PDA

View Full Version : How to test an airplane?

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 07:53 PM
On various occasions one hears about the necessity to know the plane one is using. It is close to obvious that a pilot who knows the traits of his machine can do better, and I do not mean just reading the provided specs - they seem not to agree very well with the in-game characteristics anyway.

So, my question is, how do I "get to know" my airplane to squeeze 100% of it when needed?

I can imagine testing for high speed - on various altitudes, trimming to an ideal level flight, checking both the max. sustained (w/o overheating) and max short-time (till overheat) speed.

Also a maximal dive speed sounds easy to test http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif)

What is more difficult, how do I check for the max. climb rate? How do I find the optimal climbing speed?

What's more important, all those "turning" characteristics, such as corner velocity, are a mistery for me - could someone explain how to do the corresponding tests?

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 07:53 PM
On various occasions one hears about the necessity to know the plane one is using. It is close to obvious that a pilot who knows the traits of his machine can do better, and I do not mean just reading the provided specs - they seem not to agree very well with the in-game characteristics anyway.

So, my question is, how do I "get to know" my airplane to squeeze 100% of it when needed?

I can imagine testing for high speed - on various altitudes, trimming to an ideal level flight, checking both the max. sustained (w/o overheating) and max short-time (till overheat) speed.

Also a maximal dive speed sounds easy to test http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif)

What is more difficult, how do I check for the max. climb rate? How do I find the optimal climbing speed?

What's more important, all those "turning" characteristics, such as corner velocity, are a mistery for me - could someone explain how to do the corresponding tests?

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Set up a QMB. Select the plane you want to test. Have no Opponents or Target to test performance. Set "Complex Engine Management" and "Stalls and Spins" on.

Check Mudmovers

http://www.mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm

for Hardball's Aircraft Viewer. It has much of the info you're looking for.

While you're there, check out the rest of the site for other info, missions, campagins etc. This is undoubtably one of the best sites for IL-2.

For gunnery, start with plane of choice and set up Opponents from friendly planes. (Russian against Russian for instance.) They won't shoot back.

To test gunnery skills with Enemy planes, first set their loadout to "Empty". They can't shoot back.

As your skill increases, set "Default" loadouts for Enemy planes and set skill level to "Rookie". With each success increase skill level. Keep your skill level no higher than "Average".

ALWAYS keep "Realistic Gunnery" on. You won't learn how to achieve shooting solutions otherwise, especailly when learning defletion shooting.

Hope this helps.

<center>Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW<center>http://www.uploadit.org/files/230903-Beebop%20Sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 09:36 PM
First of all, I would like to learn my plane's climbing and turning abilities. The Aircraft viewer does provide with the turn times, but does not show the velocity one needs to use.

As for my tests so far I was trying to deduce the corner velocity by measuring the time needed for the 360 deg flat turn at various speeds, but
- the results varied wildly from day to day
- the speed was far from constant during the turn or/and
- the altitude was varying during the turn.

Mybe someone made similar though more successful attempts to measure things?

As for the climbing abilities/speeds, I simply do not have any idea how to measure it. I just seem unable to maintain a constant speed during the climb.

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Maintain constant speed during climb by gently controlling elevator, either with stick or elevator trim (if available). Too fast move stick back slightly, too slow move stick forward slightly. I have been using stick. Anybody use trim in climb tests?

XyZspineZyX
11-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Bump.
Is this the kind of knowledge that everyone is keeping to himself, or all this boasting about getting to know your plane that I read in articles is a pure theory?