PDA

View Full Version : Seperate MD Game/ Series

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Last year, as many of you know, we got two games: Unity and a less flushed out (but surprisingly decent) Rogue. Now, we can argue that rogue shouldn't have cost the price of a full game, and that's a decent argument, but it should happen another time.

My idea here is this- if Modern Day is to continue the way that it has (and I thought Syndicate's progression was decent) would we want it to be supplementing an entirely different game/series set only in modern day? Perhaps something even that connects Watch_Dogs as well?

pacmanate
11-16-2015, 05:34 PM
We already discussed MD being its seperate game, DLC, whether it should go or stay here 2 days ago - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1327086-The-Modern-Day-Problem-What-is-the-solution

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 05:36 PM
We already discussed MD being its seperate game, DLC, whether it should go or stay here 2 days ago - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1327086-The-Modern-Day-Problem-What-is-the-solution

Wow, really? Dang, I always try to check for stuff like that. Stupid, stupid cawatrooper.

ACZanius
11-16-2015, 05:39 PM
I would buy it DAY 1 in a heart big separate or 2nd AC title fully modern day game and would pay any price!

Syndicate is a great game, not a filler and really did progressed modern day in a huge way compared to what we got in past 2-3 games, i loved the combat waaaay more than Unity that game was hands down biggest AC let down for me regarding historical story, over-arching plot/modern day and characters. Again i would absolutely love to have fully modern day title in formula of AC3's modern day!

3rd person protagonist

Hideout

Either linear or semi open world missions and crazy action packed missions...i could go in detail but wanted to be quick and short

PS: I want no connection to Watch_Dogs, AC should stay separate, never liked Watch_Dogs

LoyalACFan
11-16-2015, 05:40 PM
IMO Modern Day should have been allowed to die with a modicum of dignity in AC3.

So no thanks :p

Danny_rx7
11-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Absolutely not :)

VoXngola
11-16-2015, 06:26 PM
It isn't even feasible. And even if, it wouldn't be the same. The past and the MD need to be mixed. And If I had to choose what part to sacrifice, even if I loved it so much, it would be the MD.

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2015, 07:14 PM
For me, I am against the concept on principle but if Ubisoft decides to do it, they should do it right.

The one thing to consider about an Assassin's Creed game in the Modern Day is well defining what Assassination means today. Because the fact is you could pass the Assassins as heroes in the Crusades where they are fighting extremists on both sides and come as Closet Secular Humanists, you can pass an Assassin as heroic in the Colonial and Renaissance Age because this was a time of corrupt authorities.

But if you make an AC game where you have targets like say "Famous Celebrity Accused of <INSERT DISPUTED ALLEGATIONS HERE>" who is secretly a Templar, if you say "Famous Billionaire Media Mogul", "Televangelist", Terrorists or whatever other people you think are equivalents of AC Targets in the historical series even if they are realistic, well you are basically entering politically volatile territory. That is to say if it was actually consistent with the games that came before.

The other problem is realism. The thing is in the earlier AC games they were convincing because they had access to a real culture. Those were actual paintings you bought in AC2, actual book titles you collected in Revelations, actual sea shanties in Black Flag, actual Almanacs in AC3 and so on. The historical context is in the public domain. I mean if AC were to set a game in the heydey of Italian Opera and classical music, they could hire musicians to compose and conduct Bach and Mozart without paying any rights because that music is totally free. If they show Shakespeare, they can quote his works and poetry and not deal with any Shakespeare estate. To do an MD game in the same spirit of realism you would need to portray brands, labels, music and so on. In other words huge expenses of rights. That's why GTA games are set in cities with made-up names, made-up brands, made-up everything, the only real things are the music on the car radio, so the money went there and it costs a lot of money believe me. The other thing is realism is that for AC to deal with prominent cultural figures in the 20th Century, the logical thing for Ubisoft to do would be to cast celebrity cameos to make it continuous because in a serious game if you have say, the Assassins hanging out with famous political and cultural figures and they are voiced, it wouldn't be convincing truly.

