PDA

View Full Version : AI improvements I'd like to see

Oso2323
04-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes folks, another post in a topic that's been done to death! So forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's some AI fixes that I'd like to see:

1. Formation discipline: on the initial attack, the formation stays together unless I tell them to attack. (In FB I've learned not to bother trying to maneuver up-sun and above as my AI squadron-mates will attack whenever they feel like it.) Breaking when attacked is another story.

1.b. When enemy planes are spotted by my AI sqadron-mates, they report it to me, the sqn-leader, but take no action unless I tell them to attack.

2. Some choice of appropriate tactics (i.e. BnZ against slow manoverable planes, etc.) In other words, exploiting one plane's advantage against another. Could you write a program in which the AI pilot had to decide whether to pursue BnZ vs. TnB at the beginning of combat? Right now the AI favours turning.

3. Enemy plane on fire = bad target.

4. No more kill stealing; or at least award half kills. Related to this - AI that doesn't kill me!

5. Emergency landing priority.

Are any of these suggestions do-able within the old FB engine? (And of course, within the time/energy development constraints of the team?)

[This message was edited by Oso2323 on Sat April 03 2004 at 05:00 PM.]

Oso2323
04-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes folks, another post in a topic that's been done to death! So forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's some AI fixes that I'd like to see:

1. Formation discipline: on the initial attack, the formation stays together unless I tell them to attack. (In FB I've learned not to bother trying to maneuver up-sun and above as my AI squadron-mates will attack whenever they feel like it.) Breaking when attacked is another story.

1.b. When enemy planes are spotted by my AI sqadron-mates, they report it to me, the sqn-leader, but take no action unless I tell them to attack.

2. Some choice of appropriate tactics (i.e. BnZ against slow manoverable planes, etc.) In other words, exploiting one plane's advantage against another. Could you write a program in which the AI pilot had to decide whether to pursue BnZ vs. TnB at the beginning of combat? Right now the AI favours turning.

3. Enemy plane on fire = bad target.

4. No more kill stealing; or at least award half kills. Related to this - AI that doesn't kill me!

5. Emergency landing priority.

Are any of these suggestions do-able within the old FB engine? (And of course, within the time/energy development constraints of the team?)

[This message was edited by Oso2323 on Sat April 03 2004 at 05:00 PM.]

necrobaron
04-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Good suggestions!

"Not all who wander are lost."

Oso2323
04-03-2004, 06:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by necrobaron:
Good suggestions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

I'm no programmer, but I think that the way around my first point *might* be as follows: on the initial attack, friendly AI will not attack unless the enemy is within a danger zone (say .8-1km) or unless the attack command is given. After either of these conditions is met the AI returns to attacking if the enemy is within 4-5km (i.e. the current default within FB).