaging/extracting. If all else fails don't be afraid to run to save your hide and hit the checkpoints frequently for new gear/grenades/med packs and change of clothes!

+1

You reminded me of a couple tips. Your mentality is great. Play smarter, not harder.

JasonMustang21
02-04-2016, 01:14 AM
I would like to say thank you to "StillMindz" and "Bacon Burgers" for the great Hints/Tips you have given. I am new to the RPG games and really enjoyed it even though it was BETA only. Really exited for the full version to be out on March 8th. I didn't much of DZ, but when I did, I struggled a lot and mostly because I was not being smart about things and wasn't expecting to be killed by other players and lose all of my stuff. I will be keep all that the both of you have mention for the next time and I am sure I will be a lot more successful the next time around with these Hints/Tips. I would like to say to "UBI Soft" great job on "The Division" and can't wait for the Full Game to be out. I have enjoyed it a lot.