PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs "trenchcoat" is a mockery to the franchise

Deezl-V
11-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Seriously, this really pissed me off. The brotherhood/assassins should be wearing robes. The trenchcoat Jacob is wearing is just a slap in the face to the franchise. I don't like it at all. I'm actually using Evie way more because of it. I want to feel and look like I came from the brotherhood with wearing the robes.

Now it feels like it's becoming too modern that the next games/protagonists soon is going to be wearing suits and become a hitman game.

Stop it and bring back the respect this franchise should have (robes for their assassins) cuz I don't feel like I'm part of the brotherhood anymore and that's not what this game is all about.

phoenix-force411
11-06-2015, 11:13 PM
And yet, you don't mention how about everyone in Ezio's life did not have an assassin robe, but wore what they wanted to wear while the protagonist wore ridiculously suspicious robes. :rolleyes: So what! You think giving them assassin robes is going to make people respect the franchise again? Nope! This franchise has already lost so much respect that it would be a miracle if it ever reached its popularity like back in the older days. The games should be going forward, not backwards. The fact that we are still in a freakin' Animus shows just how much we've actually progressed.

Steelray25
11-06-2015, 11:25 PM
The robes need to go away anyway.

They made sense in the first AC. But are completely out of place in the rest of the games. How are you supposed to be just another face in the crowd when your attire screams, "ASSASSIN! ASSASSIN OVER HERE?!"

I understand the look is iconic and have no doubt Ubisoft wants some aesthetic to carry over. But Assassin robes should only be something they wear in private meeting / ceremonies. They should look like anyone else any other time.

/gasp! Rebecca and Shaun don't wear robes either!!! Nor did Lucy, Desmond or William Miles, etc etc.

SixKeys
11-06-2015, 11:27 PM
The robes need to go away anyway.

They made sense in the first AC. But are completely out of place in the rest of the games. How are you supposed to be just another face in the crowd when your attire screams, "ASSASSIN! ASSASSIN OVER HERE?!"

I understand the look is iconic and have no doubt Ubisoft wants some aesthetic to carry over. But Assassin robes should only be something they wear in private meeting / ceremonies. They should look like anyone else any other time.

/gasp! Rebecca and Shaun don't wear robes either!!! Nor did Lucy, Desmond or William Miles, etc etc.

^ This. Arno didn't wear robes either (neither did anyone else in the French brotherhood).

cawatrooper9
11-06-2015, 11:29 PM
In this modern age, we may not be as literal as our ancestors. But our seal is no less permanent.
- Mario Auditore, Assassins Creed 2

This is why I don't really take an issue when the Assassins are adapted to their times. After all, what other institution is exactly as it was when it began? Things adapt, and the time hops in the AC series seem to accentuate these discrepancies, but they make sense when you think about it.

JamesFaith007
11-06-2015, 11:53 PM
And how many assassins didn't wear robe in AC2 ?

Paola, Mario, La Volpe (only hood), Antonio, Bartolomeo, Machiavelli, Teodora.

Obviously robe isn't absolutely necessary for very long time.

Deezl-V
11-06-2015, 11:59 PM
what I mean is that the game is moving forward too much that the robes do fall out of place. I'm not saying being the robes back while still moving forward, I mean it needs to go back when the robes made sense. Either ancient China, Egypt, Japan, Greece, whatever. The point is, this game is gonna become like Hitman and we are going to be wearing suits.

And what do you mean Arno didn't have robes? He did. Everyone had robes (Altair, Ezio, Conner & Edward both had modernized version but still robes, Arno as well were modernized but Jacob? That's a freaking trenchcoat. It was basically a uniform back then, but Jacob is like wearing whatever he wants. And that's wrong and annoying.

Consus_E
11-07-2015, 12:21 AM
Do Ezio's outfits even count as "Robes"? I always thought of them as more of tunics, with puffy sleeves.

Meowrynn
11-07-2015, 01:50 AM
what I mean is that the game is moving forward too much that the robes do fall out of place.

