PDA

View Full Version : REALLY dumb question.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 07:39 AM
OK. First, this is a really dumb question so if you are just going to yell at me plese leave. (Unless you get a kick out of that soret of thing. In which case, I can ignore a ******* just fine.)

Second, understand that the only reason I ask this question is I got GR as a bundle and didn't get any documentation with it whatsoever. (In lieu of answering the specific question, if you could point me in the direction of some docs I'd be forever in your debt and out of your hair.)

So, my question is this...

I'm on my first mission and I can't get more then 100ft or so before I get half my team mown down.

I know that little circle at the bottom is some sort of compass/HUD/RADAR but I have no idea how to read it.

How do I find the bad guys so I can live longer than 2 min.?

Thanks,
padillah

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 07:39 AM
OK. First, this is a really dumb question so if you are just going to yell at me plese leave. (Unless you get a kick out of that soret of thing. In which case, I can ignore a ******* just fine.)

Second, understand that the only reason I ask this question is I got GR as a bundle and didn't get any documentation with it whatsoever. (In lieu of answering the specific question, if you could point me in the direction of some docs I'd be forever in your debt and out of your hair.)

So, my question is this...

I'm on my first mission and I can't get more then 100ft or so before I get half my team mown down.

I know that little circle at the bottom is some sort of compass/HUD/RADAR but I have no idea how to read it.

How do I find the bad guys so I can live longer than 2 min.?

Thanks,
padillah

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 09:02 AM
To HankP,

Welcome to the game and forums and enjoy your read.

Main Menu

When you first start Ghost Recon, you are presented with the Main Menu, which gives you the following 8 options:

. Training - This button takes you to the training Menu, which allows you to practice the skills you'll need to play Ghost Recon.

. Campaign - This button takes you to the single-player game and starts a campaign.

. Quick Mission - This button takes you to the Quick Mission Menu, which allows you to play a single mission on any difficulty level without starting a new campaign. You must unlock the missions in a campaign first, but once unlocked they are available thereafter.

. Multiplayer - This button takes you to the Multiplayer Menu.

. Replays - This button takes you to the Replays Menu, which allows you to view saved video replays of games.

. Options - This button takes you to the Options menu, where you can set game play, input, multiplayer, graphics and sound options.

. Credits - This button shows you the credits of everyone who worked on the game.

. Quit - This button allows you to quit the game.

New Campaign

To start a new campaign, click on the New Campaign button. This takes you to the New Campaign Screen.

At the upper left, you will see a text box. Type in the name of your new campaign here. It's a good idea to make it distinctive, to avoid any later confusion between saved campaigns.

Below the text box are your difficulty ratings: Recruit, Veteran, and Elite. Select one of these to set the difficulty for your campaign. Recruit offers unlimited ammunition for some weapons, as well as less skilled opponents. Veteran is standard game play, and Elite sets you up to face extremely skilled, lethal hostiles. Note that you cannot change difficulty levels within a campaign. If you begin a campaign at Recruit, you will have to start a new one if you decide that you're ready to tackle Veteran missions.

At the bottom left of the screen is a button labelled Cancel. This deletes your choices and takes you back to the previous (Campaign) screen.

At the lower right is a button marked Start. Clicking on this begins your campaign.

Deleting a Campaign

To delete a campaign, select it by clicking on it with your mouse, then click the Delete Campaign button. A dialog box asking if you wish to continue will appear. If you decide that you'd rather save the campaign after all, click No. If you do in fact want to delete the campaign, click on Yes. This will delete the campaign from your saved campaign list, and remove it from the list at the upper left of the screen. If you delete a campaign, any individual games you've saved as part of that campaign are deleted as well.

Resuming a Campaign

If you have saved campaigns, the Resume Campaign button will be available to select. (If not, it will be greyed out.) A list of your saved campaigns will appear in the box above the buttons. To resume one, select the campaign you'd like to play, then click on Resume Campaign. This will take you to the Campaign Mission Screen.

