PDA

View Full Version : So who likes Arno?

Smithies89
10-07-2015, 06:41 AM
Connor seems to be a pretty polarising character but I don't see anyone defending Arno so does he have any fans here or is he universally despised?

DumbGamerTag94
10-07-2015, 06:50 AM
I liked Arno.

I-Like-Pie45
10-07-2015, 07:09 AM
i have no time for cheese eating surrender monkeys in my life

Journey93
10-07-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't, he sucks and is probably the worst protagonist of the series.

SixKeys
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
I think he's just okay. He had some genuine charm at the beginning which was then quickly tossed aside and he became rather boring. I do like the way he sometimes takes the p*ss out of the French brotherhood who are pompous and stuck in tradition. His voice-acting was good regardless of his personality.

cawatrooper9
10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
I don't dislike him... he was simply forgettable for me.
Which is a shame, because Ubisoft really wanted to make him the next Ezio, and he ended up rather flat.

Smithies89
10-07-2015, 03:48 PM
How about Shay?

I found him quite disapointing as I was hoping he was going to be a stone cold villain who truly believed in absolute Templar controll, ruthlessly hunting assassins and killing anyone who got in his way with no remorse

Journey93
10-07-2015, 03:52 PM
How about Shay?

I found him quite disapointing as I was hoping he was going to be a stone cold villain who truly believed in absolute Templar controll, ruthlessly hunting assassins and killing anyone who got in his way with no remorse

Yep me too. His transition from Assassin to Templar felt contrived and awkward. I really didn't like Rogue's story.
They tried to make the Assassins too much like ****s and Shay as a character wasn't really believable.

We should have gotten a game about Haytham instead. Now that would have been great.

cawatrooper9
10-07-2015, 04:52 PM
How about Shay?

Really? I liked his transition- he was a very likable character for me, perhaps the most likable protagonist in the series (sorry Ezio, I never truly loved you). I do wish that he had turned a little colder near the end, though (though I guess he kinda does in the epilogue).

We should have gotten a game about Haytham instead. Now that would have been great.
That's the AC game I've always wanted. Well, that and a dozen other pipe dreams.

GunnerGalactico
10-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I kinda like Arno. I thought he was alright, but not great. He was likeable at the beginning of the game, but as I progressed through the main campaign, he became less interesting. Most of his interactions with Elise didn't do much for me. However, his VA did manage to salvage somewhat of the character for me.

terroAssassin
10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Arno was cool not the best but not among the bad assassin protagonists like Edward or Shay

D.I.D.
10-07-2015, 06:01 PM
He was pretty good, but really none of the characters (aside from the Marquis de Sade) won their scenes, and too many of them didn't even get their names established. A good start, as Six Keys said, and flashes of something great at times. If the love story had been convincing, he would have gained a lot.

He was never meant to be iconic, I guess. He's better than Shay and Altair by some margin. His main problem is that he doesn't feel like he's part of his environment. Everyone else has been a believable product of their background: Altair, Ezio, and Aveline all seemed like locals to their home environments, Connor and his forest home complemented each other, Adéwalé's background had clearly shaped him, and Edward was 100% in the pirate life. Arno only had any roots in Versailles until the death of his foster father. After that, he doesn't even feel like he's French, let alone Parisian: like an alien in his own world, and lacking sufficient connection to the Assassins either. Nothing matters to him, and he matters to nothing else.

Aphex_Tim
10-07-2015, 06:28 PM
How about Shay?

I've never been more annoyed by an AC character.
"I maek mah ehrn luck!"

Arno was okay, I want to like him, but he was just kind of forgettable.

Hans684
10-07-2015, 06:41 PM
How about Shay?

Clearly things isn't as black and white then.

Xstantin
10-07-2015, 06:44 PM
He was allright.

I-Like-Pie45
10-07-2015, 06:46 PM
to be french is no pride

the blood of all the dead from the second world war is directly attributed to their hands

Journey93
10-07-2015, 06:51 PM
I've never been more annoyed by an AC character.
"I maek mah ehrn luck!"

Arno was okay, I want to like him, but he was just kind of forgettable.