I dont think because 'we are in the modern era bs' is why jacob isn't wearing robes. You have a point, I mean in syndicate evie, henry greene and their father's friend etc.. all wears freaking robes while only jacob wears a jacket/trench coat variant and I'm like wuuuut? but after reading the in game description of 'just jacob' outfit, it makes sense now. It says there Jacob doesn't like flashier outfits. So me think that he despise assassin robes. well but you see in the master assassin variant it is now a robe.

Or.. Ubisoft made it so that Jacob looks more like a gang leader. (yep ubisoft is obsessed about realism in this game that they forgotten what realism actually means.)

SixKeys
11-07-2015, 01:55 AM
And what do you mean Arno didn't have robes? He did. Everyone had robes (Altair, Ezio, Conner & Edward both had modernized version but still robes, Arno as well were modernized but Jacob? That's a freaking trenchcoat. It was basically a uniform back then, but Jacob is like wearing whatever he wants. And that's wrong and annoying.

Arno wears a long coat and a waistcoat typical to the era.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5b/2f/e2/5b2fe2a9d0cc8ea71217df9c398bbc91.jpg

As long as we're talking trenchcoats, Arno's outfit seem to fall under that definition as well.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/32218664049_1/New-2014-Winter-British-Double-Breasted-Wool-font-b-Coat-b-font-Men-s-Jackets-Fashion.jpg

Consus_E
11-07-2015, 03:12 AM
Connor's outfit was a jacket...

Namikaze_17
11-07-2015, 03:46 AM
Since Alta´r, the robes have gotten so played out and outdated in terms of both realism, and one's suspension of disbelief.

Jacob, on the other hand, simply pulls the finger to the "tradition" - (something even Alta´r thought couldn't last forever) - and simply goes out of his way to look as commonly among the people, while still attending to his duties. That's what 'hiding in plain sight' truly means - to bring no attention to yourself or the brotherhood, and honestly, I think some fans have become delusioned with that meaning in regards to the robes. But I suppose that since Ezio's era, the assassins focusing more on flashy looks and making public statements, makes it apparent that they have grown to prefer conspicuousness to practicality.

But yeah, less robes, more trenchcoats and other clothing. :cool:

D.I.D.
11-07-2015, 04:26 AM
The point is, this game is gonna become like Hitman and we are going to be wearing suits.

YES, PLEASE

And what do you mean Arno didn't have robes? He did.

No he didn't. He had Parisian clothes with a hood added on, and it looked stupid. Without the hood, those clothes would have looked much better (and Bellec's outfit did).

Wolfmeister1010
11-07-2015, 04:32 AM
What are "robes" even, lol.

I love Jacob's outfit. It very well blends assassin like attire with the period style clothing. When the hood is up, its amazing.

Although the gunslinger outfit is still my favorite. It is the most like the debut trailer outfit (shown for a few frames with the assassins symbol on the back.

Deezl-V
11-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Yes Arno has "robes" but a modernized version of it. It might still be a jacket but it's altered to make it look like the proper attire that an assassin should wear in this franchise...that's what I mean. Even Edward's attire was modernized and altered to look like a brotherhood uniform. Even Conners jacket was modernized and altered to fit the assassin look. Evie's attire is awesome. So why does Jacob have a trenchcoat? Not altered whatsoever. Even the Indian assassin (can't recall his name right now) has the proper attire. Evie does, but Jacob does not.

It just looks rejarded.

Oh and about Arno, you could customize his outfit to get solid looking clothing as an assassin in this franchise, whereas Jacob has nothing other than a damn obvious plain trenchcoat. The main point is, this game should KEEP certain things that should never change (modernize it and alter it as I said like Edwards and Conners)\ like the assassins attire, the eagle sound from pre-unity when doing a leap of faith, the hood itself, entering a restricted zone (loved that sound and was sour when it wasn't in unity and not in syndicate), the hidden blade kill sound. These things should stay true to the franchise. That's what makes assassins creed assassins creed. The iconic little things.

Consus_E
11-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Evie wore a coat too, it just so happened to be closed and it had a cape over it...