Input

Input Options control how your input reaches the game. In practical terms, that's your key configuration and how your mouse interprets the Y axis (up and down). The centre of the Input screen is a window listing all of your key inputs and their current assignments (which key you hit to get that effect). There are two tabs at the top of this window, labelled Action and Command Map. These are click able, and selecting them brings up the list of assigned keys for, respectively, the Action Phase and the Command Map.

To change a key assignment, select the function you want to remap. You can do this by clicking the function with your mouse. Then, click on the Map key button. This will bring up a window that tells you which key the function is currently mapped to, and which tells you to hit a key to re-assign that function. If you want to re-map the function, hit the key you want to use for that function. That key will now be attached to that function, and the window closes. If you decide you like the key assignment the way it is after all, you can click on the Cancel button instead. This will close the window without changing any key assignments.

Already Taken

If you remap a function to a key that's already assigned, the new assignment will override the old one. As soon as you remap the key, the function that key was previously attached to will be unattached, and will have a blank space next to it in the list. You'll want to re-map a key for that function as well, if you intend to use it in the game.

Saving a Key Configuration

If you come up with a Key Config that you like, you'll probably want to save it. To do so, click on the Save keys button at the lower right of the screen. This brings up the Saved Config and enter a name for that configuration so you'll be able to identify it later. If you decide you don't want to save the key config, just hit Cancel. Otherwise, type in the name and hit Accept. If you've modified a key config that's already in place, you have a choice of clicking on New Key Config and saving it under a new name, or clicking on Save Key Config, which will overwrite the current one. If you decide to overwrite the current one, you'll get a window asking you if you really want to do this. As always, you can click No and avoid overwriting your key config. If you click Yes, then your changes will be saved. You can also delete a key configuration if you'd like by selecting it and then clicking the Delete Key Config button. Again, you'll be asked if you really want to do this. If so, click Yes. If not, click No.

Loading a Key Configuration

Clicking on this takes you to a similar window as Save Key Config. You'll have the option of loading a key config, deleting one, or cancelling the operation, and a list of saved key configurations to choose from. You can also Cancel out of this screen.

Mouse look Reverse Y

Clicking on this box changes the orientation of your mouse look. If you turn on this option, moving the mouse forward now moves your viewpoint down, and moving it backward sends your viewpoint up. Clicking this off restores the normal mouse look.

Chat Messages

Chat messages are pre-scripted messages that you send out either to your team or to everyone in the game during a multiplayer game.

To set a message, click on a slot in the Chat Messages window and then click on the Edit Chat Message Button. This will bring up a window where you can type in or edit your chat message. Clicking on Accept saves the message and any changes you've made to it, and takes you back to the Multiplayer Options Screen. Clicking on Cancel aborts any changes and also closes the window.

Once you've entered the text of a message, it will display in the Chat Messages window. To the right of the window is a checkbox for Team Chat. Clicking on this means that the message only goes out to your team when you send it. Otherwise, everyone in the game sees it. (In other words, it's a good idea to make sure that only your team-mates see "Go left while I draw the fire from that bunker," and a better one to make sure that someone besides your team-mates sees "I own you.")

Each chat message in multiplayer is assigned a key (1 through 9 on the Numpad is the default setting). To send your message out, simply press that key. You can send the same message as many times as you like, though it's considered impolite to flood other players with chatter while they're trying to shoot you.

To edit the text of the message, select a message and then click on the Edit Chat Message button. This will bring up the text of the message, which you can change. Click on Accept to keep the changed text, or Cancel to go back to the old version.

Medals and Badges

Bottom Row:
. Combat Infantry Badge (CIB) - This is given after a soldier has participated in one combat mission. It is given posthumously if the soldier is killed in the line of duty.

. Campaign Ribbon 1 - This is awarded if a soldier has participated in any of the missions that make up the first part of the campaign.

. Campaign Ribbon 2 - This is awarded if a soldier has participated in any of the missions that make up the second part of the campaign.

