PDA

View Full Version : Night Isn't Long Enough

Captain Tomatoz
10-28-2015, 11:15 PM
I hope I'm not the only one that believes that the day and night cycle has made night way too short. The city looks beautiful at night but it's over in a few minutes.

What do you think?

Pandassin
10-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Completely agree. Daytime lasts for SO long, yet night only lasts for about 5 or 10 minutes, even though it's when London is most beautiful.

Rafe Harwood
10-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Nightime is cool, however, the map is a bugger to use lol

Pr0metheus 1962
10-29-2015, 12:15 AM
I hope I'm not the only one that believes that the day and night cycle has made night way too short. The city looks beautiful at night but it's over in a few minutes.

What do you think?

I think it would be nice if the night cycle was a bit longer. I checked the timing of it today. Here's what I found:

The sun rises at 6AM and sets at 6PM. Between 6PM and 6AM, clocks move at about one hour and ten minutes per minute of real time. As soon as the sun rises, clocks slow down to about 22 minutes per minute of real time. So time goes 3 times faster at night than during the day.

So we get about 10 minutes of real time per game night, and 32 minutes of real time per game day. Personally, I think it should have been 15 to 20 minutes for a night. But I guess I'm not too bothered by it.

An interesting thing I found while researching this is that clocks (usually) actually stop moving and game time actually stops if you're moving within visual range of a clock. It may actually stop whenever you're moving - no way to test this. It's not a set rule however - I've seen clocks move while I've been moving. The clock on the train in the compartment behind the one with the safe works (there are two other clocks on the train, but they're both stuck forever at 6:10), but the working clock stops moving whenever the train enters a station. I'm guessing game time stops whenever the CPU is working at any sort of medium to high level, maybe it does that to preserve a good frame rate.

Also, game time moves ahead a number of hours if you fast travel anywhere.

If you position yourself next to the clock on Big Ben, that's where you can best see the process in action: if the clock is not moving, just stay still and it will start moving in exactly one minute (real time). Big Ben strikes at 6AM and 6PM (just the 6 hour chimes) and at 12 midnight and noon (the characteristic Big Ben "Westminster Quarters" followed by the 12 hour chimes). At 12 midnight, this chiming process actually takes one full hour of game time!

Another weird thing about Big Ben is that whenever the minute hand reaches the 30 minute mark, the hand glitches out and points out from the clock.

Another funny thing is the conversations in the compartment with the working clock. There are two women who talk about going to the theater and about books, and the one woman always makes a comment that the other woman misinterprets as an insult: one is about the play Coriolanus and the other is about the author Trollope.

And yeah, if anyone's wondering, I do have way too much time on my hands. :D

Captain Tomatoz
10-29-2015, 12:17 AM
It was while I was listening to the midnight bells of big ben that I noticed that night was so short

Captain Tomatoz
10-31-2015, 11:21 PM
Sorry to self bump this thread but I feel so disappointed with the day/night cycle.

1. Clocks look stupid at night because they are moving so fast
2. The transition period of morning and evening lasts a few seconds.
3. As I said before night is beautiful with the street lights and the reflections from the puddles
4. Big Ben's midnights chimes last 1 HOUR of in game time.
5. Night has a completely different atmosphere which seems to have had a lot of work put in but its barely seen because of the speed

Is it possible at this stage to patch in an option for permanent night (like black flag) or maybe patch the cycle to have the same length of time for day and night.

I was really looking forward to playing at night when the game was released and its over so fast it's actually making me want to stop playing (I know it sounds silly but it's a really big annoyance to me) as day time is getting rather monotonous.

Again sorry for the self bump I won't do it again

Wolfmeister1010
10-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Dont thin they need to rebalance the night time vs day. Take too long and its obvious they chose that length for a reason

All they need to do is give us the option to set time of day/weather.

It's a shame this feature wasn't already in.

