PDA

View Full Version : Character Analysis: Charlotte de la Cruz *Spoilers*

Mr.Black24
01-25-2016, 12:53 AM
So from what it seems back on reddit, tumblr, and here on the forums, not many people have been paying attention to the Titan comic lines. One thing for sure, it seems people are reading them though as its still going strong, which makes me wonder why no talks about this. Perhaps its just a burning and painful reminder of what the MD can be, and the fact it had to be pushed aside as a comic medium just gives off poor flavor?

I can sympathize with that, but one thing they do right, is introducing characters and background stories such as the likes of Daniel Cross and his family line. And here we are looking at a new face for the MD. Say hello to the new Assassin novice, Charlotte de la Cruz:

http://www.nerdlikeyou.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AC-1-pic-1.jpg

Whoops, wrong pic :rolleyes::

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/f/f3/ACA_Charlotte_Render.png/revision/latest?cb=20160124124641

Ahhhh better!

So who is she exactly? Welp, before meeting the Assassins, she is an over qualified yet under employed young woman who was an employee of Malta Banking Corporation from San Diego. she, like Shaun Hastings, loves to explore conspiracy theories and mysteries within the deep web. She is a headstrong, opinionated and witty woman who deplores the inequality of the world. Such as when her latest customer, didn't have enough cash to pay for her daughter's healthcare, Charlotte understood how that was to loose a family member because of the corruption of mega corporations, cheating money of her family, which could otherwise had prevented that loss in the first place.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/1/10/Charlottedelacruzuncle.png/revision/latest?cb=20151015233702

In response, she illegally transferred ten thousand dollars to her Ms. Morehead, so the latter could pay her daughter's healthcare. However, she quickly regretted this brash "Robin Hood" act of heroism, as she was returning home, however to her surprise, she was greeted by the Assassins Xavier Chen and Galina Voronina. Needing her help and knowing that de la Cruz is a descendant of Assassins, they offered her the choice to join them. Seeking an opportunity to make the world a better place, she immediately accepted..... and immediately ambushed by Templars seeking to kill them.

It was explained an Assassin named Joseph had apparently gone to the Templars to inform them of an artifact hidden by his ancestor during the Salem witch trials. They needed her to enter the Animus and relive her ancestor, the Colonial Master Assassin, Thomas Stoddard's memories of the era to determine if Joseph was telling the truth and had betrayed the Brotherhood, or if he was just baiting the Templars.

So she is an opposite of our last MD hero, Desmond Miles. She is idealistic, outgoing, and very stubborn. Unlike Desmond, who did not wish to accept his heritage, due to the circumstances in life, Charlotte on the other hand, fully embraced her new path in life, believing in this new calling and the chance to help the world. Although her idealism is a set back in some cases, as unlike Desmond and his ancestors, she had a hard time looking into Thomas' memories, hating her ancestor's cold demeanor and ruthlessness of doing anything to complete the mission. Such as when Thomas left innocent women to be hanged, believing that they are not important to the mission at hand, much to Charlotte's disgust. However, her stubbornness and idealism pushes her to become an Assassin, wanting to prove to the Assassins who doubt her ability, like Galina, wrong.

Right now the first story arc is soon going to be complete, as issue 5 is coming out on February 10th. So I feel like it would also do a disservice in trying to open her story since we aren't in that completion point yet. Even then, at least to me, her characterization is coming on to her own. Some might read the comics and be a bit displeased at how its a bit slow on that progression, but they are doing a 60/40 on showing the memories of Thomas and the current events of Charlotte. But seeing how these comics are always about 22 to 25 pages, its understandable that pacing and balance is something that should be accounted for.

I don't know about you guys, but I would kindly recommend at least reading a few pages of each one at least. Who knows, perhaps she can be part of the main game, I would love to play as her instead of Galina. Especially since it looks like there will be a Master/Novice relationship with them, it would be an awesome part of the MD storyline for future games, which Charlotte as the main character we can play as.

This is issue 7, where issue 6-10 is a new arc where the historical setting will take place in the Inca Empire period.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/a/a4/AC_Titan_Comics_7_Cover_B.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160122173242

I don't know about you guys, but I feel that there is a lot of potential for her here in the lore and I really hope to play as her as the new hero for the MD Assassins for future games. Have you guys read the four issues? What do you think of Charlotte as a possible MD playable character? Thoughts on Charlotte herself?

CrossedEagle
01-25-2016, 03:16 AM
I don't think she'll ever be playable in future games, but she is a good lead for the comics. She's different enough from Desmond and the rest of the modern day people to be interesting.