. Campaign Ribbon 3 - This is awarded if a soldier has participated in any of the missions that make up the final part of the campaign.

Top Row:
. Purple Heart dead or wounded - This is awarded if the soldier was wounded on a mission.

. Bronze Star 15 kills - This, and all other medals, are awarded for killing large numbers of enemy soldiers and repeated exposure to enemy fire.

. Silver Star 20 kills

. Distinguished Service Cross 25 kills

. Congressional Medal of Honour 30 kills -Decorations which have not been earned

Statistics

Each soldier has a set of statistics which include his ratings for the following attributes:

. Weapon - His accuracy with his weapons; reflected in how quickly the reticle pips converge when he is the active character.

. Stealth - His skill at moving quietly, reflected in how close he can get to an enemy before being detected.

. Endurance - His ability to take physical damage, reflected in the number of wounds he can take. Having a soldier with low Endurance carry too much weight may slow him in combat.

. Leadership - His ability to make all of the soldiers around him better, reflected by a one-dot increase in all skills for all soldiers in his squad for every three dots he has of Leadership. Note that a squad gets the benefit of a single leader (the soldier with the highest Leadership rating). The effect is not cumulative, even if you have multiple soldiers in a squad with Leadership ratings of 8. Each skill is rated one to eight. Characters are assigned a single Combat Point after each mission successfully completed, and statistics increases can be bought at a one dot per one Combat Point rate. Clicking on
the Plus button next to a skill assigns a Combat Point to that skill.

Una signing Combat Points
If you decide you don't like the way you've doled out your soldiers' Combat Points, simply click the Back button at the lower right of the screen. This will take you back one screen, and when you re-access team Set-up, the changes will have vanished. If you proceed from team Set-up, any Combat Point assignments you make become permanent

Switching Weapon

You can switch between your primary and secondary weapons by pressing the swap weapons key (defaults to ~). Hitting this key swaps out your current weapon for the other one you carry - Primary to Secondary, or Secondary to Primary.

Changing Magazines

Reloading is simply a matter of hitting the Change Magazine key (which defaults to the Z key). Doing so swaps out the current clip and inserts a new one, regardless of whether or not the clip is empty. A clip is only discarded if it is completely empty. Previously can be re-inserted and used until it is emptied.

Reloading is not instantaneous. Your reticle will change to show the progress of your reloading procedure. When it finishes, the reticle reverts to normal. You cannot fire while reloading, but can start immediately once the reloading process finishes.

Sensor

Sensors function like an extra soldier in terms of detection. When a hostile or a vehicle passes within detection range of a sensor, they appear on the command map. Sensors are placed on the field in the same way that demolitions charges are. Just be warned that if the enemy is lying prone then they do not show up on the command map. Also be aware that if you don't conceal the sensor it can be shot and rendered useless. The sensor can also work through solid objects and has a 40 meter radius of detection.

AN/GSQ-187 Sensor

The AN/GSQ-187 sensor is a placed remote sensor that can pick up enemy movements based upon several types of input. The sensor can detect changes in seismic, acoustic, thermal, and magnetic energy in the area. It can then process this information and relay to a computer the location, speed, and direction of travel of any units passing through the area. It is even capable of determining the difference between tracked and wheeled vehicles through seismic data.

Claymores

Claymores are dropped on the field like demolitions charges. At this point, the weapons indicator changes the claymore icon to that of a detonator. Pressing the Use Item key again sets the claymore off. Be aware that there is also a small area of lethality directly behind the claymore as it is detonating.

M18 Claymore

The M18 Claymore anti-personnel mine consists of a curved rectangular plastic shell with a layer of 3/4 of a pound of composition C3 explosive. It has a fragmentation face of rectangular steel fragments designed to blow out in a fan-shaped pattern. Because of the explosive charge, there is a small area of lethality directly behind the mine, as well as the area of devastation in front of the blast. current U.S. Army-issue hand grenade. It is lethal to 5 meters, and is capable of causing casualties out to 15 meters. It consists of an explosive charge, which is contained in a steel shell. The shell shatters into fragments when the grenade explodes. The timer in the grenade will cause it to explode between 3 and 5 seconds after the spoon is released from the body of the device.

