PDA

View Full Version : Evie or Jacob?

VernalBreak
12-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Who do you like more? I was replaying some missions and I find that I actually dislike Evie where Jacob is awesome.

Megas_Doux
12-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I feel equally ok-ish about either of them.

VernalBreak
12-20-2015, 07:13 PM
then which one did you vote for? I probably should have had an "I like both of them equally" option.

Megas_Doux
12-20-2015, 07:43 PM
then which one did you vote for? I probably should have had an "I like both of them equally" option.

Exactly, which is why I have yet to vote :p

I-Like-Pie45
12-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Team Edward

Assassin_M
12-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Neither

SearStingray157
12-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Evie, definitely Evie

VernalBreak
12-21-2015, 02:23 AM
I distinctly disliked Evie. She was acting so arrogant yet almost every time I agreed with Jacob.

SixKeys
12-21-2015, 02:58 AM
Definitely Evie. Though I don't hate Jacob either, I think they work well together, but I still like Evie more.

iancreed
12-21-2015, 03:39 AM
besides Evie and Jacob the characters were lame af

Selestina118
12-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Before the game I was all about Evie, but the game actually made me like Jacob a lot more than I thought I would. So, I love them both equally now.

cawatrooper9
12-21-2015, 03:22 PM
In before people start asking why Ezio isn't an option.

VernalBreak
12-21-2015, 05:18 PM
@cawatrooper9, because it is a thread about syndicate.

cawatrooper9
12-21-2015, 05:29 PM
@cawatrooper9, because it is a thread about syndicate.

:rolleyes:

Quick, nobody tell him that it's a joke!

pacmanate
12-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Jacob

VernalBreak
12-21-2015, 06:08 PM
:rolleyes:

Quick, nobody tell him that it's a joke!

I understand it is a joke but I am giving you my honest response to that weird question.

Sorrosyss
12-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Evie.

Though in the main game only. She's not the same character in the DLC.

Assassin_M
12-21-2015, 08:22 PM
She's not the same character in the DLC.
Indeed, she's a better character in the DLC.

mrsmartman
12-21-2015, 09:02 PM
I cannot help but feel sorry for Jacob.

SearStingray157
12-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Indeed, she's a better character in the DLC.

Couldn't agree more. Jack The Ripper is awesome, and what the entire Syndicate should have been.

VernalBreak
12-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Jack the ripper dlc was sexist and weak. The sexism is the fact that no big punishment is given to a attempted murderer of a prostitute so sexist against women. Also, Ubi got so into women power that they made Jacob weak, lost all his skillset suddenly, and was in distress so kinda sexist the other way around. So Ubi hates men and women. Who else? I know this isn't a topic about the Jack the Ripper dlc but if they make more games like it I am never buying another AC game. On the topic of Evie being a better character she suddenly became so much of a pacifist that it interferes with her actual missions. Also Evie became dumb acting like an idiot around crime scenes. She is lucky they didn't arrest her as the ripper when she is yelling as loud as she can around murder scenes and not being stealthy enough to not get seen by a witness.

D.I.D.
12-23-2015, 07:00 AM
Jack the ripper dlc was sexist and weak. The sexism is the fact that no big punishment is given to a attempted murderer of a prostitute so sexist against women. Also, Ubi got so into women power that they made Jacob weak, lost all his skillset suddenly, and was in distress so kinda sexist the other way around. So Ubi hates men and women. Who else? I know this isn't a topic about the Jack the Ripper dlc but if they make more games like it I am never buying another AC game. On the topic of Evie being a better character she suddenly became so much of a pacifist that it interferes with her actual missions. Also Evie became dumb acting like an idiot around crime scenes. She is lucky they didn't arrest her as the ripper when she is yelling as loud as she can around murder scenes and not being stealthy enough to not get seen by a witness.

Neither of those points are sexism.

Also, Jacob didn't necessarily lose his skills suddenly. He's a 45-year-old man up against a younger man who is at least as strong as Jacob ever was. We don't know if he's lost any abilities, but if he has then that's fair; Evie has lost hers too (chameleon blending, for example).

Evie doesn't act like an idiot around crime scenes. There is no reason to arrest her as the Ripper. The police saw the Ripper and know that he's a big man. This happened a month before Evie arrived from India, and Abberline welcomed her home. The only time that changes is after the mission at the Owers mansion. No matter how you play it, if you look at the rooftop on the End Of Mission screen with the stats and so on, you can see Jack scuttling across the roof to enter the building. It's his murders that the police suspect you of committing for a while. The story requires that Evie was spotted in order to set up the gameplay conditions for that next mission, to change the pace. I'm not sure why you need her to be 100% perfect in order to be acceptable.

