PDA

View Full Version : Lighting In Unity (And Possibly Syndicate)

Wolfmeister1010
08-25-2015, 02:58 AM
There is something about the lighting in Unity that really bugged me. Maybe you guys noticed it too.

In the single player e3 demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzBJPOcmke0

As you can see, the game has very nice lighting, with good contrast between shadows and lit areas. The shadows are dark enough but not too dark so as to obstruct gameplay.

However, in the final release, many of you may have noticed that the lighting appears to be very "splotchy". I mean this in the way that Arno's robes had black "splotches" on them.

This is partly because of a graphical glitch involving shadows in Arno's character model that hasnt been fixed.

However, Unity seems to have had picked up, since the demo, a different lighting technique involving overblown contrast.

What I mean is this: Unity has a lighting technique in which shadows become incredibly dark in comparison to lit areas, and when the area becomes predominantly dark (like when walking into an interior) the game adjusts the exposure to even out the tones and create a brighter and more visible environment.

So, In the night time, sunset, or sunrise, when the sun is not bright at all, the shadows or more in tune and close to the colors of the areas lit by the the sun. Arno's robes look much more evenly shadowed. But, when playing during the day time, when the lit areas are especially bright, the shadows become much Much darker to compensate. This is why, in the day time, bright areas are overblown whilst the shadows become overly dark and saturated, creating a weird "splotchy" effect.

Turning the brightness up makes the shadows less dark but makes lit areas too bright and desaturated. Turning it down makes lit areas look better but shadows much too black. During sunset and morning, the two are much more evenly toned, creating a weird situation in which dark areas during the day are twice as dark as shadowed areas during dusk. This change of lighting and contrast occurred sometime after e3 and before games com.

The e3 single player demo had a much more realistic technique in which the contrast does not overflow the shadows when the area is brightly lit, creating even tones. It had a solid balance between the two tones that is impossible to replicate now.

Unfortunately, because of this technique, things like sweetFX do not work, since it is simply a filter, and the game has been hard-coded to dynamically change the contrast and the brightness of various areas of the scene, so there is nothing anyone can do to fix it.

Many other games have this sort of technique, but Unity's retail build uses a very over-exagerated version of it.

Do any of you guys comprehend this? Am I wrong? This sort of thing has just bugged me for a while, and I REALLY hope that syndicate doesn't do the same thing, although from the looks of it it already has.

Jessigirl2013
08-25-2015, 03:16 PM
Lighting and reflections in Unity I liked. (If only the game actually ran....:rolleyes:)

It put Watch dogs to shame... Those infinite reflections...ew

The lighting had issues of being too dark for interiors in Unity, But generally it was ok.

BananaBlighter
08-25-2015, 03:37 PM
I personally liked the contrast. The lighting in Unity was generally great IMO.

EmptyCrustacean
08-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Slightly OTT but I loved E3 Arno. He's stoic, ruthless and not to be messed with which makes the idea of him being so deeply in love with a Templar all the more interesting. He's not the weak willed little wimp we got in the game.

Anyway, as you were...

Defalt221
08-28-2015, 06:53 PM
I personally liked the contrast. The lighting in Unity was generally great IMO.

^ This. Unity had one good department: LIGHTING.

RVSage
08-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Unity to me had the best lighting, reflections and shadows in a AC game. :) The PC version looked beautiful because of it. Not sure how much of it was in consoles

Jessigirl2013
08-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Unity to me had the best lighting, reflections and shadows in a AC game. :) The PC version looked beautiful because of it. Not sure how much of it was in consoles

I know ;)

Makes me wonder how watch dogs was so dull IMO ;)

Xstantin
08-30-2015, 01:22 PM
I liked Unity's lighting, even if it was somewhat exaggerated.
Never liked the rain though

Gold31415
09-01-2015, 03:59 PM
The best way to play unity is not to use any SweetFX or any graphic mods. Just set your tv's dynamic contrast to medium or high, it looks more realistic.

CrossedEagle
09-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Well, Paris IS the City of Light! I find it so cool that the light in ACU actually comes from the sky. I know some people wanted more nighttime play in ACU, but the daytime in Paris is amazing! I can understand why they wanted to show it off.

Jessigirl2013
09-02-2015, 02:18 PM
I liked Unity's lighting, even if it was somewhat exaggerated.
Never liked the rain though

Unity has rain?????????

I think this shows how much I avoid it ;)

Xstantin
09-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Unity has rain?????????

I think this shows how much I avoid it ;)

that mission where Arno must tail la Touche def had it
it starts raining in freeroam now and then but imo it's not very good complared to ACBF for example

Fatal-Feit
09-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Sorry for derailing, but while we're on the topic of graphics, did the game get patched recently? Because I booted up the game the other day and the rain in Unity looks drastically better and far more noticeable than before. It actually looked better than AC3's, minus the lack of reaction from the world.

And on that note, is it just the PC version of Unity that has day/night cycles?

Xstantin
09-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Because I booted up the game the other day and the rain in Unity looks drastically better and far more noticeable than before.

Interesting. Looks the same to me (PS4), lamp lights in rain do look nice though

Fatal-Feit
09-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Interesting. Looks the same to me (PS4), lamp lights in rain do look nice though

Hmmm... Maybe it has to do with resolution? I've recently been playing it at 1440p and perhaps the extra polygons allows the rain to be more visible or something, I don't know. Probably not. --Doubt that's how it even works. But yeah, the rain was very noticeable. I remember it was easy to miss and forget it was there, but the last time, there were big raindrop particles all over the screen, almost half as dense as BF's storms. Next time it rains in Unity, I'll take some screenshots.