PDA

View Full Version : Is the story any good? *NO SPOILERS PLEASE*

RADAR__4077
10-30-2015, 05:42 PM
What the title says.

After the abomination that was Unity, I have gone from a loyal fan to a cautious skeptic.

Some of you may remember my rants about how strongly I disliked the broken, tedious, online methods for unlocking content, along with the story that wasted a golden opportunity for historical significance, and completely lacked any modern day significance.

So, before I even consider buying a used copy of Syndicate out of the bargain bin down the road, is the story any good?

Does it have a strong modern day story that actually serves a purpose and gives you reason to use the animus?

Are the characters interesting and driven? (unlike Ezio 2.0 who doesn't even care about the most traumatic event of his childhood)

Does it make good use of the historic events? (not just putting a few mobs here and there then showing an occasional guillotine during a cut scene)

p.s.
All of the despised online stuff, i.e. apps, club competitions, etc have been left out of Syndicate, correct?

dimbismp
10-30-2015, 06:22 PM
What the title says.

After the abomination that was Unity, I have gone from a loyal fan to a cautious skeptic.

Some of you may remember my rants about how strongly I disliked the broken, tedious, online methods for unlocking content, along with the story that wasted a golden opportunity for historical significance, and completely lacked any modern day significance.

So, before I even consider buying a used copy of Syndicate out of the bargain bin down the road, is the story any good?

Does it have a strong modern day story that actually serves a purpose and gives you reason to use the animus?

Are the characters interesting and driven? (unlike Ezio 2.0 who doesn't even care about the most traumatic event of his childhood)

Does it make good use of the historic events? (not just putting a few mobs here and there then showing an occasional guillotine during a cut scene)

p.s.
All of the despised online stuff, i.e. apps, club competitions, etc have been left out of Syndicate, correct?

The MD is actually a lot better than Acu,and good overall.However,if you have big expectations,then you might be left disappointed.Like ACU,the MD is cutscene only.However,this time there are a lot more and meaningful cutscenes.We get old friends back and in the meanwhile new characters are introduced(one pretty important one for the AC lore too).Finally,the ending moves things forward.

The characters are interesting.They are not my favourite,but they are good.

There are no historical events as far as i am aware of.The time period is a time of peace,plus,the game takes place in one year,so...The targets are all fictional too(some of them are quite interesting though,especially the Templar Grand Master).However,the city is depicted fairly realistically and also many historical characters serve as your allies(some even have their own set of side missions).

All in all,i think that the story is good.I give the historical part a 7/10 and the whole thing a 7,5/10.However it is not great.If you are looking for a dark story or a story with twists and turns,then you are not going to find it here.

VestigialLlama4
10-30-2015, 06:36 PM
The targets are all fictional too...

Not true. 3 of the Templars are real figures : David Brewster, John Elliotson and James Brudenell, all of them died in 1868

dimbismp
10-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Not true. 3 of the Templars are real figures : David Brewster, John Elliotson and James Brudenell, all of them died in 1868

Oh,my bad then..

And what about the "the game is too modern.The targets will be fictional,so that we will avoid being sued by the victim's family" quote?

RzaRecta357
10-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Personally as a fan from the start this really rejuvenated the series for me. Jacob and Evie are both great and have their quirks. The fighting once mastered is brutal and fun. The time period is amazing.

It really nails that: Assassin's Creed can work anywhere as long as you really commit to the time period ala pirate ships or carriages and stuff. The rope launcher feels good and makes sense for the time period in an Assassiny Creed way.

Rafe Harwood
10-30-2015, 08:03 PM
It's ok. However, if you didn't like Unity story, you probably won't like this one much more.

It's cool though :)

RADAR__4077
10-30-2015, 08:10 PM
What about the first civilisation and Juno?

Is it just more of the same vague sages, and sound bytes unlocked by collectibles, like it has been since black flag? Or is there some actual progress in that part of the story?

Also is there any direct connection with Rogue or Unity?

Sorry for all of the questions. I miss the days when AC had multiple intertwined storylines, with depth to each one.

Rafe Harwood
10-30-2015, 10:58 PM
Seriously, you ask for no spoilers and then ask us to give everyone the spoilers? lol

Play it. It's Assassins Creed :)

Journey93
10-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Its very meh (not necessarily bad but just very medicore). Definitely reminded me of Unity in some ways. Very rushed and the ending especially was disappointing and anti-climatic.

Unlike Black Flag which was a good mix (not too serious, not too funny), its way too lighthearted. There wasn't much tension, I didn't feel invested in the Twin's story.

The MD storyline is better than Unity (which really isn't that hard to do) but its still just some cutscenes and not playable (not even a mute)

London just like Paris is a joy to explore though, so if you just want some fun then I guess its worth buying.

Eurostar7
10-31-2015, 02:29 AM
It's ok. However, if you didn't like Unity story, you probably won't like this one much more.

It's cool though :)

+1 to this.

They used the same formula with the story, to get to the same end-goal (finding a piece of eden), and the modern day thing is a little better than ACU, but both games modern day story are much worse than AC BF and AC Rogue (i prefer an interactive modern day story, not just cutscenes)