Interface Elements

There are several additional elements to the on-screen interface besides a view of the 3-D world. These other elements give you additional information that is crucial to playing Ghost Recon, including details of your weapon, your currently selected soldier, and whether or not any hostile troops are in the vicinity.

Soldier Panel

This appears at the lower left corner of the screen. It tells you which soldier you have currently selected. At the far left of the Panel is a series of three dots arranged vertically. This is your stance indicator, and shows you which stance (standing, crouched, prone) the soldier is currently in. Immediately to its right is an icon representing the current soldier, which also shows current stance. At the far right are three lines of text. The top line shows the soldier's current health state - Healthy, Wounded or Dead. When a character is Wounded, the line turns yellow. When the character has been killed, it turns red. Below the current health state is the name of the soldier's fire team, and below that, his or her last name. You can toggle the Soldier Indicator on or off by pressing the Toggle Soldier Panel key, which defaults to F11. Toggling it off removes it from the screen. Toggling it back on returns it to view.

Threat Indicator

The Threat Indicator appears at the centre of the bottom of the screen. It serves multiple functions, allowing you to orient the current soldier without opening the Command Map and also displaying the presence of any hostiles in the area.

At the centre of the screen is your reticle. The reticle is your means of targeting where you are shooting. There are different reticles for each of the following weapons: in the vicinity.

The coloured pip inside the largest ring of Threat Indicator indicates North. This also stays absolute no matter which direction the soldier is facing.

The outermost ring of the Threat Indicator displays according to the selected character's current facing. It is broken up into quadrants, and serves as your Fire Indicator. The regions that are illuminated tell you from which direction you are hearing fire. Active segments of the Fire Indicator are red. Inactive ones are black.

The bottom line on the Weapons Panel shows The middle ring of the Threat Indicator shows the general direction of other units beyond 40 meters on the map. Like the Fire Indicator, this is broken up into quadrants which are displayed relative to the character's current facing. Active quadrants display yellow, while inactive ones are black. Note that this ring only shows the presence of enemies, and will not detect friendly soldiers.

The pips around the reticle represent the range of accuracy you have at any given moment. The longer you focus on a particular target, the closer to the centre of the reticle shows whether the weapon is on single shot, three shot burst, or full auto mode. Hitting the F key toggles your current rate of fire. The centre of the Threat Indicator lets you know when there's a hostile within 40 meters of your current position. When active, it shows red. When it is inactive, it is transparent, and shows the terrain behind it.

Weapon Panel

At the lower right of the Action Screen is the Weapon Panel. This lets you know which weapons the current character carries, which is active, and how much ammunition is loaded/left. There are two lines to the Weapon Panel. The top line is the soldier's primary weapon, while the second line is the secondary weapon (or other kit item, such as binoculars or explosive charges). Two numbers appear to the left of the image of the weapon. The first is the number of rounds left in the current clip, while the second indicates the number of clips remaining for that weapon. In some cases, the second number is replaced by a dash. This means that # of clips is not applicable. You can toggle the Weapon Panel off and on by pressing the Toggle Weapon Panel key, which defaults to F12. Toggling it off removes it from the screen. Toggling it on returns it.

No Clip Number?

There are two reasons for there to be no clip number attached to a particular weapon. Some weapons, such as fragmentation grenades, are simply counted as individual units and are not rated by clips. Also when you play on Rookie level, certain weapons have an unlimited number of clips available. Hence, there is no clip # shown. The bottom line on the Weapons Panel shows which weapon is currently selected. To the right is the Rate of Fire indicator, which shows whether the weapon is on single shot, three shot burst, or full auto mode. Hitting the F key toggles your current rate of fire. If you are down to 30% of full ammunition capacity on you current clip, the selected weapon changes to appear bright yellow. When the clip is emptied, it changes colour to red.