SofaJockey
11-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Rebecca and Shaun don't wear robes.
I find these concerns rather silly.

Consus_E
11-07-2015, 11:25 AM
The Templars are more closely related to the church, so if anything they should be the ones who use robes as a uniform.

Meowrynn
11-07-2015, 01:09 PM
LOOL so many misconceptions, let's go back to the definition of robes and coats from Merriam-Webster to enlighten everyone shall we?

Robes- a long, loose or flowing gown or outer garment worn by men or women as ceremonial dress,

Coat-A sleeved outer garment extending from the shoulders to the waist or below.

Trench coat-A belted raincoat in a military style, having straps on the shoulders and deep pockets.

Cat-is a small, typically furry, domesticated, and carnivorous mammal. (sorry I had to)

D.I.D.
11-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes Arno has "robes" but a modernized version of it. It might still be a jacket but it's altered to make it look like the proper attire that an assassin should wear in this franchise...that's what I mean. Even Edward's attire was modernized and altered to look like a brotherhood uniform. Even Conners jacket was modernized and altered to fit the assassin look. Evie's attire is awesome. So why does Jacob have a trenchcoat? Not altered whatsoever. Even the Indian assassin (can't recall his name right now) has the proper attire. Evie does, but Jacob does not.

It just looks rejarded.

Oh and about Arno, you could customize his outfit to get solid looking clothing as an assassin in this franchise, whereas Jacob has nothing other than a damn obvious plain trenchcoat. The main point is, this game should KEEP certain things that should never change (modernize it and alter it as I said like Edwards and Conners)\ like the assassins attire, the eagle sound from pre-unity when doing a leap of faith, the hood itself, entering a restricted zone (loved that sound and was sour when it wasn't in unity and not in syndicate), the hidden blade kill sound. These things should stay true to the franchise. That's what makes assassins creed assassins creed. The iconic little things.

They weren't, sorry. Maybe your Arno looked a bit more like that if you chose only long coats or something -- a bit -- but if you take the hood away then you'd be making the same complaints about Arno. Many other people's Arnos had short coats or even no coats, feathers and big old Prince collars, military uniforms, chainmail, and their silhouettes did not have the Ezio form anymore.

The other assassins we see rarely wear the superhero costume. The major NPCs only wear it in ceremonial scenes, and that's how it ought to be. I've said before that you could add real power to certain major assassinations if the protagonist only donned the outfit to make a particular statement about particular kills, as a message to the Templars.

It would do the series an enormous amount of good to the series if every assassin had a different look appropriate to their time. Right now, at a glance people look at screenshots and insist nothing has changed, that it's the same thing in a different city. Sometimes that's not wrong, but a lot genuinely has altered in the games and yet you still see people claiming that if you've played AC1, you've played them all. Give us a character coherent with his/her time setting, and I think it would be a big improvement. I don't think that's what Evie and Jacob achieve (and neither did Ezio); the twins' clothes are extremely anachronistic, but they're at least a step in the right direction. I don't like playing as a character who looks completely out of place in their own world. Assassin outfits are like playing GTA with a rainbow afro wig to me.

Consus_E
11-07-2015, 08:46 PM
WARNING! contains image of 2016's protagonisthttp://talkspas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/bathrobes.jpg
New protagonists for 2016 (See the robes)

SixKeys
11-07-2015, 08:53 PM
The main point is, this game should KEEP certain things that should never change (modernize it and alter it as I said like Edwards and Conners)\ like the assassins attire, the eagle sound from pre-unity when doing a leap of faith, the hood itself, entering a restricted zone (loved that sound and was sour when it wasn't in unity and not in syndicate), the hidden blade kill sound. These things should stay true to the franchise. That's what makes assassins creed assassins creed. The iconic little things.

So basically, focus more on unimportant minutiae rather than driving the series forward and trying to make each new entry stand out from its predecessors. No thanks. AC is supposed to be about immersion, but all these "iconic" things that fans insist on carrying from one title to the next are restricting devs' creativity.

