PDA

View Full Version : why so little torque modelling in FB?

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 12:46 AM
I flew Janes WW2 Fighters some time ago, but I seem to recall that some planes had torque modelled. So far, I've read that the P51 in the beta has little torque modelled, as do the other (regular) planes. Matter of fact, I made a mission in the fmb, and took off in the '51. It acts like all the other planes: little takeoff torque. I understand the Mustang had gobs of it, and one needed to be careful on takeoff. It's not too late for the Mustang as I've read that Oleg is waiting for a real Mustang pilot to OK the fm. Here's lookin at ya!
T

Speed is Life! But being a good shot comes in handy too. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 12:46 AM
I flew Janes WW2 Fighters some time ago, but I seem to recall that some planes had torque modelled. So far, I've read that the P51 in the beta has little torque modelled, as do the other (regular) planes. Matter of fact, I made a mission in the fmb, and took off in the '51. It acts like all the other planes: little takeoff torque. I understand the Mustang had gobs of it, and one needed to be careful on takeoff. It's not too late for the Mustang as I've read that Oleg is waiting for a real Mustang pilot to OK the fm. Here's lookin at ya!
T

Speed is Life! But being a good shot comes in handy too. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 01:28 AM
I agree, look here:

http://www.cebudanderson.com/Bud.pdf

Cheers,

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 02:02 AM
Ill say this about the torque model since I dont think Oleg will.They most likely have a very realistic torgue module and will be added in BOB.The place holder we have now is a very simplified model and so all the planes pretty much act the same.Then they change it on ground handling and try to give a little different feel for the different planes.You can see the transistion from ground torgue to lift off torgue as soon as you do.Youll notice the amount of rudder needed to counter the torgue is differnet.If you trun it off in Difficulty settings it doesnt turn off in sim.Lets give em a chance to give us some great torgue modeling in BOB and enjoy what we have now in FB/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 03:24 AM
good link, chdt. thanks. Wolfstrike, for the sake of arguement, suppose not all FB fans want to buy Oleg's BoB (just to get accurate torque modelling)? What we will be faced with then is what we have in FB now. Remember all the raves about how good FB is? Well, it's a great sim allright. No doubt about that point. But we still don't have the proper torque modelling, and I still don't know why. Maybe I need to post this in other forums?
By the way, I'm not a real pilot, so I can't go there. But I've read (more now) about engine torque, and how deadly it can be in high performance fighters. Why not let FB be a yet another cut above the rest?
T

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 03:59 AM
i think its to help people with no rudder on joystick takeoff. however FB had good torque effects in air

your job isnt to die for your country...its to make the other guy die for his

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 04:03 AM
But it IS a cut above the rest and will get better in BOB.I really doubt anyone who is into flight sims will not buy BOB.

From the very beginning of IL2 I was asking for a more realistic torgue model so I know how you feel/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Its not just torque that will be improved upon in BOB.I take FB for its strengths and have done this because I now know that Oleg will not keep improving this engine and has moved on to better things.

I really am looking foward to BOB since I feel that true torque modeling and also all the other factors will really make for a wild ride while dogfighting/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Later

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Torque? Try taking off the wrong way, and you'll find out real fast how much torque is modelled. Although with a proper take off it isn't very noticable. In flight it's not very noticable either.

I will admit is probably is undermodelled, but not that it really matters. I have more important beefs than a more realistic take off. I ease my throttle around anyway so even if it was modelled correctly I probably wouldn't see any difference.

Every take-off is optional, but every landing is mandatory!