Yeah his catchphrase was even worse than Connor's ("WHERE'S CHALES LEEEE)

TimeLock09
10-07-2015, 06:57 PM
I dont. He's boring and forgettable, Unlike Connor who had personality despite people say he's too "whiney" People will remember AC3 because of Connor. And people remember Unity for shedloads of bugs and glitches with a baaaaad story that didn't go anywhere and was completly pointless and baaaaad characters and an ezio clone with the personality of a cardboard box.

Hans684
10-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Yeah his catchphrase was even worse than Connor's ("WHERE'S CHALES LEEEE)

It has a meaning, unlike Connor's obsession and blind hatred.

Assassin_M
10-07-2015, 11:59 PM
I thought he was the best thing about Unity's story. Not that this is a compliment, but I liked him a lot.

HDinHB
10-08-2015, 01:07 AM
I think he's just okay. He had some genuine charm at the beginning which was then quickly tossed aside and he became rather boring. I do like the way he sometimes takes the p*ss out of the French brotherhood who are pompous and stuck in tradition. His voice-acting was good regardless of his personality.

Pretty much this. I felt like he was someone you could like, but the story was so meh that you didn't really get to know him well enough.

terroAssassin
10-08-2015, 01:28 AM
I like the ezio model of protagonists but arno was like they took the template and just said well I guess its good enough
Jacob seems cool in a not so try hard way whereas Arno had so many informed qualities and his romance with elise kinda hurt him

RVSage
10-08-2015, 01:56 AM
He was not a bad character, personally i feel we did not see too much of his character, in Unity's short story. We saw glimpses of charm, righteousness. Everything about him was in glimpses, nothing was shown in-depth , except maybe his love for Elise.

LoyalACFan
10-08-2015, 03:30 AM
Pretty much what Six Keys said. He was alright, I don't really like or dislike him. He was just kinda... ehh I don't even really know how to describe him, he was just sort of forgettable. Well acted, though, I didn't have a problem with Jeanotte's performance.

Shay, though, was pretty bad. It's like he never actually developed his own convictions or took ownership of his actions. I mean, the Assassins were pretty f***ing reprehensible in Shay's time, but he never really outgrows his "reluctant traitor" phase until after the sudden 15-year time jump at the end. He was never a convincing Templar, he was just a mopey bastard with a really obnoxious catchphrase.

booty_fiend
10-08-2015, 04:04 AM
he was a french ezio to me, and as such, i didn't like or dislike him (i didn't like ezio as much as others, but didn't dislike him like some haters either). though, he didn't have as much character as ezio.

he was just... an avatar i used in-game rather than a character i enjoyed.

D.I.D.
10-08-2015, 05:30 AM
I mean, the Assassins were pretty f***ing reprehensible in Shay's time

Well... they're not, are they? I kind of wish they had been, and they should be from time to time (and a game where you're not an assassin is the ideal time to do it), but the Assassins simply didn't know the harm they were doing. As soon as they knew the truth, Achilles stopped it. Really, it's Shay's fault that it took so long for the message to get through - he threw a huge strop before anybody could have a sensible conversation (and the others did try!), he believed the Templars when they told him the Assassins were going to poison everyone in New York (which made no sense and was an obvious lie), and when the penny finally dropped that he'd been misled he didn't try to get a message to the Assassins.

HDinHB
10-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Well... they're not, are they? I kind of wish they had been, and they should be from time to time (and a game where you're not an assassin is the ideal time to do it), but the Assassins simply didn't know the harm they were doing.

That's my recollection, and I just finished playing a couple weeks ago. I don't remember thinking how reprehensible the Assassin's were. Achilles should have listened to Shay earlier, but he was a hard-headed SOB and we knew that already. The way Shay turned not only on the Assassin's but his BFF nearly overnight was incredible.

LoyalACFan
10-08-2015, 07:11 AM
As soon as they knew the truth, Achilles stopped it. Really, it's Shay's fault that it took so long for the message to get through - he threw a huge strop before anybody could have a sensible conversation (and the others did try!), he believed the Templars when they told him the Assassins were going to poison everyone in New York (which made no sense and was an obvious lie), and when the penny finally dropped that he'd been misled he didn't try to get a message to the Assassins.

