PDA

View Full Version : The Kenway Mansion (spoilers)

Smithies89
10-25-2015, 04:57 PM
I was really excited when I realised we were going to it but its a little disapointing it is nothing like it is described in the book the most obvious being its missing the gardens and the locked gate that leads to the Barretts. Also if Edward had a secret room under the house why did he hide his book in the games room

VestigialLlama4
10-25-2015, 05:21 PM
I was really excited when I realised we were going to it but its a little disapointing it is nothing like it is described in the book the most obvious being its missing the gardens and the locked gate that leads to the Barretts. Also if Edward had a secret room under the house why did he hide his book in the games room

It's been 130+ years remember, so obviously some of the landscape and gardens and neighboring areas would have been subject to redevelopment, especially to allot for the growing carriage traffic.

It would have been unbelievable if there hadn't been changes.

As for why did Edward have a man-cave in the basement and another passage behind a book shelf, it makes good sense not to keep all your eggs in one basket.

Smithies89
10-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Maybe. It just felt a little too shoehorned in with no real thought to how it actually looked still cool tho Im only on sequence 6 and Im hoping for more easter eggs like that I love it when they have references to previous assassins

Alphacos007
10-26-2015, 02:12 PM
I agree with both of you. Yes, the mansion should not look the same, it had to change, I didn't expect it to look like the book, but I was still underwhelmed by it. I expected something great and imposing maybe like the Monteriggioni mansion, yet the Kenway mannor looked exactly like the other houses around, with the exception of the ship statue infront.

VestigialLlama4
10-26-2015, 02:20 PM
I agree with both of you. Yes, the mansion should not look the same, it had to change, I didn't expect it to look like the book, but I was still underwhelmed by it. I expected something great and imposing maybe like the Monteriggioni mansion, yet the Kenway mannor looked exactly like the other houses around, with the exception of the ship statue infront.

Monteriggioni is noble property, it comes from having a medieval bloodline and probably because the Auditore built the town. For an Englishman to own that kind of property, especially for a man of Edward Kenway's background beggars disbelief. Even more unbelievable would be a house like that to exist in London. Monteriggioni is a villa/castle in the countryside not in the main city center, it's made for Siege warfare and protection. That kind of house would be incongruous to own in London in the 1700s when land wars within England had pretty much died as a legitimate threat. You would find it in smaller English countryside anyway.

The Kenway Mansion is large but not too expensive looking as to be unbelievable for a Nouveau Riche ex-privateer--merchant--who--married--a--rich--noblewoman to own. It's a larger version of Villa Auditore, Ezio's home in Florence and it fits. Not all mansions are like Wayne Manor you know. The Kenways are the British Auditore, tried to rise above their station and they get their wings clipped...much like the Jackdaw in Aesop's fable.

Pandassin
10-26-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm just disappointed there were no family portraits of the Kenway family in it, but then again I can understand why there weren't any since it was a long time ago.

VestigialLlama4
10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm just disappointed there were no family portraits of the Kenway family in it, but then again I can understand why there weren't any since it was a long time ago.

I wish there was some special side missions or notes like the Auditore Family Crypt in AC2, where Ezio finds out the whole story about his family origins underneath the cave in a special tomb. I always loved that line, "You are the Auditore, you are one of the people, you are not a noble, not one of the decievers, avenge us."

If the Kenway Mansion had special notes by Jenny who lived in the house last and who I always felt bad for, it would have been interesting. Also an echo of Evie's relationship with Jacob, since Jenny resented how her father favored Haytham and saw him as his heir while he wanted Jenny to be married off, and how pretty much the entire family got destroyed thanks to that disastrous choice. It would have been nice closure to the series, since the database states that Jenny died in 1805, so it would have been cool if she mentioned getting letters from Connor in 1802 and mentioning who he married and had kids with, and the like, and that she's sent the family portraits and mementoes to America.

Evie and Jacob are one of many sibling teams in the series you have Ezio-Claudia, Haytham-Jenny, these two and well, among the Templars, there's Cesare-Lucrezia. I always think it's a terrible thing when Ubisoft neglects these connections, since it's the kind of subtle thematic world-building that costs nothing and makes things convincing.

cawatrooper9
10-26-2015, 02:35 PM
I wish there was some special side missions or notes like the Auditore Family Crypt in AC2, where Ezio finds out the whole story about his family origins underneath the cave in a special tomb. I always loved that line, "You are the Auditore, you are one of the people, you are not a noble, not one of the decievers, avenge us."

If the Kenway Mansion had special notes by Jenny who lived in the house last and who I always felt bad for, it would have been interesting. Also an echo of Evie's relationship with Jacob, since Jenny resented how her father favored Haytham and saw him as his heir while he wanted Jenny to be married off, and how pretty much the entire family got destroyed thanks to that disastrous choice. It would have been nice closure to the series, since the database states that Jenny died in 1805, so it would have been cool if she mentioned getting letters from Connor in 1802 and mentioning who he married and had kids with, and the like, and that she's sent the family portraits and mementoes to America.

