PDA

View Full Version : Best sniper rifle



XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 09:04 PM
the best sniper rifle is the M24. you never miss your intended mark, unless you aren't skilled, and it has a simple recticle. the second best sniper rifle in Ghost Recon would have to be the M4 carbine. if you learn how to properly use the M4 carbine, then you can pick off the enemies just as well as the M24 can. the reason why the M4 carbine is second best would be due to the fact it has a low-powered scope. the worst sniper rifle is the .50 caliber semi-auto berreta. the berreta takes too long to for the recticle to settle and usually misses. so, in conclusion, if you're going into combat, always have a M24 and a M4 carbine. tell me what you think.

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 09:04 PM
the best sniper rifle is the M24. you never miss your intended mark, unless you aren't skilled, and it has a simple recticle. the second best sniper rifle in Ghost Recon would have to be the M4 carbine. if you learn how to properly use the M4 carbine, then you can pick off the enemies just as well as the M24 can. the reason why the M4 carbine is second best would be due to the fact it has a low-powered scope. the worst sniper rifle is the .50 caliber semi-auto berreta. the berreta takes too long to for the recticle to settle and usually misses. so, in conclusion, if you're going into combat, always have a M24 and a M4 carbine. tell me what you think.

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 01:28 AM
if you say so...imo both guns are horrible...

<center>http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/159002/gigasig.jpg</A></center>

Message Edited on 08/04/0312:03AM by Claudeboy88

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 05:25 AM
Friend, you clearly have not gained any Sniper Specialists or played multiplayer, where there are actually more than 1 Sniper Rifle. The M24 is a twig that fires pinecones compared to some of the guns up there....



www.thefudgesaidno.com (http://www.thefudgesaidno.com)

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 06:56 AM
baldmtnrnd wrote:
- the best sniper rifle is the M24. you never miss
- your intended mark, unless you aren't skilled, and
- it has a simple recticle. the second best sniper
- rifle in Ghost Recon would have to be the M4
- carbine. if you learn how to properly use the M4
- carbine, then you can pick off the enemies just as
- well as the M24 can. the reason why the M4 carbine
- is second best would be due to the fact it has a
- low-powered scope. the worst sniper rifle is the .50
- caliber semi-auto berreta. the berreta takes too
- long to for the recticle to settle and usually
- misses. so, in conclusion, if you're going into
- combat, always have a M24 and a M4 carbine. tell me
- what you think.
-
-


Dude there is no berreta rifle, it's BARRET!

Just tell me how come a 5.56mm Carbine like the M4 can be better than a full sized sniper rifle!??

If you're missing targets with the M82 ( barret ) it's simply because you suck at sniping, plain and simple.

Newbies...

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to add my scorn to that selection... but only coz you invited us to "tell you what we think"! The M24 is alright - it's a decent enough rifle. At first. Until you get the specialists. Then you'll find that the M82 blows it out of the water. Assuming you can shoot half straight of course. It has a better sight, is more powerful and more accurate (check the weapon accuracy stats in Igor if you don't believe that), although granted the pips take a little longer to settle.

My favourite sniper rifle, however, is the SVD that Astra carries - now that is a gun that knows how to shoot! As good as the M82 in all respects (but not as pretty to look at), it has a better second stage zoom, and the pips settle faster. And I love the sound of it.

