PDA

View Full Version : [Build] The Sniper

Dah_Marshmallow
02-02-2016, 04:25 AM
http://mp1st.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/BmUg7zKCIAAHXQU.jpg
The Sniper
Glass Cannon, Slayer, Headhunter

In Tom Clancy's The Division, there are three, separate and very different roles and numerous ways to fill out those roles. In this guide I explain the Sniper playstyle.

The Abilities

The Sniper, as you can imagine will be largely immobile, they'll perch up in cover from a long distance, and make use of their scoped DMRs to pick targets off from long range. Sadly, in the last Beta, you didn't have a lot of abilities that played that way. However, we have some info leaks that give us insight into some pretty wicked abilities, such as:

Smart Cover

Reinforces a cover, increasing the user's damage and reducing incoming damage for all allies in the cover.

Mixing it with the Mod Recharger, we get a Long Range Damage Advantage, while giving out a sizable boost to everyone via Scan Pulse and Tactical Link, to drive our raw damage, crit chance, and critical damage through the roof.

Talents

Talents are a further customization system in The Division that we didn't have access to in the Beta. You can unlock (all) and equip up to four Talents at once. For the Sniper, they're pretty straight forward from the list. We want to buff our damage uptime as much as possible, as well as our buffs, and if we don't see a lot in the way of that, we can surely buff up our damage resistance.

One is None Headshot a hostile to have a 50% chance of not consuming the bullet. Requires: SWU Canine Unit

Uhh? Say what? Double magazine capacity if I'm good enough? YES PLEASE.

Tech Support Kill a hostile while any skill is deployed to extended any active skills duration by 10%.Requires: TWU Recalibration

Do I really need to explain why this is amazing for us? This can essentially extend the duration of both of our primary Skills through the entirety of a firefight, and allow us to have them ready for the next. As the DPS depending on our own buffs -- you need this skill.

Stopping Power Suppress a hostile to increase headshot damage by 25% for 10s. Requires: SWU Shooting Range

If you opt for an LMG (any LMG) or an AK-47 as your secondary -- it might be advantageous of you to actually do a little suppressing. Though I don't think the boost is worth it, as we'll be trading time spent sniping, for time spent shooting at the cover a mob is in. Its also worthless in PvP.

Critical Save Use a medkit during low health to increase damage resistance by 40% for 10 seconds.Requires: MWU Counseling

Survivability is our weakest aspect, this and the next Talent can fix this.

Adrenaline Use a medkit when not at full health to receive an overheal. Requires: MWU Decontamination Unit

See above.

The Gear

Since DMRs are big hit, High Damage weapons, they benefit the most from the Firearms skill. Seeing as how you should never be on the front lines or any kind of real danger (you should also have the Higher Ground in any encounter you feasibly can), there's no reason not to fully invest in it. Even Electronics will be wasted for you. You'll also want to keep an eye out for Critical Damage (thanks to our abilities we won't need more Critical chance)

For Weapons, you'll want slow RPM DMRs, as rifles like the M1A, M14, and SCAR-H rely on lining up multiple head shots in a row, at relatively low damage, these also trade range in for that high RPM and Mag Count. We want rifles like the M44, the R-700, and the SRS (featured in the picture above). Bolt Action Rifles deliver the biggest 'ticket' damage of any of the DMRs, and that's what we want. We want to devastate foes with single, high damage hits, as that's where we get the most bang for our Firearms Skill.

SMGs are your Secondary, primarily low RPM (because of the notes above) so that our damage is at its highest. SMGs inherently have a very high critical chance across the board of the weapon archetype. The UMP .45 is your best bet.

For our Sidearm, we'll want like my Pointman Build, the M1911 thanks to its high shot damage, fast reload, and moddability. If you're lacking an M1911, the Revolver will also work, though Six Rounds is not a preferential attribute for a short-ranged emergency.

Wtbx_Envinn
02-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Good build and advice. For second weapon, i would prefer a lmg like the M249B as in a dog fight you will not have two weapon to use, with this one you have at least 100 round.

it's my choice

Dah_Marshmallow
02-03-2016, 01:02 AM
LMGs are good and all, however the secondary weapon is honestly, just an emergency. We should never be in a position where we need to use it, and SMGs are the fastest TTK in the range where it matters. In the Beta was I able to melt Elite mobs with one clip from the Vector within 20 meters, and I had over 800 rounds spare.

Selynar
02-03-2016, 02:08 AM
I like your thread, I see most people using high RPM semi-auto Marksman rifles. I enjoyed my M44 I believe it was. 5 round mag, bolt action. High armoured players took a two-tap to the head, but most was one shot.

