PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the game being in widescreen???

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 10:46 PM
i have heard that the entire game is in widescreen to keep the cinematic feel to it........do you think this is a bad thing (it might be for me because i have a small tv screen that i play my xbox on and it might be hard to see some things if it is not fullscreen)........i'm not going to let this stop me getting the game, though, but it still is something to thing about

Message Edited on 10/23/0305:47PM by Legolas813

XyZspineZyX
10-23-2003, 10:46 PM
i have heard that the entire game is in widescreen to keep the cinematic feel to it........do you think this is a bad thing (it might be for me because i have a small tv screen that i play my xbox on and it might be hard to see some things if it is not fullscreen)........i'm not going to let this stop me getting the game, though, but it still is something to thing about

Message Edited on 10/23/0305:47PM by Legolas813

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 12:16 AM
I hadn't heard that but hope that the game will be in widescreen. The rectangle has always presented a more interesting view rather than a near-square in the movies. It offers agreater sense of expanse and more intriguing placement of characters or action. I feel for the small TV owners but perhaps after you get the game, you can save up over time and pick up a 32-inch TV for about $500 or so. As I said in another thread, I wish for the day when interactive games are at the same level of quality films, both in content and appearance, and all my favorite memorable, artistic films have been in letterbox.

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 12:39 AM
i can't really buy a big tv because i live in a small college dorm......not much space for a tv......just a little bookshelf/dresser thing next to my bed that i have a little tv on top of

XyZspineZyX
10-24-2003, 01:16 AM
Oh, I understand. Well, before you start feeling any worse about the small TV, remember this young one. When I was in college (early 80s), we were playing Atari Pong, interactive football games consisted of X's and O's, and then a small little ball with a mouth came out so you could chase other little Pacmen. In a few weeks, you will be able to direct a talking character through all sorts of action moves, travel to different environments, not to mention planets, and even perhaps get a little sentimental about the story and its characters. Just enjoy what you have and have a good laugh when your kid complains about how his college dorm room is too small to handle the holographs in his new hologame!

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2003, 01:36 AM
I think the wide-screen on a small TV shouldn't be a problem. What I saw in the demo is that everything is pretty clear-cut while also being realistic in a graphic arts sort of way... that sounds contradictory, doesn't it? hmm

The graphics are beautiful while not limiting navigation, and instead of squeezing things into the wide-screen shape, it looks like the control they give you over the camera will let you comfortably see everything you need to see. So I doubt the wide-screen will do much more than add to the cinematic appeal and nicely compliment the game art.

Message Edited on 10/27/0304:38PM by Eyelash_Viper

XyZspineZyX
10-29-2003, 02:36 AM
I agree. Of course, I'm not one of those cursed with a very small TV, but still I think the potential you get out of it being in that format is great, especially if you're lucky enough to have an HDTV to play around with. (not that I am)

XyZspineZyX
11-16-2003, 06:35 AM
Personally, I'm not crazy about playing the game in 16:9 because I'll be playing it on PC. I don't mind the cinematic parts being 16:9, in fact, I like that. However, movies are in this format because movie screens are designed for that dimension. If you are cutting off parts of the screen that you can take advantage of, I personally see that as poor design. Most tv's are still 4:3 as well as most monitors. This game is so beautiful, I'd like to see it as big as possible, especially the parts that I'm "playing." During the demo, I didn't know what was going on. Was I playing, had the game actually started? Felt very wierd to me, and generally I didn't think it helped make it feel more cinematic, just more limiting. Like I was wearing blinders or something.

XyZspineZyX
11-19-2003, 08:34 AM
I see it as a waste. TVs have low enough resolution as it is, and they cut off a quarter? We've got the pixel's, use'em

XyZspineZyX
11-20-2003, 11:20 AM
I feel sorry for those who think there TV is too small, but if u talk about the pixels of a TV, this ain't a lot.
TV's just suck in my opinion. I only use my 72CM TV screen for games and movies, couse it's a larger then by 21" monitor. Not for the detail.

Maybe this resolution issue pushes us to get more and more HDTV's. I'm from holland, no HDTV here yet, which sucks big time. They realy should push it up a bit.

XyZspineZyX
12-01-2003, 10:39 AM
I got no real complaints about it, though the images is off centre on my tv (and my mates telly) and results in a small margin of black down one side. Doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the image placement on ps2 witch is a real shame.

However It would be nice to choose between 4:3 and real 16:9 (not just a fixed letterbox like the game does it - remember goldeneye on the n64?). It's a real shame you cant because you could regain some of resolution back on a wide screen TV by rendering in 16:9.

However due the game been letterboxed as apposed to a 16:9 you really only need a SDTV. The way the game currently renders it sadly wouldn't look any better on ever SD or HD TV's then what your seeing now on a 4:3 TV now but one could kiss could by to them screen hogging back bars if we did http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif