PDA

View Full Version : Mute - anti-drone, anti-breach, or both?

Spiral_0ut
12-22-2015, 05:04 AM
I lean heavily toward using Mute's signal disruptors to stop breaches. In fact, most of the time I'll use all 4 for that purpose and just ignore the drones completely. My thinking is that:

1. The signal disruptors are super unreliable at actually stopping drones. They can be jumped over, and it's all but impossible to cover all entry points in 10~ seconds.
2. Any halfway communicative team will know at least what floor the objective is on even with the signal disruptors. As long as the defensive team is vigilant to shoot all of the drones that enter, it's not too much to worry about—although I have gotten seriously screwed by a well-hidden drone, so I understand the risk there.

On the other hand, by pairing all 4 signal disruptors with Castled windows or reinforced walls, you can usually outright cut the enemy team off from one whole side of the building, forcing them right into your choke-points. To me, that seems powerful enough to be worth the trade-off of having to watch for drones. What do you think?

Call_Me_Koala
12-22-2015, 05:14 AM
Do both. Start by blocking off the drones, then at ~10 seconds left pick them all up and jam the reinforced walls. It's just super annoying when idiot teammates destroy your jammer while shooting an already frozen drone. Happens way too often too.

Cashm0nae
12-22-2015, 05:18 AM
Yeah definitely remember that you can pick them up again. make jamming doors, ducts and stairs the top priority, and after the round starts consolidate them to prevent breaches around the objective. Realistically whats going to happen is the enemy will detect a jammer and get a good idea of which floor the defender is on, however being able to prevent drones from slipping through will still force them to be more cautious.

RSQ_kraekinn
12-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Like others have stated before me. First up jam the drone paths. This is mostly quite easily to do in 10secs. But some areas are more difficult. Just get to know the spawns. After that pick up the jammers and place them the way you see appropriate. And that's matter of opinion. I like to jam them reinforced walls mostly. But if we get a bandit on our team i let him take care of the walls and i jam wooden windows/doors. This i do for the reason that enemy can't breach them but instead they need to bash through them. This way my team has more time to response when they here people bashing wooden objects.

CourtJestGaming
12-22-2015, 05:55 PM
I don't bother jamming drone paths. It's way obvious to any decent team as to where objectives are based on wall reinforcements, where players are at and sound.

Typically when I mute, I try to mute breach entries but also spread them out. Most normal teams also ride with a Thatcher which will pretty much negate mute anyways, but by spreading out disruptors instead of close by to one another, it will either cause the team to have to move around some emp'ing them all, or use up all emp's on disruptors enough to still have 1 or 2 up on entries.

As of late, now that people have been playing more, I typically just skip over playing mute for the team and go rook instead or someone else, I personally feel like Mute against ranked teams that have any smarts to them or normal team comp, isn't that great

Rilandas
12-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Simply do both.

Cashm0nae
12-22-2015, 08:14 PM
I don't bother jamming drone paths. It's way obvious to any decent team as to where objectives are based on wall reinforcements, where players are at and sound.

Typically when I mute, I try to mute breach entries but also spread them out. Most normal teams also ride with a Thatcher which will pretty much negate mute anyways, but by spreading out disruptors instead of close by to one another, it will either cause the team to have to move around some emp'ing them all, or use up all emp's on disruptors enough to still have 1 or 2 up on entries.

As of late, now that people have been playing more, I typically just skip over playing mute for the team and go rook instead or someone else, I personally feel like Mute against ranked teams that have any smarts to them or normal team comp, isn't that great

This is pretty accurate, that jammer is very easy to detect. In preparation phase they give away the objective's position to anyone who knows what they're looking at. I still prefer to jam drone paths in order to minimize the chance of someone parking a drone at a good vantage point. Afterwards I move the jammers and hope it will screw with at least one entry attempt before they're picked off or emp'd

PeaceTech
12-23-2015, 03:17 AM
I have been playing with Mute a lot lately. One tactic I have been working on refining is using Mute to misdirect the enemy. This has worked on a couple of occasions, but I am still refining the method. In short the goal is to keep drones guessing on the location of the objective. I normally start by finding the nearest stair case and placing a jammer at the top/bottom of the stairs. Then I make my way down/up placing a jammer on each floor. Using loud running, barricading and drone hunting to help lock up unused floors. It does not always work, and more than once it has left me starting the round on a separate floor as my team. (This can sometimes be an advantageous thing as you can flank breaching enemies.) If the enemy finds the objective I typically abort, retrieve all jammers and place them on walls as described in previous posts.

E-A-X
12-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Bandit has actually the best way to take out the drones in general, but i also sometimes take the mute devices for the prep. time to get rid of the drones and later i replace them

Krotanix
12-27-2015, 03:20 AM
I'm not voting: first I use as many signal disruptors as I need to anti-drone and the rest for anti-breach, but when the preparation phase is over I puck up my anti-drones and set them as anti-breach (once the blocked drones are destroyed, so I make the enemy lose it's valuable time, but I don't try to stop their drones forever because they would anyway know where we are because the reinforced walls and so)

COCOBEEZUS
12-29-2015, 11:33 PM
I primarily use what i can to stop drones and whatever is left over i use for anti breach... but your post has me wanting to try anti breach only tonight.

deezus1
01-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Do both. Start by blocking off the drones, then at ~10 seconds left pick them all up and jam the reinforced walls. It's just super annoying when idiot teammates destroy your jammer while shooting an already frozen drone. Happens way too often too.

This ^

DDrum18
01-04-2016, 10:08 PM
When I play ranked with my "team", we have one guy run mute for anti-breach since he can cover 2 walls with one device or 1 castle window 1 device, if he has any left over they go to anti-drone. Occasionally I'll play as Bandit and if I don't run nitro cell I'll rub barbed wire and electrify the door ways. Sometimes it's a mix, mute will get the major doorways and vents and some of the walls, and I'll use Bandit to cover at least 3 individual walls. It just depends on the room we're in.

Cashm0nae
01-05-2016, 06:36 AM
Since this thread was original posted, I've swapped to just using jammers to help reinforcements and barricades. TBH I don't recall the last time as an attacker where my team didn't find the objective, or know enough about enemy positions to know where the objective will be. I'd rather drop the reinforcements and go roaming as Mute than to take the time to redeploy them. Since Mute is nothing but a gun after jammers are deployed, there is every incentive to go roaming early.

RSQ_kraekinn
01-05-2016, 10:12 AM
When I play ranked with my "team", we have one guy run mute for anti-breach since he can cover 2 walls with one device

He actually can't completely. The reinforced wall is still breachable from the far sides. I would say the jammer covers like 70-80% of the walls when jamming 2 walls with 1 jammer.

TheCyrcus
01-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I typically use them for walls or windows, I have to bandit on the team use electric wire to deal with the drones, it's more reliable.