PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Non-Lethal Takedowns Suggestion

darksavior1977
10-24-2015, 07:09 PM
OK first, I am not sure I see much point in non-lethal takedowns in an Assassin's Creed game. Lets please not get so liberal with our non-violent attitudes that we push this aspect into everything. That said; If you are going to include them, make them as easy to use as the rest of the assassin's arsenal. In Splinter Cell Blacklist Sam was given a toggle that changed his whole arsenal of takedowns to either lethal or non-lethal as needed, making neither meaningfully more difficult to use. In AC Syn, there are times that missions call for a knock out, but you have given the assassin's only a singular approach(sneak up behind) to accomplish it. This, inadvertently I assume, significantly dissuades players from bothering with it when the lethal counterparts are so much more varied and don't have such a high opportunity cost. So my recommendation is, likely in a future game, if you are going to include non-lethal approaches and situations, then please make the non-lethal gameplay more varied and attractive to use.

D.I.D.
10-24-2015, 07:22 PM
I disagree with that. Unity had the same thing: creep up behind the target, hold down B. I think that's right because it should be a game mechanic, not a moral one. There needs to be a challenge-and-reward thing to make it fun.

UbiJustin
10-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It is certainly more of a challenge to do a non-lethal takedown than throwing a couple of knives into your target's face. But I believe that was the design decision. To force you to use stealth, eagle vision, and situational awareness in order to bring you closer to your target. I found these objectives to be a much more tense and visceral experience when playing.

But I appreciate the feedback and will include it in the next report I send to the devs.

darksavior1977
10-25-2015, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It is certainly more of a challenge to do a non-lethal takedown than throwing a couple of knives into your target's face. But I believe that was the design decision. To force you to use stealth, eagle vision, and situational awareness in order to bring you closer to your target. I found these objectives to be a much more tense and visceral experience when playing.

But I appreciate the feedback and will include it in the next report I send to the devs.

Its not that I found it increasingly more difficult, just more boring. Its completely unvaried. I can't grab a guy from a hay stack and choke him out? I can't grab him from behind a corner using the whistle? It feels very forced and unrealistic was the heart of the complaint and the reason for the feedback. I get that a railroad features prominently in the game but isn't it supposed to be emergent gameplay and a sandbox? Thanks.