VernalBreak
12-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Jacob DID lose his skills suddenly. He gets killed by jack in seconds where Evie suddenly has his combat abilities. Jacob was way better at combat that Evie yet suddenly Evie is better. Why? Girl-power. I honestly feel Ubisoft got so sucked into making a female protagonist they decided to trash there male protagonist. Which call me crazy.. is kind of sexist. Take combat when you are the ripper. The Ripper can kill Jacob in a few strikes and can break his defense without any difficulty. Suddenly he can't do either of those things to Evie because Evie somehow gained Jacob's skillset. The prostitute murderer guy getting released after a few minutes of shame is undoubtedly sexist.

D.I.D.
12-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Jacob didn't get killed (he's alive at the end of the DLC and for years beyond that), and his abduction doesn't come easily. That's a huge fight.

We were told in advance of Syndicate that Jacob's better at fighting than Evie, and that Evie was better at stealth. Well, you played the game: is Evie worse at fighting than Jacob, or is Jacob worse at stealth? They're the same, because AC protags are always overpowered, and this was just marketing BS.

Also, please stop claiming "sexism". You don't understand what it means. It's pathetic when male gamers have tried to derail the arguments that lead us to these small improvements in gender parity in this medium by claiming that games are sexist to men too because, for example, the men are routinely muscular. It's completely missing the point of the problem in the first place, like when white people claim to have suffered racism because of that one time a black person called them a "cracker". If you start seeing a handful of games every year from now on where a man gets defeated and has to be rescued by a woman, that is not sexism. Context is important, and entertainment media exists as a distantly secondary area to the balance of power in real life. We do not have an equal history and it is not an equal playing field in the present, so the things that might pose a problem in one gender relationship do not do so equally if you flip the genders.

ImaginaryRuins
12-24-2015, 11:40 AM
I like Jacob more because he has more character development shown in the game. He also looks cooler in his outfits compared to Evie.

EaglePrince25
12-24-2015, 04:44 PM

You don't seem to understand what sexism actually is friend.

Are we talking about Jack in terms of murdering a prostitute? Because i'd say that being chased by the police and murdered yourself is suitable punishment.

The DLC takes place 20 years after Syndicate. Therefore, in terms of the game itself, nothing in it is really happening suddenly as that's a massive skip forward in time during which any number of events can and did take place. You shouldn't go in expecting any of the characters to be the same as they were previously and should be open to things having changed. Jacob's not in his prime anymore, nor is Evi, so it's really not that surprising for either to have lost a step or two. In AC Forsaken, Haytham notes the exact same thing about himself. In ACR, Ezio was noticeably slower than he was previously and couldn't recover from falls in the same way he used to. People never stop talking about the decrease in skill Edward must have gone through to die the way he did, so this is fairly consistent across the series, because that's what aging does to people. Combine that with the fact that Jacob's going up against someone that's around half his age, who he himself trained (And therefore should know Jacob and his fighting style) and is clearly in excellent shape, as is customary of Assassins, and I don't really see a problem with the Ripper giving him trouble and even beating him.

Furthermore, Jacob the male was in distress so Syndicate is sexist? So basically, a male being in trouble and needing help if just something that's impossible and goes against nature and to portray that is to weaken males to empower females? Or something, because this statement just makes no sense. Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward, pretty much every male character in the franchise has gone through a point where they were in trouble and needed help from someone else. Sometimes it was another male and sometimes it was a female.

She's not really a pacfist, seeing as she takes part in a field that specifically requires her to hunt down and murder people, which is what she does in the DLC. So i'm not sure what you're referring to her. The main difference between her and Jacob however, which the game emphasizes time and again, is that she likes to plan things out more thoroughly than he does, down to the last detail. The downside of this is also mentioned, in which she can sometimes wait too long while planning and therefore might miss out on certain opportunities, whereas by then Jacob might've already just rushed in and killed whomever the target was.

