PDA

View Full Version : Yeeesh. Evie hasn't aged well huh...

SquareToShoot
12-16-2015, 07:59 PM
In the new Ripper DLC. And Jacob doesn't look like he's aged at all.

Nickyhaswifi
12-16-2015, 08:07 PM
In the new Ripper DLC. And Jacob doesn't look like he's aged at all.

Yeah lol she looks about 50. I think the devs were so eager and proud to have you play as a mature woman that they really exaggerated it. Then again times were hard back then especially considering her lifestyle so of course she looks rough.

Jacob defo looks his age - you can see the wrinkles around his eyes.

D.I.D.
12-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeah lol she looks about 50. I think the devs were so eager and proud to have you play as a mature woman that they really exaggerated it. Then again times were hard back then especially considering her lifestyle so of course she looks rough.

Jacob defo looks his age - you can see the wrinkles around his eyes.

But then again they're supposed to be peak genetic specimens, less human than most people too.

We need realistic ageing, but they might as well base the character on a real person for whom there's a lot of source photography at different ages. Actors would be the obvious choice - pick an actor who is at least 45, if that's the maximum age at which we'll see the character, and then look at them at 25 to make your other model. There's no mistaking Mrs. Disraeli's inspiration, and I expect everyone who knows who Helen Mirren is said, "HI, HELEN MIRREN" the moment she appeared on screen. Equally they could have used, say, Jenny Agutter for Evie's inspiration and used her movies to make her age in a way that doesn't look like a completely different person with the advance of a mere 20 years. If they don't want to use famous actors' images then they could cast for models like they did with Desmond, on the stipulation that they're [x] years old minimum now, and they have plenty of photos/film of themselves in their 20s too.

Farlander1991
12-16-2015, 09:41 PM
I dunno, I think she looks fine.

D.I.D.
12-16-2015, 10:35 PM
I think she looks fine too, but she's like a different person. It's like seeing a character come back in Season Two played by someone else - there's nothing wrong with the new person, but it takes a long time to get used to them.

Some people age really dramatically from their youth because they had a babyish look that was reliant on the exact balance of the fat in their face. Evie's more like your sort of Kate Beckinsale/Essie Davis kind of look: all great facial structure, and age doesn't alter them all that much.

Farlander1991
12-17-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm not an expert on aging so I can't really comment on that, but I do think that facial structure is not the only thing that influences how you look as you age. Kate Beckinsale and Essie Davis are actresses, and I'm sure that they keep well after themselves to keep the good looks and if they'd been assassins who half the time wouldn't have any kind of normal sleep because they're on missions running on rooftops and fighting with people, as well as halfway through their life pretty permanently change climate zone they live in to a drastically different one, with a different diet, and all other factors, I kinda doubt they'd look now the same way the did 20 years ago.

Anyway, this is not my area of expertise so I can't really state any constructive arguments. I just don't feel that the way they portray Evie 20 years after ACS is somehow off.

Eddo36
12-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Looks don't mean anything. If you liked Evie because she was pretty, you like characters for the wrong reason. Attractiveness doesn't matter one bit.

D.I.D.
12-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Looks don't mean anything. If you liked Evie because she was pretty, you like characters for the wrong reason. Attractiveness doesn't matter one bit.

Not what I was saying in the slightest.

I'm saying that, to me, her identity doesn't carry from one game into the next, and it's odd for her because of the kind of face she had in the first place. If I saw 45-year-old Evie without it being signposted for me, I wouldn't realise it was meant to be her.

But really, any kind of face. I run into people all the time who I haven't seen for 20 years, but I recognise them. If people put on or lose a lot of weight, that makes it harder sometimes. If people stay fit, it's not difficult at all.

She's wearing stronger make-up, and a large part of it might be down to a different animator for the DLC (haven't played it yet, just watched a bit near the beginning and stopped) given that so much of Evie's appearance was tied up in those excellent facial animations.

cawatrooper9
12-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Maybe this thread had me expecting something worse, but I didn't think she looked bad at all. I mean, no worse than most would when you compare them at 20 versus 40.

whatr_those
12-17-2015, 05:11 PM
She looks like a typical Englishwoman in her early 40's -- like she's in her late 50's.

Englishwomen age terribly. They hit 40 before they turn 30.

Civona
12-17-2015, 05:50 PM
she looks like a cool detective lady.

BananaBlighter
12-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Not what I was saying in the slightest.

I'm saying that, to me, her identity doesn't carry from one game into the next, and it's odd for her because of the kind of face she had in the first place. If I saw 45-year-old Evie without it being signposted for me, I wouldn't realise it was meant to be her.

But really, any kind of face. I run into people all the time who I haven't seen for 20 years, but I recognise them. If people put on or lose a lot of weight, that makes it harder sometimes. If people stay fit, it's not difficult at all.

She's wearing stronger make-up, and a large part of it might be down to a different animator for the DLC (haven't played it yet, just watched a bit near the beginning and stopped) given that so much of Evie's appearance was tied up in those excellent facial animations.

Yeah, it doesn't feel right when she's so different. She's not the chubby little girl from Syndicate, though I guess her new look reflects her improved maturity. However, I wouldn't say that she's wearing stronger make-up, to me it seem the other way round. In the DLC her eyes look a lot smaller, probably due to a lack of make-up there.

raytrek79
12-17-2015, 07:25 PM
What? Mature Evie is far hotter than jailbait Evie.

Sorrosyss
12-18-2015, 10:11 AM
I did find it funny how Jacob and Abberline have barely changed. Evie looks far older than she should supposedly be though. They overdid it for sure.

Nickyhaswifi
12-18-2015, 02:55 PM
She looks like a typical Englishwoman in her early 40's -- like she's in her late 50's.

Englishwomen age terribly. They hit 40 before they turn 30.

Quick, it's not too late, you can edit your post!

Lol seriously though I think it's down to genes. Although seeing as Jacob and Evie are twins she should look as good as he does.

EaglePrince25
12-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Different people age differently, even within families. Could be for a number of reasons. I don't think Evie looks bad at all though. A bit older than Jacob, but not like 10-15 years older in my opinion and Jacob definitely looks like he's aged as well. If anything, i'm interested in what the two have been up to since that could've affected the aging process for them.

Sesheenku
12-18-2015, 06:20 PM
~She is 25 going on 65 fellas will run away!~