However, I prefer ARs for the "emergencey" weapon. The damage done I personally out do the SMG. That's not numbers, that's just my personal preference, I find the accuracy for headshots much more precise dealing more damage per shot than the SMG's can dish out in the same time frame.

Dah_Marshmallow
02-03-2016, 02:25 AM
I like your thread, I see most people using high RPM semi-auto Marksman rifles. I enjoyed my M44 I believe it was. 5 round mag, bolt action. High armoured players took a two-tap to the head, but most was one shot.

However, I prefer ARs for the "emergencey" weapon. The damage done I personally out do the SMG. That's not numbers, that's just my personal preference, I find the accuracy for headshots much more precise dealing more damage per shot than the SMG's can dish out in the same time frame.

AR's are great indeed, but in the range that they're useful -- SMGs will out perform, or we'll want to use our Marksman Rifle, and we get no major attribute change with it (for SMGs, they get critical chance across the board, 10%+ and more which stacks with our Critical Chance/Damage Stat and Pulse Scan, and with Marksman Rifles we get double to triple extra headshot damage). Its always a preference, but I think later in the game (when we don't have an end-all-be-all-best-weapon-in-the-game) I personally believe SMGs will be the preference for folks for Automatic Weapons, as the base damage is actually very similar between two equal weapons (if we had a Cadecues grade MP5 I bet people would have been running it in the Dark Zone).

But that's speculation on my part. Play what you like, I personally really enjoy SMGs because I'm an Aggressive ****lelord.

Selynar
02-03-2016, 03:17 AM
AR's are great indeed, but in the range that they're useful -- SMGs will out perform, or we'll want to use our Marksman Rifle, and we get no major attribute change with it (for SMGs, they get critical chance across the board, 10%+ and more which stacks with our Critical Chance/Damage Stat and Pulse Scan, and with Marksman Rifles we get double to triple extra headshot damage). Its always a preference, but I think later in the game (when we don't have an end-all-be-all-best-weapon-in-the-game) I personally believe SMGs will be the preference for folks for Automatic Weapons, as the base damage is actually very similar between two equal weapons (if we had a Cadecues grade MP5 I bet people would have been running it in the Dark Zone).

But that's speculation on my part. Play what you like, I personally really enjoy SMGs because I'm an Aggressive ****lelord.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%, I think its the playstyles that are going to be what makes this game great. Perfect example is you favouring SMGs, and I do agree that endgame SMGs are going to be godly with crit bonus, but I prefer ARs. I like to sit back at almost max range and snipe, and when they come towards me, switch out to AR and finish the job with well placed head shots. My concern with SMGs is the spread out of Close - close/mid range, its unreliable for headshots.

I prefer the guaranteed route of bonus damage, over the luck based damage of crit. I've always played that way in RPGs. However, it sucks when you go up against a REALLY LUCKY S.O.B. Because then you're done.

I'd really like to see some high tier SMG's to see the talents and how high the bonus crit chance goes... Especially if you can get a nice High tier sight with Crit chance + crit damage, or even Crit chance + accuracy. Not hard to imagine running around with 60%+ crit chance... then watch out.

Dah_Marshmallow
02-03-2016, 04:19 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%, I think its the playstyles that are going to be what makes this game great. Perfect example is you favouring SMGs, and I do agree that endgame SMGs are going to be godly with crit bonus, but I prefer ARs. I like to sit back at almost max range and snipe, and when they come towards me, switch out to AR and finish the job with well placed head shots. My concern with SMGs is the spread out of Close - close/mid range, its unreliable for headshots.

I prefer the guaranteed route of bonus damage, over the luck based damage of crit. I've always played that way in RPGs. However, it sucks when you go up against a REALLY LUCKY S.O.B. Because then you're done.

I'd really like to see some high tier SMG's to see the talents and how high the bonus crit chance goes... Especially if you can get a nice High tier sight with Crit chance + crit damage, or even Crit chance + accuracy. Not hard to imagine running around with 60%+ crit chance... then watch out.

That's the reason why I'm pushing Crit Chance and Damage over Headshot bonus ;3

And your concern -- I'll admit, isn't something I have to worry about much on PC, recoil control is second nature at this point for me so I can score a chain of red numbers with my MP5 from across the Basketball Court in Madison Square, or from the couches at Koby's with a Vector. But, the reason I suggest the lower RPM SMGs is because they get that bonus, the time between shots gives you more time to line up that next headshot -- or react to a miss/body shot, and because they scale far better with Firearms skill, as well, burst firing them is far easier -- heck you can even grab that Burst-fire MP5 if you fancy the accuracy (I can't stand it tbh, the follow up shot time is abysmal).

