PDA

View Full Version : The end of Assassin's Creed?

SebaBones
08-11-2015, 11:38 PM
From a user from Chile who played the very first Assassinís Creed when it launched back in 2007:

When I first played the saga I was blown away by it: the freedom, the setting, the characters, everything was awesome. Two years later I couldít wait for AC II to launch; I saw all the E3, games com and every demo and video, and developer dairy that was launch, it just was the best AC in the series. I was very impressed when it launched, it offered much more and better content than its predecessor: the day-night cycle, disarming guards and using their weapons against them, the story and the setting and much more were just impressive and had me playing for hours, entire days even months after it launched.

Then months later I heard another AC was going to be out a year later, and I was even more excited by it, to put it simple, it deliveredÖ Good story and setting, but Brotherhood felt more like AC 2.5 than a real sequel, but it was still fun to play. Next yearís Revelations was also fun, but its story was not as strong as AC IIís or Brotherhoodís.

AC III was some kind of a weird product; it was supposed to be the best AC to date, offering new mechanics and an entire new setting and characters: it sucked. While it was fun to see it in movement in the demos, when you played it felt strange not for the mechanics (they were fun, the ones for combat, the ones for exploration and parkour simply sucked) but for the setting; having such a huge space for you to explore was overwhelming, and the story didnít take any advantage of it. The best part of it was Desmondís story, which AC III gave a very satisfying closure.

2013 was the breaking point for the saga and when Ubisoft showed it couldnít deliver any more impressive AC games, starting by the tittle AC IV Black flag, breaking the tradition of titles with just number or just a subtitle, a hybrid between both that proved they were just simply lost. That aside, the story was boring and the mechanics remained not as good as before. But Rogue was when Ubisoft hit bottom, a recycled game from last year, just Black flag with another name on top. The story though, which sometimes proved to be good, ultimately disappoints by its weakness in some key moments.

2014ís Unity was the jump for the saga for the new consoles, it promised but finally disappointed: though good combat, improved and much needed difficulty and an great setting, a lot of bugs and a weak story finished burying it. Iím forgetting to mention the present settingÖ Simply horrible, what theÖ happened to the Juno plot?

Now, when I see Syndicate I really feel like Iím watching the same product over and over again. The demos haven't impressed me at all, not even the two character model they have adopted, or the hook, not even the setting or background story. Weíve reached a point where we can say that the AC saga has become the next Call of duty, launching games every year that deliver in sales but lack in quality gamers deserve. I lost that emotion for the next game to arrive, where I simply couldít wait to get my hands on it, where I count the months and days for it to arrive; not anymore. Why GTA games are so successful (V recently achieved 54 millions copies sold)? Because they take years to make, and they finally deliver in quality, story, mechanics, and innovation. Why am I so excited for MGS V The Phantom Pain? Because I havenít played a new MGS since 2008ís MGS 4 (obviating last yearís Ground Zeroes), and obviously because it just looks awesome. As the original creator of AC, Patrice Desilets said, you have to create excitement for a new product, because if I eat a really good pizza I end up very satisfied, but if you give me another right away, and tell me itís also good, I maybe try it but leave some for later. That hungry is lost.

Because AC sells, Ubisoft makes AC games. My advice? take time, give the saga a well deserved break. Take more time, think. Because from my point of view, the greed and the corruption abound in Ubisoftís ranks. I just hope that, years later (Iím not ever thinking of giving Syndicate a chance), I can play an AC game that impresses me as much as AC II did years ago.

Sebastian Opazo
@sebaopazos

CyrussNP
08-11-2015, 11:43 PM
I disagree. I have enjoyed every Assassin's Creed game and look forward to more. There are so many different time periods, settings and locales they could base the game in. I'm hoping the next one after Syndicate isn't yet another European setting though.

itsamea-mario
08-12-2015, 06:19 AM
I disagree. I have enjoyed every Assassin's Creed game and look forward to more. There are so many different time periods, settings and locales they could base the game in. I'm hoping the next one after Syndicate isn't yet another European setting though.

Stop killing the series.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Stop killing the series.