Also a Leap of Faith off a tall skyscraper...believe me can't be done. Maybe they can dod some Philip Petit style stunts for viewpoints though. Also they did 1:1 versions of Notre Dame in Unity, imagine a 1:1 fully explorable interior-exterior Empire State Building...it would destroy the game to render that and likewise no real building will allow for that kind of access to recreat it, so building realism and Parkour is gone.

The fact is a MD Assassin's Creed game will be bereft of anything that made AC AC (No leaps-of-faith, restrictions on Parkour, lack of cultural and architectural immersion) and it would be Splinter Cell/MGS/Hitman-clones and nothing more.

RinoTheBouncer
11-16-2015, 07:18 PM
I'd pay for it with my blood if it ever happens.

dxsxhxcx
11-16-2015, 07:24 PM
It isn't even feasible. And even if, it wouldn't be the same. The past and the MD need to be mixed. And If I had to choose what part to sacrifice, even if I loved it so much, it would be the MD.

this, the modern is there to add more flavor to the story, as a standalone game it would lose all its appeal...

Also a Leap of Faith off a tall skyscraper...believe me can't be done. Maybe they can dod some Philip Petit style stunts for viewpoints though. Also they did 1:1 versions of Notre Dame in Unity, imagine a 1:1 fully explorable interior-exterior Empire State Building...it would destroy the game to render that and likewise no real building will allow for that kind of access to recreat it, so building realism and Parkour is gone.

The fact is a MD Assassin's Creed game will be bereft of anything that made AC AC (No leaps-of-faith, restrictions on Parkour, lack of cultural and architectural immersion) and it would be Splinter Cell/MGS/Hitman-clones and nothing more.

yeah, I give a pass to most of these things nowadays because gameplay-wise the MD was (and still is) a small part of the game, but as a standalone game, I would cringe everytime I climbed a building next to a busy street without any consequences..

ACZanius
11-16-2015, 07:42 PM
this, the modern is there to add more flavor to the story, as a standalone game it would lose all its appeal...

yeah, I give a pass to most of these things nowadays because gameplay-wise the MD was (and still is) a small part of the game, but as a standalone game, I would cringe everytime I climbed a building next to a busy street without any consequences..

It does not have to be open world it never would be, it can be semi open-world or linear, open world does not make game good and amazing, all it needs is great immersive, race against time story.

1. Third Person Protagonist (Playable obviously, female or male)

2. Hideout (Where we interact with characters like dialogues etc, pick our gear for the mission for example/ Drone tech, modern military cross bow, we can still have hidden blade, EMP grade tech nothing over the top we don't need firearms and some crazy crap after all we have to look subtle and normal

3. Either LINEAR or SEMI OPEN WORLD missions, wherever story takes us, infiltrating an Abstergo base to retrieve something, sneaking into Abstergo building and to Assassinate Templar masters or agents, hacking, sabotage.

Like really story driven game not some crazy idea of open world modern day, engaging and epic connected to what is happening now, Juno is about to start the takeover soon just so many possibilities.

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Uncharted is a game that is relatively set in modern times and it always tries to find a way to justify the action but even then in Uncharted 3...you have a gun chase beneath the sewers of London and that strained belief. Even the barfight at the start of the game should have brought Nathan and Sully to the police for a night in the slammer. Then that burning chateau in France, believe me the French government (hyper protective of their monuments) would be there in a jiffy. Likewise, in Syria you have a fort that is clearly Crac des Chevaliers, and a big rooftop car chase and that strained belief.

Uncharted got away with that mostly because of the jokey sub-Indiana Jones style...Indiana Jones got away by being set in the 40s and 50s. But realistically it doesn't make sense.

jellejackhammer
11-16-2015, 07:48 PM
keep it in the main games i say.
it's one of the main reasons i like ac so much,the blend with MD and memories.
it's the core of the story of ac and it's bacground (not as well executed but still) and to make it a game of it's own would remove that blend and the core of the series.
can you add gameplay to MD? ofcourse! but having a game on it's own would be to much of weight in context of what we are used to and would be a direct comparison to other main stream games in general.