If you're going to go for an AR -- most definitely pick something with a low RPM, as the Damage per Shot will be higher, which in turn gives you a bigger bonus from Firearms (since it adds % damage to your weapon, not flat damage).

If shotguns were big ticket hitters like the Bolt Actions, I'd say you were a fool to play anything but Shotty Sniper -- but Massive opted for the more shooter-favorable approach of calcing every pellet -- which is just magical when you put its barrel to Hutch's back, and watch the three seconds of yellow hit-marker, and a shower of orange numbers to follow.

From the scaling I've seen on 4-8 SMGs, I'm guessing baseline Superior quality SMGs at level 30 (Level Cap) will have 25-30% Critical Chance if the trend continues, which is just too amazing to pass up.

I'm actually going to write up my build notes on a 'Gunner' Tank build here in a few days time, so that might interest you because its all LMGs and AK47s.

Selynar
02-03-2016, 05:20 AM
Well if you could take a look at my post on "Non Archetype Build", I'd appreciate your input, Its taking what I know and looking at it from an alternate point of view to try and get the most bang for your buck with builds. Focussing mainly on stat progression then weapons, and gear, and finally perks/talents/skills.

Dah_Marshmallow
02-03-2016, 05:39 AM
Well if you could take a look at my post on "Non Archetype Build", I'd appreciate your input, Its taking what I know and looking at it from an alternate point of view to try and get the most bang for your buck with builds. Focussing mainly on stat progression then weapons, and gear, and finally perks/talents/skills.

I've been trying to dig into that post but the lack of formatting makes it hard for me to skim over (a bad habit of mine certainly). I personally prefer the Trinity system from more traditional (and even some non-traditional) RPGs, and that dynamic works really well in my eyes here -- especially in PVE content (Which is going to be a lot crazier than people are thinking).

If you honestly had the PC version of the game (and the ability to play it -- I got no clue as your situation) I'd almost ask if you'd run with me and start up a Youtube channel around it (or get in on another channel, w/e).

So, in other words -- I'll look, but I don't make any promises about contributing :)

Selynar
02-03-2016, 06:11 AM
Hey no worries I'll attempt to format everything better tomorrow. I have the Xbox version of the game unfortunately but I'm really thinking of uploading vids to youtube on it. I think this game has a lot to offer and may be confusing for quite a few.

Amaroq64
02-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I was doing a sniper build because I want to be able to lone wolf. In the beta, I played with Pulse and Heal. When the full game comes out and Heal can increase your damage, I see no reason to switch to other abilities.

Also, why smg instead of shotgun? If you're going to use an emergency weapon, it should be shotgun, right? (Though I find shotguns unwieldy in the darkzone. Players don't just run straight at you like npcs with baseball bats do. Every time I've ever tried to shoot a player with a shotgun, I've missed terribly.)

Dah_Marshmallow
02-03-2016, 10:44 PM
I was doing a sniper build because I want to be able to lone wolf. In the beta, I played with Pulse and Heal. When the full game comes out and Heal can increase your damage, I see no reason to switch to other abilities.

Also, why smg instead of shotgun? If you're going to use an emergency weapon, it should be shotgun, right? (Though I find shotguns unwieldy in the darkzone. Players don't just run straight at you like npcs with baseball bats do. Every time I've ever tried to shoot a player with a shotgun, I've missed terribly.)

Because of Smart Cover. With Recharger Mod, it heals you over time like a Medical Station, and reduces the Cooldown on Scan Pulse. With the Master for Smart Cover, you take all of the buffs you go with the cover with you for 10 seconds. Plus, the Smart Cover also reinforces the cover you've taken, which you really won't be leaving unless you absolutely have to (a few grenades just landed at your feet), and unlike First Aid, Smart Cover's bonuses have a higher uptime (and are probably the same in magnitude) which means more damage per second.

The reason for the SMG over the Shotgun is in how the damage is calculated. Shotguns deal their damage in lots of small packets. Smaller numbers, means less gained from Percentage increases (like Firearms' damage bonus), while SMGs do the same thing -- the lower RPM SMGs do more base damage than their higher RPM counterparts, meaning the damage is significantly higher. So Firearms affects our DPS by modifying per-shot damage (each packet) so the guns that deal the highest base damage, are our best friends. As well, with the inherent bonus to SMGs, critical effects will be numerous when combined with our buffs.

Kremdes
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM
LMGs are good and all, however the secondary weapon is honestly, just an emergency. We should never be in a position where we need to use it [..]

if you go sniper, you will come into situation where you go out of ammo relativly quick. One more reason to use slow rpm, high shot damage rifles.

