PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else thinking -G inputs are too weak?

03-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Tried a couple of tests with the planes. Suddenly, I realized that I've never tried forcing my plane into an outside loop in IL2/FB/AEP.

Okay. Stabilize speed to about 350km/h IAS. Roll plane inverted 180 degrees, and push. I'll bet the pilot would be feeling oozy..

Nope, no luck. Couldn't do an outside loop.

Which got me thinking. I hear people complaining about how the AI makes bogus moves - but from what I've seen, there wasn't a single move which I couldn't duplicate or follow, the AI did.

Except.. the characteristic "pull up" -> "suddenly enter incredible -G" maneuver which the AI just loves to do. It pulls upwards, going into low speeds, and then, as if some invisible string was attached to the spinner and somebody pulled down on it, it would nose down, enter a big -G push and move away from my gunsight. Ofcourse, it's not hard to counter, but I was never able to duplicate that move. No matter how hard I push my stick forward, my plane would just refuse a quick -G response.

I tried giving heaps of trim before pushing the stick, but still no go.

Anyone else think that the effectiveness of -G inputs maybe a tad bit weak in IL2/FB/AEP?

03-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Tried a couple of tests with the planes. Suddenly, I realized that I've never tried forcing my plane into an outside loop in IL2/FB/AEP.

Okay. Stabilize speed to about 350km/h IAS. Roll plane inverted 180 degrees, and push. I'll bet the pilot would be feeling oozy..

Nope, no luck. Couldn't do an outside loop.

Which got me thinking. I hear people complaining about how the AI makes bogus moves - but from what I've seen, there wasn't a single move which I couldn't duplicate or follow, the AI did.

Except.. the characteristic "pull up" -> "suddenly enter incredible -G" maneuver which the AI just loves to do. It pulls upwards, going into low speeds, and then, as if some invisible string was attached to the spinner and somebody pulled down on it, it would nose down, enter a big -G push and move away from my gunsight. Ofcourse, it's not hard to counter, but I was never able to duplicate that move. No matter how hard I push my stick forward, my plane would just refuse a quick -G response.

I tried giving heaps of trim before pushing the stick, but still no go.

Anyone else think that the effectiveness of -G inputs maybe a tad bit weak in IL2/FB/AEP?

ajafoofoo
03-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Some of the evasion moves the AI does just are not possible.

You can try everything from dropping flaps, shutting off engine, prop pitch, and dive breaks; you will still never be able to slow down as fast as the AI does when it starts it's barrel roll crap.

Always have to zoom up to avoid an overshoot.