One little detail I find really interesting is that "de la Cruz" means "of the Cross". I wonder if that is supposed to mean something?

I-Like-Pie45
01-25-2016, 04:17 AM
I don't think she'll ever be playable in future games, but she is a good lead for the comics. She's different enough from Desmond and the rest of the modern day people to be interesting.

One little detail I find really interesting is that "de la Cruz" means "of the Cross". I wonder if that is supposed to mean something?

its there to set up the future cross-company crossover with http://www.crossedcomic.com/

nukelukespuke34
01-25-2016, 04:23 AM
I hope she'll be playable in MD. She seems a lot more interesting than Galina, who seems kinda.... off in Syndicate. But right now the comic covers are somewhat misleading because they all show her in the white Assassin hoodie, whereas in the actual story she isn't a full-fledged Assassin yet, and in fact hasn't even had any training, just some Animus sessions.

Interesting about the name. The first thing to come to mind would obviously be Daniel Cross, but if she is related to him in some way, I doubt Ubisoft would redo the Templar double agent plotline again.

Mr.Black24
01-25-2016, 04:34 AM
I hope she'll be playable in MD. She seems a lot more interesting than Galina, who seems kinda.... off in Syndicate. But right now the comic covers are somewhat misleading because they all show her in the white Assassin hoodie, whereas in the actual story she isn't a full-fledged Assassin yet, and in fact hasn't even had any training, just some Animus sessions. Well in issue 5, she is going into the Abstergo facility to rescue Xavier and Galina, as apparently like Desmond, she absorbed the skills of her ancestor Thomas.

Interesting about the name. The first thing to come to mind would obviously be Daniel Cross, but if she is related to him in some way, I doubt Ubisoft would redo the Templar double agent plotline again. Maybe she has a Templar in her family line, but even then I doubt that she's a double agent. I feel like its just a neat trivia point and not actual foreshadowing.

AdrianJacek
01-25-2016, 06:13 AM
TBH I don't know how to feel about Charlotte. There's something about her personality that rubbs me the wrong way.
Now Tom, Tom I like. His ruthlessness is really interesting to see and I hope he gets some character development in the last 2 issues of his arc (haven't read Issue #4 just yet).

A bit off-topic, but I think I prefer the more cartoony artstyle of the Kerschl/Stewart graphic novels. These new artists are not bad per-se, however sometimes this artstyle can lead to some unnecesary "dull surprise" faces.

Also Conor McCreary (a Titan writer) stated on Twitter that the Ubi writers revealed some of the things that are to come in the AC storyline in future games, so the comics are meant to fit in seamlessly.

EDIT: Here's the Tweet.
https://twitter.com/ConorMcCreery/status/675019470474190849

VestigialLlama4
01-25-2016, 06:49 AM
So from what it seems back on reddit, tumblr, and here on the forums, not many people have been paying attention to the Titan comic lines. One thing for sure, it seems people are reading them though as its still going strong, which makes me wonder why no talks about this. Perhaps its just a burning and painful reminder of what the MD can be, and the fact it had to be pushed aside as a comic medium just gives off poor flavor?

Far more people have been paying attention to the Titan AC comics series than they have to the superior comic of BRAHMAN, which has genuinely good art and storytelling. I could say that the reason why Titan comics have gotten more attention, despite being vastly inferior in art, story and characterization is that Brahman features non-white characters and is moreover set entirely in India...I could say that and it would probably be true but that creates an entirely separate discussion.

Anyway, I wouldn't dream of speaking for most people but my reasons are simply that the comics are terribly. Poorly drawn and poorly written. And considering how Ubisoft has officially given up on a consistent and cohesive lore there is absolutely no reason for any AC fan to read these comics, since the games will inevitably contradict and change things on the fly, as they have done since the beginning. I honestly don't know who the hell Ubisoft is fooling with this Transmedia BS.

The idea is telling a story that satisfies across mediums. But it never really worked. I mean Daniel Cross was hyped up in two depressing comic storylines with that wretched Russian stereotype of Nikolai Orelov, and then he becomes a pantomime villain in AC3 and gets killed without even the courtesy of a boss fight. Bowden's FORSAKEN novel made sense as a Haytham origin but it got ruined the minute they announced Black Flag and told us that Haytham's otherwise unimportant Dad in the book (who is also dark haired) is now a Protagonist and he got killed without even the courtesy of a boss fight. INITIATES was successful in evoking the MD Assassins and them rebuilding but then unity comes and now we have Bishop, who was not mentioned before ordering everyone about, and a pointless mystery is added to the pile. The background lore like LETTERS FROM ESEOSA cannot be enjoyed without coming to the conclusion that Arno Dorian and the French Assassins are evil slavedrivers and turncoats. BRAHMAN introduced a bunch of cool stuff and CHRONICLES INDIA simply flattens it into The Hero saves The Princess and protects The McGuffin and none of the cool mysteries are addressed.