Farlander1991
11-07-2015, 08:58 PM
So basically, focus more on unimportant minutiae rather than driving the series forward and trying to make each new entry stand out from its predecessors. No thanks. AC is supposed to be about immersion, but all these "iconic" things that fans insist on carrying from one title to the next are restricting devs' creativity.

At least fans don't demand every Assassin to have a lip scar anymore :p

VestigialLlama4
11-07-2015, 09:01 PM

To quote The Great Eagle himself:

''It's made me realize that our tactics, too, must change. It means an end to our fortresses. To our penchant for spectacular displays of public assassinations. We must weave our webs quietly. And we must do so differently than we have in the past. Though I ask my brothers now to abandon their rituals, I do not ask that they abandon the creed. THIS is what makes us Assassins. Not the removal of a finger. Not a false promise of paradise. Not the prohibition of poison. Our duty is to the people, not to custom."

The bizarre thing is that even if Altair said this in the Codex and AC2 had Mario Auditore say, "In this modern age, we are not so literal as our ancestors" later games generally have the Assassins acting similar to how Altair said they shouldn't. You have Fortresses and mini-Masyafs, you have rituals and initiation rites, you have customs like white robes and hidden blade kills and other silliness.

Black Flag had Ah Tabai had a fortress in Tulum then Edward gives the Assassins the Inagua Mansion and Ah Tabai said that this is good but we should live with the people as Altair said...hmmm did you just read the Codex now?

Xstantin
11-07-2015, 09:22 PM
First it was hoods, now it's robes lmao :rolleyes:
Seriously though the look suits Jacob and fits the period (even if some stuff overdesigned a bit IMO)

Farlander1991
11-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Black Flag had Ah Tabai had a fortress in Tulum then Edward gives the Assassins the Inagua Mansion and Ah Tabai said that this is good but we should live with the people as Altair said...hmmm did you just read the Codex now?

To be fair, the Caribbean Assassin system was a good mix of both which actually fits the segmented nature of archipelago area. They had Bureaus in all the main settlements where Assassins where active, but they also had a central hub which was the center of their operations and the main brain. And it was hidden, so it's not like they've put a big sign 'WE ARE HERE'. That is, until Edward ****ed everything up.

VestigialLlama4
11-07-2015, 09:51 PM
To be fair, the Caribbean Assassin system was a good mix of both which actually fits the segmented nature of archipelago area. They had Bureaus in all the main settlements where Assassins where active, but they also had a central hub which was the center of their operations and the main brain. And it was hidden, so it's not like they've put a big sign 'WE ARE HERE'. That is, until Edward ****ed everything up.

There is that. Yeah, the Caribbean Archipelago would make it hard to spread out but even then Tulum which is on the tiny left corner of the map on the Yucatan Peninsula is hardly practical. Unless of course, and this isn't mentioned in the game, that Ah Tabai has jurisdiction over Mexico and Central America has a whole and the Caribbean is an offshoot for him. I think a better HQ should have been the mountains of Cuba...that's where Fidel and Che started their revolution after all. You know you have all these little caves and pirate coves around that you see briefly in the Underwater missions and elsewhere and they make a heck of a lot more sense I think as HQ property. The HQ in Freedom Cry of the Maroons is close to what I have in mind.

But basically the HQ of the Assassins tends to be off. In AC2, you had Monteriggioni, huge villa fortress in Tuscany that is basically screaming to be attacked and gets attacked at the start of AC2. There the defense is that they just put together Altair's Codex and the Isola Teverina in Brotherhood and how they run Rome is closer in spirit and letter to Altair's advise. In AC3, and Rogue, we have the Homestead, essentially a Superhero Lair with a mansion and a personal bay overlooking the cliff on which the house rests. It's really conspicuous. Unity is closer in style to Brotherhood with a vast underground lair underneath Sainte-Chappelle and it has a civilian front with Cafe-Theatre. Syndicate has this personal train that is too fantastic but also cool.

