PDA

View Full Version : a matter of ram. 2700 vs 3500

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 03:33 AM
Hey everyone. I've been considering upgrading my ram lately but i'm not sure if it would be worth it though. Right now i'm useing 512 ddr 2700 and i'm thinking of upgrading to 3500. Heres my question. If my FSB runs at 333,(amd barton 2500) would my system be able to take advantage of that extra speed? I'm a little fuzzy on how ram speed relates to the FSB.. Can somone help shed some light on this subject?

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 03:33 AM
Hey everyone. I've been considering upgrading my ram lately but i'm not sure if it would be worth it though. Right now i'm useing 512 ddr 2700 and i'm thinking of upgrading to 3500. Heres my question. If my FSB runs at 333,(amd barton 2500) would my system be able to take advantage of that extra speed? I'm a little fuzzy on how ram speed relates to the FSB.. Can somone help shed some light on this subject?

ZG77_Nagual
07-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Your there with the 2700 unless you plan on overclocking. Even then it may still work.

http://pws.chartermi.net/~cmorey/pics/p47janes.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 04:09 AM
I haven't tried going from 2700 to 3500, but when I did try going from 2100 to 2700, (back when RAM was a bit more expensive than today), I only saw something like a 4% increase in 3DMark type scores, and no discernible improvement in FB, so I took the memory back and traded it in on a 21 inch monitor - got much more "bang for the buck" that way. I doubt if 2700 to 3500 would give you much of a boost, but maybe somebody who's tried it will pitch in with their experience.

Wir sind die schwarzen Husaren der Luft,
Die Stukas, die Stukas, die Stukas.

... "Stuka-Lied"

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 07:03 AM
I would say the cost/benefit ratio is not there for that particular upgrade.

<center>http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetemp_both/language/www/US/TX/Dallas.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 08:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that the effect would be neglible. While an extra 512 MB would be a very good idea, I guess that RAM speed won't make much of a difference. At least not compared to a new graphics or audio card.

cheers/slush

http://dk.groups.yahoo.com/group/aktivitetsdage/files/Eurotrolls.gif

You can't handle the truth!
Col. Jessep

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 11:14 AM
NForce2 mobos(the older ones) can handle 400Mhz DDR-SDRAM. You'll get benefits only if you use an Athlon XP3000 or higher since they're the only ones that can make use of the higher RAM speed. You could o'clock a lower XP's FSB though. The new NForce2 mobos are all 400MHz certified(in fact thats the only difference between them andthe old ones).

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Get another 512 MB of 2700. The faster RAM won't benefit you nearly as much until you get a 800 Mhz FSB processor.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/_uimages/TBolt.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Ram is only one factor as is the FSB. Most folks think FSB is the speed of the comp this isnt the case. First off the comp stores rate everything by mhz because it was simple to explain to the public which the normal Joe 2.5mhz is faster then a 2. This isnt always true. To find the true speed of your machine you must add the FSB with the Ram and the processor speed, then divide by 16 this will give you the true speed in mps which is how systems are rated.

Now the new 800 FSB is faster for now you have a higher number to add, but older tweaked machines can still surpass this level.

Look at how intel and amd compare at the moment intel is bragging with the new 3.2ghz put up againt the 3300amd which was made to compete with the intel 3ghz. But after all the tests are done the only differences between the two is the amd runs hotter and the intel gets about 10 to 15 more fps. Now going back to the 3ghz to the 3300 your talking about 300.00 in savings for the amd, or leave it with the 3.2 with only a small amount of fps gained its not worth the money for it at this time.

Then you have the vid cards ATI vs Nvidia again its not that much of a difference between them to worry about. The bottom line is buy the best you can afford and hopefully you wont have to upgrade for a year or two.

You can also go to Pc pitstop.com and run free tests on your machine and it will tell you what to upgrade if anything or if it should be tossed out for a new one.

PlatinumDragon...