PDA

View Full Version : It feels so dumb'd down

andy602
11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I'm devastated with how much i'm disliking the game. I'm a massive fan-boy of Anno it's by far my favourite series ever.

This, however is pretty bad it feels as though it's the first Anno ever made so you made it exclusively for newbies or even kids.
I could go on all day about how you screwed up on the best part of the game, resources and managing them.

Please, if you ever make another anno go back to the old style cause this hideous. Also go back in time i would love to see one based around imperial Japan, trading with other dynasties.

sahfaree
11-03-2015, 01:21 PM
I guess I don't understand what people mean, resource management is still there and I wouldn't say it's exclusively for newbies... the game starts getting progressively more difficult.

Rekalty
11-03-2015, 05:26 PM
While a lot of stuff in the game as been streamlined and made easier, like checking if you're producing enough goods to meet demand and exactly how much you need to build to meet demand is nice, yeah, a lot of stuff has been dumbed down. There's pretty much just one path though the game, completed it in 7 hours earlier today, can't really see what I could have done differently. Sure, could do the Cooperation HQ thing, but there's little point to it, game doesn't encourage you to keep playing after the story is concluded, and since it's the exact same story every single time...

ruuti0
11-03-2015, 06:43 PM
While a lot of stuff in the game as been streamlined and made easier, like checking if you're producing enough goods to meet demand and exactly how much you need to build to meet demand is nice, yeah, a lot of stuff has been dumbed down. There's pretty much just one path though the game, completed it in 7 hours earlier today, can't really see what I could have done differently. Sure, could do the Cooperation HQ thing, but there's little point to it, game doesn't encourage you to keep playing after the story is concluded, and since it's the exact same story every single time...

Are you saying that you played game throughout in 7 hours and there isn't anything new after that ?

If thats true, im probably not going to buy this game. I also loved continous mode (I played all previous Anno serious over 1000 hours, 95% time in Continous mode) in previous Anno games, which is also missing if im right.. ?

Can anybody else confirm this that you can play throughout all campaigns in Anno 2205 in 7 hours and after then there isn't anything new to do, expect playing excatly same campaigns again?

Zedlovski
11-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Im about 4 hours in. I have one temperate, one arctic and just started my first moon spot.... id say i have a lot left to do considering there is 3 of each and my first three are far from a level id like to even think about taking another map over. The whole game feels like one Continuous mode to me so far, I'm enjoying it.

I like the new way of keeping track of my resources, no more guessing and looking it up a wiki to see the out put. The biggest thing I miss is the random maps, but i understand why they aren't there. Hopefully they expanded on this in the future. With the game as is, i can see me sinking close to 100 hours, worth the $$ to me.

- Zed

ruuti0
11-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Im about 4 hours in. I have one temperate, one arctic and just started my first moon spot.... id say i have a lot left to do considering there is 3 of each and my first three are far from a level id like to even think about taking another map over. The whole game feels like one Continuous mode to me so far, I'm enjoying it.

I like the new way of keeping track of my resources, no more guessing and looking it up a wiki to see the out put. The biggest thing I miss is the random maps, but i understand why they aren't there. Hopefully they expanded on this in the future. With the game as is, i can see me sinking close to 100 hours, worth the $$ to me.

- Zed

So, how it works?

Can you play same campaing for 100 hours without it ending or do you always have to start same campaign from beginning and play it for "like 7 hours until its over" and start again ?

Severion
11-04-2015, 01:19 AM
The way it works is that you play on different maps, you'll start off playing in a temperate "normal" map then go do a combat mission on a different map if you want then go to an "Arctic" map for resource gathering. It's like going to a different island on 2070 to build your Scientist community except now it's on a different map entirely.

The maps are all connected though by the strategic map view... The big difference is where you used to trade between islands on the same map to transfer the resources with freight carriers, now you're trading the resources between different maps entirely. At anytime in a map you exit to the strategic view where you can see all your goods transfer routes between those maps and create new trade routes. You can load up a different map pretty quickly and I don't even have the game on an SSD. Whilst you're on one map, your other map is still functioning, gathering resources and money and stuff.

I'm not sure how the end-game works though, for a sort of free mode... It seems the entire game is like a free mode, you just get missions to progress along the campaign.

Rekalty
11-04-2015, 03:06 AM
Are you saying that you played game throughout in 7 hours and there isn't anything new after that ?

If thats true, im probably not going to buy this game. I also loved continous mode (I played all previous Anno serious over 1000 hours, 95% time in Continous mode) in previous Anno games, which is also missing if im right.. ?

Can anybody else confirm this that you can play throughout all campaigns in Anno 2205 in 7 hours and after then there isn't anything new to do, expect playing excatly same campaigns again?
Completing the storyline took me around 7 hours. There is stuff I did not do. Each of the 9 zones (3 Temperate, 3 Arctic, 3 Moon) all have their own quest-chain to unlock something that's going to benefit your gameplay in each zone, but most of them are pointless and have way too many boring "find x amount of item on the map, attach drone to your command vessel and locate x items/have it attack x enemies, bring x resource to quest-npc, maintain x amount of resource production/population for x minutes) and it just goes on forever, I really wouldn't call that additional gameplay, just pointless filler to try to extend the gameplay, without having to do actual content. Also, once you've completed the main-mission you get an objective to build your Headquarters, which requires you to get 150'000 residents of the highest tier in Temperate zones, which is just more busy work without actual content. I'm sure the HQ is pretty, but at that point I just gave up, there's far too much filler in the game and not enough content. (Not to mention that the framerate took a massive drop after playing more than 4 hours, after 6 is was almost unplayable. Sure, restarting the game fixed it, but it almost feels like the "You've played for 2 hours, you should take a break" messages the game gives you, were made because they knew it couldn't handle running for extended periods of time.)