Almost as annoying as when Black Flag didn't have an option for weather. Would have been freaking amazing to have it rain all the time. Missed opportunity.

Pandassin
10-31-2015, 11:48 PM
The option to set day/weather would be great.

I was playing Syndicate the other day when the game was dark, raining and foggy. It was absolutely marvellous. I'd love to play in that weather all the time, it truly felt like Victorian London :D

Captain Tomatoz
11-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Dont thin they need to rebalance the night time vs day. Take too long and its obvious they chose that length for a reason

All they need to do is give us the option to set time of day/weather.

It's a shame this feature wasn't already in.

Almost as annoying as when Black Flag didn't have an option for weather. Would have been freaking amazing to have it rain all the time. Missed opportunity.

Well Black Flag did have a constant storm cheat IIRC.

The main problem I have is that day time is SO long compared to night that it's getting rather boring to run around during the day constantly. When I played unity I would switch between night and day to lose the monotonous feel while just free roaming

Pr0metheus 1962
11-01-2015, 12:12 AM
I agree. Options to set the weather and to freeze time at a certain time of day would be great - or preferably to be able to adjust how quickly time moves and how quickly weather changes. I also played in fog for the first time yesterday and it really brought back my childhood in England before the Clean Air Act of 1968 - we used to see heavy fogs a lot. I once experienced a fog/smog so thick that I seem to remember that I couldn't see much more than ten yards. In London in the 1860s, fogs like that must have been incredibly common.

Captain Tomatoz
11-01-2015, 11:57 AM
I agree. Options to set the weather and to freeze time at a certain time of day would be great - or preferably to be able to adjust how quickly time moves and how quickly weather changes.

That would be brilliant. I just hope ubi add something like this. Maybe CD Project adding features that are requested has rubbed off on other devs? One can hope.

Wolfmeister1010
11-01-2015, 04:51 PM
I agree. Options to set the weather and to freeze time at a certain time of day would be great - or preferably to be able to adjust how quickly time moves and how quickly weather changes. I also played in fog for the first time yesterday and it really brought back my childhood in England before the Clean Air Act of 1968 - we used to see heavy fogs a lot. I once experienced a fog/smog so thick that I seem to remember that I couldn't see much more than ten yards. In London in the 1860s, fogs like that must have been incredibly common.

I keep forgetting that all of us vary in age significantly

flyin-bart
11-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I keep forgetting that all of us vary in age significantly

Yup.....another late 1960's offspring here and still enjoying AC :)

Back to topic, I wonder if the time of day/night cycle will be altered for the "Jack The Ripper" DLC as I think it would kill the gameplay atmosphere to be hunting him down in what would be predominantly daylight hours.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Yup.....another late 1960's offspring here and still enjoying AC :)

Back to topic, I wonder if the time of day/night cycle will be altered for the "Jack The Ripper" DLC as I think it would kill the gameplay atmosphere to be hunting him down in what would be predominantly daylight hours.

I think they'll do what they do in some of the missions - pause time at the desired point. I suspect all the Ripper missions will take place in an endless foggy night.

I'm actually hoping they will, at some point, show us London in snow. It seems to me that a nice Christmas present would be a Dikkens Christmas Carol mission. But I doubt it will happen.

Also, I think it's nice that the London fog nicely reduces the draw distance so framerates can be high.

[And really, Ubisoft - we still can't be allowed to spell Dikkens correctly? It's not profanity, for Christ's sake!]

killzab
11-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Problem is the nights are really too bright !

There is so much fog that the sky is all white even during the night. You can barely make out the stars.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Problem is the nights are really too bright !There is so much fog that the sky is all white even during the night. You can barely make out the stars.Welcome to London.

Seriously, as a person who once lived there, the game's version of London's night sky seems pretty realistic. There is a lot of light pollution (caused by city lights and moisture and particulate matter in the atmosphere reflecting it), and I doubt it was much better in the 1860s (before all the clean air legislation) than it is now.