VernalBreak
12-24-2015, 06:02 PM
@EaglePrince25, I was not talking about the ripper. I was talking about the "walk of shame" missions. You are supposed to shame then release someone who assaulted and attempted to murder a prostitute.
Again, Jacob needing help or even being beaten by the ripper would be totally fine if it made any sense at all. If the ripper had some kind of strategy and beat Jacob that would make sense but just trashing Jacobs skillset and handing it to Evie is ridiculous. If Evie can beat the Ripper Jacob should be able to as well because HE WAS BETTER AT COMBAT. Arno, my favorite protagonist needed help at many points throughout the game but Unity did not just trash his skillset and give it to another character making your "that happened to everyone" point irrelevant.
Next point, Evie IS a pacifist in the game. She can not kill a man who assaulted and attempted to murder a prostitute. She can't kill constables and all her attacks are non-lethal. I call never killing anyone pacifism when you are an assassin.

@D.I.D, again a male protagonist getting rescued by a woman is NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I simply find it pathetic that they trashed Jacob's skillset and gave it to Evie. I would argue the same exact point except backwards if they had trashed Evie's skillset and given it to Jacob.

EaglePrince25
12-24-2015, 06:34 PM
@EaglePrince25, I was not talking about the ripper. I was talking about the "walk of shame" missions. You are supposed to shame then release someone who assaulted and attempted to murder a prostitute.
Again, Jacob needing help or even being beaten by the ripper would be totally fine if it made any sense at all. If the ripper had some kind of strategy and beat Jacob that would make sense but just trashing Jacobs skillset and handing it to Evie is ridiculous. If Evie can beat the Ripper Jacob should be able to as well because HE WAS BETTER AT COMBAT. Arno, my favorite protagonist needed help at many points throughout the game but Unity did not just trash his skillset and give it to another character making your "that happened to everyone" point irrelevant.
Next point, Evie IS a pacifist in the game. She can not kill a man who assaulted and attempted to murder a prostitute. She can't kill constables and all her attacks are non-lethal. I call never killing anyone pacifism when you are an assassin.

@D.I.D, again a male protagonist getting rescued by a woman is NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I simply find it pathetic that they trashed Jacob's skillset and gave it to Evie. I would argue the same exact point except backwards if they had trashed Evie's skillset and given it to Jacob.

Right I forgot about those. Those are bad, but it still goes both ways as they attempted to kill a prostitute. The Ripper DID kill numerous people and you again kill him at the DLC's conclusion, so that's not a universal rule in itself.

The Ripper is a trained Assassin, specifically trained by Jacob and is around half Jacob's age. I'm not sure why you need anything more than those facts to accept him besting Jacob in a fight. It's not even a prolonged encounter in an open environment. It's in a room, with the Ripper surprising Jacob when he shows up. Jacob then doesn't even 100% focus on defeating or killing Jack. He attempts to talk to him, trying to help him. I think the outcome of that fight made perfect sense and didn't trash Jacob's skills at all honestly.

"I call never killing anyone pacifism when you are an assassin."

Except she kills the Ripper at the end of the DLC, so that's not "never killing anyone". She doesn't kill constables because her relationship with the police is strained at the time, due to her directly getting involved in the business with the Ripper and the Ripper framing the Assassin Order for what he's doing. That's actually a very big part of the DLC. Taking that into account i'd say that it's fairly smart that she doesn't kill any constables. There are missions in previous games where to get 100% completion you have to avoid killing various characters for different reasons and I don't see this as being any different, especially when she's again still killing the Ripper and his associates regardless. Seems like you're exaggerating to me.

VernalBreak
12-24-2015, 07:15 PM
This is getting off topic to the Evie vs Jacob. Lets continue this argument in the "Jack the ripper discussion and analysis" thread

Assassin_M
12-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Evie is undoubtedly given a more pacifistic set of skills. Her assassination animations became non-lethal (They removed the stab sound effect and enemies can be seen aching in pain on the ground), she can only use the brass knuckles as weapons and the fear tactics tutorials emphasize the fact that Evie's are non-lethal. Yeah, she can still kill, but it's harder and much less emphasized than before. This is only because we're tackling Jack the Ripper and it'd be weird to be investigating such a killer while simultaneously leaving a trail of dead bodies in your wake. While it's a safe play by Ubisoft, at least there's no tonal dissonance.

Farlander1991
12-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Evie is undoubtedly given a more pacifistic set of skills. Her assassination animations became non-lethal (They removed the stab sound effect and enemies can be seen aching in pain on the ground), she can only use the brass knuckles as weapons and the fear tactics tutorials emphasize the fact that Evie's are non-lethal. Yeah, she can still kill, but it's harder and much less emphasized than before. This is only because we're tackling Jack the Ripper and it'd be weird to be investigating such a killer while simultaneously leaving a trail of dead bodies in your wake. While it's a safe play by Ubisoft, at least there's no tonal dissonance.