Except they also used bloodthirsty drug-manufacturing street gangs to consolidate their control. Of course they weren't deliberately leveling cities, they weren't psychopaths. But the whole street gang connection was pretty friggin shady. With the exception of Adewale, the Assassins definitely felt like bastards to me. Especially Hope and the French guy.

I-Like-Pie45
10-08-2015, 07:22 AM
I never took you for a misogynist.

Hans684
10-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Well... they're not, are they? I kind of wish they had been, and they should be from time to time (and a game where you're not an assassin is the ideal time to do it), but the Assassins simply didn't know the harm they were doing.

Oh they knew, their extremist and corrupt Asssassins using the Creed as a policy of aggression and unrestricted power. It's an unique perspective only Rogue has dealt with, it's been used in other games but never been a focus. Rogue is about the extremism and fanaticism of the Creed, blind following and the use of the Creed as a policy of aggression and unrestricted power. Shay lives up to the Creed by questioning everything, even the Templars at times. And since it's a Templar game it deals with the Templar principles, goals and how they work.

D.I.D.
10-08-2015, 12:48 PM
Except they also used bloodthirsty drug-manufacturing street gangs to consolidate their control. Of course they weren't deliberately leveling cities, they weren't psychopaths. But the whole street gang connection was pretty friggin shady. With the exception of Adewale, the Assassins definitely felt like bastards to me. Especially Hope and the French guy.

But we don't see that happen either. As Leonardo said in the first game to feature poison, one amount is medicine and a greater one is a poison. For all we know the Assassins are manufacturing the poison they need for their weapons (which Shay himself used on people) and selling the remainder as a medicine.

I guess it was good to see the gangs in a different way than they've been presented until now. We were always shown them as lovable rogues with hearts of gold. Even Ezio would happily steal from poor people just to win a bet against another thief, and we were supposed to cheer for him.

I can't remember anything bad about Hope at all. It seemed particularly puzzling that Shay was so mad with her. I remember feeling angry with Shay that he was wrecking yet another opportunity to talk. I can't remember which French guy you meant (I played Rogue once, and that will probably never happen again). If they were going to be shown as bad, I wanted them much more vicious than they were.

Oh they knew, their extremist and corrupt Asssassins using the Creed as a policy of aggression and unrestricted power. It's an unique perspective only Rogue has dealt with, it's been used in other games but never been a focus. Rogue is about the extremism and fanaticism of the Creed, blind following and the use of the Creed as a policy of aggression and unrestricted power. Shay lives up to the Creed by questioning everything, even the Templars at times. And since it's a Templar game it deals with the Templar principles, goals and how they work.

Yeah, in theory, but in practice Ubisoft didn't want to hurt its Assassin brand and (understandably) they didn't want to make a game where it's bad guys vs bad guys.

The Assassins are not extremists in this game, and nor are they corrupt. They're led by a very kindly mentor. There's no evidence of unrestricted power. The Templars have almost all the power in the world, as usual.

All that happens is that Achilles makes a mistake of thinking that all PoEs must be kept out of Templar hands, without realising that some should not be moved. Even after the calamity in Lisbon, Achilles wasn't there to see that the tremors started the instant the device was taken. Shay was, but rather than have a discussion, he was all "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU, JUMPING OUT THE WINDOW NOW, KTHX BAI". The moment Achilles is there in person and finally gets that conversation, he capitulates immediately.

A bit of a waste of this scenario.

Hans684
10-08-2015, 02:44 PM
For all we know the Assassins are manufacturing the poison they need for their weapons.

And to use on the colonial authority, it will result in casualties among the the people.

Which Shay himself used on people.

Animus Glitch, he never killed innocents. Except for the earthquake he started.

And selling the remainder as a medicine.

Speculation. Plus considering that his Brotherhood is corrupt and extremist it does't make sense either, they are oppressing and terrorizing the colonies. They don't care about the people.

Yeah, in theory, but in practice Ubisoft didn't want to hurt its Assassin brand and (understandably) they didn't want to make a game where it's bad guys vs bad guys.

Liberation and Unity, both games has both orders being ****ed up.

The Assassins are not extremists in this game, and nor are they corrupt.