Farlander1991
11-07-2015, 10:10 PM
There is that. Yeah, the Caribbean Archipelago would make it hard to spread out but even then Tulum which is on the tiny left corner of the map on the Yucatan Peninsula is hardly practical.

Purely from navigation stand-point, yes. But it was a place away from any eyes that allows to train new recruits en masse, is a sanctuary for Assassins who go back from missions over the islands, so in terms of the whole operation it was pretty efficient. Let's not forget that until the Assassins were betrayed, they had the Templars on the run, the main reason being Templars had no idea where the Assassins were striking from and how they get new people and where they train and all that stuff.

Unless of course, and this isn't mentioned in the game, that Ah Tabai has jurisdiction over Mexico and Central America has a whole and the Caribbean is an offshoot for him. I think a better HQ should have been the mountains of Cuba...that's where Fidel and Che started their revolution after all. You know you have all these little caves and pirate coves around that you see briefly in the Underwater missions and elsewhere and they make a heck of a lot more sense I think as HQ property. The HQ in Freedom Cry of the Maroons is close to what I have in mind.

I would call Tulum actually more safe than those as an HQ, as these kind of places like caves and coves are the ones smugglers are always searching for, and the lot. Heck, we first see the Maroon HQ because the governor found it and ordered an attack.

Wolfmeister1010
11-07-2015, 10:39 PM
The confirmation bias in this thread is really irksome.

People have opinions. And in the end, we can complain all we want, but it is the stylistic choice of the devs.

Personally, I think the "Simply Jacob" outfit is the most amazing outfit in series history-it looks totally 100 percent authentic, it blends in marvelously, and it looks badass with the hood up.

What's the problem?

ze_topazio
11-07-2015, 10:57 PM
At least in Japan white robes will make perfect sense.

Deezl-V
11-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Some of you guys are confused on what I'm saying, I'm not saying the trenchcoat doesn't suit Jacob or looks bad, cuz it doesn't. It does look good and suits him, but I'm finding that the "brotherhood uniform" is mocked by his choice of attire. Look at Evie, she wears a jacket too, but then it's altered with something that goes over her chest and a small little cape. She looks like an assassin from the brotherhood, but Jacob does not, he looks like a street thug.

And that's what I mean, even Conner, Edward and Arno had modified and altered jackets with extra things added to his attire to look authentic.
I'm saying that the game is moving forward too far that it's soon going to have our assassins wear suits and it's gonna be a hitman game. If I want to play hitman, I'll go play hitman. I want to play assassins creed.

RzaRecta357
11-08-2015, 01:13 AM
Some of you guys are confused on what I'm saying, I'm not saying the trenchcoat doesn't suit Jacob or looks bad, cuz it doesn't. It does look good and suits him, but I'm finding that the "brotherhood uniform" is mocked by his choice of attire. Look at Evie, she wears a jacket too, but then it's altered with something that goes over her chest and a small little cape. She looks like an assassin from the brotherhood, but Jacob does not, he looks like a street thug.

And that's what I mean, even Conner, Edward and Arno had modified and altered jackets with extra things added to his attire to look authentic.
I'm saying that the game is moving forward too far that it's soon going to have our assassins wear suits and it's gonna be a hitman game. If I want to play hitman, I'll go play hitman. I want to play assassins creed.

Well it seems you missed an important part of Jacobs character friend. He doesn't care about the Assassin's the same way that Evie does. He almost rebels against it as a teen I believe. Dude literally is in it for the athletics and stabbing and chaos creating.

Also, it just fits with the times and his master assassin outfit is practically robes. The hood robe thing is more of a feed assassin thing. Look at Galena ( Burn out forgets how it's spelled of course).. Massive time in the animus.. Learning from ancestors and she likes to rock the hood more. Field assassin thing.

Meowrynn
11-08-2015, 01:22 AM
Well it seems you missed an important part of Jacobs character friend. He doesn't care about the Assassin's the same way that Evie does. He almost rebels against it as a teen I believe. Dude literally is in it for the athletics and stabbing and chaos creating.

wait wut? you mean he's rescuing chilfren from factories, killing templars, bount hunt and sh!t just for............. fun?