Oh, and one more thing: using a carbine as a sniper weapon??? Where the *(&*&^*&^*&^ did you get that idea from??? If you want to be a sniper, use a real sniper rifle - they have better sights, a lot more power and instead of choosing which enemy to shoot (with the M4), you can pick which of his teeth you'd like the bullet to go through! (Oh, and one of the best views you'll see in the game is a guy's head explode in a puff of red as you zoom right in on the scope and pull the trigger...) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
the proper name for the SVD that Astra carries is the 7.62-mm SVD Dragunov sniper rifle; which is just a Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK-47) which has been modified with a longer barrel, the famous Dragunov stock, and can only shoot in semi-auto mode. it has the unique ability to keep its intended target in the scope sights longer due to its firing system. The .50 caliber sniper rifle, which shoots a .50 BMG rifle cartridge, has a effective range of 6000 feet or 180 ft past 5820 ft, or a mile. None of the rifles real abilities are present in Ghost Recon. the M24 shoots a 7.62-54 cartridge (.308 ) which has an effective range of 1000 yds or 3000 ft which is under a mile. All of the rifles are only as good as the shooter wants them to be which is the reason that i can out do any of the rifles with the M24 in Ghost Recon! Oh yeah!, I'm no newby. I'm almost finished the entire game, which was purchased a few days ago!

Sincerely,
The Professional



Gav80 wrote:
- I'm afraid I'm going to have to add my scorn to that
- selection... but only coz you invited us to "tell
- you what we think"! The M24 is alright - it's a
- decent enough rifle. At first. Until you get the
- specialists. Then you'll find that the M82 blows it
- out of the water. Assuming you can shoot half
- straight of course. It has a better sight, is more
- powerful and more accurate (check the weapon
- accuracy stats in Igor if you don't believe that),
- although granted the pips take a little longer to
- settle.
-
- My favourite sniper rifle, however, is the SVD that
- Astra carries - now that is a gun that knows how to
- shoot! As good as the M82 in all respects (but not
- as pretty to look at), it has a better second stage
- zoom, and the pips settle faster. And I love the
- sound of it.
-
- Oh, and one more thing: using a carbine as a sniper
- weapon??? Where the *(&*&^*&^*&^ did you get that
- idea from??? If you want to be a sniper, use a real
- sniper rifle - they have better sights, a lot more
- power and instead of choosing which enemy to shoot
- (with the M4), you can pick which of his teeth you'd
- like the bullet to go through! (Oh, and one of the
- best views you'll see in the game is a guy's head
- explode in a puff of red as you zoom right in on the
- scope and pull the trigger...) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
-
-

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Forget the sniper, my humble opinon. Snipers are fine for single play where you have all the time you need to creep around and some of the rifles are awesome. MP rules GR for me. Now I do have limited experience but I have tried using the sniper with little success than using a rifleman equipped with SOCOM or OICW (if incorrect you know what I meant). They have good scopes, rapid fire and accuracy.I know others prefer the sniper in MP and there weapons but I just can't see it because of the time limits.

http://webpages.charter.net/bigjames/geeksareus.gif



Kuebaldy! Homeless, Looking for love.


Message Edited on 08/01/0312:40PM by kuebaldy

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 03:52 PM
baldmtnrnd wrote:
- 7.62-mm SVD Dragunov sniper rifle

Actually, the proper name is Dragunov SVD. Not SVD Dragunov.

<font size=-2><font color=grey>
O, mijn God! Er zit een bijl in mijn hoofd.
</font size></font color>

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Uh... what's your point, baldmtnrnd?

You've pointed out to us that the M24 (your stated favourite rifle) has half the range of the M82 (in real life, which is pretty irrelevant when you're playing GR anyway). You've told us the history and the full name of the SVD rifle, which, again, is pretty irrelevant, and something we knew anyway... You also pointed out that the SVD can only fire semi-auto. So? It's a sniper rifle! That's what they do... The M24 you love is bolt action - not even semi-auto! And who ever heard of a fully automatic sniper rifle? That's not what sniper rifles do.

Completing the game quickly doesn't mean you're God's gift to snipers... I sincerely doubt you can outdo the serious sniper rifles (in competant hands) with the M24. Bear in mind that the M24 is the standard rifle, and the M82/SVD/L96 etc are the specialist guns. Why do you think that is?