Reticle
At the centre of the screen is your reticle. The reticle is your means of targeting where you are shooting.

There are different reticles for each of the following weapons:

. Sniper weapons
. Assault rifles
. Light machine guns
. Carbines
. Pistols
. Grenades
. Grenade launchers
. Anti-tank rockets
. Binoculars

The reticle consists of two parts: the static component and the pips. The static component is always cantered on your
screen and represents the centre of your current aim. Any firing you do will hit somewhere within the area marked off by the reticle pips.

The pips around the reticle represent the range of accuracy you have at any given moment. The longer you focus on a particular target, the closer to the centre of the reticle
the pips move and the more accurate your fire is. Any firing you do will hit somewhere within the area market off by the reticle pips. Each time you move, the pips go back out to the edge of their range and your accuracy decreases accordingly.

If your reticle sweeps over a friendly soldier, the soldier's name will appear onscreen for as long as he is targeted. Hostiles' names do not appear when the reticle
passes over them.

The Command Map

The Command Map allows you to see where your platoon is located on the field of battle, and to start them moving by
inserting waypoints.

At the left of the Command Map are two tabs, one for the Command Map itself and the other for the Soldier Cards. Clicking on a tab allows you to switch between the two.
Next to them are three tabs for your fire teams. They are labelled by name, and allow you to select a team and set its Rules of Engagement (RoE).

Combat RoE

Rules of Engagement

There are two types of Rules of Engagement: Movement and Combat.

There are three settings for each set of RoEs.

For Movement, they are:

. Hold - Halts your fire team in position. Hold is signified by a red X.

. Advance - Moves your fire team toward their next waypoint. Advance is signified by a yellow arrow. If a fire team set to
Advance is fired upon, they will drop down to Hold until you manually adjust their RoE.

. Advance at All Costs - Moves your fire team forward regardless of opposition. Advance at All Costs is signified by a green double arrow.

For Combat, the RoEs are:

. Assault - Tells your fire teams to shoot on sight. This is the default setting, and is signified by the silhouette of a pistol.

. Suppress - Tells you fire team to shoot on the suspicion that hostiles are nearby. They'll lay down a great deal of fire, but not very accurately. Suppress is signified by the silhouette of a pistol above a plus sign.

. Recon - Instructs your fire team to take pains to avoid shooting, but they will fire back if fired upon. Recon is signified by the silhouette of a pistol above a minus sign.

Default Key Board Keys

Select Squad Alpha 1
Select Squad Bravo 2
Select Squad Charlie 3
All squads hold 4
All squads advance 5
All squads advance at all cost 6
All squads recon 7
All squads engage 8
All squads suppress 9

RoE, Cover and Formations

Regardless of your RoE, your soldiers will always seek available cover when you stop moving.

The formation you move in under Recon will change, depending on whether you have two or three soldiers in your fire team. With three soldiers, you'll move in a V-formation, with one soldier always taking point. With two, your soldiers will constantly switch off as lead.

At the top of the Command Map are a series of tabs listing the fire teams by name. Clicking on one of these tabs selects that fire team and makes it current, allowing you to set waypoints for it or change its RoE.

The centre of the Command Map is the map itself. This shows you the layout of the mission space. On the map you'll see landmarks (which often are tied into mission objectives) and other indicators. These include:

. Your Troops - Appear as white circles with the letter of their fire team inside. The soldier you are currently controlling appears as a green circle with the fire team's designation inside.

. Soldiers - Appear as small diamonds. Friendly soldiers appear green, while unfriendly ones appear red.

. Vehicles - Each vehicle type (including tanks, APCs, SAMs and Humvees) has its own icon.