MY WHOLE WORLD IS A LIE

Namikaze_17
11-08-2015, 02:30 AM
She looks like an assassin from the brotherhood, but Jacob does not, he looks like a street thug.

Isn't that the point? To NOT look like they're apart of a secret brotherhood?!

But hey, you got your aesthetic preferences. That's cool.

Let's just forget the tenet or what Alta´r ever said.

Wolfmeister1010
11-08-2015, 03:12 AM
wait wut? you mean he's rescuing chilfren from factories, killing templars, bount hunt and sh!t just for............. fun?

MY WHOLE WORLD IS A LIE

To reduce the gang influence and build his own gang, lol. That's the point. He wants to rid of the templars, and he wants the justice for the people, but he doesn't care at all about the creed or the greater "battle" between templars and assassins.

Meowrynn
11-08-2015, 08:22 AM
To reduce the gang influence and build his own gang, lol. That's the point. He wants to rid of the templars, and he wants the justice for the people, but he doesn't care at all about the creed or the greater "battle" between templars and assassins.

Hmmm haven't finished syndicate yet so I have to see this for myself but come to think of it Arno is the exact opposite of Jacob. He doesn't care about people not one bit, he only wants revenge for his step father and also to impregnate elise. xD

SixKeys
11-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Hmmm haven't finished syndicate yet so I have to see this for myself but come to think of it Arno is the exact opposite of Jacob. He doesn't care about people not one bit, he only wants revenge for his step father and also to impregnate elise. xD

Pretty much. Arno is probably the most selfish assassin. Ezio starts out as an avenger but grows up to respect the creed eventually. Edward starts out mocking the brotherhood because he doesn't understand it, but comes to humble himself. Arno's motivation throughout the entire game is to protect his girlfriend, who doesn't even want his protection.

VestigialLlama4
11-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Pretty much. Arno is probably the most selfish assassin. Ezio starts out as an avenger but grows up to respect the creed eventually. Edward starts out mocking the brotherhood because he doesn't understand it, but comes to humble himself. Arno's motivation throughout the entire game is to protect his girlfriend, who doesn't even want his protection.

And unlike Arno, Jacob likes poor people.

RaggedTyper
11-08-2015, 08:26 PM
And unlike Arno, Jacob likes poor people.

That's not exactly true. Marrianne was hardly rich and he came across her one day training and decided to help her take back her home.
But yes, generally he was v selfish. I mean, he let a man get his foot sawed off for the sake of fufilling his vendetta and knowingly worked with a pedophile. He and Elise were well suited.

Jacob actually seemed to care about liberating the people and you see that in his assassination speeches. His flaw is that he takes things at face value, is easily flattered, is too trusting and therefore doesn't anaylse the situation beforehand. He stupidly allowed himself to be manipulated by Pearl Attaway because he was so determined to get his target. I mean, red flags should have gone off the moment she asked him to kill somebody. Then rather than telling Evie about what happened so they could work together to somehow take out Pearl whilst ensuring London transport didn't collapse he goes and offs Pearl as well! Likewise with killing Dr Elliotson.

Pairing up with a lunatic like Roth - which Evie advised not to do - was also 50 shades of stupid and you can see moments in Jacob's face when he looks worried at the thought of what Roth would do even before the big epic burning theatre/gay snog. Roth represents what Jacob could become if he goes too far so I think he saw himself in him (not like that). He seduced Jacob with all his talk about freedom but freedom for him just means anarchy.

I think Jacob is an interesting character, far more interesting than Arno and I would like to see more of him and his sister.

murphdawg1
11-09-2015, 05:10 AM

So Ezio is the first Avenger and not Captain America;)

I-Like-Pie45
11-09-2015, 05:14 AM
Why you gotta put a brotha down by dissin' his dope threads? Dressin' in his jammies like his sistah Bella won't make Jacob more of a G than he already is. Puttin' a brotha down like dis is just wack, yo.