The reason for the SMG over the Shotgun is in how the damage is calculated. Shotguns deal their damage in lots of small packets. Smaller numbers, means less gained from Percentage increases.

That makes no sense at all. If your shotgun does 8*300 per shot and the LMG does 450 per shot. But both have the same DPM. It just doesn't matter. You multiply both values by the % of the damage increase you get through stats. LMG may take the win because it has a better "optimal range" to go with the sniper than a shotgun does. But shotgun comes with a higher burst that may come in handy. But there is no problem with the scaling they do...

Dah_Marshmallow
02-03-2016, 11:41 PM
if you go sniper, you will come into situation where you go out of ammo relativly quick. One more reason to use slow rpm, high shot damage rifles.

That makes no sense at all. If your shotgun does 8*300 per shot and the LMG does 450 per shot. But both have the same DPM. It just doesn't matter. You multiply both values by the % of the damage increase you get through stats. LMG may take the win because it has a better "optimal range" to go with the sniper than a shotgun does. But shotgun comes with a higher burst that may come in handy. But there is no problem with the scaling they do...

I'll show you the math I'm coming from.

Shotgun

Damage per packet base = 80
Packets per shot = 10
Shots per Minute = 50

SMG

Damage per packet = 140
Shots per Minute = 600

Fire Arms Skill = 250

Damage increase = 250%

80*2.5=200

140*2.5=350

You almost never hit with every pellet from your shotgun, so out of 10, I'll be generous and say that 6 pellets hit your target in the chest.

200 8 6 = 1,200

SMGs are far more reliable with hits the lower the RPM. 80% is giving Shotguns a very strong advantage.

If we shoot continuously for one minute without reloading.

350*.8(Accuracy)=280

280 * 600 = 168,000

1,200 * 50 = 60,000

For posterity sake, lets say we hit 100% of pellets, and 100% of rounds for both.

200*10 = 2,000 * 50 = 100,000

350 * 600 = 210,000

A shotgun would need the Damage model of a M870, coupled with the fire rate of a SASG (120 RPM) to match the damage of an Uzi. Such a gun, doesn't exist as far as we've seen.

Shotguns can't compete with SMGs in Firearms builds because of the damage model. I love shotguns, but that's the simple truth. Its further compounded with the fact that SMGs have an inherent Critical Chance of 10% or greater, so 60 or so rounds in that calculation will deal double damage.

Dah_Marshmallow
03-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Bumpity bump bump for Release!

OJ191
03-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Because of Smart Cover. With Recharger Mod, it heals you over time like a Medical Station, and reduces the Cooldown on Scan Pulse. With the Master for Smart Cover, you take all of the buffs you go with the cover with you for 10 seconds. Plus, the Smart Cover also reinforces the cover you've taken, which you really won't be leaving unless you absolutely have to (a few grenades just landed at your feet), and unlike First Aid, Smart Cover's bonuses have a higher uptime (and are probably the same in magnitude) which means more damage per second.

The reason for the SMG over the Shotgun is in how the damage is calculated. Shotguns deal their damage in lots of small packets. Smaller numbers, means less gained from Percentage increases (like Firearms' damage bonus), while SMGs do the same thing -- the lower RPM SMGs do more base damage than their higher RPM counterparts, meaning the damage is significantly higher. So Firearms affects our DPS by modifying per-shot damage (each packet) so the guns that deal the highest base damage, are our best friends. As well, with the inherent bonus to SMGs, critical effects will be numerous when combined with our buffs.

that's.. not how percentages work

if an SMG does 500 damage in one bullet and you have a 50% damage boost, it will deal 750 damage

if a shotgun does 500 damage in 10 pellets for 50 damage each with a 50% damage boost, that's still 750 damage or 75 per pellet.

SMG's may be more crit effective yes depending on if crits are per shell or per pellet.

As for low vs high rate of fire, on average it balances out. low rate of fire means higher damage means individually stronger crits, but high rate of fire means more/faster chances to get a crit in the first place, leading to overall more crits over a given period of time.

In fact the only type of damage boost where there WOULD be a difference in effectiveness, flat damage boosts, FAVOURS high rate of fire weapons (and shotguns depending on how it is applied).

500 damage per bullet firing once a second with 100 bonus damage per shot means 600 dps
250 damage per bullet firing twice a second with 100 bonus damage per bullet means 700 dps

shotguns may add the bonus damage per pellet or per shell, though usually it would be per shell. However if added per pellet, you could have a 500 damage shotgun (50*10 pellets) suddenly dealing 1500 damage if the 100 bonus damage were added per pellet (100+50*10)