Non-permanent items, such as enemy soldiers, only appear on the Command Map if one of your soldiers has line of sight on them. Items that have been destroyed, such as burned-out vehicles or dead soldiers, appear on the map with a darker colour than normal. These do not vanish even if your troops no longer have line of sight.

Moving the mouse over the icon representing one of your soldiers brings up that soldier's name, so you can identify the disposition of each member of your fire teams. Also, moving the mouse over an objective or other significant map element, such as the insertion zone, brings up identifying text.

At the bottom left of the Command Map screen is a magnifying glass icon. This allows you to zoom in on a section of the map. Clicking on it again restores the normal perspective.

Waypoint

Waypoints are spots on the map that your fire teams will move to once you start them in motion. Setting waypoints also allows you to check your fire teams' progress when you look at the Command Map. The line between your fire team and its waypoints show up on the map as a white line that lets you see exactly where your troops are going before they get there.

You set waypoints by selecting a fire team and then left-clicking the spot on the map where you want the team to go. You can set multiple waypoints in sequence, allowing the fire team to move along a preset path. As soon as a waypoint is set, the team will start moving unless its RoEs are set to Hold. When the waypoint is set, a line appears on the Command Map between the leader of the fire team and the waypoint, along which the soldier will move.

If you set a waypoint with an invalid path -such as one that requires the fire team to climb a cliff, or walk through a wall, the path will flash red. This indicates that the path you've set won't work, but the fire team will do its best to get there in any case. The game may then attempt to recalculate a path for your fire team to follow, though it may not be able to do so under certain specialized circumstances. While the game is recalculating your path, the path itself appears as a flashing line. The recalculated path appears as a normal path.

If you click on an invalid destination (such as a cliff face) for a waypoint, the cursor will flash red and you'll receive an audio warning letting you know that no waypoint has been set.

To delete a waypoint, right-click. This deletes the most recent waypoint. If you delete all current waypoints, the fire team will stop in its current position.

Firing Arcs

Firing arcs are scans your soldiers do of an area when they reach a waypoint. They serve to let your fire teams check for trouble and hopefully take it down before plunging into a situation. To set a firing arc, hold down the mouse button when you set a waypoint. After a few seconds, a yellow arc will appear on the Command Map. This is your firing arc. You can direct it by using the mouse, thus establishing the arc your soldiers will cover before moving on to their next waypoint.

Soldier and weapon selection

Clicking on the Soldier tab allows you to select what sort of soldier you're going to play and what you're going to be known as in the game.

At the very top of this section of the screen is a window showing the current soldier type. You can scroll back and forth between the four options - Rifleman, Demolitions, Sniper, Support - by clicking on the left and right arrows.

Underneath the soldier class designator is a window that shows you what your soldier looks like. This varies by team - if you change your team in the Roster section of the screen, then your soldier will change appearance.

The next item down is the kit selection area. Here is where you select the kit for your soldier. The name of the kit appears in a text window, while the kit's contents appear below it. There are a limited number of kits including specialist kits) available, which you can scroll through by clicking the right and left arrows.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 09:09 AM
To HankP

Fire and Movement

When you first hit the insertion zone go prone and scan the area through 360 degrees. Then spread your squads out far enough so not to have one grenade take out your entire squad. Check your command map and plan you way points and have a secondary path planned just in cause the first is under heavy protection. Start of with your first squad and move out scanning the area and every 10-20 meters scan your fire arcs through 360 degrees.

At the same time of scanning look for your next piece of cover your going to move to and remain moving in the squatted position. Bring the next squad up and passed the first squad and do the same technique of scanning and moving to cover. This is know as leap frogging and that way you have one foot on the ground at all times. Learn your rules of engagement (ROE) and get used to setting way points on the command map along with setting each squads fire arcs using the command map.

When confronted with the tangos don't fire on the first person you see as you need to check out there strengths and plan your method of attack. Don't be afraid of pulling back and moving to a better fire position to do maximum damage. Use flanking tactics to gain the upper hand and search for higher ground.

