PDA

View Full Version : Tales from online: SpitMk9 performance depends on pilot

Jumoschwanz
05-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Last night I flew on a server with a limited plane set. The only 109 available to blue was the 109g6 late. Some on blue flew the fw190,not me.

The Red team had Spit9s,La5,lagg3, and p39. All red except for the odd exception flew the spit9.
I was engaged many times with spit9s through the session and it was interesting to see the difference in their performance pilot to pilot.

I tried to stick to my zoom and boom tactics and stay out of dogfights. But inevitably I ended getting caught climbing to alt, and compromising my tactics to help out a low and slow friend that was in trouble.

ONe spit9 caught me climbing to alt shortly after takeoff. Suddenly I felt hits, I split Sed at low alt and immediately turned. I got into a scissor contest with the spit. My 109 had the mk108 gunpods on it so naturally I thought I was a deadman. To my surprise I was able to keep up the scissor, break off into the sun, split S and end up head-on with the spit twice. The last time we hit each other then collided. I never would have thought a fight with a spit9 against a late109 with thirtys mounted would go that way, but then this happened:

Once again in the late g6 w/gunpods. I had zoomed and boomed my way through a few engagements and had shot down a spit9 easily. Now I was out of ammo for the gunpods and just had the single twenty nose cannon and the cowl light machine guns. A spit9 ended up in my proximity while trying to get my altitude back. He saw me at the same time and he had a bit of an alt advantage so I knew I had no option but to turn into the attack. I dodged the first pass while simultaneously turning with him. He zoomed down and up and I followed. I thought he would get to the top way before me and he did, next I thought he would come down with the guns blazing but i guess he did not get a good shot, he just came down while I was getting done climbing and turning with him. I got a ninety degree deflection shot and saw a slight, lightly colored puff of smoke as a shell glanced off him somewhere. We did this four times, each time to my amazement,lugging my empty gunpods, I was gaining and improving my position. I took a total of three full deflection shots, hit on two of them(this was cockpit on and they were mostly blind hail marys), then at the top of the fourth zoom I had him dead to rights at the top of the stall, he just hung in front of me while I hit him with the single twenty several times and he elploded into pieces.
I was stunned at what just happened. I never would have bet on it in a million years.
Now, in other engagements it went quite differently. Some of the spit9 pilots would just go into a sustained full throttle turn and they got away from me. Gunpods or not, quarter or half fuel load I could not stay with the spit9 for long in a constant tight turn with a good pilot at the stick. My only option in this was to dive away and climb into the sun when had I the chance.

Through the evening this became clear: The spit pilot that knew his plane's strengths could use them to do well against the 109. The 109 can fight with the spit in the vertical plane much better than in the horizontal. And preferably, I would rather not fight at all but just zoom and boom all and be done.
Later when the reds were short I switched and ended up in a spit9 myself. I had one engagement, easily getting on the tail of a 109 using the zoom and boom. I did not have a chance to try the sustained turn with a 109 before the server closed down.
So we have learned some of the relative strengths of the 109g and spit9, and reinforced that the zoom and boom considerably diminishes the variable of which plane you are in. It almost always is the way to go if you want to get kills and not get shot down in the process.

And for those who want to try the zoom and boom do it like this: Do not zoom down right at your target and hit them on the way down, zoom down so when you pass the horizontal plane of your target you are a kilometer away. Go down and pick up 6-800 km/h speed then zoom up toward them, merge with their flight path or set up the deflection shot, and after your shot you should still have 4-500km/h speed to get up and away with if you did it right. S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Last night I flew on a server with a limited plane set. The only 109 available to blue was the 109g6 late. Some on blue flew the fw190,not me.

The Red team had Spit9s,La5,lagg3, and p39. All red except for the odd exception flew the spit9.
I was engaged many times with spit9s through the session and it was interesting to see the difference in their performance pilot to pilot.

I tried to stick to my zoom and boom tactics and stay out of dogfights. But inevitably I ended getting caught climbing to alt, and compromising my tactics to help out a low and slow friend that was in trouble.

ONe spit9 caught me climbing to alt shortly after takeoff. Suddenly I felt hits, I split Sed at low alt and immediately turned. I got into a scissor contest with the spit. My 109 had the mk108 gunpods on it so naturally I thought I was a deadman. To my surprise I was able to keep up the scissor, break off into the sun, split S and end up head-on with the spit twice. The last time we hit each other then collided. I never would have thought a fight with a spit9 against a late109 with thirtys mounted would go that way, but then this happened:

Once again in the late g6 w/gunpods. I had zoomed and boomed my way through a few engagements and had shot down a spit9 easily. Now I was out of ammo for the gunpods and just had the single twenty nose cannon and the cowl light machine guns. A spit9 ended up in my proximity while trying to get my altitude back. He saw me at the same time and he had a bit of an alt advantage so I knew I had no option but to turn into the attack. I dodged the first pass while simultaneously turning with him. He zoomed down and up and I followed. I thought he would get to the top way before me and he did, next I thought he would come down with the guns blazing but i guess he did not get a good shot, he just came down while I was getting done climbing and turning with him. I got a ninety degree deflection shot and saw a slight, lightly colored puff of smoke as a shell glanced off him somewhere. We did this four times, each time to my amazement,lugging my empty gunpods, I was gaining and improving my position. I took a total of three full deflection shots, hit on two of them(this was cockpit on and they were mostly blind hail marys), then at the top of the fourth zoom I had him dead to rights at the top of the stall, he just hung in front of me while I hit him with the single twenty several times and he elploded into pieces.
I was stunned at what just happened. I never would have bet on it in a million years.
Now, in other engagements it went quite differently. Some of the spit9 pilots would just go into a sustained full throttle turn and they got away from me. Gunpods or not, quarter or half fuel load I could not stay with the spit9 for long in a constant tight turn with a good pilot at the stick. My only option in this was to dive away and climb into the sun when had I the chance.

Through the evening this became clear: The spit pilot that knew his plane's strengths could use them to do well against the 109. The 109 can fight with the spit in the vertical plane much better than in the horizontal. And preferably, I would rather not fight at all but just zoom and boom all and be done.
Later when the reds were short I switched and ended up in a spit9 myself. I had one engagement, easily getting on the tail of a 109 using the zoom and boom. I did not have a chance to try the sustained turn with a 109 before the server closed down.
So we have learned some of the relative strengths of the 109g and spit9, and reinforced that the zoom and boom considerably diminishes the variable of which plane you are in. It almost always is the way to go if you want to get kills and not get shot down in the process.

And for those who want to try the zoom and boom do it like this: Do not zoom down right at your target and hit them on the way down, zoom down so when you pass the horizontal plane of your target you are a kilometer away. Go down and pick up 6-800 km/h speed then zoom up toward them, merge with their flight path or set up the deflection shot, and after your shot you should still have 4-500km/h speed to get up and away with if you did it right. S!

Jumoschwanz