I'm sure it's a matter of opinion, some are going to like all the facebook-games-inspired fetch quests, but I was expecting more from a full price game from a AAA developer.

On the positive note, I really don't think the game is all bad, they did improve a number of aspects of the game, resource management for one is a lot easier to keep track of, the GUI clearly shows if you you're spending more than you're producing, letting you quickly build new factories or upgrade your current ones to meet the demands, and the game does look very pretty. Also, being able to make 6x6 homes as well as 3x3 adds a bit more variety. Sure, each may only have 2-3 different models, but it's better than nothing.

So, how it works?

Can you play same campaing for 100 hours without it ending or do you always have to start same campaign from beginning and play it for "like 7 hours until its over" and start again ?
The game doesn't end when you've completed the main story line, so you're free to keep playing. But, it's the exact same storyline every time, and there is no random map generation going on, it's always the same 3 Temperate, 3 Arctic, 3 Moon zones, and the combat zones also repeat, there's a few unique ones related to the story, but apart from that you'll keep encountering the same combat zones over and over. Pretty much, you can experience everything the game has to offer, in one playthrough. Sure, it will be longer than the 7 hours of you want to do everything, I admire you if you have the patience to keep playing though.

Wintermist
11-04-2015, 03:55 AM
I don't think it's dumbed down, just easier to manage. Comparing it to Anno 2070, which had you playing more factions all at once making it feel more complex when it really was just more complicated to play. Here you also play, if you will, 3 factions but they're separated into different biomes instead. In Anno you traded between island, here you trade between maps. I'd say they're both as complex, one is just easier to manage.

Having said that though, this feels easier because you more quickly see what you need and what you don't have. We might need more balancing done to the game to make it punish us more, options for even less rewards and so on.

I'm fine with more entry levels to the game, more people can enjoy it, but give us even harder difficulty levels to satisfy even the most hardcore.

And don't forget, Anno 2070 didn't have all that it have now, at launch. Deep Ocean was added later, and we're getting more things coming for this game too, no doubt.

Exordatius
11-04-2015, 06:10 AM
I don't feel that it has been "dumb'd down" so much as it has been streamlined. Profit, spacial organisation, energy reserves and prioritisation are the main challenges of most Anno games. This is all still a worthy challenge, especially if you're playing it on the highest level of difficulty. What HAS been removed is the waiting period for changes to take effect. No longer do we have to wait for that trade ship to make it to the next port for the upgrades you've made to produce results.

The missions are not particularly complex, but they were not more complex or engaging in the last game, and it's not the main focus, so I'm not concerned about that.

I have nearly built my HQ on medium difficulty, and I'm yet to feel that the game has been lacking in any way.

King fiShiZ
11-04-2015, 08:42 AM
so I'm not concerned about that.

I have nearly built my HQ on medium difficulty, and I'm yet to feel that the game has been lacking in any way.
And what if your done? You replay the Game? Yeah right, there is not Endless Game, you can only play the Story with the same Maps again...

Story/Game is OK, but I'm missing a few Things. ~12h for 60$, im Ok with that.

andrew_m50
11-04-2015, 11:31 AM
For those who have already finished the main campaign.
Are there any kind of natural disasters beyond the asteroid falling on the moon?

MortalLucifer
11-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Andrew, nope. After you build hq, story ends. And nothing new happens

Rekalty
11-04-2015, 02:10 PM
For those who have already finished the main campaign.
Are there any kind of natural disasters beyond the asteroid falling on the moon?
Nope, no disasters of any kind. You can spend a few hours getting to the HQ, which just turns out to be a giant Ornament, costs a lot, high upkeep, but serves no actual purpose.

Mr_Muscle
11-04-2015, 04:51 PM
(...)game doesn't encourage you to keep playing after the story is concluded, and since it's the exact same story every single time...

Have you ever played anno before? For real, have you? Post count suggest you did and you say such nonsense. Most of Anno fans just skipped the story and went straight to the endless game mode and yet you say there's nothing to do after you complete the story mode. When you finish the main quest line you most likely haven't bought any other zones (it's not rtequired to complete quests) and populated 1/3 of those starting ones. This time instead of separated game modes we have all-in-one thing which is both good and bad thing, but if you say there's nothing to do after the story I just ROTFL. Not a game for you, it's like someone playing diablo completes campaign ans says he doesn't know what to do. Give me a break.

As for the other stuff mentioned here aka "dumbed down", I don't feel like that's as bad as people describe. I looked at steam reviews and 33% of players did not recommend the game because they think it's been simplified too much. While I do miss classic load&ship, buildings with radius of effect, warehouses etc, I think we might have a little break from that. MIght look simple at start but it's getting harder down the road when you colonize new zones, and you can have 9 of them. You won't get that after 7h, that's for sure. It's a deffinitely a game I'd recommend to anno fans because the main thing is still there - we build the biggest stable economy possible, just in an innovative way. I enjoy the game so far, and plan to spend many hours building on every sinlgle map available.