PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Is it just me or are there some people who just don't think about the game and give up too easily. When your paying about 30-40 for a game, you should really play it, fully, without asking for help everytime you come across a difficult bit.

Maybe it's just me (being an old git!), but have you never heard of... If at first you don't succeed, try try again?

Personally, once I had mastered the controls, I found it quite easy.

Daclot

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Is it just me or are there some people who just don't think about the game and give up too easily. When your paying about 30-40 for a game, you should really play it, fully, without asking for help everytime you come across a difficult bit.

Maybe it's just me (being an old git!), but have you never heard of... If at first you don't succeed, try try again?

Personally, once I had mastered the controls, I found it quite easy.

Daclot

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 07:43 PM
I would tend to agree. If you're going to spend $50 on a game, shouldn't it at least be challenging? To me, it is no fun to immediately ask for help when you encounter a part of the game that you find to be difficult. I am only 60% into the game at this point, and I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to reach some of the ropes. However, I'm going to be patient and give it my all and I'll eventually see what I need to do. There have been one or two other parts in the game that took more time than I had expected because I was confused about how to proceed, but I eventually moved on and I know that this time will be no exception.

After you've mastered the controls, instead of asking for help, I think it's better to go back and watch the visions again because often that solves the problem for me.

As you said, Daclot, "If at first you don't succeed, try try again!" Or, considering the nature of the dagger, "if at first you don't succeed, rewind and try again," even if you end up dead! Experiment with different ideas until you do get it right.

Of course, if someone wants to give up and ask for the solution, that is their prerogative. After all, they're the one who paid for the game. It's much easier to "give up," though, with the advent of the internet. Back before the internet was widely used, you either had to call the help line (which cost money) or go out and buy the strategy guide (which also cost money), so it was preferable to spend the time to solve the puzzle yourself. Now since it's easy to post on the net and get a free answer in a few hours, I think it's too tempting for some people to resist.

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 07:54 PM
hold the phone... POP was hard?

geez. I got 6 hours on my first run through, just a shade over 5 on my second go. Where were the challenges? *sigh* oh well.

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 03:28 AM
I would say that the game is one of the easiest I've played, but there have been a few points so far where I've had to wander around for a few minutes before I could figure out exactly how to get where I needed to go...

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it's pretty linear and straightforward. No real major problems. Got about 40% done on the first session before I had realised how far I had actually done.

I'm a bit staggered by the amount of "help please" requests posted.

Maybe I've just got the knack but I've finished two others since, done half of this one again to unlock POP1, and I'm now tackling Ghosthunter.

Maybe I'm just too sad?

XyZspineZyX
12-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Most of the problems I had I figured out quite quickly. But eh, for less experienced gamers, it proves a bit of difficulty.

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 06:05 AM
Dac, I, too am taken aback by the amount of "help" posts in here! I don't game as much as I did when I was a kid but more or less I'd say this was one of the easiest games I've played in a long time.

I fail to see the major difficulty. Maybe I just played too much Tomb Raider before picking up this game. /i/smilies/16x16_woman-wink.gif

And Dac, you're not "too sad;" to me it just sounds like you are a pretty big gamer and have gotten good at what you do!

I really enjoyed the game, though, so I wish it had been a little bit longer or more difficult. I am going to play it again, though, this time in Spanish. I love that they programmed other spoken languages into PoP!

Too bad the voice actors are from Spain. I am much more accustomed to Latin American accents. /i/smilies/16x16_woman-indifferent.gif I guess it fits with the game, though, since the voice actors in English sound like they are from England...

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Aaah, Tomb Raider. Now THAT was a good game. Got to say I've finished all the others. Haven't bothered with AofD yet though. Had a quick look and it's a bit pants. Might do it when I get bored.

Broken Sword 3's not a bad little adventure if anyone wants to while away an afternoon. Not as hard as the first two, but enjoyable.

As for the Spanish.... well, each to their own! I could probably play it again in any language (I just wouldn't have a clue what they're saying).

Aaahh, Tomb Raider......

That first glimpse of the room when your stood on the Sphinx's head...... brings a tear to me eye... sniff sniff.

Daclot

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Jenelle: oh I found that so funny that they were Persians with british accents! Especially since I hear the Persians hate the British...

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 07:18 AM
LOL Ershadi, I never thought of that! Good point! /i/smilies/16x16_woman-very-happy.gif I just stared playing again... Now they're Persians with Spanish accents. /i/smilies/16x16_woman-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 04:43 AM
did it just under 10 hours about.

definitely more fun (easy) than any of the previous prince of persia where i keep dying all the time.