Speaking of, in the first segment as Jack I tried to kill civilians, and the game told me 'Jack didn't compromise his plans by killing random civilians'. It was so weird to me... especially considering Rogue, where there's a character who in no way shape or form would kill civilians can do it, while the game with a crazy serial killer character doesn't allow to do that (though it gives prompt to assassinate them... uhm, wha?). And it would make perfect sense even if his grudge is against the Assassins just, he has 'the more time you hide from me the more innocents I will kill so their death is on you' kind of thing going. So it's weird to me that there's that particular tonal dissonance going. I mean, amount of enemies killed you can usually chunk up to Animus that we never actually know how many people the Assassins have killed outside of their main targets, but here it's like... a character who would do that but Animus/Helix is against it for some reason? Huh?

HDinHB
12-24-2015, 10:17 PM
@Farlander, I had the same reaction, although I didn't try to kill civilians until the final mission. I decided, here is Jack, in a bloodrage, waiting for the final battle with his nemesis, losing his grip...it's time for a rampage. After killing the nurse, Jack proceeded to kill everyone in his path on the way to the doctor. I don't know why there were so many civilians in the business end of the asylum anyway. By the time the "don't kill..." admonishment had popped up, Jack had already killed a couple more civilians and was working on a third before I could stop him...too late...desynch.

Contrariwise, I don't have a problem with the prohibition on Evie killing police, since I tend not to kill police for sport anyway, and in the context of the DLC it makes sense to enforce that.

murphdawg1
01-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Definitely Evie I just find her character more likeable while it seems all Jacob wants to do is kill Templars, so yeah I definitely use Evie more in free roam.

joelsantos24
01-03-2016, 06:27 PM
None.

jellejackhammer
01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
evie.just read my signature and you will understand why.her motivation and missions just grabbed me more then jacob did.

Bipolar Matt
01-05-2016, 01:11 AM
I found Jacob to have the more likeable personality. He was also the best fist fighter and perhaps the best knife fighter in the entire series. Though overall, Evie was the better Assassin.

Assassin_M
01-05-2016, 01:37 AM
"Better fighter" "Master of stealth" "Better Assassin". You guys do realize that this just Ubisoft marketing talk, right? They're both as capable as each other in every skill set.

Bipolar Matt
01-05-2016, 01:59 PM
"Better fighter" "Master of stealth" "Better Assassin". You guys do realize that this just Ubisoft marketing talk, right? They're both as capable as each other in every skill set.

Jacob had stronger strikes (Mutilate II skill) and could withstand more damage (Defense III) and was better with a gun (Gunslinger II).

Meanwhile Evie was better with Throwing Knives, had the Chameleon skill and better overall Stealth stats (Knife Master, Chameleon, Stealth III).

Certainly, you can go stealth or combat with either, but at the end, they are both geared for one strength.

joelsantos24
01-05-2016, 03:16 PM
I found Jacob to have the more likeable personality. He was also the best fist fighter and perhaps the best knife fighter in the entire series. Though overall, Evie was the better Assassin.
Really? The ADD-hyperactive idiot? Don't get me wrong, I like neither of them, but I also did find Evie the most exasperating of the two.

Assassin_M
01-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Jacob had stronger strikes (Mutilate II skill) and could withstand more damage (Defense III) and was better with a gun (Gunslinger II).

Meanwhile Evie was better with Throwing Knives, had the Chameleon skill and better overall Stealth stats (Knife Master, Chameleon, Stealth III).

Certainly, you can go stealth or combat with either, but at the end, they are both geared for one strength.
At the end of the game, you're so powerful that these things don't even really matter. I felt no difference in a stealth section with Jacob just as I felt no difference in a combat section with Evie. The skill trees not withstanding (It's just an extension of the fact that this is all what Ubisoft tells us), there really is no difference.

joelsantos24
01-05-2016, 06:41 PM
At the end of the game, you're so powerful that these things don't even really matter. I felt no difference in a stealth section with Jacob just as I felt no difference in a combat section with Evie. The skill trees not withstanding (It's just an extension of the fact that this is all what Ubisoft tells us), there really is no difference.
Agreed.