PDA

View Full Version : Ceremony of the Keys - a cool little detail

SenseHomunculus
11-01-2015, 03:41 PM
During the mission "A Thorne in the Side" in which you infiltrate the Tower of London, there's a cutscene when you reach your first vantage point. In that cutscene the Chief Yoeman Warder (of the Beefeaters) presents the Tower's keys to a sentry who then allows him to pass. It's only a couple of seconds and easy to miss.

This is taken from a historical and present-day ceremony called "The Ceremony of the Keys (http://changing-guard.com/ceremony-of-the-keys.html)" that's been taking place at the Tower nightly since the 14th century. In fact it's the oldest continuous military ceremony in the world.

If you ever visit London, you can get tickets to see the ceremony which is very cool and highly recommended. Difficult to get, though, since they went to e-tickets recently (it's currently about a 6-month wait) and the number of tickets issued nightly is VERY limited.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it's probably my favorite historical cutscene detail in the game. I wish they would add that sort of stuff more often. It's the sort of detail that gets you really immersed and invested in these AC games. The great thing about this particular cutscene is that, even though the scene is 150 years old, you know for sure that the movements and words used are 100% accurate, because they are a military tradition.

I kinda wish they had carried on with the ceremony until the Last Post bugle call. That would have been good.

I once saw The Last Post played at the Menin Gate at Ypres, as it is every day, for the fallen of WW1. I was amazed to see, when it finished, my wife, who is American, was in tears. It's a very emotional thing.

SenseHomunculus
11-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Yeah, it's probably my favorite historical cutscene detail in the game. I wish they would add that sort of stuff more often. It's the sort of detail that gets you really immersed and invested in these AC games. The great thing about this particular cutscene is that, even though the scene is 150 years old, you know for sure that the movements and words used are 100% accurate, because they are a military tradition.

Exactly. And you know precisely at what time that mission is taking place, too.