- Use of gangs to terrorize the Colonies. Check
- Attempt at gassing the Colonies. Check
- Attack on native villages. Check
- Fanatics blindly following their Mentor and Creed. Check
- Attack on surrendering soldiers. Check

Seeing as Shay is the most humane and empathetic protagonist so far there are all reasons he'd end up turning on them either way.

They're led by a very kindly mentor.

A calm Mentor with anger issues that's a fanatic blindly following his Creed while leading a Brotherhood with gangs controlled by Assassins all over the Colonies, an Assassin navy and the Assassins themselves. Yet the expected to find a AOE in the Temples and "will not let anyone destroy what they have build!"

There's no evidence of unrestricted power.

Explain his Brotherhood and complete disregard to the Creed then.

The Templars have almost all the power in the world, as usual.

We are talking about the Colonial Templars, others are irrelevant to the case. They wasn't founded until Haytham arrived, however Achillies Brotherhood had been striving with little resistance. So they where far more powerful.

All that happens is that Achilles makes a mistake of thinking that all PoEs must be kept out of Templar hands, without realising that some should not be moved.

True but hardly the only bad thing he did.

Even after the calamity in Lisbon, Achilles wasn't there to see that the tremors started the instant the device was taken. Shay was, but rather than have a discussion, he was all "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU, JUMPING OUT THE WINDOW NOW, KTHX BAI". The moment Achilles is there in person and finally gets that conversation, he capitulates immediately.

Shay has all the right to be mad, starting an earthquake and watching a city full of worthless people die [because clearly the Assassins matters more] and could have died himself is something to get mad over. Saying this isn't good, then you might as well say Ezio wanting revenge over the murder of his father and brothers isn't good enough or that Connor being strangled by an ugly unstable racist ******* isn't a good reason either. He was traumatized and willing to kill himself before killing them, if it meant saving the world. As for the discussions, before the earthquake.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Lessons_and_Revelations
Achilles: Tell me what happened, old friend.
Adéwalé: It was terrible, Achilles. The ground shook, and the ocean waves crashed over Port-au-Prince...
Achilles: How many were lost?
Adéwalé: Thousands. No family was left untouched.
Achilles: I hate to bring up practical matters at a time like this, but did Mackandal's man complete his task before the earthquake hit?
Adéwalé: I cannot know. Vendredi has not been found. He was a strong Maroon, one of Mackandal's best students.
Achilles: Such a shame. So we cannot know if he found the site.
Adéwalé: Indeed. But if there was a temple under the waves, I doubt it is still standing.
Achilles: And the artifacts that showed the way?
Adéwalé: Stolen. The Templars broke in during the chaos. They seized the Manuscript and Precursor box. I gave chase on the sea, but lost their trail when they reached New York.

Alright, fair enough. First earthquake has happened and he don't know what had happened. So naturally he will continue the search, memories later...

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Kyrie_Eleison
Achilles: Given your present knowledge of the site, this duty falls upon you. You understand what must be done?
Shay: Find the Precursor Temple and retrieve the Piece of Eden.
Hope: We finally obtained a ship for crossing the ocean. Have no worries, I will keep the Morrigan safe in New York.
Shay: Thank you. Liam and I will leave straight away.
Achilles: Liam is unavailable at present. Your crew and ship await. Be careful, Shay. Pieces of Eden are powerful relics.

However here is the kicker, "Pieces of Eden are powerful relics." While he have his strong Brotherhood he still expects to find an AOE. Seeing as he "won't let anyone destroy anything they've build!", then him having an AOE would make matters worse. He has mad grab for power and will do anything to not let anyone destroy his Brotherhood. Memories later...