Evie and Jacob are one of many sibling teams in the series you have Ezio-Claudia, Haytham-Jenny, these two and well, among the Templars, there's Cesare-Lucrezia. I always think it's a terrible thing when Ubisoft neglects these connections, since it's the kind of subtle thematic world-building that costs nothing and makes things convincing.

That would've all been very cool.

As it is, I'm glad we got a mission in the Kenway mansion, anyway. It seems to bring some cohesion between the earlier games and current gen ones, something that Unity was terrible at.

Alphacos007
10-26-2015, 02:43 PM
I understand your point, but still, it's called a mansion for a reason. My house is as big as that and it is not a mansion. By the size of it, it should be called just the Kenway house/estate. The villa auditore was obviously an over.expectation of mine, and now that you mention it, I see how it wouldn't fit there, but I expected something at least a little bigger than what we got. I actually expected it to be outside the map, only available during a mission, exact for the reason you said, there's no way an enormous house like what I had in mind to be build in the urban center.

I really liked the memoralia we found inside tho, specially the Vial on the table. I wonder whose blood was inside :p
Talking about this, do you happen to know how you get the Jackdaw flag in your train? Everyone noticed that on the pre-release videos but my train doesn't have it as far as I've seen.

VestigialLlama4
10-26-2015, 03:01 PM
I understand your point, but still, it's called a mansion for a reason. My house is as big as that and it is not a mansion.

Wow you are really rich then. Because that was a mansion in my eyes, two wings, huge stairs, multiple floors, several rooms, space enough for a secret basement...the only time I saw places as big as that in my life was when I went sight seeing or visited five-star hotel lobbies.

By the size of it, it should be called just the Kenway house/estate. The villa auditore was obviously an over.expectation of mine, and now that you mention it, I see how it wouldn't fit there, but I expected something at least a little bigger than what we got. I actually expected it to be outside the map, only available during a mission, exact for the reason you said, there's no way an enormous house like what I had in mind to be build in the urban center.

Forsaken mentions that the mansion is in Queen Anne's Square (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Square,_London) in Camden, London. Not sure if that's the place it corresponds to in Syndicate, but it was always inside London city.

I really liked the memoralia we found inside tho, specially the Vial on the table. I wonder whose blood was inside :p

Well, if it was Edward's blood vial and if the MD assassins recover that, then we can have playable Edward sequel of his post-Black Flag adventures, since that DNA from a later period would allow, Altair-Revelations style, to revisit his memories after he fathers Haytham.

Talking about this, do you happen to know how you get the Jackdaw flag in your train? Everyone noticed that on the pre-release videos but my train doesn't have it as far as I've seen.

Most likely doing some side mission activity or something, I don't know.

cawatrooper9
10-26-2015, 03:29 PM
I understand your point, but still, it's called a mansion for a reason. My house is as big as that and it is not a mansion. By the size of it, it should be called just the Kenway house/estate.

Look, I don't know if your house really is that big, but if it is then you are probably well aware that not everyone is in a similar situation.

Now, take into account that Edward lived during the 1700s- modern construction techniques weren't quite around yet.

Also, he was living in London. Think of it this way- my parents have a relatively large house in Missouri (not as large as Kenway mansion, but still pretty big. Now, they can afford it. However, if this same exact property was to be somewhere where property values were much higher (let's say Manhatten, NY) there's NO WAY my parents could afford it.

So, while Ezio's family was rich, they also had a more countryside estate. Edward's is in the middle of a relatively nice district of London. I'm actually kind of impressed at how big it is, if anything.

Alphacos007
10-26-2015, 03:30 PM
I played that mission a few hours ago, so to be more exact, it had 2 wings, 2 floors, and 3 rooms on each floor for each wing, which makes the total of 12 rooms plus the lobby/stairs room (and the secret basement). Any house from my neighborhood has at least 10 rooms (can list them if you're curious, lol), plus the bathrooms. So they should be more or less the same size, and I'm not rich, definitively nowhere compared to the Kenways anyway. It's weird though, that the Kenway mannor has a third floor if you look from the outside, while inside there are no stairs to get there, at least not on the lobby (where they should be) or in any of the rooms that we can go in.

A Edward late sequel ala Revelations would be really interesting, but I don't think it would fit anywhere else other than Syndicate itself, unless we had another game in london.

And the flag is definitively not obtained by doing a side quest, since I already did all of them and still don't have the flag :/

VestigialLlama4
10-26-2015, 03:38 PM
I played that mission a few hours ago, so to be more exact, it had 2 wings, 2 floors, and 3 rooms on each floor for each wing, which makes the total of 12 rooms plus the lobby/stairs room (and the secret basement). Any house from my neighborhood has at least 10 rooms (can list them if you're curious, lol), plus the bathrooms. So they should be more or less the same size, and I'm not rich,

Take it from someone living in the Third World, you are loaded baby. Own it!

