PDA

View Full Version : Missing Lens Effect

Kaffeebohnson
08-18-2015, 01:45 AM
I wonder: Why did you take out the cool "dirty lens" effect from the original game? Those specks on the camera when you looked into bright lightsources really gave ZombiU its unique look and lend the picture a nice grittiness (while also masking some less sharp textures)... thats kind of a bummer. The port looks pretty bland due to this imo. Was there a special reason to exclude it?

http://abload.de/img/zlcfzsc77f0sdyshkqzksvt.jpeg

DeaD1te
08-18-2015, 03:55 PM
tbh that was the ONE thing about the old version that put me off it... its like you/your character are wearing dirty glasses

UbiChrisMANG
08-18-2015, 08:51 PM
We had a meeting this morning to discuss certain points and one of them addressed exactly this question! Shortly after launch a bunch of people asked this question at various places (Facebook game page, Steam game page discussions, etc). Turns out there are 2 specific reasons:

1 - since your character isn't wearing glasses it just seemed stupidly out of place, frankly.

2 - this is a little more important: That effect messes with other effects in the backend coding, it is hard to make it "talk nice" and overlay properly with other effects. Mainly it degrades the global lighting system and can greatly effect how light plays throughout the environments. Too much of a sacrifice for that one effect.

Kaffeebohnson
08-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Since the effect worked pretty well on WiiU - is it basically a porting issue? Did they have to completely rewrite the render solution to get it onto other plattforms? And the "dirty lens" effect couldn't get perfectly replicated, so they decided to cut it? (A bit like the fog in the Silent Hill HD remaster not working as well as in the PS2 original)

UbiChrisMANG
08-19-2015, 11:06 PM
That's a good question. I wish I could answer it for you but they didn't specify at the meeting.

Kaffeebohnson
08-20-2015, 12:21 AM
Staring at lights all day, I found that the effect is still active in a veeery subtle way around some (not all) light sources. Curious.
It seems noticably simpler in its implementation, too (less complex interaction of the dust specs with the light)

But the point is that some portion of the effect is still in the game. I really wish you could implement an experimental option to reenable it in a future patch!

UbiChrisMANG
08-20-2015, 09:40 PM
That would be pretty cool. I've heard of no such plans at this time but if I do in the future I'll hit the thread up again and let you know!