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Freewill
Shay: So what's the next city you want me to smite?! What happened in Haiti happened in Portugal. A great earthquake. Thousands dead, thanks to your damned Manuscript!
Hope intervened, putting herself between Shay and her Mentor.
Achilles: This cannot be.
Hope: Shay, a person cannot start an earthquake.
Shay: A person meddling with these Precursor machines could. You saw the Box, Hope. The Temple was filled to bursting with that kind of power. You made me SLAUGHTER INNOCENTS!
Hope: How dare you!
Shay: You defend him? Achilles sent me in there like Mackandal sent his man in Haiti. He knew.
Liam entered the room and helped Hope with restraining Shay.
Liam: What the hell's going on? Stop this!
Achilles: The operation was delicate, perhaps you-
Shay: You are shifting the earth itself. Who are you to decide what city falls next?
Achilles: Get him out of here.
Achilles: I had such hopes for you, Shay.
Shay: Achilles. I have to do this.
Achilles: And what is it you're doing exactly? Stealing from your Brothers? Betraying me?
Shay: Someone must make amends.
Achilles: Make amends? You have no idea what you're doing. The future of the whole continent, maybe the whole word, is tied up in that Manuscript.
Shay: Perhaps. But we don't have the right to decide that future.
Achilles: The right? We have the responsibility!
Shay: WE are responsible for killing innocents and destroying cities! This... mad grab for power. It ends now.
Achilles: I will not let you destroy everything we have built!

First you have Shay who's angry and traumatized. While he explains what has happened they say it's not possible and accuse of doing something wrong while showing no care about the thousands that died in the earthquake. They understand what he said, however since they are fanatics they have the mindset of preventing Templars from getting anything wired up their own arce. Not seeing their own errors as they think Assassins isn't wrong and everything they do is righteous regardless of who that dies. Like Bellec who's from the Colonial Branch, he said he was willing to burn Paris to get Élise and to "save" the Brotherhood.

However here's the thing, Achillies knew of the previous earthquake and sent him regardless because he wanted an AOE. So after Shay explained it they where in denial and didn't believe it. First attempt at explain it went to ****, so his only option to prevent it from happening again is to steal the Manuscript and run(he never planned on joining the Templars. So he gets busted, guess who's mad? Achillies. So Shay tried a second time to explain that hunting for those Temples result in killing of innocents and destroying cities. Does he listen? No. He says he "will not let you destroy everything we have built!" and attacks him. Shay is forced to run as his mad Mentor won't stop and explain it is useless. He has a powerful Brotherhood while having an obsession with finding an AOE in a Temple. Doing as far as saying Shay did something wrong and that will continue searching.

After Shay's second attempt at reasoning with Achillies he's forced to run, Achillies orders his Brotherhood to stop him. So the rest of Achillies blind sheeps try to kill him while they say he won't stop them or their plans while questioning his actions. Then you have Hope trying one last time to get him to stop, saying "Give back the Manuscript, Shay. I'm sure Achilles-" Will what? Spare him? That must be a lie as their fanatics and extremist, they have targeted people in Assassination Contracts for as stupid reasons as the Borgia. That must be a lie, as icing on the cake you have Chevalier shooting him as he falls in to the bay with intensions of killing himself as "One more soul hardly matters."

terroAssassin
10-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Shay- Colonial Assassin's are the worst ever look how many people died because of them huh? Oh and they totally support gangs and criminals
What about the people? Will someone please think about the people?

Arno: Dude you remind me so much of myself when I was in my 20s luckily I grew up and accepted the creed's true meaning

Mr.Black24
10-08-2015, 06:14 PM
And to use on the colonial authority, it will result in casualties among the the people. I still find that hard to believe that they would do this, as they directly said that they would use it against only colonial authorities, such as Officers and Commander ranked soldiers. The facility they had was stock to hold more, thats all. I mean there is a lot of Officers and the likes around here.

Speculation. Plus considering that his Brotherhood is corrupt and extremist it does't make sense either, they are oppressing and terrorizing the colonies. They don't care about the people.

They mentioned that the gangs are allies, but the Assassins themselves are not directly oppressing and terrorizing the colonies. They are at fault as they did not keep them in check still.

By 1756, six headquarters existed in the various districts of New York City. Others were found in Albany, Lac Eternel, Two Bends and Halifax. The headquarters served as Assassin bureaus and local bases of operations for the Brotherhood. However, the citizens often suffered as a result of this, as the Assassins neglected to keep the gangs in check, and thus they terrorized the populace by stealing and demanding protection money from the inhabitants. In his hunt for his former associates, the Templar Shay Cormac evicted the gangs from the headquarters, and restored order with the help of the British Army. With the death of Hope Jensen in 1759, the gangs were dissolved as a major fighting force.gangs were dissolved as a major fighting force.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Gang_headquarters

So its a grey area in this one, albeit a dark shade of grey.

Hans684
10-08-2015, 07:33 PM