Also, what constitutes a newby in your humble opinion? You say you've nearly finished the game, and you only bought it a few days ago... Sounds like you're pretty new to it to me. Maybe you're getting on well, but just a few days worth of playing it means you certainly are new to it. It's not a criticism, just a statement of fact. Play the game for longer (finish the game in fact!) and try a few of the mods kicking around the place and you'll learn a few things. A lot of things.

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 04:10 PM
kuebaldy, yeah good point. In single play, they're great, but MP is a different kettle of fish. You're up against proper enemies with real cunning and intelligence, not AI, and that means you have to do things differently. Cyclic definitely wins for MP - I like the OICW and the SA80 for that. You don't have time to set your shots up with a sniper rifle like you do in single player...

But the discussion's come about because the thread is about the best sniper rifle... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif What (sniper rifle) do you like? Everyone's got a favourite...

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Gav80 wrote:
- Oh, and one more thing: using a carbine as a sniper
- weapon??? Where the *(&*&^*&^*&^ did you get that
- idea from???

well, not exactly a carbine but i always use the 7.62 AR with binocs...you can snipe pretty much as good as with a sniper rifle....plus you can take it into small places without worrying about being blasted by a faster gun...

<center>http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/159002/gigasig.jpg</A></center>

Message Edited on 08/04/0312:04AM by Claudeboy88

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Gav80 wrote:
- kuebaldy, yeah good point. In single play, they're
- great, but MP is a different kettle of fish. You're
- up against proper enemies with real cunning and
- intelligence, not AI, and that means you have to do
- things differently. Cyclic definitely wins for MP -
- I like the OICW and the SA80 for that. You don't
- have time to set your shots up with a sniper rifle
- like you do in single player...
-
- But the discussion's come about because the thread
- is about the best sniper rifle... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif What (sniper rifle) do you
- like? Everyone's got a favourite...
-
-
Ok , I must admit I do like the M25 and has anyone else looked at the A10(T)? Found it in a riflemans kit I think came from Sealz mod. I thought it worked great as a sniper rifle.

http://webpages.charter.net/bigjames/geeksareus.gif


Kuebaldy! Homeless. Looking for love.


Message Edited on 08/01/0312:39PM by kuebaldy

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 06:46 PM
baldmtnrnd wrote:
- the proper name for the SVD that Astra carries is
- the 7.62-mm SVD Dragunov sniper rifle; which is just
- a Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK-47) which has been
- modified with a longer barrel, the famous Dragunov
- stock, and can only shoot in semi-auto mode. it has
- the unique ability to keep its intended target in
- the scope sights longer due to its firing system.
- The .50 caliber sniper rifle, which shoots a .50 BMG
- rifle cartridge, has a effective range of 6000 feet
- or 180 ft past 5820 ft, or a mile. None of the
- rifles real abilities are present in Ghost Recon.
- the M24 shoots a 7.62-54 cartridge (.308 ) which has
- an effective range of 1000 yds or 3000 ft which is
- under a mile. All of the rifles are only as good as
- the shooter wants them to be which is the reason
- that i can out do any of the rifles with the M24 in
- Ghost Recon! Oh yeah!, I'm no newby. I'm almost
- finished the entire game, which was purchased a few
- days ago!
-
-
- Sincerely,
-
- The
- Professional


Actually the M24 shoots the standart NATO 7.62mmX51mm ( .308 winchester ) and not the 7.62mmX54mm wich is the SVD DragunovāĀ“s caliber.

But the true is that calibers doesn't make a difference in this game, the 5.56mm carbines and rifles does the same amount of damage as the 7.62mm rifles( sometimes even more damage ), and the M82 and M98 doesn't fire as the actual gun, sometimes you have to fire 3 or more .50 caliber rounds on a target to take it down, how realistic is that??

BTW don't brag about almost finishing the game, i've finished GR in 2001 on elite, DS last year and IT in february this year.