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Just to clarify, my proposition isn't to remove MD from the main AC games- but to keep it similar to ACS, while the strictly modern games would go into significantly more detail on the goings on in the AC modern world. This idea was largely spawned by the General of the Cross thread, and my frustration with wanting a lot more exposure to the modern AC goings-on.

dxsxhxcx
11-16-2015, 08:34 PM
It does not have to be open world it never would be, it can be semi open-world or linear, open world does not make game good and amazing, all it needs is great immersive, race against time story.

1. Third Person Protagonist (Playable obviously, female or male)

2. Hideout (Where we interact with characters like dialogues etc, pick our gear for the mission for example/ Drone tech, modern military cross bow, we can still have hidden blade, EMP grade tech nothing over the top we don't need firearms and some crazy crap after all we have to look subtle and normal

3. Either LINEAR or SEMI OPEN WORLD missions, wherever story takes us, infiltrating an Abstergo base to retrieve something, sneaking into Abstergo building and to Assassinate Templar masters or agents, hacking, sabotage.

Like really story driven game not some crazy idea of open world modern day, engaging and epic connected to what is happening now, Juno is about to start the takeover soon just so many possibilities.

Uncharted is a game that is relatively set in modern times and it always tries to find a way to justify the action but even then in Uncharted 3...you have a gun chase beneath the sewers of London and that strained belief. Even the barfight at the start of the game should have brought Nathan and Sully to the police for a night in the slammer. Then that burning chateau in France, believe me the French government (hyper protective of their monuments) would be there in a jiffy. Likewise, in Syria you have a fort that is clearly Crac des Chevaliers, and a big rooftop car chase and that strained belief.

Uncharted got away with that mostly because of the jokey sub-Indiana Jones style...Indiana Jones got away by being set in the 40s and 50s. But realistically it doesn't make sense.

I know it doesn't need to be open world and I'm aware that it certainly wouldn't work, you'll probably find some old posts of mine where I say exactly that when people talk about a modern AC, the thing is, I bet that what many people would expect from an AC game is exactly that, an open world game set during the modern times with copy-pasted gameplay from the historical portion of the game, I can already see the hundreds of post accusing Ubisoft of selling AC' soul to the devil by turning it into a poor version of Splinter Cell (in a similar way people did with AC4 when it was first released by calling it Pirate's Creed, in a pejorative way, when the naval gameplay took the spotlight).

This also is not about giving or not a pass to AC because other companies have already crossed that bridge, it is about how much I'm willing to sacrifice for it, what you need to understand is that my mindset while playing AC is COMPLETELY different from my mindset playing other games, if I jumped from a skyscraper (without a parachute) into a car to escape the police and lived to tell the story while playing GTA, I would burst out laughing and most likely try to repeat this feat, with AC I try not to rely on my suspension of disbelief to make certain things make sense as much as I can, that's why AC1 is my favorite game and IMO the most immersive AC to date, while it certainly had its share of fantasy and impossibility (like all games have), and flaws (lots of them, but this isn't the point now), (IMO) it tried not to go overboard with it (especially if compared with its successors), making it easier for me to accept certain things that would be impossible or ridiculous otherwise..

phoenix-force411
11-16-2015, 09:32 PM
It should stay, but give a much, much better reason for needing the Animus. We need a Modern Day game, because we're not learning anything too relevant with the Animus.

m4r-k7
11-16-2015, 10:59 PM
I think a MD game wouldn't work. I mean its the History + the Modern Day that makes Assassins Creed. You strip one away and you don't have Assassins Creed anymore.

ze_topazio
11-17-2015, 01:10 AM
Would buy it used at a cheap price.