:p

@OP You're voicing concerns that a lot of fans have. Last year was the first time I skipped an AC game (Rogue) and I'm planning to skip Syndicate as well. Even a lot of the die-hard fans of this series, and I kind of consider myself to be one, are starting to lose interest as Ubisoft continues to pump out mediocre games. I still think the premise of the series is awesome and it has the potential to be one of the best franchises in gaming, but not if each game feels more like an assembly-line product than a work of art. I'm going to stay tuned in, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sanbutt995
08-12-2015, 06:33 AM
Assassin's Creed isn't dead. They've only had 2 disappointing games in AC 3 and AC Unity. If Syndicate is just as bad then the series will hit an all time low IMO. I will say I'm cautiously optimistic for Assassin's Creed Syndicate. But I will agree that after Syndicate it's time for Ubisoft to take a few years off.

Maybe come out with another AC game in 2018 giving the franchise 3 years to cool off.

itsamea-mario
08-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Assassins creed was ma boy. But i didn't even play Unity or Rogue, and i'm going to wait and see what the general reaction to syndicate is before i even think about getting it.
Used to be i'd order the most special special edition the moment it became available, now, there are other games i'd much rather get, y'know, games that have had time and effort put into them by people who care about what they're making? not soulless production line sludge.

LoyalACFan
08-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Assassin's Creed isn't dead. They've only had 2 disappointing games in AC 3 and AC Unity. If Syndicate is just as bad then the series will hit an all time low IMO. I will say I'm cautiously optimistic for Assassin's Creed Syndicate. But I will agree that after Syndicate it's time for Ubisoft to take a few years off.

Maybe come out with another AC game in 2018 giving the franchise 3 years to cool off.

It's not so much the number of disappointing games, it's just the sheer number and samey-ness of ALL of the games. Yes, Revelations is a good game, but it's also pretty much the exact same game as its immediate predecessor, with some nominal improvements. The same was true for Black Flag, the same was true for Rogue, and double or nothing, the same will be true for Syndicate. They aren't even trying to hide that fact. I agree about giving the series time to cool off, but if they come back in 2018 and release another game in 2019, then 2020, then 2021, then 2022, etc. then nothing will have been gained.

Sanbutt995
08-12-2015, 06:50 AM
It's not so much the number of disappointing games, it's just the sheer number and samey-ness of ALL of the games. Yes, Revelations is a good game, but it's also pretty much the exact same game as its immediate predecessor, with some nominal improvements. The same was true for Black Flag, the same was true for Rogue, and double or nothing, the same will be true for Syndicate. They aren't even trying to hide that fact. I agree about giving the series time to cool off, but if they come back in 2018 and release another game in 2019, then 2020, then 2021, then 2022, etc. then nothing will have been gained.

Yeah I get what you mean about the samey-ness feeling of the games. As a fan I will still play the games, but I certainly don't get as much hyped as I used to since the games don't have as much creativity.

I hope Syndicate can change that.

itsamea-mario
08-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Each new game should be at least as different from the previous as AC2 was from AC1.
Like, with a franchise like this they have a great opportunity. They can set a game anywhere, any period of history, telling any story. Each game could have it's own style. But no, they've made it like any other game with a singular timeline where each game kinda has to follow on from the next. The past 4 games, could have easily been the same character in the same setting, it's a guy and he uses guns and swords or maybe other melee weapons, maybe sometimes he has a boat and he has guys who help him yayyy. Then before that it literally was the same character for 3 games.

Like, what everyone has always said they've wanted is for cool games set in historical time periods, that's the thing at the heart of the series that initially brought people in. Tell an over arching story of course, you need something to connect all these periods, but don't give us 3 games about some italian guy followed by 3 games about the americas and boats and stuff.

I'm not especially coherent right now, i hope you get my point, variety!

Hans684
08-12-2015, 05:08 PM
When mankind ends...

king-hailz
08-12-2015, 09:59 PM
I agree with everything except Black Flag... that game had the mechanical problems that AC3 had but it took a risk and it worked in some ways. However I did notice that the best thing was the least Assassiny thing about it and the worst thing was the element of assassins creed. I personally don't want them to wait. I want them to stop and start making new franchises.

To reply to patrices comment, I wont be satisfied with pizza straight after I ate one, however even if I get that pizza everytime I'm hungry I will be bored. I need to try new things.

Which means I don't just want to wait for AC I want to wait for something else that will get me hooked and give me the giddy feeling before its released and give me chills when it is released!

Sushiglutton
08-13-2015, 05:59 PM
This is well written and I, in large, share your concerns.

D51-ClaudioACSy
08-13-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm an hardcore fan of the franchise since its debuts and all I can say is that for me AC will not be dead til we will have this Assassins-Templars war.

It's the main plot of the saga, but since ACIII, the story introduces so much ambiguity with a possible friendship with these two orders, that's why I think many of us leave.

