PDA

View Full Version : Serious question for the devs, can we even block with with our weapons?

ChiConspiracy
01-20-2016, 06:57 PM
In a game focused on spear and club combat, I have seen no indication that you can even DEFEND yourself with the solid looking weapon in your hand.

How on earth could this be an oversight? Was this game made by people who never fought duels with sticks or toy swords as children?

Apparently Takar prefers to block potentially lethal strikes with his face rather than moving his spear or club a few inches instead. :(

LaMOi
01-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Check my thread talking about Melee combat too simplistic!

It's such an obvious question and going concern that not once have Ubisoft addressed...... It's seriously worrying.

We have potentially a 20hr game that has no guns (which is fine with me), but nonetheless a game based off a 1st person shooter, that instead of the shooting we have the most simplistic melee system ever seen.... I mean yes, do it, get rid of the guns no problem, but what the hell have you filled the void with??? Where's all the new game mechanics?

So far, all we've seen is there's a basic attack with each weapon...... Sorry, two weapons.... Club and spear....

I honestly don't know what exactly Ubisoft think they're looking at when they look at this game that is due for release in less than a month.....

There's nothing to it....

HorTyS
01-21-2016, 03:59 AM
It seems very strange to me that they give you the ability to throw your clubs at enemies but not the ability to block their attacks with them....

Fallen-Champ
01-26-2016, 03:22 PM
You would think blocking would be a big part of defence with such limited weapons, one other thing I never understood is why they never allowed the character to go prone, in the Far Cry Instincts games you could go prone and crawl along the floor, this worked very well so I can't understand why it was never in their plans.

LaMOi
01-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Having watched a live stream I managed to see from the pause menu - the melee combat....

The melee system works like this,

1) Clubs are meant for wide area attacks, can hit multiple enemies whilst swinging and it seems you can hold the button down for heavy attacks. It says you can 'stun' enemies for huge damage? Presuming stunned enemies you can get a 'takedown' kill?
2) Spears can only attack what's directly in front of you, but are more powerful, and throwing them does even more damage.

This now seems to confirm that (bizarrely) there is no BLOCK, PARRY/COUNTER or DODGE.

There you have it, the melee combat system in its entirety.

Rickvs64
01-27-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm sure there's a GIF somewhere of cavemen mindlessly clubbing one another, but I'm having no luck finding it I'm afraid.

But erm... yes. I know this game is trying to be as prehistorically accurate as possible but a bunch of "Ooga booga!" men clubbing each other to see who can hit the hardest doesn't make for interesting gameplay.

RaulO4
01-30-2016, 07:53 AM
no blocking?

well....that blows. am down for a primal all the way but you are not going to give us a deep comabt? or at least the basic?

LaMOi
01-30-2016, 11:37 PM
It's plain arrogant that there's seems to be an assumption on Ubisofts part that gamers won't notice things like this....

Not even a block, one attack for all melee weapons... The spear - I mean the same single 'stab' animation.... Over a 30hour game...

tristangillies
01-31-2016, 02:56 AM
For the sake of realism not blocking with a weapon like a club or spear is realistic, this is why until full plate armour everyone used a shield. However for gaming mechanic sake I do feel there should be a blocking mechanic even if it is an unlock. Plus I think there should be shields as Mesolithic people likely made shields, those tortoise shells look like a pretty good craft item.

Having been trained in mine line of work to use a collapsible baton I can say blocking with it is more a hazard than help, but you can it is just a gamble on your hand, arm and head really we are taught footwork which in FPS players are good with already. That being said as a pastime I have done historical re-enactment and its all about "the shields" they are just life and limb savers and have been around since the stone age.

So while I believe "blocking" is neither particularly realistic nor required for the game I feel for gaming wise you should be able to deflect with your club (not spear) or later make small hide, bone or shell shields.

ChiConspiracy
02-07-2016, 05:05 AM
For the sake of realism not blocking with a weapon like a club or spear is realistic, this is why until full plate armour everyone used a shield. However for gaming mechanic sake I do feel there should be a blocking mechanic even if it is an unlock. Plus I think there should be shields as Mesolithic people likely made shields, those tortoise shells look like a pretty good craft item.

Having been trained in mine line of work to use a collapsible baton I can say blocking with it is more a hazard than help, but you can it is just a gamble on your hand, arm and head really we are taught footwork which in FPS players are good with already. That being said as a pastime I have done historical re-enactment and its all about "the shields" they are just life and limb savers and have been around since the stone age.

So while I believe "blocking" is neither particularly realistic nor required for the game I feel for gaming wise you should be able to deflect with your club (not spear) or later make small hide, bone or shell shields.

I was trained to use a collapsible baton too, and actually used one for my job... We were taught to strike at an enemies weapon or weapon arm to parry it, not take their attacks on our face.

Claiming this applies to spears is insanely ignorant. Every written text on the historical use of spears in combat, no matter what culture you find it in, involves PARRYING, blocking, and binding enemy weapons with them, not just mindlessly stabbing.

You "believe" blocking isn't realistic. Our ancestors who actually had to use spears in combat knew better.

Ureh
02-07-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure how humans fought with their primitive weapons in 10k BCE. Did they invent the first techniques that would later be used by fencers and swordsmen? What kind of game are they trying to present to us? A game that revolves around the primitive nature of early humans or a game with established modern fighting techniques? The clubs they're wielding seem to weigh a good 7 kg. If someone tries to stab Takkar with a dagger, then that would require an animation where we can believe that it was possible to fend them off. Have you guys seen how fast a person is with a dagger is? Extremely difficult to parry or dodge someone when their goal is to get as close to you and your only means of defense is your arms and a blunt object that weighs ~7 kg.

There are plenty of 1st person games out there - like Elder Scrolls - that have been trying to perfect the 1st person combat experience for years and it's still a work in progress. Ubisoft is effectively trying to building a similar system from the ground up. Dodging, parrying, blocking, riposts, sweeps, etc.... requires several animations for each, and several more for various situations and weapons. In this case, the fantasy we're supposed to immerse ourselves in is that we're effectively a caveman that charges into the fray without a second thought and beat our enemy into a pulp before they do; any injuries we sustain are magically healed by archaic, nonsense medicine, foods, and other methods that we're all familiar with in the Far Cry series.