PDA

View Full Version : Ejectable fixed gear on Ju-87

ImpStarDuece
04-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Just read yesterday that the Ju-87 could eject its fixed gear! Might be useful if the pilot got into too much trouble

Does anyone now the truth to this or heard anything abotu it? I've been reading WWII avation books for 5+ years and this is the first mention i have of it. My source is reasonable (Ospery "Aces of the Eighth and Ninth") but i find this pretty amazing.

does anyone know if it could be modeled for a patch, would make for a good addition. Kinda tough to belly land a stuka when you have one landing leg shot off.

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!

ImpStarDuece
04-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Just read yesterday that the Ju-87 could eject its fixed gear! Might be useful if the pilot got into too much trouble

Does anyone now the truth to this or heard anything abotu it? I've been reading WWII avation books for 5+ years and this is the first mention i have of it. My source is reasonable (Ospery "Aces of the Eighth and Ninth") but i find this pretty amazing.

does anyone know if it could be modeled for a patch, would make for a good addition. Kinda tough to belly land a stuka when you have one landing leg shot off.

Heavy_Weather
04-07-2004, 08:10 AM
i really cant see where this would help cause the aircraft was slow to begin with. ejecting the gear would reduce drag a little but the engine wasnt capable of reaching speeds like that of fighter aircraft.

"The wise man is often the man who plays dumb."

Cess-Harp
04-07-2004, 08:15 AM
They did this for landing , not for speed.
When the aircraft landed with just one landing gear it did more damage to the aircraft and more risk to the pilots. So they would blow the landing gear that was left and then land..
And as I read if they did that , the aircraft could be put back into the air much quicker than if the frame was twisted up from the landing.

ImpStarDuece
04-07-2004, 08:24 AM
i think i can think of a few situations where being able to eject the landing gear would help..

just off the top of my head, if you were to eject the gear after entering a steep dive with a fighter on your 6, said fighter could get a rather nasty suprise in the form of a landing strut arriving through the front windscreen. Ouch! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/icon_twisted.gif

Will post other nasty ideas as they come to me, but dropping them on a transport convoy would but fun (just for the hell of it)

Mr_Brot
04-07-2004, 03:56 PM
If you want to reduce drag, ask your multiplayer teammates to shoot your stuka-landing-gear off. Or fly very close over a building or bridge maybe it is possible to rip off the gear without destroying the plane. I think I'm trying it out now...

azpilot
04-08-2004, 12:19 AM
I think the gear ejection was intended for badly damaged aircraft. that way there was no chance of losing a crew to a noseover\groundloop. I have also read that it was also a feature intended for ditching in water to aviod flipping the plane(for the planned Graf Spree)

Mr_Nakajima
04-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Fromm'Junkers Ju 87 Stuka', by Manfred Griehl, ISBN 1-84037-198-6, discussing the undercarriage:

"[An] essential change concerned safety in an emergency landing. The explosively jettisonable main undercarriage required by the RLM was first static tested by the Rechlin Test Centre in a still immature variant in the summer of 1942. Next, from March 1943 onwards, came the testing of the strength of such an installation. Dropping the undercarriage legs was intended to make possible a belly landing with the Ju 87D, even on unfavourable terrain, without excessively endangering the crew.. For this purpose, one explosive charge was installed for each undercarriage leg. At first, installation in the D-1 to D-5 was considered, but later, machines up to the D-7 and the G-1 and G-2 tank hunters were added. As the charge initially selected was too big and caused damage to the airframe, in the beginning of 1944 a reduced charge was installed with improved safety. The retrofit could be undertaken by four installers within five hours. Mostly, however, the conversion was undertaken in the repair shop at Wels.

The explosive device could be fired only up to a maximum of 250 kph, as otherwise both machine and crew were endangered."

ImpStarDuece
04-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Mr_Nakijima: THANK YOU!

Solved a mystery for me.

Now if we could only get it in the game.

Just thought of another coupel of evil ideas:
1) Fly above a bomber and explosively eject the landing gear into engines, cockpit ect http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/icon_twisted.gif
2) Fly inverted, Under a bmober and explosively eject the landing gear, upwards into the belly. Hey it mighnt be realistic but it would make one D@MNED funny track. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/351.gif