PDA

View Full Version : Chasing pixels

wki3
06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been flying IL2/FB a year or so mostly online with HL and can fly well enough, but have big trouble finding targets when trying BnZ tactics. If I fly low to hide and climb up to a target, then I have no E left. I've tried different graphics modes/setting to make targets stand out better below me with no luck. How do you aces spot a target well below you, figure it's flying direction, and home in on it? They are invisible to me unless firing tracers and then they disappear after firing. To me they look like a stationary speck of dust on my monitor if I see them at all, and yes I've cleaned it and it's a 19" CRT.

Also, my gunnery sucks but first I have to find something to shoot.

wki3

wki3
06-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been flying IL2/FB a year or so mostly online with HL and can fly well enough, but have big trouble finding targets when trying BnZ tactics. If I fly low to hide and climb up to a target, then I have no E left. I've tried different graphics modes/setting to make targets stand out better below me with no luck. How do you aces spot a target well below you, figure it's flying direction, and home in on it? They are invisible to me unless firing tracers and then they disappear after firing. To me they look like a stationary speck of dust on my monitor if I see them at all, and yes I've cleaned it and it's a 19" CRT.

Also, my gunnery sucks but first I have to find something to shoot.

wki3

ucanfly
06-03-2004, 05:51 PM
If you figure it out let me know. I too have trouble especially online where stutters make me lose tally even more often than offline. Too bad the low LODs are so hard to see. Makes this game frustrating many times with certain maps/planes. I've used max zoom but that is a real pain when it is easy for others to sneak up on you. I still refuse to use icons because they are so intrusive but I wish Oleg would make these low LODs more visible so that the ranges of visibility are like real life. Right now they are not.

Maj_Death
06-03-2004, 06:33 PM
There are a number of factors, first and foremost is simply the conditions. In bright light (such as noon), low light or in hazy conditions it is nearly impossible to spot bandits from a distance from above. The ideal time is in medium lighting such as the late afternoon (about 1600hrs). The second thing is your hunting ability. You must be able to accurately predict the enemies flight path. If you can do that you can simply fly off to one side of it and stare in a single direction until someone enters that viewing area. At that point you should be able to easily pick them up assuming good conditions. The last thing is movement. The human eye is designed to pick up movement, not small color differences. When you are searching don't look for the dot, look for the dot that moves slowly relative to the terrain or your plane. In order to do this you must be flying in a reasonably straight course. Frantically manuevering to try to spot a target is counter productive. It actually makes it far more difficult to spot something.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maj_Death here, Stab.I/JG1Death at HL

I build COOPs and DF maps. If you would like some of them you can get them atmy COOP page (http://www14.brinkster.com/triggerhappy770/default.htm)

I/JG1 Oesau is recruiting axis pilots who prefer to fly maximum realism. We accept both veterans and rookies. We fly in VEF2, VOW and may join other online wars in the future. Go to our forums at http://www.jg1-oesau.org/ for more details and to apply.
http://www.bestanimations.com/Humans/Skulls/Skull-06.gif

Cragger
06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Full zoom is also counterproductive because it seems to activate the next level of LOD than would normally be used. Because of this a smaller LOD is displayed and the object actually becomes invisible because it is too small. Just try it for yourself, get something far enough away that is is just a dot in full 'unzoomed' view and then go to full zoom, bye bye bogey.

http://redspar.com/redrogue/cragger_sig.jpg

Charos
06-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Lets me in on the Secret as well when you learn it.

A few Problems I have are:

#1 When any aircraft gets to about 5KM its a black Dot. If I fly at 5000M which a Like to do being in a BF109 - Most targets below are getting to or near to being Black dots this coupled with the Ground detail Blurring at this distance makes it Damn hard.

#2 Any plane far above a low flying plane is a Black dot - Why I have Blue undersurfaces on my Plane is anyones Guess - I stand out against the Blue sky while anything far below me is not only a black dot but concealed in Blurred terrain.

Not only is it hard to locate your adversary but when you do he can see you coming for miles. when your ready to attack the Enemy can Jink all over creation while you brush the concrete off the Elevator in an attempt to negate a Kiss with Terraferma.

Then just as you think your about to go back upstairs for another attempt you get a spray of long range 50Cal in the Caboose thet chops 150KM/H off your top end speed.Then its only a matter of time before your trying to figure if you were nice last time you spoke to your parachute packer.

But would I trade in my BF109 "NO" - There is just something about it which keeps me attracted to it, perhaps its my inherent desire to be repeatedly shot down whatever it is its got me bad.

BaldieJr
06-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Object detail = normal.
Terrain detail = Lowest.
Everything else on highest settings.

I get excellent vis with these settings.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
My Specs (read 'em and weep):
* Automatically grinds whole beans before brewing
* Fully programmable 24 hours in advance
* Brew Pause feature lets you enjoy a cup before brewing has finished
* Automatically shuts off when brewing is complete
* Grind-off feature for brewing ground coffee
* 1-4 cup feature to accommodate coffee for one
* 10-cup double-wall insulated thermal carafe to keep your coffee hot long after brewing
* Gold tone commercial-style permanent filter eliminates the need to buy coffee filters
* Charcoal water filter removes impurities from the water
* Separate grinder chamber and filter area allow for easy cleanup
* Limited 3-year warranty
</pre>

Fennec_P
06-03-2004, 07:24 PM
If you can stand using 640x480 or 800x600, the dots are much easier to see.