PDA

View Full Version : Campaign packs questions

qtv
03-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi,

What do the RAF and POacific campaigns add?

Ie, do you fly the existing/patched british and american/Japanese planes on a dynamic campaign (ie so you only fight US vs Japanese) over the correct scenery eg pacific scenery or english channel, with the correct voices and squadron insignias?

Basically, will I fly a p-51 against a KI-84 over pacific Island, or will it be p51, ki 84 and FW109s over Europe? I assume the land vehicles will be the same, and is it limiting that there are no Japanese bombers etc? How do you fight against only a few types of Japanese fighters?

Are the campaigns the standard dynamic ones or are they a series of pre-made missions strung together in a storyline?

qtv
03-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi,

What do the RAF and POacific campaigns add?

Ie, do you fly the existing/patched british and american/Japanese planes on a dynamic campaign (ie so you only fight US vs Japanese) over the correct scenery eg pacific scenery or english channel, with the correct voices and squadron insignias?

Basically, will I fly a p-51 against a KI-84 over pacific Island, or will it be p51, ki 84 and FW109s over Europe? I assume the land vehicles will be the same, and is it limiting that there are no Japanese bombers etc? How do you fight against only a few types of Japanese fighters?

Are the campaigns the standard dynamic ones or are they a series of pre-made missions strung together in a storyline?

qtv
03-03-2004, 09:01 PM
No one?

qtv
03-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Is this an evil question?

Extreme one?

Skycat_2
03-10-2004, 11:53 PM
I don't have the 'Pacific' pack you mention but I have played Extreme One's 'Real Deal Gold' P-47 campaign and RAF 'Battle Near Britain' campaign. I can partially answer your questions:

Neither of those two campaigns I played were 'dynamic' like what comes with FB; instead they were scripted missions strung together in a sequential order where you have to complete a mission to advance to the next one. Not that this is bad -- you just don't get the squadron stats of individual mates like with DGen campaigns.

FB doesn't come with the folders or awards for a US campaign, dynamic or otherwise; "Real Deal" includes these for its scripted campaign and also USAAF music and loading screens as a bonus. If you don't have the "Battle Over Europe" addon, "Real Deal" is an essential base for any US campaign pack you may find for download.

The RAF campaign is also comprised of scripted missions, but this pack also includes an authentic language pack and a background radio chatter file. It also has several excellent Hurricane skins to give your plane and your wingmates the proper historic markings and code letters. It may also come with RAF medals and ranks, I can't recall for sure.

As I said before, I haven't seen the Pacific campaign. I'd expect it consists of scripted missions also, probably written for the Pacific online DF map or perhaps the Finland map. Since the campaign downloads can't include new planes or vehicles, they have to use the existing catalogue in creative ways, usually substituting similar looking bombers and fighters (with appropriately marked custom skins) to fill in the gaps.