It's weird though, that the Kenway mannor has a third floor if you look from the outside, while inside there are no stairs to get there, at least not on the lobby (where they should be) or in any of the rooms that we can go in.

That's why I felt it was a mansion based on how it looked outside. Obviously, they didn't fully build the interiors to proper size, and maybe some of the occupants boarded up the interiors.

A Edward late sequel ala Revelations would be really interesting, but I don't think it would fit anywhere else other than Syndicate itself, unless we had another game in london.

London's history is rich enough that you can have a whole another game set there, or in England. Like Elizabethan London has architecture totally different from Victorian London, to the point that it would effectively be a new city. There was a lot of redevelopment in the late 1600s following the Great Fire.

Alphacos007
10-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Look, I don't know if your house really is that big, but if it is then you are probably well aware that not everyone is in a similar situation.

Now, take into account that Edward lived during the 1700s- modern construction techniques weren't quite around yet.

Also, he was living in London. Think of it this way- my parents have a relatively large house in Missouri (not as large as Kenway mansion, but still pretty big. Now, they can afford it. However, if this same exact property was to be somewhere where property values were much higher (let's say Manhatten, NY) there's NO WAY my parents could afford it.

So, while Ezio's family was rich, they also had a more countryside estate. Edward's is in the middle of a relatively nice district of London. I'm actually kind of impressed at how big it is, if anything.

You, sir, have a really good point, I hadn't actually thought about that, a property in the center of London was definitively much more expensive than almost anywhere in the world, the money he spent just to buy the terrain must have been almost the same as the Auditore paid to build their whole house. Yea, I can see now why the mannor is that small, I can agree with you on that now.
I still don't think it should be called a mansion though. A mansion is a huge house, not an expensive house. How much money was spent to build it doesn't matter, since the nomination is about size and not cost.

ze_topazio
10-26-2015, 03:47 PM
An Edward or Haytham DLC would have been more interesting than Jack the Ripper in my humble opinion.

VestigialLlama4
10-26-2015, 04:04 PM
An Edward or Haytham DLC would have been more interesting than Jack the Ripper in my humble opinion.

Would it? We know just about everything about those two whereas we don't know anything about Jack.

The only Edward Kenway DLC I am interested in is the one where he fakes his death, goes somewhere else and starts a new family and finds the fountain of youth and achieves immortality and arrives in London and MD.

It will be interesting to see the Fryes at age 40 in the DLC, especially since Syndicate destroyed the big theory about that DLC.

I still don't think it should be called a mansion though. A mansion is a huge house, not an expensive house. How much money was spent to build it doesn't matter, since the nomination is about size and not cost.

Bear in mind that the definition of mansion size and state (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansion) has changed over the years. So what you think of as a mansion in relation to your house is not the same in the context of 1700s.

Likewise bear in mind that the name of the place is Kenway Mansion, so it might be that Edward called it a mansion since compared to the shack he was living in the Black Flag flashbacks it most assuredly is a mansion. Calling a place a mansion when it isn't sounds like the kind of Nouveau Riche aspirational thing that Edward would do or what I would do.

cawatrooper9
10-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Bear in mind that the definition of mansion size and state (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansion) has changed over the years. So what you think of as a mansion in relation to your house is not the same in the context of 1700s.

Right, that's what I mean about advances in modern construction. Some modern "mansions" may have been almost impossible to build in the past.

LoyalACFan
10-26-2015, 05:57 PM
I was actually really happy with the Kenway Manor, I mean Jesus, the place looks like a freaking Ivy League dormitory for one family. It was a bit of a stretch to still have his stuff laying around everywhere (especially the blood vial) but hey, fan service. And I'm glad that they didn't

jump the shark by having Edward resurrect himself with the Shroud. I was really worried for a minute that I was going to walk into the secret room in the basement only to have Edward waiting there for me like the Templar Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

VestigialLlama4
10-26-2015, 06:11 PM
I was actually really happy with the Kenway Manor, I mean Jesus, the place looks like a freaking Ivy League dormitory for one family. It was a bit of a stretch to still have his stuff laying around everywhere (especially the blood vial) but hey, fan service. And I'm glad that they didn't

jump the shark by having Edward resurrect himself with the Shroud. I was really worried for a minute that I was going to walk into the secret room in the basement only to have Edward waiting there for me like the Templar Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Aw...I wanted that.

cawatrooper9
10-26-2015, 07:10 PM

I mean, when you put it that way it sounds dumb... :rolleyes:

But seriously, (and I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't really know how the shroud is utilized) I'd kind of love a fanservice like that.

Hans684
10-26-2015, 07:19 PM
So now fan service is alright, then again the hypocritecy here is nothing new. Other than that it was nice to see the Kenway Mansion.