PDA

View Full Version : Bomber dispositions at home base?

Chuck_Older
03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Can anyone post some info, or a link with photos, of how Bomber squadrons of the USAAF/USAAC would generally disperse their aircraft on the ground in a rear area, and in a relatively forward area?

As usual with things like FB and OFP, I get really into the mission editors for my own amusement sometimes... I "played" FB for 5 hours yesterday, and I never flew a mission or a plane- I messed around with the FMB, making a mid '44 forward USAAF fighter sqaudron base on a grass field, with an accompanying tent and shack 'city', and Nissen huts for a ready room, motor pool and medical facility, and a few klicks away on a big concrete base, a heavy bombardment group's base that already had that stuff on the map but in permanent buildings...and then I realised, my knowledge is almost strictly US fighters, I have no real notion of realistic bomber dispersal on the ground. I'd like to make it as realistic as reasonably possible.

Occasionally I really get into mission making, just for myself. No real complex missions, but I like to mix and match scenarios and ideas in general type mission designs, like a scramble mission (for which I made these two US bases- P-51s from one base take off and defend the other from an incoming German air raid), to see what will work and how it will work and what's the simplest solution for any problems, so that when I make a mission for real to fly, it goes off smoothly- otherwise I play with FMB for 5 hours. Not that I mind it, but I like to fly my missions, too. So I need info on how US bombers were parked at base for after-mission check and maintenance.
Thanks in advance

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

Chuck_Older
03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Can anyone post some info, or a link with photos, of how Bomber squadrons of the USAAF/USAAC would generally disperse their aircraft on the ground in a rear area, and in a relatively forward area?

As usual with things like FB and OFP, I get really into the mission editors for my own amusement sometimes... I "played" FB for 5 hours yesterday, and I never flew a mission or a plane- I messed around with the FMB, making a mid '44 forward USAAF fighter sqaudron base on a grass field, with an accompanying tent and shack 'city', and Nissen huts for a ready room, motor pool and medical facility, and a few klicks away on a big concrete base, a heavy bombardment group's base that already had that stuff on the map but in permanent buildings...and then I realised, my knowledge is almost strictly US fighters, I have no real notion of realistic bomber dispersal on the ground. I'd like to make it as realistic as reasonably possible.

Occasionally I really get into mission making, just for myself. No real complex missions, but I like to mix and match scenarios and ideas in general type mission designs, like a scramble mission (for which I made these two US bases- P-51s from one base take off and defend the other from an incoming German air raid), to see what will work and how it will work and what's the simplest solution for any problems, so that when I make a mission for real to fly, it goes off smoothly- otherwise I play with FMB for 5 hours. Not that I mind it, but I like to fly my missions, too. So I need info on how US bombers were parked at base for after-mission check and maintenance.
Thanks in advance

Chuck_Older
03-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Nobody? All I really need is a photo or two.

el bumpo

Chuck_Older
03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna strat bugging folks in the missions forum but...

bumporama

edradour
03-03-2004, 10:33 AM
I'd be interested to see screen shots of that fighter base.

I guess you may have to do orriginal research for that bomber base.

mmurray11
03-03-2004, 11:13 AM
I found something that might be of some use, from the US Air Force's historical research agency. It's a large PDF file detailing the airfields used by the USAAF in world war 2, and on page seven it has a diagram of a typical medium bomber airfield. It also has diagrams of fighter-bomber bases and troop transport bases. The website for the file is www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroot/world_war2/usaaf_european_airfields.pdf and the main site is http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/ . Hopefully, that might be of some help.

Michael

Chuck_Older
03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks!

edradour- I don't have webhosting, so I can't post them here even when we have that capability back, but I could probably e-mail you a couple.