If fired upon go prone and return fire then cruel for cover , at this point you may want to switch to squad bravo or Charlie and do a flanking move and at the same time quickly set the ROE for the squad you just left. Being able to do all this in a split second and learning your key board could be the difference between bringing the whole team home or losing them. May pay to have a look at your mouse and key board set-up and see if you can see any improvements.

When moving over a hill where your body will be silhouetted on the sky line make sure you cruel over. Only get back up when your far enough down the other side so that your body has the back ground of the hill behind you. If want to peak over a crest or cliff go prone long before you get to it and cruel the rest of the way and try to have something behind you to stop your head from being silhouetted i.e.: bushes, rocks etc. When finished make sure you cruel backwards far enough before you get up from the prone position.

Keep to the shadows and when moving move slowly when checking up on things or you know the enemy is close. Get to know that shuffle key and use it when peaking around corners. To lower your profile when peaking around corners go prone and make sure you body is 45 degrees to what your looking around. If your too square your butt and legs show and will get your self shot real easy.

Try to look through things like trees and bushes rather than around them as your more concealed doing that. When stopped and scanning your fire arcs do it slowly as any fast movements will be picked up ten fold. Also scan right to left because you read left to right and your fast at it so just naturally scanning that way you will be slower and pick up a lot more information.

Keep your movements slow and be precise and think about all your movements at the same time as doing everything else. Hope this has helped you out some what.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Don't feel too bad, Hank. When you start out in GR, your men have barely any skill points. With only 1 or 2 stealth points, it's like they're wearing a neon sign on their helmets that says "HERE I AM, SHOOT ME!". The early missions were quite aggravating because of this.

One bit of advice would be to shoot and then move to another position. Stealth is critical and if you camp out after shooting, the enemy will get a bead on you. This is especially true of your sniper - as he can be more vulnerable at times and is truly effective when he shoots and moves.

I recommend that you do what I did and that was to train a little on the GR demo. The demo, as it's set up, is alot easier than your typical GR game mission. It's actually a fun mission and easy enough where you WILL have at least some success. If I had gone straight into GR without practicing on the demo, I'm not sure if I would have stayed with the game - I can still remember getting slaughtered on the first attempts at M01.

Stick with it - after about 7 or 8 missions you'll be a special ops "machine"!

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Get used to playing without the TI for good MP action.

http://home.comcast.net/~cjmello63/ravcjsig2.jpg

<font color="red">RAV (http://www.raraavises.com/index2.php)</font>
<font color="orange">ӡJMLL¸63</font>

http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Use your command map, the one where you can move at the same time. Keep bringing it up periodically while you move, it will show enemies before you see them.
After a shootout, stay put for a little bit, enemies nearby will come to investigate and you can get caught flat footed if you are moving.
Go prone when you see an enemy, you will not be seen as easily and your shooting is more accurate.
The best advice, keep playing as your skills develop over time and with experience.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
Chiles4 wrote:
- ...they're wearing a neon sign on their helmets that says
- "HERE I AM, SHOOT ME!".

Sweet - how do I get that? Is that the Vegas Mod everyone is talking about? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Definitely copy/print what snipe21 typed, but to answer your really dumb question /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif : it is called the Threat Indicator (TI). If the inner set of rings displays yellow there is a TANGO in that general direction. If the dot in the very center is red then there is a TANGO within 40m in the direction of the yellow. The outer most set of rings is the fire indicator - when it flashes red there are shote being fired in that direction. The TI works OK, but it's not perfect and most MP servers have it disabled, but they do leave the 'shot indicator' on (I don't think they can disable it). The little triangle ("pip") indicates north - there could be another one that indicates the direction to the nearest waypoint, but don't drive yourself crazy trying to find it because you probably won't see one - it took me weeks to figure that out.

<LEFT>http://web.wt.net/~bucko/SniperICO.jpg <LEFT>

Don't try to run away - you'll only die tired.

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys (especially snipe21, wow!) that makes this a lot easier.

padillah