PDA

View Full Version : IL2 newb. Need help with flying tips..

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 11:48 PM
I have started flying fighter campains (only on number 5 now) and am a little confused. The plane is that first one you get (can't remember the name, I'm at work). And when taking off (I am last in line) I cannot keep up with the other planes at all! I constantly get yelled at to get back on leaders course. What am I doing wrong??

This is my take off sequence...

#1. Deploy take off flaps.
#2. Go to 100% throttle with brakes in.
#3. Release brake and once moving hit WEP.
#4. 180 km/h reached pull back on stick and aim nose slightly up till off the ground (DUH)
#5. Raise flaps and gear. I hit about 180-200 kmh and 100 meters in about 3-5 seconds.

Even like this, the rest of the group are dots 10-15 seconds into the flight!

Only way for me to keep up is immediately after takeoff I enable auto pilot. It magically revs the engine higher than I can and it keeps right up with them. Whas up wit dat? Is Jesus my autopilot?

Charles.

XyZspineZyX
08-25-2003, 11:48 PM
I have started flying fighter campains (only on number 5 now) and am a little confused. The plane is that first one you get (can't remember the name, I'm at work). And when taking off (I am last in line) I cannot keep up with the other planes at all! I constantly get yelled at to get back on leaders course. What am I doing wrong??

This is my take off sequence...

#1. Deploy take off flaps.
#2. Go to 100% throttle with brakes in.
#3. Release brake and once moving hit WEP.
#4. 180 km/h reached pull back on stick and aim nose slightly up till off the ground (DUH)
#5. Raise flaps and gear. I hit about 180-200 kmh and 100 meters in about 3-5 seconds.

Even like this, the rest of the group are dots 10-15 seconds into the flight!

Only way for me to keep up is immediately after takeoff I enable auto pilot. It magically revs the engine higher than I can and it keeps right up with them. Whas up wit dat? Is Jesus my autopilot?

Charles.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 12:15 AM
The AI, including the Autopilot, has a simplified flight model on take off and landing. I think the system for keeping up involves WEP + no flaps + no climbing until you have plenty of speed. Or you can move a bit to the side, take off on the taxiway and get a head start. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Hey man, thanks!

Just thought that I was no longer very good at WWII sims all of a sudden. Have not played one since Chuck Yeagars Air Combat and MS Flight Simulator.

Leaving Prop pitch on Auto vs. manually setting it at take off make any difference?

Charles.

Message Edited on 08/25/0311:36PM by froazan

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Don't worry about it. You'll catch up once they reach cruising altitude. They usually slow down to 50% throttle.
If they reach enemy AI before u get there, no problem you'll join the scrap quickly.

Tony

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Not just talking landings now but...does AUTO Prop pitch work well enough on it's own or do you have to go to manual to really take advantage?

Charles.

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Bnej_03 wrote:
- The AI, including the Autopilot, has a simplified
- flight model on take off and landing. I think the
- system for keeping up involves WEP + no flaps + no
- climbing until you have plenty of speed. Or you can
- move a bit to the side, take off on the taxiway and
- get a head start.

Make sure that you are the last in line when using the last manuver, or the guy behind you will 'think' it is his turn, and crash into the plane that was parked in front of you.

http://nedchristie.freeservers.com/images/nedchristie.senate.jpg

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa!

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2003, 01:52 AM
I read a post some time back that had the same questions you did. I was having the same problem. After reading the post my problems went away. The post advised:

1) Do not deploy any flaps unless you are flying a bomber or a heavily loaded fighter-bomber. They just add drag for a fighter and are not really needed to takeoff.

2) Do not climb to altitude immediately after takeoff. Climb 100 meters off the ground, level off and accelerate to at least 270kph. Now start a slow climb to altitude.

I started doing this after reading the posts and now I can catch up with the rest of the flight very easily.

Lots of good info on this and other web sites. Check the mud movers site for some excellent advice. I think there is a link to it on the home page.