XyZspineZyX
08-01-2003, 07:19 PM
you're absoulutely right, i can't outdo those other sniper rifles with the M24, IN REAL LIFE! it just a game, the rifles are pretty much the same and have the same knock down power, IN THE GAME!; and the only reason that there are specialists with different guns is because the game designers wanted the game player to feel as though they had accomplished something spectaculor when they unlock those characters and found fancy new guns; the M24 is just as good as those other sniper rifles. Oh, and by the way, there are some fully-automatic sniper rifles out there. Please don't make me sound like i don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to sniper rifles and their ammo, i'm an actual gun expert and soon to be gunsmith meaning i know what i'm talking about when it comes to guns.

Gav80 wrote:
- Uh... what's your point, baldmtnrnd?
-
- You've pointed out to us that the M24 (your stated
- favourite rifle) has half the range of the M82 (in
- real life, which is pretty irrelevant when you're
- playing GR anyway). You've told us the history and
- the full name of the SVD rifle, which, again, is
- pretty irrelevant, and something we knew anyway...
- You also pointed out that the SVD can only fire
- semi-auto. So? It's a sniper rifle! That's what they
- do... The M24 you love is bolt action - not even
- semi-auto! And who ever heard of a fully automatic
- sniper rifle? That's not what sniper rifles do.
-
- Completing the game quickly doesn't mean you're
- God's gift to snipers... I sincerely doubt you can
- outdo the serious sniper rifles (in competant hands)
- with the M24. Bear in mind that the M24 is the
- standard rifle, and the M82/SVD/L96 etc are the
- specialist guns. Why do you think that is?
-
- Also, what constitutes a newby in your humble
- opinion? You say you've nearly finished the game,
- and you only bought it a few days ago... Sounds like
- you're pretty new to it to me. Maybe you're getting
- on well, but just a few days worth of playing it
- means you certainly are new to it. It's not a
- criticism, just a statement of fact. Play the game
- for longer (finish the game in fact!) and try a few
- of the mods kicking around the place and you'll
- learn a few things. A lot of things.
-

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 06:52 AM
baldmtnrnd wrote:
- you're absoulutely right, i can't outdo those other
- sniper rifles with the M24, IN REAL LIFE! it just a
- game, the rifles are pretty much the same and have
- the same knock down power, IN THE GAME!; and the
- only reason that there are specialists with
- different guns is because the game designers wanted
- the game player to feel as though they had
- accomplished something spectaculor when they unlock
- those characters and found fancy new guns; the M24
- is just as good as those other sniper rifles. Oh,
- and by the way, there are some fully-automatic
- sniper rifles out there. Please don't make me sound
- like i don't know what i'm talking about when it
- comes to sniper rifles and their ammo, i'm an actual
- gun expert and soon to be gunsmith meaning i know
- what i'm talking about when it comes to guns.
-

You're right there is a fully automatic sniper rifle ( capable of 3 round bursts and sigle shot too ), it's the Russian Vintorez , it fires the 9.62mmX39mm round, plus it's silenced.

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 08:15 AM
M-24 No doubt! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

For Serbia and Honor!
63. Paratroop Brigade.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 01:29 AM
I hate the M24. It's bolt-action. I can't stand slow-*** guns. I prefer the SVD and M98. Sniping is great for SP, but in MP,when I'm fighting a worth-while opponent, give me the M249 or M60 any day.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Sorry to jump on the band waggon so late but I was bored so here's my opinion.

My best sniper weapon is the M136. Man that has some range & stopping power. if you can do a head shot with that oooh yeah LOL /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-Very-Happy.gif

Seriously though one thing I've learnt is not to start spouting off like an expert on guns in GR forums unless your an expert in guns /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

When plaing online I personaly like to use the OICW(without Nades) as a sniper weapon. That thing has a great range, stopping power & there's only a few maps in GR where a sniper would have much of an advantage. (like wilderness) so in my opinion on Multiplayer the sniper advantage is more in his ghile (I really hope I spelt that right/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif) than the weapon. But in maps like wilderness I think the SVD with silencer is superb for stealth, You can sneak around snipeing & it would take the opposition quite some time to locate you. The other sniper rifle thats a favorite of mine is M98.