The transmedia does not reward immersion and engagement to the AC fan. The only way the series makes sense is to play the games and nothing else. Even then there's nonsense and inconsistencies and annoyances, but far less so than the background lore.

SixKeys
01-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Her name is seriously De la Cruz? It was kind of cute when they did it with Daniel Cross, but can we not start naming everyone after obvious symbols?

VestigialLlama4
01-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Her name is seriously De la Cruz? It was kind of cute when they did it with Daniel Cross, but can we not start naming everyone after obvious symbols?

Would you rather they look up the etymological syllabary for a bird name instead?

Anyway, she's Assassin rather than Templar sleeper agent. I think "de la Cruz" is more of a Hispanic name than a symbolic name.

SixKeys
01-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Would you rather they look up the etymological syllabary for a bird name instead?

Anyway, she's Assassin rather than Templar sleeper agent. I think "de la Cruz" is more of a Hispanic name than a symbolic name.

I never said the bird/animal names weren't bad enough.

Whether she's an assassin or a Templar, I think the symbolism in the name is quite obvious since this is the AC universe we're talking about. If she turns out to have some sort of Templar connection down the line, I will be wholly unsurprised. (Remember, Cross started off as an assassin too, we didn't know right away that he was a sleeper agent.)

Sorrosyss
01-25-2016, 02:08 PM
I've been reading the comics (because MD ofc), and I'll share my full thoughts once the 5th issue concludes this arc. However, I can say that I'm really not that enthused with it.

As for Charlotte, she seems to have her heart in the right place, and I'm sure she will end up a capable Assassin, but I find Galina a far more interesting character. After Desmond, I don't really have an interest in playing a novice character who has to learn (again) about the whole invisible war, and slowly become more competent.

For me Galina has a pretty brutal and interesting back story, and the fact she is strongly suffering from the Bleeding Effect would be far more interesting to see playout as an MD character. Dealing with hallucinations etc could make for some interesting playable sections. Galina is a fully capable Assassin already as well, which is more suited. I love her no-nonsense attitude in the comics too. It may be a bit of a stereotype for edgy Russian female spies, but I still love her portrayal.

Mr.Black24
01-26-2016, 12:26 AM
As for Charlotte, she seems to have her heart in the right place, and I'm sure she will end up a capable Assassin, but I find Galina a far more interesting character. After Desmond, I don't really have an interest in playing a novice character who has to learn (again) about the whole invisible war, and slowly become more competent. The point was slightly missed here. The comics pretty much is Charlotte's origin story, as it takes place in April, while the events of Syndicate place Galina, Shaun, and Rebecca in October. By that point, Charlotte would be a full fledged Assassin. So she wouldn't relearn about the whole war and becoming an Assassin, as that is what the comics are doing. For me, I like the idea of evolving from a regular Assassin, to a Master Assassin. Kind of like how the twins did in Syndicate, excepted I want more in depth to it, as it was just evolution via skill tree mostly, and I would like Charlotte to evolve not only in skill, but the philosophy and outlook on things like how Altair, Ezio, and Connor did. I mean the twins did, but it wasn't elaborate as the other three.

For me Galina has a pretty brutal and interesting back story, and the fact she is strongly suffering from the Bleeding Effect would be far more interesting to see playout as an MD character. Dealing with hallucinations etc could make for some interesting playable sections. Galina is a fully capable Assassin already as well, which is more suited. I love her no-nonsense attitude in the comics too. It may be a bit of a stereotype for edgy Russian female spies, but I still love her portrayal. I can understand that. The Bleeding Effect hallucinations though can be something that Charlotte will deal with too, seeing that anyone that reviews these memories are prone to it, like Desmond and Daniel.

Plus, for me, those very reasons you mention makes it more interesting to have her as a mentor roll. It feels like something they tried to do with Arno and Bellec, but so much better. Galina is more cynical, and Charlotte is idealistic, but they have great respect for one another, and it'd be interesting to see that evolve. Thats my two cents at least.