For me, you are an Assassin or you are a Templar. You can change your minds and become a Templar like Shay, we don't have, until now, someone who become an Assassin after being a Templar:D, but you cannot be both Assassin and Templar

Namikaze_17
08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Whenever Su starts getting into video games again...

Namikaze_17
08-13-2015, 06:35 PM
It is plays better than it looks, i play it on AC Tour in Moscow - and its really feels more brutal then it looks on videos. I think mostly it feel better becouse of good sounds - in all videos that i see before i'm played Jacobe's demo, it does't not have a clean ingame sounds.

But im agree thats combat system looks strange if compare to Unity's (witch i think was the best).

I'm agree with GunnerGalactico that it looks not real when Jacobe jump(step forward) to enemy than make a hit and then make jump(step) back.
And then the stun enemys - they just stays like zombies up to 4 people and wait when you kill them. I think its work not right.

I think your post should go here mate...

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1243980-Do-you-like-the-combat

shamanio
08-13-2015, 06:55 PM
I think your post should go here mate...

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1243980-Do-you-like-the-combat

Thanks mate! Miss topic.

Namikaze_17
08-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks mate! Miss topic.

No problem.

Rugterwyper32
08-13-2015, 08:48 PM
See, while I feel this series has some quality issues in general, I don't feel it should necessarily end, and for a simple reason that I've brought up multiple times that is also a reason for it to be how it is: There is no competition proper for it. The closest I'd say it's had is The Saboteur, and that's it. If there were no 2D platformer Mario games any longer, that wouldn't be that big of a deal, there's so many more games in its style that there'll always be an alternative. Or what if there was no more GTA? Well, there's Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, Mafia and then a whole lot of GTA clones that just plug that gap. And so on. But AC is a very special case. Gameplay-wise, you might find stuff similar to it, but concept-wise? You can't find many historical games that aren't RTS games, much less that have the open world element to add that extra "historical tourism" aspect.
Personally, it's not that big of a problem for me to have yearly releases, it works as well for me as waiting a year for another season of TV series I enjoy, but I can see where the problem lies seeing how working on a big budget game can be quite time consuming, specially with the scope of this series. So I, for one, think that if they'll keep going yearly they should stop thinking of the "shiny new engine" and rather focus on keeping the series versatile and varied. Frankly, I don't mind if we don't see that huge graphical improvement between games so long as the games have consistent quality, are different enough from each other and have their own character.

pacmanate
08-13-2015, 08:54 PM
I agree with OP. Up until AC3 I was so hyped for a new AC game.

But it is becoming like CoD. You get a few reskinned things called something "new", they take things away and bring them back so they are "new". There is no innovation in AC anymore, there is no mystery anymore.

It pains me to say this because I use to think AC was one of the best franchises out there. Now to me its become stale. I could watch a Unity demo and a Syndicate demo and not know what was different. I could see AC4 and Rogue and not know what was different.

Honestly I dont know if I will buy Syndicate day 1. It all depends on a few things.

1. University
2. MGSV

UKassassinsfan
08-30-2015, 03:02 AM
I agree with a lot that has been said especially the comment above.
Until after assassins creed 3 I used to pre order and get so excited but even then there was a sense of doubt that it was abit stale, the last few years have confirmed it for me. I havent ordered any of the last game and just waited until they were cheaper. There is so much copy and paste with assassins creed it's frustrating! It's a brand I want to succeed but so much needs to change.
We might not know the story of syndicate yet but we all know that:
-we will hire people to join our creed
-we will be at every major event in London that year
-we will be find boring chests just because we want 100%
-etc you get the picture

Assassins creed hasn't felt new in a while now! I personally loved Ashraf's excitement and work on BF because the sailing was so fun. But as someone has already stated the least 'assassiny' parts were the most fun and visa versa.

I don't think I'll buy the new game unless I see that reviews have shown it to be much different

strigoi1958
08-30-2015, 10:52 PM
AC3 was awesome... why don't everyone who wants a 2 year gap between ac games just not buy the next one... problem solved.. all the rest of us can carry on enjoying the game. if enough people don't buy it that might make Ubi rethink the franchise... or even kill it off.... I doubt either of those things will happen.

If I don't like syndicate (I seriously doubt it) it will not be because it has different things to previous ac games that I like.... it will not be because Ezio isn't the main protagonist or Desmond isn't in it... it will be because it is not as good as I think any AAA title should be...