PDA

View Full Version : Handling & Physics

CRUDEMOTORSPORT
11-18-2015, 02:42 PM
I've always had a soft spot for 'The Crew', it drew me in with it's expansive world and unique car customisation but then let me down with it's poor handling and physics system. I carried on playing the game with the only car I found enjoyable - the Nissan Skyline. It was my car of choice, it handled well enough in every spec to ignore the shotty handling.

This being said, why should I go about driving only one car when there are so many on offer. Drifting is my forte and it took quite some time to fine tune the upgrades and controller settings to finally be able to drift the one and only car in the game that was bearable. You can view a video of that here: https://www.facebook.com/gamecaptures/videos/1486646411635917/?theater

Finally, The Crew get's a major expansion which I have to now spend $40AUD on after spending over $100AUD on the Original Game and Season Pass, but that's ok - I appreciate the work that's gone into this expansion however I can't help but feel ripped off!

I had high hopes for the Wild Run Expansion, my high hopes were that the handling would be improved, that the new Drift Spec would finally give me some control over sliding a car around, but I am quite disheartened..

The handling system in this game is strange, it's arcade and I get that - but arcade racing still gives you finesse and control over your vehicle. I found that in the new Drift Spec, the car would wave about, like it was a boat out at sea. It gave me control at times but then wouldn't give me control. When adjusting the controller settings it would help but then jumping into a different spec car would make them worse.

It's something of a trend these days with arcade racers, to give this floaty feeling in the handling but it just ruins the experience and although I'm impressed by the graphics, weather and monster trucks of the Wild Run expansion - the physics and handling are the foundation of the game and unfortunately this game just doesn't have that foundation...

Not to mention they've now locked the ability to change controller bindings with a gamepad which was what I used to enable my way of shifting gears with the clutch on an XBOX ONE controller. Just another thing to ruin my experience. :(

How do you find the Handling and Physics? Does it ruin your experience?

SP_666
11-18-2015, 07:15 PM
hmmm, Although i not own WR, all last the night i play and try understand new handling system.

It is very strange now, not harder or easier, but exactly strange, not understandable. I try explain my feelings.

If before i was able steer car where i want, drive very precise and enough fast, i was not be any problems drive through two traffic cars columns on highways.

Now ...., hmm, hard to describe that, i steer wheel, car goes alike where i want, and all seems will be ok, just suddenly car goes somewhere wrong, maybe not much, but anyway it is noticeable. And i cant explain how car goes now, i have feeling now that car live his self life and i not control it.

I try adapt to new handling, but one i can say for sure, i cant anyway run through two traffic cars columns on highways fast enough, mostly car crash/touch one of traffic car. If i want do that i am are forced slow down speed a lot.

In this reason also faction missions seems much harder now, i think that not so much AI are become harder, problem are that i am now are slower, because handling now are less less precise as before update

Oh, forgot, i use Logitech G27 wheel..

Liquidat0rr
11-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Completely agree with TS. Kinda weird to desribe the feeling but it is like I got no connection with the car, like the vehicle is hovering over the road. Need for Speed does give me that 'connected' feeling although it's not the same game i am confident Ubisoft is able to achieve this. It is hard to say what exactly causes this, perhaps they need to find a good balance between arcade/sim?

And as TS said i get attracted by the massive open world, graphics, customization but after racing a few races to be dissapointed by the physics and handling. If they would fix this words can't desribe what kind of game this could be!

Bo_Hazem
11-18-2015, 08:37 PM
It's easier now to me.

Here's my set:

Mode: Hardcore:
Transmission: Manual

I keep everything as they are in the middle but I pull the "Steering speed factor" to the extreme right. It feels way better and responsive. I tried many things with this but this one is optimum to me

http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/resource/en-CA/game/thecrew-game/portal/Controls1_185469.jpg

Try it for half an hour or something and let's know what you think.

Put in mind:

You should not push full throttle in tight turns.

You should keep the throttle in the middle after a jump so you can grip when you land or shift to a lower gear if you're in a very high speed and big jump.

Every car has its handling, it takes like half an hour to get used to it.

The Crew has more realistic approach in most of its handling in my opinion.

Liquidat0rr
11-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your suggestion Bo_Hazem, i tried it but it is not my style. Probably has something to do with me playing on PC + keyboard. Though i just switched to hardcore and it made a bit of a difference,testing it further right now. Below my settings for anyone who would like to try them out.
http://i.imgur.com/gMLZFyd.jpg

Bo_Hazem
11-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks for your suggestion Bo_Hazem, i tried it but it is not my style. Probably has something to do with me playing on PC + keyboard. Though i just switched to hardcore and it made a bit of a difference,testing it further right now. Below my settings for anyone who would like to try them out.
http://i.imgur.com/gMLZFyd.jpg

Glad you're doing better now! Try and test every set until you reach the best for you. Manual gives you a huge advantage as you can hit the corner with higher speed but with a lower gear by drifting or grip style.

When you moved the Steering Dead Zone to the very left you nearly made the steering feel more like other games, I guess. In the Crew you can trun very aggressively on high speed if you want to but that's not possible on most other games. It'll take time until you get used to the driving style you pick.

Put in mind that I'm playing on console (PS4).

Warm greetings.

SP_666
11-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks, peoples, that share your control settings, but as i understand, you use pad's and keyboard.

hmmm, will be interesting, if someone will share wheel settings.

Because, now are a bit strange situation for me.

For example, i need addjust Wheel steering sensitivity if i want drive 458 Speciale and LaFerrari, and if i want drive with, for example, Porsche RT35 i forced re-addjust sensitivity again.

Of course, maybe not a big problem, but a bit annoying.

And even playing with this sensitivity slider i cant anymore found settings to drive precise as it was possible before cars handling/physics update.

So, all this force me thought, that new handling/physics are more oriented for keyboards/pads users, but Wheels supports become more poorer. Sadly, of course.

Karu403
11-19-2015, 09:11 AM
great job on the new force feedback and handling. way better than before. like I said in the other post on wheel settings, you should try and get the wheel's vibration function going, that would be awesome.