"Scratch another one"

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 06:26 PM
M98 for the sniper. Loud, yes, but high rate of return fire - like your mouse, click, click, click equals kill, kill, kill. Get out there on Elite with that M24 and your Bantha fodder whilst reloading. Man I love Scott Ibrahim with that M98 for those reach-out-and-touch-someone moments. Other than that, I'll keep upgrading Will Jacobs or use Lovely Lindy, both packing OCIW/GL. On single shot, they can pick 'em off pretty well (you just have to get closer) and with a thirty round clip, you can double tap just to make sure. When it's close combat, Will or Lindy have those sweet three-shot or full auto (how much ammo did you say you had?) options to clean house - or street as the case may be. Pray but keep your powder dry.

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Oh, I forgot...that silenced job, fuggedaboutit! It bothers the bad guys about as bad as mosquitos, or maybe it's gnats I'm thinking of, or,.. well, pick your own local bug, but I think you get the picture. And silenced? Excuuuuse me! It don't take long for those lead-hose toting, foreign speaking goons to swarm on you, so go loud and hard people. Wars weren't won with quiet weapons. Your powder dry?

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Your right rshea
the silenced sniper weapon is very weak but if you shoot a tango in the face it still kills them with one shot. & online the quiet "putt" sound cannot be heard so I do feel this works well if stealth is high priority. I don't often use this weapon but when I do it's still "one shot one kill" you've just got to be a bit more accurate with your aiming.

"Scratch another one"

XyZspineZyX
08-05-2003, 04:36 PM
i use the Silenced Sniper too, but you have to admit...it is much harder to pick someone of as the runn across a street ...

<font color=dodgerblue><marquee>The following awards were awarded to Claudeboy88 by BuckoM on the fourth of August for prestige posting abilities.</marquee><center>http://jaih.optus.nu/img.php/wards.gif
</center>

XyZspineZyX
08-11-2003, 10:07 AM
M24 is good but the L96AW/P is better! Especially when its suppresed!



<CENTER>http://www.imt.net/~mele/images/ai_awsup.jpg



"There are two persons in the battlefield, me with my gun pointed at you and you catching your breath, loosing a lot o blood, DYING".

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 05:24 PM
guys the best sniper rifle is the m98 what is yall's prob and best rifle depends what lvl your at lol newbs (fng's) Fuking new guys

kuebaldy wrote:

XyZspineZyX
08-13-2003, 08:55 PM
DJProphecy wrote:
- guys the best sniper rifle is the m98 what is yall's
- prob and best rifle depends what lvl your at lol
- newbs (fng's) Fuking new guys
-
- kuebaldy wrote:
-
-
-
-
-Gee whiz how did my name get in this? I didn't write the above. But since I'm here.
I have played around with a lot of the snipe weapons trying to find one I really like. I'm no expert and won't claim to be. I only know what I like.
As I have said before I like the M25 but here lately I find myself to keep going back to the SR 25 silenced. I like silenced rifles. But! I have found what I think is the best all around weapon. The M4 SOCOM. My first choice in game play kitted with nades. It's great for sniping multiple targets even on the run, great scope, and quite. CQB is awesome. I now in SP equip the entire squad excludind demo's with it and replace the sniper with a rifleman using it. I only play the game. How it works in the real world I aint got a clue and don't care.
-
-



http://webpages.charter.net/bigjames/grunt_footman.gif

War will cease when men refuse to fight.
- Fridtjof Hansen

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 06:50 AM
I might as well join in too...
M98 or 7.62 mm
i like both and they have decent zoom and great stopping power

Don't mess with a big monkey with a handgun...unless you have an M-16

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 06:49 PM
umm both those guns are bad unless its astra galinskeys second one the 7.62 sniper or something like that. and how fast the reticle colses is based on the users weapon skill